Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 450911 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #540 on: September 09, 2008, 03:11:58 AM »
Actor Caine confirms the rumor about Depp being in the next Batman movie but mentions the source as a WB executive?

That report completely flies in the face of WB's denial that Depp is attached in any way to a Batman sequel and their claim that they don't even know that there will be another Batman movie (though that last bit has to be a bit disingenuous because, given the huge boxoffice for The Dark Knight, it's almost impossible to imagine there won't be) along with Depp's own admission that he's never been asked. But who knows? Michael Caine could just be stirring up the rumor mill as a bit of fun, which would not be out of the question given things he's done in the past. Or the WB's dream cast for the next film could actually include Depp, but they just haven't asked him because they have no script yet...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 09, 2008, 03:38:15 AM »
I think it is more the latter-just WB being hopeful that the studio could land Depp. Let's hope that JD does at least one DS movie-I don't think with Depp's number of projects, which continue to grow, that there could actually be a DS movie franchise as JP envisions. JP had mentioned at the Fest that WB wanted to do several DS movies if the first one was successful. WB has not once as far as I know mentioned the DS project in any of its discussions regarding its 2009 and 2010 development projects to the media. It's not a promising sign.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 09, 2008, 03:46:11 AM »
I wouldn't necessarily take that as a bad sign. I've been cautioning that it certainly seems like Tim Burton is going to be tied up with Alice In Wonderland and Frankenweenie for some time - and if WB wants Burton to direct the Depp/DS film, they're certainly going to have to wait until he's free. Plus, we have absolutely no clue what state August's script is in.

Offline LOOKE300

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 10, 2008, 04:05:45 PM »
He did the 3 pirate films so why could,nt he do more then one ds film?

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 10, 2008, 05:18:12 PM »
He might.  He did three Pirate films because--according to interviews--he simply loved playing (or "being") Captain Jack Sparrow.

If he feels the same about Barnabas Collins, then why not?

My own hope is that the film turns into a huge hit, so huge that somebody decides to jumpstart a new television series.   [ghost_smiley]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 10, 2008, 09:19:58 PM »
Another DS Depp reference.

Casting Couch: Depp 'Toons Up

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #546 on: September 11, 2008, 04:41:46 AM »
I don't know about a series???!?!  If Johnny OWNS the Barney part he would be a hard act to follow!!  But who knows??
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 11, 2008, 09:41:51 PM »
Well, Depp did get his start in TV...  [ghost_wink]

If there is a new series that grows out of a hypothetical movie franchise, I strongly suspect it will have a strong cast and not be dependent on Barnabas.  Still, it would be great if Depp did appear as Barn occasionally, for occasional storylines during sweeps or season ending cliffhangers.....  [ghost_tongue2]
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 11, 2008, 09:52:38 PM »
I don't know about a series???!?!  If Johnny OWNS the Barney part he would be a hard act to follow!!  But who knows??

As far as I'm concerned, Jonathan Frid owns the role of Barnabas and always will, no matter who follows him. Going from Depp in a film to someone else in a series (because Johnny Depp does not strike me as the type to do TV after becoming a successful movie actor) wouldn't bother me.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #549 on: September 11, 2008, 09:59:18 PM »
All valid points.  Who knows though.  I doubt Johnny would do Tv so they would definately have to get a new Barney..but I have gotten us off topic.  I am so over all this riddler mess.  Even Yahoo has it on their front entertainment page like it's the gospel!  *EYE ROLL*
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 13, 2008, 11:39:54 PM »
Another latecomer to the party - but all are welcome.  [ghost_wink]

Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins? Be still my vampire-lovin' heart!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 13, 2008, 11:55:26 PM »
Actor Caine confirms the rumor about Depp being in the next Batman movie but mentions the source as a WB executive?

That report completely flies in the face of WB's denial that Depp is attached in any way to a Batman sequel and their claim that they don't even know that there will be another Batman movie (though that last bit has to be a bit disingenuous because, given the huge boxoffice for The Dark Knight, it's almost impossible to imagine there won't be) along with Depp's own admission that he's never been asked.

Yet another denial - this time from Philip Seymour Hoffman: Philip Seymour Hoffman's Batman no

So, now there's WB, Depp and Hoffman all denying everything and Caine stirring the pot. I wonder which side would appear to be more credible?

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 15, 2008, 02:43:11 AM »
A DS movie reference and a congrats to Burton and Depp for their success. (since this linked page is updated frequently I will paste it here as it will eventually change).

In the 2009 edition of the Guinness Book of World Records, Johnny Depp and Tim Burton are named the most lucrative Hollywood movie partnership, grossing $986 million from six films and counting.
Edward Scissorhands (1991)
Ed Wood (1994)
Sleepy Hollow (1999)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
Corpse Bride (2005)
Sweeney Todd (2007)

With word that the two will also team for projects such as Alice in Wonderland and a film based on the Dark Shadows gothic soap opera, they may be holding that record for a long time to come.
:-)

http://www.deppimpact.com/news/news.html

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 21, 2008, 03:54:05 PM »
A brief DS movie reference in an article about the popularity of vampires across the board.

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/story/693306.html

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #554 on: September 25, 2008, 02:38:03 AM »
Hoo boy.... this may not be the best news for us DS fans...  Today was a big day for Depp announcements, as 3 count 'em THREE new films were announced to have his involvement:

1) Alice In Wonderland (as The Mad Hatter)- this one is not a surprise, but today is the first official confirmation that we've heard
2) The Lone Ranger (either as the title character or as Tonto- there seems to be some confusion).  This is totally out of the blue
3) a 4th Pirates film- this is not too much of a surprise, either, as it's been hinted at ever since At World's End.  But my question now is, do they have any firm plans in place, or is this just something they aspire to do someday?  If the latter, no problem- I don't mind them doing another Pirates film maybe another decade from now.  But I personally think Captain Jack needs a long rest.

Source is Variety, as well as other reputable sources, so this is solid information, folks:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117992798.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Don't forget, he's doing the animated film, Rango, early next year, too, though hopefully that project won't take too long.

Personally, while I love Johnny and am happy for any choices he's happy with, I'm rather disheartened to hear about all these new things coming up, when I really want to hear news about DS.

Cathy

P.S. I should add that I think by now, the Riddler/Batman rumor has pretty much been dispelled, for good.  I think Caine was confused.