Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 450121 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #855 on: March 24, 2009, 12:37:16 AM »
I would mind that dom...I just would like to see Victoria part of the movie, after all she started this crazy train!  LITERALLY! ;)

YAY my 1100 post. I am eyeing that GOD position.  I reached Seniority pretty quickly, however, I have a while to go. LOL Sorry for straying!   [easter_grin]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 24, 2009, 05:08:13 AM »
Well, you have got to have the Josette angle in order for it to be Dark Shadows, but I would prefer it to be similar to the original Barnabas/Josette storyline with Maggie and the kidnapping.  Frankly, I think that would make the film a lot more interesting than going with a re-do of the 1991 series. 

Victoria could be the heroine, and find out that Barnabas is holding Maggie captive... 

Offline johnpeternyc

• Junior Poster
  • Hi kids!
    • View Profile
    • Our NEW Web Page
Anyone see this comment by AOL Editors relative to the new DS movie?
« Reply #857 on: March 24, 2009, 07:31:17 PM »
They said the new Depp film is an uneccesary remake. 

You have to click through the pix on the popeater application in the middle of the page.  However, DS is there.

Here is the link:  http://www.popeater.com/movies/article/unnecessary-remakes-these-got-made/269371

OY

John

[Admin note: Check out #13 of 29 in the slideshow]

Dr. John "DJ" Schaefer
johnschaefernj@aol.com

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 24, 2009, 08:21:59 PM »
Oy is right John!  [easter_rolleyes]

But their question, "How many times does a TV show need a reinvention?" is a bit disingenuous. It's something akin to asking "How many times does a classic play need to be restaged?"

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 24, 2009, 08:26:53 PM »
It's a good thing that the 2004 pilot was not mentioned or the writer may have really flipped. Anyway what is the writer's problem? Hopefully his article gets buried.

Offline johnpeternyc

• Junior Poster
  • Hi kids!
    • View Profile
    • Our NEW Web Page
« Reply #860 on: March 24, 2009, 08:29:56 PM »
I agree MB! 
Dr. John "DJ" Schaefer
johnschaefernj@aol.com

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 24, 2009, 08:35:10 PM »
At least the comments regarding the Depp/DS film disagree:

BEAReCUB

06:10 PM Dec 15 2008

The Willy Wonka film with Depp was fantastic, but it shouldn't be looked as a comparison, more like a different version. And as far as Dark Shadows goes, I was/am a HUGE fan of the series and I look forward to the movie version. Again, I don't think remakes should be compared to its predescessor, instead all remakes need to be viewed on its own merits...

whiteley9468

03:27 PM Dec 15 2008

... I can see Depp/Burton doing a incredible job in Dark Shadows. ...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 24, 2009, 10:59:14 PM »
Just curious if someone here has access to the Production Weekly publication since there has been some type of update on the DS movie project as DS was listed in this particular edition.

Production Weekly - Issue 653 - Thursday, March 26, 2009 / 130 listings - 24 pages I think someone here posted a listing from this publication before(?)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 25, 2009, 04:39:30 AM »
I don't know about Production Weekly (perhaps madscntst will be able to provide the new listing as she did the first), but for what it's worth, and who knows how much that is because one never knows who is actually updating the info, there have been some changes made to the IMDbPro listing for the Depp/DS film. For one, the status has gone from unknown to there being a script (and I presume that means a completed script). For two, Tim Burton Productions has been added to the list of company credits (yet another indication that Burton will indeed direct even though no one is confirming that yet). And there is a provisional start date of the fall.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #864 on: March 25, 2009, 05:07:45 AM »
Thanks MB.  I can't view this since I don't have IMDB.com pro!  So if they shoot in the fall of 2009, maybe a release date of 2010 (perhaps Halloween) we could see it in theaters.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #865 on: March 25, 2009, 12:24:38 PM »
Sorry folks, there is a site to find old Production Weekly's, but I don't know about new ones.  The last one I've seen is from Jan. 15, so I guess they're about 2 months behind.  It'll be interesting to see what it says!  I still hope Sam Sarkar is right in that something will be officially announced about it soon.

Meanwhile, Johnny is in Puerto Rico for The Rum Diary, which starts filming on Monday.  Hope all gets done on schedule!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 25, 2009, 01:55:09 PM »
Thanks MB and madscntst for your responses regarding Production Weekly's most recent DS update. Production Weekly gives me the appearance of it being far superior to IMDb. I don't know if P.W.'s verification process is more stringent than IMDb's but it looks like it is. Again I don't know what the professional reputation P.W. has in the movie industry but at least perhaps the update was of some significance and an accurate one. MB thanks also for keeping us up to date with the news that is posted at the IMDbPro site. I do agree with Taeylor and hope that the movie is released in 2010.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #867 on: March 25, 2009, 04:17:15 PM »
OT: Thanks for agreeing but I really need to check my post's twice over before posting. Mistakes...Lord..... [easter_rolleyes]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 25, 2009, 06:56:27 PM »
Production Weekly gives me the appearance of it being far superior to IMDb. I don't know if P.W.'s verification process is more stringent than IMDb's but it looks like it is. Again I don't know what the professional reputation P.W. has in the movie industry but at least perhaps the update was of some significance and an accurate one.

Well, for what it's worth, the last time Production Weekly listed the Depp/DS film, they said the film is about a dream in which a girl takes a long train ride to visit a large mansion instead of being based on DC's dream. So, simply going by that, I wouldn't necessarily say everything they publish is accurate.  [easter_wink]  Whoever came up with that description definitely screwed up a bit.  [easter_rolleyes]  They also listed Tim Burton as director, which is something TPTB are still refusing to confirm or deny, so chances are very good that the info in the listing didn't come directly from TPTB.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #869 on: March 25, 2009, 08:39:36 PM »
The more I think about it I really hope Tim directs.  I just think he has the knack for it! Also,even if he doesn't return for the franchise that we hopefully get, he could really set the tone and a new director could do number two much like the Twilight and Harry Potter franchise movies are doing.

OT:  I forget who commented on Joanna Going, but if I had to go with a dead on perfect casting for the Revival it would be her and Barbara Steele.