Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 447180 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
For those interested in the rumor mill, an IMDB reader posted this snippet yesterday--with the strict proviso that it not be quoted, but I cite it anyway in case there's anything substantive behind the rumor:

...I heard from a fairly reliable inside source that Chloe Moretz (Kick Ass, Let Me In) is going to play Carolyn (which surprised me a bit), and that Thomas McDonell (Disney's upcoming Prom) is going to play "young Barnabas," which makes sense as he does definitely resemble Johnny Depp...  (end quote)

No further comment from me about this. 

As for DC's reactions to what we have been told to date, I have a fairly good idea but will keep my thoughts to myself...  It's not hard to figure out though if you read up on DC's strategy in the 1991 DS and his input in the 2004 pilot...

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I think DC would like the cast. As for the script, I don't know.  However, as I said before I am not glad he died; however, I am glad he isn't invovled in this version of Dark Shadows.  And I hope that if he were still alive he would have been tired of it and handed it completely over to JD.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Chloe Moretz (Kick Ass, Let Me In) is going to play Carolyn

She's only 14. I suppose it is possible they could have made Carolyn much younger. But still...

Thomas McDonell (Disney's upcoming Prom) is going to play "young Barnabas," which makes sense as he does definitely resemble Johnny Depp...

Though that begs the question of why they would even need a "young Barnabas"? It's not a miniseries with the luxury of exploring many periods of Barnabas' life. And if there is any sort of flashback, one would think that flashing back to an adult Barnabas and his relationship with Josette and his becoming cursed would be more than enough to handle in a film that will likely run about two hours or less. Though I suppose they could have come up with something that's touched on briefly in Barnabas' youth that could factor into his adult life. But still...

I guess only time will tell if that info is real or someone pulling a fast one.

But speaking of IMDb and something that is real, I see where Rebecca Thomas has been added to the film's Art Department as the action prop buyer. I have to confess that's a position that I don't believe I've ever even heard of - or at least one I've never paid attention to as it's gone by in any film's credits. I wonder what actually constitutes an action prop, and just where does one buy them?

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Really odd news.  I would have suggested they play Sarah and David respectively.  However, Burton does love his flashbacks.  Let's give Barnabas a psychoanalysis:  Why does he hate being a vampire?  Because of his childhood, of course!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I think that DC would want a scary script, one that would be closer to House Of Dark Shadows than the show. I think he would want it to have humor but not to be "funny". So, if this script is "funny" as in a comedy, I don't think he would like it. I hoping it isn't that kind of script.
May you die before you want too.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Burton does love his flashbacks.  Let's give Barnabas a psychoanalysis:  Why does he hate being a vampire?  Because of his childhood, of course!

You know, that could be possible. And in the video parody that I reposted the link to in reply #2057 on page 138, they even poke fun at how often Burton's films blame childhood experiences for adult situations, so you really might be on to something.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
If DC was involved it would probably be and updated HODS or updated version of 1991. It's shocking that he let Maggie do a 360 in the 1991 version.  Of course we all know he didn't see eye to eye with everyone on the 2004 PILOT, which is one of the best examples so far of a version straying away from "DC's" vision.  From what I have seen of the 2004 pilot and heard about it I like it.  So I have cause to think I will enjoy the movie.  I went to IMDB.com but I didn't see anything about a young Barnabas or anything about Carolyn?   Hmmm......I just saw more posts about Micheal Sheen. I like Sheen a lot as Aro so I would love to see him in the movie.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Some have come close to what I suspect might be DC's opinion of actual humor in the Depp/DS film, while others are off. Though even the ones who've come close haven't posted specifically what I'm thinking - and that also surprises me because it's a subject that has been dealt with many times here on the forum. Though I do have to confess that it is something that I wasn't first reminded of until jimbo posed his question about DC. But I'll hold off a bit longer to see if it occurs to someone else...

I went to IMDB.com but I didn't see anything about a young Barnabas or anything about Carolyn?

It's currently the first post on the message board on the regular IMDb page for the film. (And until I noticed that it doesn't appear at all on the message board in the IMDbPro section of the film, I didn't realize that there are two completely different message boards for it.)

Hmmm......I just saw more posts about Micheal Sheen. I like Sheen a lot as Aro so I would love to see him in the movie.

He's a hoot and a half as Aro! And I don't know how I'd forgotten because the series is one of my favorites, but Sheen plays a large role in the Underwold mythology as werewolf Lucien. So, Sheen has played both a vampire and a werewolf - but if as we suspect, he might play Roger in the Depp/DS film, he'll be a mere human. Though I actually take that back because no one could actually describe Roger as a mere anything!  [snow_laugh]  And I really do think Sheen could do so much with him. Well, IF he does the film, and IF he plays Roger...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
The more I think it about maybe DC would have enjoyed a bit of humor. After all he decided to change Willie into a funnier character on the 1991 DS.  He sort of expressed in an interview that He and Barnabas would be the odd couple.  So now that I think about it, perhaps DC wouldn't mind a bit humor like that injected into the story.  I thought Jim Fyfe was a lot of fun and a good break from all the crazy drama.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Bingo, Taeylor!  [thumb]  DC himself specifically injected Jim Fyfe's Willie into the '91 Series because he thought all the dark elements of the story needed humor to balance them. (DC said as much in several print and video interviews at the time the '91 Series was in production, as well as afterward. One remark I remember distinctly is DC saying the show "needed a few laughs between all the biting and tearing.") It was also DC who pushed for Millicent to be comic relief during the 1790 storyline. In fact, it was DC who pushed for all the comedic elements in the '91 Series. And considering that he did so then, it's probably quite likely that he would be all for the humor that's being injected into the Depp/DS film.

Offline usffan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Count me as one who wasn't that big of a fan of Jim Fyfe's version of Willie.  I found him to be a little too buffoonish for my own tastes.  I remember when Angelique's likeness first appeared (when Barnabas threw her picture into the fire) and seeing Willie on the floor hiding behind Barnabas as just one example.  It goes to my earlier point about how I didn't let somebody's interpretation (Fyfe's Willie) detract from my ability to enjoy the overall series. 

I've been thinking more about the 1970's setting and remembered how the movie Love at First Bite had George Hamilton's Dracula suffer the effects of drinking the blood of a drunkard.  Given the free flow of drugs from the '70's, it opens the door to Barnabas feeling the effects of marijuana (would it make him MORE blood hungry?), quaaludes or cocaine.  In fact, what happens when Barnabas' reflection doesn't show up in a coke mirror?  Or on a mirrored ceiling (another vestige of the hedonistic '70's)? 

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
a 14 year old carolyn? vicki as a waitress? julia as a lush? angelique as "big in town"?

it doesn't sound like this version of DS is going to be something we're all familiar with. i realize that "we" are not necessarily the target audience for this thing but it seems like lots of unnecessary changes are being made.

hmmm... [snow_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Thomas McDonell (Disney's upcoming Prom) is going to play "young Barnabas," which makes sense as he does definitely resemble Johnny Depp...

Confirmed in Variety today.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thanks, Phil.  [snow_smiley]

And here's a link to the article:

McDonell joins 'Dark Shadows' cast
Depp, Pfeiffer already attached to Burton pic

So Carolyn may very well be played by a 14-year-old. Wow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Also just discovered this on deadline.com: Thomas McDonell Graduates From 'Prom' To 'Dark Shadows' - which more importantly says (as we suspected):

"I've also heard that Michael Sheen is in early discussions to play the role of Roger, the conniving brother of Elizabeth Collins Stoddard (the role being played by Pfeiffer)."