Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 450188 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #765 on: February 03, 2009, 11:35:52 PM »
Article suggests that Tim Burton is applying pressure on the cast of his Alice movie to prevent details from leaking out to the public. His style may be the same with the DS movie

I honestly hope that Burton is able to keep a lid on much of the Depp/DS film - at least plotwise. There's nothing worse than knowing practically everything about a film before seeing it, which was the case with hoDS. One magazine even published a nearly complete synopsis (save for the very end) of hoDS! Spoilers are most definitely not a current/Internet phenomenon...

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 03, 2009, 11:52:37 PM »
Me too, MB. There usually isn't any reason for the public to know anything about a planned project beforehand.  The secrecy makes it all the more something to look forward to and I am definitely looking forward to seeing how this project turns out.

I honestly hope that Burton is able to keep a lid on much of the Depp/DS film - at least plotwise. There's nothing worse than knowing practically everything about a film before seeing it, which was the case with hoDS. One magazine even published a nearly complete synopsis (save for the very end) of hoDS! Spoilers are most definitely not a current/Internet phenomenon...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: February 03, 2009, 11:53:04 PM »
I agree with you MB regarding that steps should be taken to safeguard the plot to the DS movie especially in light of the fact  that the writer make take us on a different journey from the previous storylines ie... how and by whom Barnabas is discovered, what time period will they open the movie with etc.... I do think that having actors deny that they are in a movie is a bit too much for me if that is what is being asked of them.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 04, 2009, 12:19:28 AM »
I'm just guessing that maybe it is easier to simply deny being involved in a project that way the questions will stop or at least stop for the moment.  The mantra answer being "I'm not involved."

I do think that having actors deny that they are in a movie is a bit too much for me if that is what is being asked of them.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 04, 2009, 12:55:54 AM »
I agree with you Nancy on your post. It does make allot of sense. I guess in Hollywood ethics and honesty may not be the wisest approach in dealing with the hounding media. That is unfortunate and I don't agree with it but I guess it is necessary at certain times. Now if Johnny Depp denies he is playing Barnabas Collins.........

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: February 04, 2009, 03:04:39 AM »
Yes, that will be quite funny if he does, lol.   [snow_silly]

Now if Johnny Depp denies he is playing Barnabas Collins.........

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: February 05, 2009, 10:30:33 PM »
According to this article, Depp's The Rum Diary  begins shooting in March.  http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/zap-amberheardjoinsjohnnydepprumdiary,0,5311434.story

ProfStokes

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 05, 2009, 10:46:44 PM »
Depp's The Rum Diary  begins shooting in March.

That would certainly seem to jibe with what we've been led to believe about the DS film. If things are still on track as Richard Zanuck claimed, the Depp/DS film won't begin shooting until sometime in late summer, and I would take that to mean somewhere about August/September. In time for some updates at this year's Fest? One can only hope...  [snow_wink]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #773 on: February 06, 2009, 03:00:46 AM »
Yes, as far as we know, Johnny's recent film schedule has all been going according to plan so far.  Alice In Wonderland has now supposedly wrapped and is in post-production.  There is word from a reliable source or two that the animated film Rango is going on right now- it involves both voice work and some motion capture and was only planned to take about 4 weeks (for the actors, not the animation).  Quite a few cast members have been announced recently, though there is very little information yet about the actual story.  Since it's not coming out until 2011 (animated films take a lot of time!) I think they want to keep as much info as they can under wraps for now.  The Rum Diary is supposed to begin filming in Puerto Rico on March 29 or 30, and Amber Heard, the actress the above article is about, is the only other cast member besides Johnny who's been announced so far (though there are some rumors about Jack Nicholson).  I *think* there was an article that was estimating how long the filming would take, and it's not too long- 45 or 50 days, maybe?

I take all of the above as a great sign that nothing going on before DS is being delayed or extended, so I hope that the late summer DS start date will be firmed up and officially confirmed before we all go nuts with anticipation   [snow_blush]

Cathy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 07, 2009, 07:51:54 AM »
An article lamenting about all the casting rumors that seem to surface frequently on the Internet regarding Depp, which also happens to reference his casting in the DS film. Rumors regarding Depp have been commented on/lamented about more than once in this topic, so it's nice to see we're not the only ones.

Check out: Ugh, More Johnny Depp Casting Rumors

(I thought the Three Stooges rumor was way out there when I read about it earlier in the week. But who knows...)

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #775 on: February 07, 2009, 03:12:45 PM »
That was a cute blog, except for the fact that they seem to be blaming the fans ("goo-goo for Depp") when I think it's really In Touch and all the other gossip magazines and sites who are just trying to sell magazines and get hits to their sites.  But geez, give it a rest sometimes!   [snow_grin]

(I'm presuming for now the Three Stooges rumor is just wishful thinking on the Farrelly Brothers' part, though I actually think Johnny would probably have a ball doing those pratfalls [snow_laugh] )

Cathy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 07, 2009, 11:35:10 PM »
I had no idea that Depp had auditioned for Caleb (the part Adrian Pasdar ultimately played) in Near Dark. Who knew Depp might have played a vampire 22 years ago? (Well, except for maybe madscntst.  [snow_cheesy])

Check out: forces of geek: Saturday Triple Feature! Vampires, Monsters, Cyborgs! (for several bits of interesting trivia).

And this person has an interesting take on what Depp is striving to achieve with his career. Too bad the forum's censored word feature won't allow me to actually type it here.  [snow_laugh]

Check out: Johnny Depp Does the Doors
Maybe he'll achieve it after he plays Barnabas.  [snow_bigglass]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 08, 2009, 12:30:38 AM »
Too much show biz stuff. Just give me the facts.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 08, 2009, 01:22:35 AM »
How can anyone hate The Doors?  [scratch]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #779 on: February 08, 2009, 01:58:50 AM »
I had no idea that Depp had auditioned for Caleb (the part Adrian Pasdar ultimately played) in Near Dark. Who knew Depp might have played a vampire 22 years ago? (Well, except for maybe madscntst.  [snow_cheesy])

Actually, I've never heard this before!  Wow, and cool!  I only just rented this film recently, and enjoyed seeing Adrian Pasdar in something else besides Heroes.

As for the Doors thing, it was reported by entertainment blogger Nicki Finke a few days ago.  The film is done and has already shown at the Sundance Film Festival, with the director narrating, but word is that they're going to replace the narration with an improved one.  The director was to have announced Johnny's involvement at the Berlin Film Festival, which is going on now, but I haven't seen anything official yet.  Don't fret about this, as I think that all that'll be required for it is a day or two in a recording studio.  Shouldn't interfere with any actual movie filming.  (Johnny voiced a Spongebob Squarepants episode, too, and that'll be out on DVD next month  [snow_laugh]  )

I do agree that Barnabas will make him THE coolest!!