Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449511 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm not paying attention to most of the crew's names as you're posting them, MB, but I appreciate you posting the info anyway, because as you say, it's just cool in general to see the project shaping up and various different positions getting filled!

Well, believe me, when it starts getting to the point where they announce who the grips, best boys, etc. are, I probably won't be posting those names. Granted, they're pretty essential positions on any film - but they're the unsung heroes of film making because not many people care all that much about, say, who mounted the camera. But when it comes to things like sets and costumes (and potentially a few other creative elements), those are things that many DS fans will care about with the film. I know I will.  :)

The one creative position that I'm really curious to hear about is who will be the cinematographer because that's someone who can have a huge impact on the look of the film...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
If the report is true (and sadly there are so many reports about Depp on the Internet that aren't true), who knows what types of locations they're scouting, but there are some great mansions in Scotland. If I can find the site again for one Gothic mansion that particularly impressed me when I happened upon it several years ago, I'll post it...

Of course, even if they are scouting Scotland, that doesn't discount the use of Ilfracombe because it would seem that Ilfracombe is being considered for Collinsport. But from what the article seems to indicate, Scottish locations could be being considered for the woods and surroundings of Collinwood (even though Burton often builds such wooded locations as a set).

Thanks for the link, jimbo.  [snow_smiley]

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Gotta point out the article describes Depp as married.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
They've been married for years haven't they?  The wife and kids live in France...

G.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
When it starts in April, it will be around the 44th Anniversary of JF start.  I can't remember if I have said this before. 
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Well, believe me, when it starts getting to the point where they announce who the grips, best boys, etc. are, I probably won't be posting those names. Granted, they're pretty essential positions on any film - but they're the unsung heroes of film making because not many people care all that much about, say, who mounted the camera. But when it comes to things like sets and costumes (and potentially a few other creative elements), those are things that many DS fans will care about with the film. I know I will.  :)

The one creative position that I'm really curious to hear about is who will be the cinematographer because that's someone who can have a huge impact on the look of the film...

I am enjoying your posts because as you said a lot of the people you are posting are going to impact the finished project. I will be curious to see who is the cinematographer as well.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Cool to hear more location scouting news/rumors!  It'll be so interesting to see the "look" of the film.  I actually was hoping that they would do some exterior shots in Maine or at least New England, but I think that as long as the look and tone of the film are great, that's all that matters.

Gotta point out the article describes Depp as married.

They've been married for years haven't they?  The wife and kids live in France...

Johnny and Vanessa Paradis have been together since 1998 but are not legally married.  They have often said that they consider themselves married but that they don't really need the piece of paper.  They don't rule out doing it someday, and so every few years, a new rumor pops up and ya never know, but honestly, they seem to be very happy just the way they are.   Johnny was briefly married at age 20 and maybe has the idea that the piece of paper doesn't mean it's gonna work out!

BTW it's probably TMI but they have homes in both LA and France (and probably other places, plus an island in the Caribbean), and the kids attend school in LA.

Cathy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I see where the new issue of Entertainment Weekly is saying that Colleen Atwood has to be the leading contender to win this year's Oscar for Best Costumes for Alice in Wonderland. It's also nice to see them describe her as "one of the biggest names in the field" of costume design.

I also noticed that an associate producer has been added to the list on IMDb. Between producers, co-producers and associate producers, that now brings the list up to 7 individuals. If they continue to add more people, the producers of the film might actually outnumber the on screen talent.  [wink2]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
I am probably a broken record about this by now, but IMHO Colleen Atwood is a goddess!!  I can't wait to see how her costumes will compare to those that were supplied by Ohrbach's   [snow_cheesy]

By the way, just a little heads-up-- the press junkets have now started for Johnny's film Rango, which is coming out in 3 weeks.  We've heard that some occurred today and will also be going on during the weekend.  I haven't started seeing any actual interviews yet, but I imagine they'll start to appear imminently.  Just a guess, but I am expecting/hoping for Johnny to speak more about DS now than he did while promoting The Tourist, just because the start of filming is getting closer now.  Hope we'll get to hear some good tidbits from him!!

Cathy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I am probably a broken record about this by now, but IMHO Colleen Atwood is a goddess!!

When someone is truly talented, it can never be said too often.  [snow_wink]

I can't wait to see how her costumes will compare to those that were supplied by Ohrbach's   [snow_cheesy]

For their day the Ohrbach's stuff was very much in style. But somehow I suspect anything that Atwood designs will have us wondering what anyone ever saw in Ohrbach's clothes!  [snow_laugh]  Though because the film also has a costume buyer, it would seem that they'll also be using some store bought clothing. So, it'll be interesting to see which characters get Atwood's designs and which get the store bought. It'll also be interesting to see why they'll choose the clothes that they do because what's often not taken into account is that the style of clothing and the colors a character wears is an intricate part of their character makeup. It's not just because the clothing might look good on the actors portraying the characters or because the actors themselves might like the clothing. (For example, there's a whole section in the concordance for the '91 Series that goes into details of how/why certain characters wore specific colors and styles.)

Just a guess, but I am expecting/hoping for Johnny to speak more about DS now than he did while promoting The Tourist, just because the start of filming is getting closer now.  Hope we'll get to hear some good tidbits from him!!

Considering how starved we are for any sort of tidbits, almost anything he might say will be welcome.  [snow_wink]

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
I wonder if an early 60's time frame is doable for the timeframe of the movie.  The clothes are just wonderful (ala Mad Men) from that era.  Afterall,  it was the beginning of the sexual revolution and such.  People did have TV's back them and the real world out there could be shocking for a quiet, reclusive town like Collinsport.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks to collinwood.net Bruno Delbonnel is the cinematographer for the DS movie

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0216632/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Apparently one has to really keep an eye on IMDb because I checked there only a few hours ago and Delbonnel wasn't listed yet.  [snow_smiley]

But this is great news. I loved his work on Across The Universe (and I just watched that film again on DVD about a month ago)  as well as his Oscar nominated work on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Though I suspect HPatHBP will be much closer to what DS may look like than ATU ever would be.  [snow_wink]

And now pretty much every behind the scenes position that I've wondered about has been filled. Hopefully now we'll be getting some more casting news...

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
And by casting news, MB means finding out who the heck this Heathcote girl is playing!