Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 452116 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm guessing that plot points and character profiles are being filled in by journalists from websites, and that the actual screenplay will offer something different.

I pretty much think that's exactly what's happening. The Web sites are simply taking what's come before and presenting it as the way it's going to with the Depp/DS film. (Not that any of them have ever jumped to conclusions. No. Never. ... Yeah, right!  [snow_rolleyes]) But I believe they actually know as little about the script as we do, which is basically nothing. So I take the plot points the Web sites are bandying about with a mountain of salt, not simply a grain. They may be guessing some plot points correctly, but I also suspect the actual script will offer something different - particularly if Bella Heathcote's character is indeed a waitress as Variety has stated three times now - and especially if it turns out that the film's plot will in some way be a reworking of the Maggie kidnapping/brainwashing storyline.

Perhaps this "waitress"will be named Vicki Evans... or Maggie Winters?  *wink*

You never know.  [snow_cheesy]

Ah, now for the announcement of the hoDS/NoDS DVD release date...

If only. But I was talking with Darren about that very thing last week, and as of then he had yet to even hear from Warner Bros. about when he could begin work on the project, much less when a release date might be.  [snow_sad]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Yes, as long as Barnabas is rather recognizable, I think EVERYONE should be happy.  Depp has to differentiate himself from Frid, but as long as the character is in the same vein, I think everyone should be pleased.

As for this recent news...  I somehow wasn't surpised about Dr. Hoffman.  It was definitely an "out of the blue" choice (I had never even heard her name mentioned) for Liz, but I think she'll do great!  I think it's funny that that one article states Elizabeth has been locked up in Collinwood for a DECADE since the disappearance of her husband.  It really makes one question if this is a plot-point in the script, as the information is just not accurate if its referring back to the original...

Who else do we need in the cast?  Roger, Carolyn, and David, probably a love-interest for Carolyn, and we need to find out what the name of that waitress is. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
after seeing The King's Speech and rewatching Sweeney Todd recently, I can definitely see her as Julia.

I really do need to watch Sweeney Todd sooner rather than later...

As for Depp's remarks about staying close to Frid, maybe it's just me but I wasn't taking that to be 100% literal- more that he wants to achieve the same sort of tone with the character than doing an outright impersonation or anything.  I know (and fear!) that DS diehards will be dissecting his performance

It's not just you because that's exactly how I interpreted Depp's remarks. And I would hazard a guess that it's probably how most of fandom interpreted them. Though chances are pretty good that the contingent of Frid's fans that I was referring to probably won't make that distinction.

Actually, it would be disappointing if Depp actually did an outright impersonation of Frid instead of adding some of his own touches to Barnabas.

I only hope that he does justice to the character, and I am feeling pretty good about that!!

Hearing just the few remarks that Depp makes in the MTV video has made me more confident than ever.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I think it's funny that that one article states Elizabeth has been locked up in Collinwood for a DECADE since the disappearance of her husband.  It really makes one question if this is a plot-point in the script, as the information is just not accurate if its referring back to the original...

That may very well be a plot point from the script as the bit that Liz "has not left the mansion since the disappearance  of her husband a decade earlier" originated with the Hollywood Reporter's article about Michelle Pfeiffer. And I wasn't referring to what's being reported in trade papers like Variety and the Hollywood Reporter when I said I take what's said with a mountain of salt - I was referring to a good portion of the other Web sites that love to add their own embellishments to not only the trade papers' reports but to each other's reports.  [snow_rolleyes]

With the Hollywood Reporters' description of Liz, I can't help but wonder if the script is not just possibly adapting the Maggie kidnapping/brainwashing storyline, but also balancing it with some form of the Liz blackmail storyline. Like others have said, having both would certainly seem to be more story than could be adequately dealt with in one movie. But we'd be basing that belief on how things play out on the original series, and who knows how the script may rework/streamline it. For instance, if there's no Jason in the script, that would streamline it immensely. But, of course, only time will tell...

Who else do we need in the cast?  Roger, Carolyn, and David, probably a love-interest for Carolyn

All in good time.  [snow_smiley]

and we need to find out what the name of that waitress is.

I continue to be fascinated that Variety has yet to refer to Heathcote's character by a character name. It's almost as if, like the second Mrs DeWinter, who had no identity in Rebecca apart from being Maxim DeWinter's wife, Heathcote's character has no identity apart from being a waitress who resembles Barn's long-lost love.  [snow_cheesy]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I'd love to see some of the blackmailing Liz story included in the movie.  There was a point in the series in which it looked as though Jason might start investigating Barnabas, and I wish that had been developed - one villain sniffing out another.  If only Dennis Patrick had wanted to stay on the show longer!

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Helena being cast as Julia was so expected & yet repeatedly denied, I didn't really believe it was going to happen. Hope it the rumors are true.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I would never have thought of Michelle as ELIZABETH. I have to say it's one of the most exciting cast choices in my opinion. I have always loved her and I think she is still goregous, classy and doesn't look like she has had her face blown up with fillers, botox etc.  I think she is beautiful!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Sorry for the double. I just wanted to say that even if one isn't necessarily behind the movie or excited about it.  Here's the wonderful thing.  When I type in DS on Google about 2000 articles come up about the new movie.  Who knows what great things  this could lead to.  A new home for the original show to air on daily, new books, the original stars doing new interviews ,HODS AND NODS on DVD and DS simply getting the blood transfusion it currently needs.  A 45 year old show that is beloved making headlines again isn't a in any way a bad thing. In EVERY interview I have read the old show is ALWAYS mentioned.  Any publicity is good publicity, in my humble opinion! I have always felt this fandom had the potential that Star Trek reached. Just sayin'!  [snow_wink]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Posts that are more than 15 hours apart could never be considered double posting.  [snow_wink]

Entertainment Weekly's Web site is reporting that Michelle Pfeiffer is expected to sign a deal shortly. However, they're also reporting that the film will begin shooting in May.  [snow_huh]

Chech out: Michelle Pfeiffer in talks to star opposite Johnny Depp in Tim Burton's 'Dark Shadows'

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
If it is pushed back to May that won't be too bad. I personally hope she inks the deal. I am a huge Michelle fan.  Would I have ever thought about her as ECS? NO!  However, the more I think about it the more I can see her regally walking down the great hall.  Bring it on...

ClaudeNorth

I agree, Taeylor.  I never would have thought of her for the role of Elizabeth -- probably because I still think of her as being in her 30s.  But she is one of the few actresses in Hollywood who can convey an old Hollywood elegance, so I'm excited about the choice.  I hope that the role is developed enough to warrant having an actress of her caliber play it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
If it is pushed back to May that won't be too bad.

No. And after Gore Verbinski's remark the other day that the Depp/DS film is going to take a tremendous amount of prep, it wouldn't be surprising if the start has been pushed back to accommodate all that prep. But at the same time, EW's Web site's writers (who aren't the same as its magazine writers) don't always get everything right. More than once I've seen them get something wrong, so I don't know if the bit about how the film will begin shooting in May is them getting something wrong once again, or if they're actually on top of something that wasn't known a few days ago when the Hollywood Reporter and Variety were both still saying the film will begin shooting in April.

I suppose, like all things with the film, only time will tell...

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Some slight photoshopping:

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Hubba hubba! But would Elizabeth Collins Stoddard, the Mistress of Collinwood, wear a gown with that kind of décolletage?

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
On atleast the very first episode, yep: