Author Topic: "Potential new DS movie"  (Read 8801 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: "Potential new DS movie"
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2005, 10:51:59 PM »
Just to give another perspective--and this is certainly not directed against the many fans who love the idea of Tim Burton and Johnny Depp doing Dark Shadows--in my opinion, neither the director nor the star would be right for a new incarnation of the series.

I have no idea who to suggest.  It would be great to bring in some fresh faces from the NYC theatre world as was done the first time around.

When I think of a new version of DS I would actually enjoy watching (and believe me, it's quite a stretch to think of it at all for me since I do NOT like remakes), I think more along the lines of Gosford Park than the Burton/Depp Sleepy Hollow.

I think any re-imagination of a new DS project needs to be controlled by someone who understands the essence of what makes DS Dark Shadows. It seems for example, that it has been reported that Hogan did not have a good handle on DS when he filmed the WB pilot. I think a director like Tarantino would film a great DS movie. I think Depp would do a great job as well but you are also right in that there are many fresh actors out there who could also play the Barnabas character and the other ones as well. The problem is that studios want big time actors for their movies for good or bad. Depp certainly has the acting ability and is a highly marketable actor to any studio wanting to do a new DS movie We can only wish.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2005, 04:26:10 AM »
I think more along the lines of Gosford Park than the Burton/Depp Sleepy Hollow.G

Dear Goddess, no.  Gosford Park?  Not unless they use Luciaphil's technique of turning off the sound and using the Closed Captioning option.  It's the only way to understand a word of dialogue in that film.

And for the record, I think Depp would be perfect for the role of Barnabas.  Forget his performance in "Sleepy Hollow".....see him in "From Hell"  THAT'S a tortured soul.

Not that ANY of this is EVER going to actually HAPPEN...... ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2005, 04:41:21 AM »
And for the record, I think Depp would be perfect for the role of Barnabas.  Forget his performance in "Sleepy Hollow".....see him in "From Hell"  THAT'S a tortured soul.

I bought that DVD almost a year ago and haven't watched it yet. But now you've gotten me really intrigued so I'll definitely have to make the time to watch it.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2005, 05:14:34 AM »
He is great in that film.    ;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2005, 05:34:24 AM »
 Gothick, I see what you are saying.  I think casting New York theatre actors (preferably, classically trained actors) would be great too, if they are directed by someone who understands the nature of DS.  At the same time, I see Burton (and Depp) as two people who are into the subject matter (spooky gothic romantic stuff) and into the original series as well.  I do think Burton can go the silly/campy route sometimes and I definitely wouldn't want that in a new DS.  I assume, if he ever made a DS movie, he'd know better than to go that route with it.  I can't think of another director either.  I know Tarantino likes DS, but his movies are generally too drenched in pop-culture.  Don't get me wrong, I like his movies, but I just can't see him doing a DS film.     

I think Johnny Depp would make a great, hot and wicked Quentin actually.  For Barnabas, maybe Johnny Depp or Alan Rickman (when he played Snape in 'Harry Potter', I thought he had a Barnabas-esque look to him, plus he's a great actor).  As I said in another thread, I think Cate Blachett would make a great Angelique.  Ah, I guess there's no point in this.  It'll never happen.  Then again, one never knows...     
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2005, 08:21:12 AM »
I would be really excited to see a Quentin Tarantino -- Johnny Depp DS simply because we know they are big fans of the original show so it would be interesting to see what cool ideas they would have for it.  If it was a little too wild, we could simply consider it a story from Parallel Time -- LOL!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2005, 01:09:09 PM »
Cool. The people have decided that Tarantino will direct the new DS movie and Depp will play Barnabas. Not to shabby. lol

I guess I started this topic to get an understanding as to why the Fest would go on the record to report that there is this new potential movie in the works when it all may be just a big tease and/or an attempt to draw more fans to the upcoming Fest (if this was not true). Other than that, I can't see a reason as to why the Fest would report this alleged ongoing developmental project if it was not actually happening (besides Connie's interesting theory lol). Obviously, we are all grateful to the Festival and its importance to the continuation of the DS franchise and for all the hard work its people do year after year. I just think we deserve better and Mulder would like to know the answer too as he trusts no one and knows that the truth is out there. lol

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2005, 10:16:54 PM »
All that statement means is that DC is open to reviving DS in some form, at some point, if the right vehicle comes along.

Gothele, I like your suggestion of a Gosford Park-esque remake of DS.  It certainly would be interesting to see what Robert Altman would do with DS.

Don't like the idea of a Tarantino-directed remake, though.  I can't imagine a DS filled with movie in-jokes and pop culture references.  ;)  I do think that Tim Burton would be an interesting choice because his films feel as if they take place in their own private universes.  IMHO, DS needs to take place in a world unto itself, far away from the "real world."

As for casting, I'd love to see Faye Dunaway as Elizabeth.  I think she'd do a great job capturing the elegance, imperiousness, and strength of the character.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2005, 11:43:40 PM »
All that statement means is that DC is open to reviving DS in some form, at some point, if the right vehicle comes along.

