Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 446675 times)

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
I stand corrected! But I do agree that Michelle Pfeiffer has all the requisite glamor and more. If they'll just make her a brunette, my happiness will be complete.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
But would Elizabeth Collins Stoddard, the Mistress of Collinwood, wear a gown with that kind of décolletage?
On atleast the very first episode, yep:

And if she's played by Michelle Pfeiffer, definitely. (Though we can't be sure Liz won't be a blonde in the film.  [snow_wink])

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Very nice.

We can only be so lucky that the film turns out "to be a big boxoffice success."

Interesting that they're still mentioning an April start.

And in the tradition of Julia having big hair in a theatrical version of DS, one can only hope that the hairdressers for the Depp/DS film will have HBC wearing her hair similar to the photo of her used in the clip:

[snow_wink]

And as always, thanks for the link, jimbo.  [snow_smiley]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
And in the tradition of Julia having big hair in a theatrical version of DS

HA!  I remember when we had HODS as part of a Halloween horror movie marathon in college, and the blurb for that movie said something like "And check out Grayson Hall's pre-punk hairdo!"

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I've warmed up nicely to the idea of HBC as Julia. She's talented, and has good chemistry with Depp.
I am completely shocked by the suggestion of Pfeiffer as Liz. I would never have picked her ( I wanted KLS) but hse's talented and will no doubt be very good in the role. I'm encouraged by the interesting casting.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I honestly don't understand why hair color is important to some people; however, I respect their opinion's. My stance is if they are a good actor and do the role justice that is all that matters.  What about HBC, does anyone think she needs to be a redhead for the role of Julia?
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I don't see hair color being all that important in casting. I'll have no problem accepting a blond Liz or a brunette Julia as long as the acting and writing is top notch.
The description of Viki being a waitress seems odd, why not make her Maggie then? I'm not terribly bothered by the Magtoria  effect, but at the same time, if they do combine the two characters I'd like there to be a good reason for it.
I wonder if there will be any hints to the Victoria/Collins connection with her being an orphan. I wouldn't expect it since there will be a lot going on.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Well, I don't really know how I feel about a blond Dracula or a blond Frankenstein Monster....  So, I can understand some people's hesitations towards their favorite characters being physically altered. 

I'm fine with HBC's hair for Julia, but if they change it up a bit, that's fine too! 

I'm used to Joan's hair for Liz, so I'd like to see dark hair for the role, but Michelle keeping her natural hair isn't gonna make me dislike her performance or her take on the role. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
We don't know for sure that Vicki is a waitress. Many entertainment Web sites are jumping to that conclusion - but just as many are jumping to the conclusion that Vicki is a governess.  [snow_undecided]

All we do actually know is that the character who's supposedly a waitress and who resembles Barn's long-lost love will be played by Bella Heathcote. But for some reason(s) that may or may not make any sense in the future, Variety is not reporting the character name of the waitress.

So, at this point anything about Vicki would appear to be speculation...

Changing reels, I see that another person has been added to the film's art department: James Carson has been hired as the film's concept artist. And apparently he's already worked with Rick Heinrichs on several other films.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Well, I don't really know how I feel about a ... blond Frankenstein Monster

You'd need look no further than Dan Curtis' TV adaptation of the Frankenstein tale:

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/dvd/reviews/article_1369524.php/DVD_Review_Frankenstein_1973
(best image of Bo Svenson as the monster is halfway down the page)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Variety is well aware of the fact that it has not reported the role Bella will be playing in the movie. I wrote to the writer of Variety's last DS article and brought this ommission to his attention. The writer responded with "Thanks for writing". Oh well I gave it a try but I really didn't expect him to be very responsive. So the bottom line is Variety is not reporting Bella's character either because they simply don't know or most likely it was told by TPTB not to divulge it for whatever reason.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It would certainly appear that the omission of any character name is deliberate on Variety's part. Once could be an oversight, but not three times. And as I said, I find the fact that it's happened three times to be fascinating.

And as for Dracula's hair color, I've seen actors with black, brown, blond and gray hair play him. About the only hair color I haven't seen is red - but there's probably at least one out there somewhere...

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
ACK, Midnite!  You have shattered all of my dreams!  Never have seen the Curtis Frankenstein and have only seen part of his Dracula.  I plan on watching all of Dracula very soon.  At least, Palance looks the way I envision part.  (And, I'm also fine with gray and white-haired Draculas, but the blond throws me a bit.)  From what I've seen of the Curtis movie, it reminds me a lot of Hammer's take, except for that exceptional music box melody, which must be the work of Robert Cobert.  

Speaking of Bob, when do we suppose we'll hear who shall be doing the music for the film?  Is that usually done after filming is complete?