Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449871 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #1065 on: September 03, 2009, 06:11:10 AM »
The whole process of how any film gets made is something either folks get or they do not.   Those who say Tim Burton really isn't interested in getting DS done are those who don't get how the process works. 

Nancy

Okay, I have tried many times to explain my understanding of Johnny's and Tim's current and upcoming commitments.  I hate to always play the role of defender, because I'm as anxious as anyone to see this film get made.  But I don't know how to answer when people say that Tim doesn't care, or that Tim won't pay any attention to DS.

Offline LOOKE300

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 04, 2009, 03:02:32 AM »
wake me up when this movie is in theaters. this has been 2 years and it will be at least 2 more years i can.t be interested in anything that takes that long. why must burton be the director there are many good directors out there depp has to have the same director on every film this whole thing has turn out to be a bore.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: September 04, 2009, 03:29:45 AM »
Many movies take more than a decade to be made. So, four years, if it takes that long, wouldn't be half as long.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 06, 2009, 05:33:03 PM »
You have to like Tim Burton's sense of humor quoted in todays NY Post. Burton is furiously working to finish the film, which stars Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter. “I’ve got a lot to do. It’s all I can think about,” he says. “It comes out in March. If you saw where it is, you’d think it was March of 2012.”......................... more at below

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/movies/burton_latest_nightmare_opens_autumn_qzf3qRF5vTtdxEPpxsgjNO

MirandaD

« Reply #1069 on: September 07, 2009, 10:06:05 AM »
Thanks for the link jimbo!  Have you seen this article and Tim Burton interview posted on September 2nd?

http://johnnydeppnews.com/

I don't think I was able to paste the link directly to it but if you scroll down about half-way, you will be rewarded with a short article and video discussing "Tim Burton's Dark Shadows Challenge".   Hopefully I'm not repeating a link already mentioned elsewhere on this board - I did do a search.  The best part of the interview to me was Burton's insistence that the "tone" of the original be preserved in the new movie.  Maybe this will be an overriding consideration to spend the extra money to film at Seaview.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: September 07, 2009, 02:08:37 PM »
The best part of the interview to me was Burton's insistence that the "tone" of the original be preserved in the new movie.
But what is the tone of the original?  Everybody sees something different in Dark Shadows.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: September 07, 2009, 06:06:56 PM »
Have you seen this article and Tim Burton interview posted on September 2nd?

Oh it's not easy scooping jimbo on the subject.  He posted a link to the clip on Sept. 2 by way of the MTV Movies Blog (reply #1056).

MirandaD

« Reply #1072 on: September 07, 2009, 06:41:30 PM »
Sorry for the repetition - and yes, it IS hard to outscoop Jimbo!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #1073 on: September 09, 2009, 08:07:34 PM »
The only thing I find upsetting about the movie, so far, is that John August is working on it and that it seems that if they really wanted to make it they wouldn't keep delaying it. I'm starting to wonder if it will ever be made.
May you die before you want too.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: September 10, 2009, 12:55:19 AM »
At his website today John mentioned that he just handed in a script. Obviously I don't know if it is the DS script but it could be.

http://johnaugust.com/

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1075 on: September 10, 2009, 03:35:00 AM »
Did John do Charlie's Angels because I thought those movies were really true to the show!??  Very nicely done!   
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: September 10, 2009, 03:46:34 AM »
TaeylorCollins according to this website John has screenwriter credits for a couple of the Charlie's Angels movies see below. It would be great if he has finally indeed finished the DS script. I would be interested in knowing out of curiosity how many drafts he previously written and submitted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_August

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: September 10, 2009, 04:47:59 AM »
The only thing I find upsetting about the movie, so far, is that John August is working on it

I initially shared that same concern. But once I realized that August had also been the writer/director of The Nines, a film I think was well done, and probably as different from some of his other work as it could possibly be, I felt more confident that he could handle DS. And the repeated reports that he's working really hard and consulting with Depp and Burton to be sure to get everything right have me even more confident that he can work out quite nicely. I'm definitely keeping a very open and hopeful mind.

and that it seems that if they really wanted to make it they wouldn't keep delaying it. I'm starting to wonder if it will ever be made.

Well, if the post-production process for Alice in Wonderland hadn't turned out to be so complicated, chances are that the Depp/DS film would be either in production or very close to production right now. That's what we were told back in June. But unforeseen things happen in the movie industry all the time, and films are often getting delayed for one reason or another, so it's not like the unforeseen and unexpected delays are something new. Irritating, yes!  [ghost_angry]  But new, no.  [ghost_sad]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: September 11, 2009, 04:14:02 AM »
According to the website below: "Robert Zemeckis and Tim Burton to Appear at the D23 Expo
The world-famous director will appear during the "Disney Movie Magic:
Inside the Disney Studios" presentation in the D23 Arena at 11 a.m. on
Friday, September 11."

I guess Tim is not too busy with Alice. jk He is obviously obligated to promote the Alice movie for Disney. I am sure TB will be asked about DS and he will provide the same non-informative responses.

http://johnnydeppreads.com/index.php?showtopic=8179&st=0

And thank you MirandaD for the link you provided earlier. You see we are all in this together.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: September 11, 2009, 06:04:05 AM »
Probably because TB doesn't know himself exactly when production will get underway.  There is no reason for him to withhold specific information if he knows any.

nancy

I guess Tim is not too busy with Alice. jk He is obviously obligated to promote the Alice movie for Disney. I am sure TB will be asked about DS and he will provide the same non-informative responses.