Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 447266 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #1620 on: December 03, 2010, 05:56:44 PM »
Interesting speculation, Cathy. I wasn't aware that Depp sometimes starts to do that sort of thing, so it's fascinating to hear about how he'll try little things before production to get into the mindset of his next character.

And thanks for posting the link to the Chicago Sun-Times piece.  [santa_smiley]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1621 on: December 05, 2010, 11:35:24 PM »
I just picked up the new January 2011 issue of Vanity Fair, which has a cover story on Johnny.  It's a very cool issue because Johnny is interviewed by Patti Smith, who has become a good friend of his in the past few years.  There are only two brief mentions of DS, one where Patti observes the script sitting in Johnny's trailer, and another at the end of the interview when she asks him about.  His response is brief but very enthusiastic (and peppered with colorful language, but in a good way :)).

Interestingly, Patti has picked up on and described the phenomenon of Johnny beginning to dress like and seem like each new character he's playing, including Paul Kemp (The Rum Diary), Mad Hatter, Frank (The Tourist) and Captain Jack.  So again, it remains to be seen whether Johnny is currently giving us any clues about Barnabas.

Unfortunately, the whole article isn't online, but you can see an overview on their site:

Johnny Depp Talks to Patti Smith About Working with Angelina Jolie, Jack Sparrow, and His Own Musical Aspirations

and find the magazine on your newstand!

Cathy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: December 05, 2010, 11:44:56 PM »
I'll be out (hopefully) finishing my Christmas shopping tomorrow night. I'll definitely check the interview out over a cup of coffee at B&N.  [santa_wink]  Thanks for the heads up.  [santa_smiley]

Patti observes the script sitting in Johnny's trailer

If only she hadn't been a friend but an unscrupulous journalist who would have stolen the script and put it up on eBay!  [santa_azn]  ... Oops - did I actually just say that? Bad MB!!  [santa_embarassed]  And I certainly don't condone that sort of behavior. But we haven't got the first clue of what the script might be like. And while I wouldn't actually want to know too much about it because that wouldn't leave anything to learn and to be excited about when we actually do get to see the film (hoDS was definitely a case where way too much came out before the film had even opened), I know I'm not the only one who's dying for any sort of tidbit.

Patti has picked up on and described the phenomenon of Johnny beginning to dress like and seem like each new character he's playing

It's definitely even more interesting to learn that others are also noticing how Depp likes to dress in ways that help him get into the mindset of his upcoming characters.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: December 06, 2010, 02:04:07 AM »
He probably won't talk about DS because he'll be there to promote The Tourist, but I just saw that Depp will be on David Letterman Tuesday night.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1624 on: December 06, 2010, 02:26:10 PM »
Glad to hear Johnny talk about DS! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: December 07, 2010, 05:27:31 AM »
I have been away for a bit but I just noticed that at the imdb DS website they posted that actress Kirsten Van Wagner is Victoria Winters. Is this old news or most likely not true?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077368/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: December 07, 2010, 06:01:34 AM »
If true, that is major news. But I have no idea where it's coming from. Perhaps someone who uses Facebook can track down her page there to see if anything has been posted about Depp/DS film...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: December 07, 2010, 06:20:32 AM »
Not that this necessarily means anything, but searches of Variety and The Hollywood Reporter bring up nothing - and there are no tweets about the Depp/DS film on her Twitter page. (And though one of her latest tweets says she's obsessed with vampires, it was made way back on April 6th.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: December 07, 2010, 06:29:47 AM »
Apparently some German Web sites are somehow connecting Kirsten Van Wagner to the Depp/DS film and also mentioning the role of Victoria Winters - but I don't read German, and who knows if the translations in Google are correct enough to trust...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: December 07, 2010, 07:13:39 AM »
Sorry MB I mised some of your previous posts.

I would have thought the DS producers would be looking for a bigger name for the Victoria Winters role but I guess that doesn't necessarily have to be the case.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: December 07, 2010, 07:14:02 AM »
If she really has been cast as Vicki, what would be funny is that I just bought someone The Blind Side DVD as a Christmas gift, and apparently she has a small part in that film...

And no need to apologize, jimbo. When people are posting close together, some posts are bound to be overlooked.  [santa_wink]

As for a bigger name, considering that it's going to be shot in England, I've actually been anticipating that several English actors/actresses might be cast in the film - actors/actresses that many of us may have never heard of. But I suppose we'll see...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: December 07, 2010, 07:25:21 AM »
I did see that movie but I don't recall seeing her in the movie.

Her name came out of nowhere. Glad we are not betting on who may be casted. jk I would like a bigger name but if she fits the role then that is fine with me.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: December 07, 2010, 05:02:18 PM »
This video was uploaded today at Youtube from an MTV interview and Depp speaks very briefly about the Barnabas character; uses the words strange and outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P5cJ2XfZoY

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: December 07, 2010, 05:44:44 PM »
Nice. Thanks for posting the link, jimbo.  [santa_smiley]

Now, if only something beyond IMDb (and some seemingly obscure German Web sites - which may have actually picked up on what's on IMDb) would confirm (or deny) Kirsten Van Wagner's casting as Vicki...