Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 446504 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #1710 on: January 22, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
And speaking of location scouting: Tim Burton pays Ilfracombe a visit in Harrods helicopter

If the accompanying photo is any indication, Ilfracombe looks like it could make for a great Collinsport.

(Thanks to collinwood.net for the heads up. [snow_smiley])

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: January 22, 2011, 08:43:22 PM »
Don't understand why MTV thinks the Oz movie situation may effect the DS movie.

This one speculates that if Disney really wants Depp for the OZ film, it would likely shoot after DS and Disney would push The Lone Ranger back. That makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1712 on: January 22, 2011, 11:33:22 PM »
As you say, never take a blog report too literally   [snow_wink]  This Oz rumor came out of the blue, and even though it originally came from the Hollywood Reporter, it was a blog there, and I'm not really convinced it's real (other than the part about Downey leaving the film).  I'm kind of hoping it's not true.  I think Johnny would make a great Oz, but on top of Willy Wonka and the Mad Hatter (not to mention Tonto) it is getting to be too many children's literature characters!  Either way, there is no way that Johnny would let it interfere with DS, especially since he's producing DS, after all!  With the location scouting and production design in place, all seems to be moving forward very well on DS-- I'm sure they're casting, too, only we just don't know about it yet   [snow_cheesy] 

One thing that is apparently true, though, is that Johnny is doing/did a cameo for an Adam Sandler film (of all things!) called Jack and Jill.  He was spotted on the set earlier this week, and Regis Philbin (who's in the film) apparently dropped Johnny's name during his TV show.  One rumor has it that the cameo is of Johnny and Al Pacino at an LA Lakers game.  We'll see.  Strange choice, though!

I love that photo of the possible DS location.  I was still hoping that at least some of the outdoor filming would take place in New England, but I guess we're not even sure if they are keeping the locale in New England.  There's so much more I want to know!!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: January 23, 2011, 01:00:22 AM »
I'm hesitant to post this because we don't even know if illfracombe will be "playing" Collinsport in the Depp/DS film - but after seeing the photos in the following gallery and falling in love with the loacation, I can't stop myself.  [snow_cheesy]

Check out: Ilfracombe Galleries
(Especially #4, #5, #6 and #8. The perfect "fishing village." And those cliffs!)

It's easy to see why it's under consideration...

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: January 23, 2011, 08:04:25 AM »
I was still hoping that at least some of the outdoor filming would take place in New England, but I guess we're not even sure if they are keeping the locale in New England.

I was hoping against hope that they would pick an American house.  But, as long as it looks American in the strange way that the Carey Mansion does, I can go with a British estate.  (On the border about the CGI stuff - would be okay if they reproduced the Carey Mansion, though.)  And I can go with them using a British fishing town as Collinsport.  But I cannot go for Collinsport and/or Collinwood's script location not being in the American state of Maine.

In regards to Ilfracombe, I can see it.  Edit out that theatre, and a few of the taller buildings, and we should be good.  Honestly, if it was less dense, it wouldn't need any computer work done to it.  And how about placing Collinwood atop the hill on the far right:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ilfracombe.jpg

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1715 on: January 23, 2011, 01:07:21 PM »
First of all the pictures are absolutely breathtaking! :)  WONDERFUL! I have fallen in love as well MB! However,I have changed my tune since visiting Seaview. I wish they would use it so that it would help bring more revenue into the house. Neverthless, I am still open to new and fresh ideas.  So I will be happy to see a new house as well. I understand that it isn't always best to visit the past, but when one goes to that magical place one really wants them to use it.  Again let me be clear though I am excited to see the a new COLLINWOOD in Johnny's picture.  I just have setimental feelings toward Seaview now! I guess this sounds like a total oxymoron but it's the way I feel.  It's kind of like being pulled in two directions! I think a new house espeically in England will capture what we need for the film.  The Collins family apparently came from England if the story goes somewhat like the Revival scenario!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: January 23, 2011, 04:58:33 PM »
Thanks for the photos MB. I think even TB was impressed. I do wish for outdoor and in house shooting along with the onstage shooting and hoping that they don't use just the exteriors of the new Collinwood in the movie.. Are there any gothic looking mansions in ilfracombe? I like how they shot some scenes at Greystone in the 1991 series. I wish that they filmed interior shots at Seaview in the o/s. The Seaview estate would be a great choice for the movie but it seems TB and company want to put their own stamp on their version of how Collinwood should look like. I thank our friends on the other side for the update and hope they continue providing same.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: January 23, 2011, 05:30:42 PM »
It's been known since December '08 that the Depp/DS film will shoot in England. And even before it was officially mentioned, many fans strongly suspected as much because that's been Burton's MO for well over a decade. The big unknown that still remains is will the exterior of Collinwood be CGI or a real house. And we can't even judge that by the hiring of Rick Heinrichs as the Production Designer because even though he used a real house for exteriors in The Wolfman, a CGI house was used for his Oscar winning design for Sleepy Hollow. I suppose a lot of it will come down to what the backstory of Collinwood is in the film as well as whether or not they can find a real house that represents what Heinrichs, Burton, et al. are picturing as Collinwood, or if they have to create it digitally. One good thing - there are certainly many perfectly appropriate Tudor style mansions in England if they want to go with a look/backstory similar to the '91 Series - or even Gothic style mansions if they want to go with a look similar to hoDS. Or they might even have a totally different style mansion in mind. Only time will tell.