I respectfully disagree with your position on this matter. Nothing personal obviously.

It is simply not what was stated to all DS fans receiving the mailings. The DS Festival clearly stated that there was a potential new DS movie being planned. This statement is alluding to something much more than that DC is open to another new DS project. To me it implies that there is a script for a new DS movie that is being actively shopped to various studios and/or there are ongoing discussions with various studios on a potential new DS movie. The latter is not the same as the word "planned".By definition a plan can be a project or a script-something in the works. We have all been told that DC is open to reviving DS in the future. That is a given. If nothing was happening at the moment on a new DS movie project, that is fine with me and the Fest should not state otherwise. If there are ongoing discussions between DC and the studios, I do not obviously expect the powers that be to inform us fans of same. In my opinion the Fest is manipulating unsuspecting DS fans to believe that there is a new movie being planned. I do not believe that I am splitting hairs here. To me there is a difference here. I do hope that the right vehicle comes along for a new DS project.

On a happier note, I hope all the mothers here are having a great day!!!

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2005, 02:16:46 AM »
"a potential new DS movie and other projects are being planned..."

Has so much ever been read into so little?

po·ten·tial (p-tnshl)
adj.
Capable of being but not yet in existence; latent: a potential problem.
Having possibility, capability, or power.

n.
The inherent ability or capacity for growth, development, or coming into being.
Something possessing the capacity for growth or development.

Applying that logic, has there ever been a time when there hasn't been potential for a new DS movie?  Sorry guys, but Dan Curtis sitting in his office saying "I'd like to make a DS movie" doesn't really cut much ice.  If wellmeaning intentions were all it took to get a film project bankrolled, we'd all be in showbusiness.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2005, 04:18:30 AM »

I bought that DVD almost a year ago and haven't watched it yet. But now you've gotten me really intrigued so I'll definitely have to make the time to watch it.

I watched the DVD today and I was just blown away on so many levels.

I know people have been saying Depp could be an interesting Barnabas, but I never really saw it. However, now, after watching his performance in From Hell, I think I'd be thrilled if the unlikely event was ever to happen and he was cast in the role. You weren't exaggerating in the slightest, Rainey, when you said "THAT'S a tortured soul."

And then there's the movie itself. Forget Tarantino and Burton - if there ever would be a new DS theatrical film, someone sign the Hugheses to direct, Peter Deming to be the director of photography, and Martin Childs as the production designer. In particular the look of From Hell is just incredible, especially the use of light and shadow. Any potential DS film would be lucky to look half as good. Their combined efforts make for what I only hope another DS film could be.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2005, 04:24:08 AM »
Geez, Pepe.....don't be shy or anything.  Tell us what you REALLY think of "From Hell"..... [lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2005, 07:16:31 AM »
why the Fest would go on the record to report that there is this new potential movie in the works when it all may be just a big tease and/or an attempt to draw more fans to the upcoming Fest

Yes, they're probably just trying to draw people to the Fest and also keep up the interest in DS.  Sigh.  It would be cool. though, if it was also an attempt to pressure DC into actually coming up with a new DS project!  Woohoo!  Hee hee!

Mulder would like to know the answer too as he trusts no one and knows that the truth is out there. lol

LOL!  [thumb]

OK, so far we've had ''Gosford Park," "Sleepy Hollow," and "From Hell" -- here's what I'd really like to see in a new DS movie:  "House of Wax"/"Dawn of the Dead"(04)/"American Werewolf in London"/"Dracula Has Risen From the Grave"!  Yeah, baby, yeah!  (LOL!)

Hey, we all have our own opinions!  ;) LOL!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2005, 10:21:11 PM »
"a potential new DS movie and other projects are being planned..."

Has so much ever been read into so little? 

Applying that logic, has there ever been a time when there hasn't been potential for a new DS movie?  Sorry guys, but Dan Curtis sitting in his office saying "I'd like to make a DS movie" doesn't really cut much ice.  If wellmeaning intentions were all it took to get a film project bankrolled, we'd all be in showbusiness.

Is see you went to the dictionary too Stuart. lol I had to use my high school thesaurus. lol
Seriously, you are right in saying (at least what I think you are saying) that the Fest's representation, that there is a potential new DS movie being planned, should not have been made based on a history of DC making similar comments coupled with the fact that there may not be anything actually happening. I remember several years or more ago, in a magazine article (Fangoria?), DC boasted something like ' I have decided it is time to make a new DS movie'. That was said when there apparently was no new script and no studio backing. Well the movie never happened. Perhaps Mary is right when she posted that perhaps this statement was made to draw more people to the Fest. I just don't think it is ethically sound.

The end. lol

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2005, 10:44:46 PM »
Perhaps Mary is right when she posted that perhaps this statement was made to draw more people to the Fest. I just don't think it is ethically sound.

Eh!  I don't believe the statement was made as a Fest draw.  I'm not inclined to suspect under-handed motives on the part of organizers (or actually, DS people in general).

I'm still partial to the 3-martini scenario.   ;D

[nut]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>