Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 451071 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2007, 07:17:28 PM »
One certainly has to wonder how people manage to misconstrue simple facts. Case in point: according to this article on SkullRing.org: Depp, Warner Brothers take a bite out of "Dark Shadows", in addition to the '91 revival series, apparently there was also a DS TV movie. Who knew?  [hdscrt]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2007, 07:34:10 PM »
Based on this article the DS the movie seems to be down Depp's list.

Depp goes Gonzo again
Actor to star in 'The Rum Diary'

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2007, 07:52:11 PM »
Yes, it can never be mentioned too often that we definitely need to take note that the DS project is only in the earliest stages of development and that Depp already has other projects in various states of readiness to go before the cameras. Like I said, the process to bring his DS to the screen is likely to be a loooong one. However, that could easily work to its advantage because we most certainly wouldn't want things to be rushed and underway before the absolute best script, cast and production personnel are assembled.  ;)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2007, 08:44:04 PM »
People will buy the rights to movie ideas and then do nothing for years or decades.   Sometimes they buy the rights "just in case".   "It's official" means little.    Signing for film rights gets announced, nothing happens, then something comes out of nowhere and gets made without fanfare, right?     I think.    "It's only official" might make more sense.

You can't even go by whether they announce a show's been canceled or picked up.  I've noticed those announcements getting reversed a lot in recent years.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2007, 01:09:33 AM »
True.  Also, Depp has a young daughter who has been very ill according to various entertainment news sites.  Who knows how much time and attention that may require from him.

nancy

Yes, it can never be mentioned too often that we definitely need to take note that the DS project is only in the earliest stages of development and that Depp already has other projects in various states of readiness to go before the cameras. Like I said, the process to bring his DS to the screen is likely to be a loooong one. However, that could easily work to its advantage because we most certainly wouldn't want things to be rushed and underway before the absolute best script, cast and production personnel are assembled.  ;)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2007, 02:18:33 AM »
One certainly has to wonder how people manage to misconstrue simple facts. Case in point: according to this article on SkullRing.org: (URL)
, in addition to the '91 revival series, apparently there was also a DS TV movie. Who knew?  [hdscrt]

I saw the DS TV movie.  It was on Lifetime.  Delta Burke starred as Eliizabeth Collins Stoddard and Valerie Bertinelli played Dr. Julia Hoffman.  They also said it was "based on a true story."

Gerard

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2007, 02:19:46 AM »
I think i have heard that Depp's daughter Lily Rose is on the mend, but I read it was tough going earlier this year...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2007, 03:13:15 AM »
I agree MB that it may take years before we see the DS movie. For example this article indicates the Rum Diary took seven years from the time the rights had been obtained to go into pre-production on the film. Not sure I can wait that long.

King, WIP toast 'Rum' with Depp

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2007, 04:06:31 AM »
You're not ill James, I hope.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2007, 10:53:33 AM »
You're not ill James, I hope.

Darren some of my friends have claimed that I am. lol It looks like we won't have to wait 7 years because this article says DS maybe  third on Depp's list although it may have to battle with number four to see which project claims the third spot. Maybe I am ill after all.

Jack Sparrow finds the Rum

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2007, 12:27:10 PM »
We all are.   It's a cool shared experience.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2007, 01:32:09 PM »
Lots of articles turning up on this subject. Take a look at the one below. Some inaccuracies but overall good.

Depp Sinks Teeth Into Classic Character

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2007, 03:10:37 PM »
It looks like we won't have to wait 7 years because this article says DS maybe  third on Depp's list although it may have to battle with number four to see which project claims the third spot. Maybe I am ill after all.

The key phrase in that article is: "Of course things can change all the time". That pretty much sums up the entire entertainment industry because projects are always being announced, delayed, moved up and even canceled - often without little advance notice. To say the entertainment industry can be volatile would be an understatement.  :D  It's certainly only natural for all of us to be anxious to see things take shape as soon as possible. But in the long run it would probably be best to just sit back, relax, and let things take their natural course - whatever that turns out to be.  ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2007, 03:18:39 PM »
I saw the DS TV movie.  It was on Lifetime.  Delta Burke starred as Eliizabeth Collins Stoddard and Valerie Bertinelli played Dr. Julia Hoffman.  They also said it was "based on a true story."

Oh, no! It sounds like it was amazing! How foolish of me not to have heard about it!  [6184]  And now I'm REALLY upset that I completely missed it!!

;D

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2007, 05:48:23 PM »
Take a look at the one below. Some inaccuracies but overall good. ...

From that TV Blend article:  The tidbit was revealed during Warners' presentation at Comic-Con in San Diego on Friday.

Did anyone here attend Comic-Con?