If they go with a real English mansion, I'd prefer Tudor. But so long as it's huge enough to give the impression that much of it is closed off and hasn't been in use for years and years, I can accept almost any sort of style that would be architecturally appropriate for whatever backstory they come up with...

And speaking of mansions in England, the photo of Antony that's linked to in the IlfracombePeople piece makes it look like it could easily "play" the Old House. I'm only judging by that photo, but Antony looks very much like the type of mansion that could have been built in New England between 1700 and 1780.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: January 23, 2011, 06:40:09 PM »
The Antony 18th century mansion could easily play the Old House in the movie. I think too much CGI takes away from a movie or tv show like it did imo in the 2004 DS pilot re: the Old House.

I think this video taken at Ilfracombe reminds me of an old tv show. jk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySMiqvjsAyk&NR=1

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: January 25, 2011, 12:06:40 AM »
Wow, looks like test footage for the opening credits! Cue Danny Elfman's update on Bob Cobert's DS theme...   [snow_clown]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: January 25, 2011, 02:08:33 AM »
Definitely, KMR. And I can already picture Collinwood sitting perfectly atop the cliff in photo #8. Now all we need is for Burton et al. to actually pick Ilfracombe.  [wink2]

Speaking of which, I was looking through some of the links on the Ilfracombe Galleries Web site and came across another Web site that has links to the Web sites for the various mansions located in the Devon/Cornwall area. Who knows if Burton et al. are even thinking of looking for a suitable Collinwood there so as to possibly be close to Ilfracombe (if indeed they do decide to shoot there), but the pickings are slim. Not that there aren't some great houses there, there are. But there's really only one that could be suitable for Collinwood because it's a Tudor. The others, like Antony, are either Georgian, or a style (like Victorian) that's much too late for Collinwood - well, too late for the backstories that have been used for the house previously. One of the Georgian mansions is HUGE, but Georgians are more suited to the era of the Old House - and if the Old House was as huge as that mansion is, there would have been no reason to ever build Collinwood.  [wink2]  Plus I somehow doubt the Collins would build Collinwood in a Georgian style (which derives its name from England's Kings George I through George IV) when the colonies had so recently fought a war against England.  [b003]

But anyway, this is about the only mansion in the area (so far as the Web site links listed) that could serve as Collinwood:

National Trust | Cotehele
Cotehele House
Cotehele (Be sure to click on the two photos to see much larger versions.)

Though because it's a Mediaeval Tudor, the Depp/DS film would most probably need to go with a similar backstory as the '91 Series, that Collinwood had originally been built in England and then disassembled and moved to Collinsport.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1721 on: January 25, 2011, 04:31:52 AM »
Speaking of Bob Cobert.  I cannot reveal the name (I know that sounds like I am making this up) but I have a friend in fandom who had worked with Bob Cobert. Bob took him under his wing and even wrote him some music for one of his college exams.  Anyhow...he told me a couple of months ago that Depp/Burton have been in talks with Bob for months.  I wish they would get Bob to collaborate but I don't know if they will or not. 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: January 25, 2011, 10:34:55 PM »
Just saw where Colleen Atwood won a Critics Choice Award tonight for Best Costumes for Alice in Wonderland. She seems to have racked up quite a few nominations/awards for her designs

And I see that she's secured yet another Oscar nomination...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: January 25, 2011, 11:58:04 PM »
Fascinating.  I have actually been to Cotehele... wonderful memories.

G.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: January 26, 2011, 07:48:42 AM »
Speaking of Bob Cobert.  I cannot reveal the name (I know that sounds like I am making this up) but I have a friend in fandom who had worked with Bob Cobert. Bob took him under his wing and even wrote him some music for one of his college exams.  Anyhow...he told me a couple of months ago that Depp/Burton have been in talks with Bob for months.  I wish they would get Bob to collaborate but I don't know if they will or not. 

IT would be awesome if Cobert would score, but didn't MB say something about Cobert not having direct involvement?  I think I recall this back when it was confirmed the theme would be used.  Maybe that will change.  I'd love to hear Cobert's music brought into the 21st century by the same mind that made all of our favorites in the last!