Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 446527 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #630 on: October 16, 2008, 10:39:14 PM »
Unfortunately websites like bloody-disgusting.com and comingsoon.net and who knows how many other sites have not updated its articles.

Yeah, well, there are still Web sites that refuse to drop the idea that Depp will be playing the Riddler in the next Batman movie despite the fact that seemingly everyone and his brother from Depp himself to WB execs to Christopher Nolan have denied it. That's one of the reasons why one really has to be careful of what Web sites to believe and which ones to dismiss...

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #631 on: October 17, 2008, 02:34:54 AM »
Just how many false rumors spring up about Depp every day and then spread like wildfire?!  ::))

MANY, believe me   [hall2_grin]   By the way, the Pirates 4 rumors have been debunked by Terry Rossio, one of the cowriters of the trilogy, and we don't necessarily always trust him at his word, either.  Let's just say, for instance, that I question whether Rossio has any business knowing anything one way or another about Johnny's salary agreements with Disney.  I'll leave it at that  [hall2_smiley] 

As for Tim, I don't know if he's being evasive as much as just conveying that there isn't much to tell specifically about Dark Shadows yet, as he's focusing on something else right now.  It's not an in-depth interview, and the subject was dropped quickly, because it wasn't the main focus of the interview.  I'm just glad it was mentioned!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #632 on: October 17, 2008, 03:03:50 AM »
Quote from: madscntst
As for Tim, I don't know if he's being evasive as much as just conveying that there isn't much to tell specifically about Dark Shadows yet, as he's focusing on something else right now.

I definitely picked up the same vibe as you.  I just think Depp Shadows is just in it's early early development and they are trying to stay mum on the subject even though they possibly have an outline for the story or a script?!.  Plus like he said his focus needs to be on 'Alice' and it's true that Burton doesn't small talk.  He is a quiet man!

I guess all we can do is stay vigilant and await the coming of the new Dark Shadows movie!   [candle_in_skull_2]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 17, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
I think some of these sites are taking way to many liberties with the DS movie project's unknown status. Here is one article where in its article's title states that DS movie is being delayed because of Pirates 4. now that is one big leap. Isn't the next Pirates movie something like 3-4 years away?
http://www.fearnet.com/news/b13405_johnny_depps_dark_shadows_on_hold.html

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 17, 2008, 09:55:27 PM »
Some Web sites simply draw their own conclusions based on little to no evidence. That's just what they do.  [hall_rolleyes]  (And let's not even get into the ones that make up stuff. [hall_angry]) Though so far as when the 4th Pirates movie is supposed to get made, I can't say I've noticed a timeframe being mentioned. But that might be because I haven't paid much attention (I'm probably one of the few people in the world who's never seen any of the Pirates movies and has little desire to - though I understand the first one is pretty good). Perhaps madscntst has a better idea...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #635 on: October 18, 2008, 01:03:56 AM »
The Pirates movies are my least favorite Johnny movies!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #636 on: October 18, 2008, 02:05:24 AM »
Disney did not give any kind of timeframe for Pirates 4, as far as we've been able to tell from official announcement.  When Terry Rossio (the cowriter for the Pirates trilogy) debunked the recent rumors about #4, I think he said there's no script and not even a storyline, and that there's pretty much nothing to say about it at this point.  In fact, he seemed annoyed that Disney even brought it up this soon.  Which makes me wonder, why does he assume that he's going to write it? ;)  (Though he probably will-- he and his partner Ted Elliot are writing (or have written) the script for The Lone Ranger, which is also in Johnny's pipeline.

At any rate, I'd assume that Pirates 4 is currently way behind DS in terms of development, though of course as we know, things don't always get done in the same order and in the same amount of time.  But I'm hoping Pirates 4 comes WAYYY after DS.  For what it's worth, I think Pirates 1 is a great film, and Johnny definitely deserved the Oscar nomination he got for it   [hall2_grin]   

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 18, 2008, 04:35:58 AM »
The writer of this piece questions how Depp and Burton can possibly fit the DS movie in their schedule and believes the project is a long way off. Of course should we get official news from the DS producers, that would prevent further speculation about the status of the project in the media.

