Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 446512 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I guess we can make an argument that the NY Times had it wrong too. jk That was a good call MB with Michelle playing Liz. I am glad she is in the movie but I think the Julia role would be more interesting to her. Haley does look a bit younger with the apparent wig. As far as HBC is concerned I rather Julia went to a different actress IMO.

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
The man really doesn't look half bad with hair, but still, the age issue bugs me.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Though without knowing anything about the script, we shouldn't assume that any of the characters will be the same as they were in the original DS - especially as we've been warned by the producers that they felt that changes were necessary to update the story...

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #1863 on: February 15, 2011, 07:58:05 PM »
MB, the irony of those Frid fans who believe no one but Frid can play Barnabas is that Frid himself is very open to what other actors bring to the vacillating vampire.  Fans (even the media) wanted Frid to have a big problem with Ben Cross' portrayal of the iconic character but Frid was intrigued - not upset or threatened.   He can't wait to see what Johnny Depp does with the role.  It's a little amusing that the actor who created Barnabas has less hang-ups about others tackling the role than his fans.

It's no secret that Barnabas is my favorite DS character but I too welcome other interpretations of Barnabas.  It seems obvious (to me, anyway) that every actor is an individual and can't help but introduce little nuances to the role no matter how committed he might be to keeping true to the original. 

Personally, I say "go for it."  I'm eager to see what Depp and Burton bring to the franchise.  If I don't like it I don't ever have to watch the film again.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: February 15, 2011, 08:22:06 PM »
MB, the irony of those Frid fans who believe no one but Frid can play Barnabas is that Frid himself is very open to what other actors bring to the vacillating vampire.

I'm sure he is. Frid is a talented and very learned actor. He understands that with acting it's all about expressing the truth of the character. It's only natural that different actors may have different ways of depicting that truth - but it doesn't necessarily make their choices right or wrong. If at their core those choices express the essence of the character, then they're all perfectly valid.

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Pfeiffer's a nice surprise! They aren't playing around with this cast.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Also, for those who were surprised by Jackie Earle Haley's lack of hair in the pictures they've seen of him, here's a capture from last week's season finale (possibly even series finale) ep of Human Target

I can totally see this guy playing a sleazeball like Willie Loomis.  The age question is total non-issue.  I don't see Willie's age as having anything to do with his character's part of the DS story.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: February 15, 2011, 08:34:03 PM »
I'm sure he is. Frid is a talented and very learned actor. He understands that with acting it's all about expressing the truth of the character. It's only natural that different actors may have different ways of depicting that truth - but it doesn't necessarily make their choices right or wrong. If at their core those choices express the essence of the character, then they're all perfectly valid.

MB, you took the words right out of my mouth. Frid has always come across as a total professional who uses his craft to express the work, instead of considering the work to be an expression of himself.

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
we shouldn't assume that any of the characters will be the same as they were in the original DS - especially as we've been warned by the producers that they felt that changes were necessary to update the story...

Yep, & that's just what worries me.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Variety is still reporting that Bella is playing a waitress.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118032290

Offline VictoriaWintersCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Still hoping for Juliet Landau to play Dr. Hoffman, but HBC will probably get that role.
My name is Victoria Winters, my journey is just beginning.

A journey that I hope will open the doors of life to me and link my  past with my future.  A journey that will bring me to a strange and dark place.  To the edge of the sea, high atop Widow's Hill, to a place called Collingwood.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
What a shock. I was hoping for a different actress to play Julia. At least she is a capable actress. Here is the news of HBC joining the cast! 

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/02/15/dark-shadows-helena-bonham-carter-michelle-pfeiffer/
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
I was SO thrilled to hear earlier today about Michelle's (and Helena's) possible casting.  I hadn't heard Michelle's name mentioned at all previously, but as soon as I heard the name today, I thought it was a perfect choice.  A lot of the names that have been bandied about by fans have been awesome, highly respected actresses who I definitely could've really seen playing Liz... 15 or 20 years ago.  That is to say, many of fan's choices have frankly been too old.  I think that Michelle is just the right age, and she is very beautiful and has a strong presence.  And I love that she's worked with Burton before and thus is part of his "family", so to speak.  

As for Helena, I'm not surprised, LOL.  Perhaps she was just not confirming it until the time was right, but I dunno, it seems possible that it just hadn't been decided for sure.  She DOES get other acting jobs besides in Burton's movies  [snow_cheesy]  At any rate, after seeing The King's Speech and rewatching Sweeney Todd recently, I can definitely see her as Julia.

As for Depp's remarks about staying close to Frid, maybe it's just me but I wasn't taking that to be 100% literal- more that he wants to achieve the same sort of tone with the character than doing an outright impersonation or anything.  I know (and fear!) that DS diehards will be dissecting his performance and I only hope that he does justice to the character, and I am feeling pretty good about that!!

And yeah, they can easily stick a wig on Jackie or otherwise tweak his look for the film.  I can't quite remember but I'm pretty sure he had hair for Watchmen (when he wasn't wearing a mask) and Shutter Island, too.  BTW I loved him in Human Target and watched the show mainly for him (okay, a little also for Chi McBride, who I loved from Pushing Daisies), but I confess that I stopped watching this year when they changed the format of the show so much.  

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
You know, this one is starting to sound an awful lot like a retread of 1967/hoDS/the first few episodes of the 1991 series.  Which means this will be, what, the FOURTH time this story has been filmed.

I'm guessing that plot points and character profiles are being filled in by journalists from websites, and that the actual screenplay will offer something different.

Perhaps this "waitress"will be named Vicki Evans... or Maggie Winters?  *wink*

Ah, now for the announcement of the hoDS/NoDS DVD release date...

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I am excited by it all.  Hods and Nods too.  Helena has big shoes to fill with Grayson and Barabara. 

Maggie Winters. LOL
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/