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=14165

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 25, 2008, 10:40:38 PM »
Just how many false rumors spring up about Depp every day and then spread like wildfire?!  ::))

MANY, believe me

This one has to be the most outlandish one yet: Johnny Depp dead - HOAX

And yet several idiots spread the story as fact.  [hall2_rolleyes]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 26, 2008, 10:38:42 PM »
I attended the Chillertheatre convention in New Jersey today and met Barbara Steele, Julia and Natalie from the 91 series while obtaining her autograph. She is such a lovely and friendly person. I met her many years ago at a DS Festival. At her table I told her that I was a big DS fan and Ms. Steele  asked me if I heard about the new DS movie starring Johnny Depp. I told her I did and then asked her if she knew the status of the project.  Ms. Steele told me in front of the other fans that they were suppose to shoot the movie in the spring of 2009 but it got delayed until 2010 for a 2011 release. Those were her words. I thought it was inappropriate to ask for more specifics on its delay. She told me this in a matter of fact way. I of course don't know how accurate this information is and I am hoping that things do change in the movie industry day to day. I am only relaying what she told me. I did ask her if she was going to be in the new movie and she told me to "light a candle".  I also asked her if she would be attending a DS Fest in the future and she said that she did not think that the fans wanted anybody from the 1991 series and I of course told her that there are so many fans of the revival series who would love to see her. She said something like that was real good to hear and maybe.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #640 on: October 27, 2008, 12:46:36 AM »
Whoa, well, that is (tentatively) great news, that there is even a (tentative) plan in place.  I'll keep my fingers crossed! 

In other Depp news, Shantaram has just been taken off IMDb, other than a placeholder and a note that there is more information if you join IMDbPro (which has a subscription cost).  A fan who has IMDbPro says that the film is still there but is now in a state of "turnover".  I think I mentioned that Johnny was recently taken off as a cast member, as well.  I realize of course that IMDb is often inaccurate, but all this sudden shuffling seems like it might indicative of such "turnover", which may mean that Warner Bros. may sell the rights to the film to someone else.  We have been hearing that Warner Bros. (as well as many other studios) have cut back on the number of films they're greenlighting right now, because of the financial situation, and of all the films in Johnny's pipeline, this was the one we thought would take the longest and be the most expensive (an epic film with lots of location shots, and having to shoot around monsoon season in India). If Shantaram's future is truly in doubt (or gone altogether) it could free up his future time considerably.  We know that Johnny is doing Rango in January, but that is just his voice for an animated film, so it might be done very quickly.   There are rumblings that The Rum Diary might be next (and at this point we're not sure if Johnny is still going to act in it or just produce) but nothing is confirmed beyond Rango.  On Tim Burton's side, my understanding is that he's doing Frankenweenie after Alice In Wonderland, but since that will be animated, I wonder how much actual hands-on time he will need for it. He was able to do Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and Corpse Bride pretty much simultaneously. 

Anyway, I think a timeframe of DS shooting in 2010 to be released in 2011 is reasonable, and I will certainly be hoping for this!  What i hope for next is some word that a script has been completed, because I think that will be necessary before they can really solidify a timeframe.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 27, 2008, 01:22:05 AM »
Thanks for sharing the news on Shantaram. That is indeed one big relief. That would have been as you said one long shoot. It's funny how things go in life. When I went to today's convention I had no intention of asking Steele anything about the DS movie- it wasn't even a thought. I was actually taken back a bit when she brought up the movie and I could not resist asking her if she knew by any chance when the movie was going to be released. There was zero hesitation on her part and she spoke in an authoritative manner. It subsequently occurred to me that she may still have close ties to DCP as she was a co-producer on a number of Dan Curtis' projects. So she in fact may know the status of the movie as of today. I don't think she would have divulged more details as to its delay but when you only have a second to think, I did not think it was wise to attempt to pry more information from her although now I am second guessing myself. I am hoping that things change as they normally do in the movie business and/or that we get a confirmation on the movie's delay.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #642 on: October 27, 2008, 02:08:13 AM »
You met Barbara!  GOD that would make my life! LOL   I would love to see her in the new movie not as Julia of course but it would be a nice wink and nod to have her and some of the originals.  Also I wish THE FEST would realize that if they got Barbara Steele, I would go through hell and high water to get there.  I would love to see the cast from all three shows there.  I like variety though.   [skull_winks]

I am not shocked she knows the status.  I have a friend who met her in Dan's office about 8 years ago and she was working for him then.  She probably knows David Kennedy pretty well and has worked with him!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 27, 2008, 02:34:10 AM »
Hi Taeylor. Before I forget I want to wish you a very Happy Birthday!

I think she is great. I first met her at a DS Fest in 1992 I believe. I hope she is in the movie too. I don't think unfortunately that there is room for cameos or big parts for many of the past DS casts. But I am sure Depp will try to find some parts for the actors.  I guess if Barbara feels that she does not think us fans want actors from the 1991 series to come to the Fest, then probably the other 1991 actors may feel the same and that is unfortunate. Hopefully JP will invite some of the '91 actors to come to next year's Fest. I now believe that Barbara does know what is happening with the movie. I just wish they push up production of the movie.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #644 on: October 27, 2008, 04:41:00 AM »
Thanks for the Bday wish! Getting back on topic, I know it's not official but hearing this tibit of news made my bday all the more better!  And I am sure BS is in the know.  ;) [8_1_209]