Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 106979 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #1470 on: January 03, 2024, 06:30:34 PM »
Two posts worth revisiting related to Scene 104:

Given that this slideshow originally played over five years ago, you may not realize that today's graphic -

- is a new and improved version from the one that appeared in 2016 -

- and that's because in the ensuing time I came across the actual still and didn't have to rely on the version that was shared in the DS Movie Book on page 177. It's odd how the color photos in that book tend to scan with a yellowish tint, plus they don't scan completely clearly. And the actual still shows more (though all of its appearances in the slideshow's graphics are cropped)...

The slideshow will show 8 graphics (over a period of 7 days) using the color still for Scene 104, but as I pointed out, they will all be cropped versions of the still (some more cropped than others), so the graphics will never show the full still. So, with that in mind, here's the full still:

(Click here for a 700X1028 version)

But just because there are 8 graphics using the color still, that doesn't mean that Scene 104 will end when they do because after the color still, the graphics will switch over to using a B&W still from the scene. But more on that in January...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: January 04, 2024, 10:58:10 PM »
Continuing to revisit how Scene 104 is scripted:

Moving on with Scene 104, beginning with Tracy's reply to Quentin:

TRACY
                 Why think about it?  After what
                 happened last night we don't
                 have a choice.  Let me ask Car-
                 lotta about a doctor.

He gets up and starts to pace.  She notices the limp.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 45/Scene 104 - Tracy: 'What's wrong with your leg.'

- comes up.

And there's still absolutely nothing to get into when it comes to the differences with the dialogue, the descriptions, or the directions because this scene only appears in the 129 minute version of the film. Though it is the case that in the script Tracy's quoted line does indeed end with a period rather than a question mark. And for this section of the scene DC's script notations indicate that there's a 2 shot of Tracy and Quentin while she points out that they don't have a choice and she wants to ask Carlotta about a doctor, and then when Quentin paces/limps he moves toward the camera. But again, we can't necessarily expect that's actually the way things play because the camera shots in the film don't always follow DC's notes.

[pointing-up]  As far as "today's quote" goes, it was January 2nd this time around.

Moving on with Scene 104, beginning with Quentin's reaction/reply to Tracy:

For a moment he doesn't hear her.

And that's when yesterday's quote -

Page 45/Scene 104 - Quentin: 'What?...oh...I took a ride over to the Mill this morning and that stupid horse...threw me. It'll be OK. Don't worry.'

- comes up, followed by today's first quote -

Page 45/Scene 104 - Tracy: 'I asked you not to ride Ulysses.'

- coming up, followed by today's second quote -

Page 45/Scene 104 - Quentin: 'I wasn't. It was Dubloon.'

- coming up.

And there's still absolutely nothing to get into blah, blah, blah. And for this section of the scene DC's script notations indicate that before Quentin delivers yesterday's quote, the camera pans up to a close-up of him, which then changes to a medium shot when Tracy brings up Ulysses, and then after Quentin says it wasn't (Ulysses), he turns to Tracy before he says it was Dubloon (and as we will recall, Dubloon was Charles' horse - boom Boom BOOOOM!). But again, we can't necessarily expect that's actually the way things play because the camera shots in the film don't always follow DC's notes.

[pointing-up]  As far as "yesterday's quote" goes, it was indeed yesterday's, January 3rd's, this time around. And so far as "today's quote" goes, it's today's, January 4th's, this time around.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: January 05, 2024, 10:22:00 PM »
Wrapping up revisiting how Scene 104 is scripted:

Moving on with Scene 104, beginning with Tracy attempting to bring the subject of a doctor back:

TRACY
                 What about the doctor?

He comes to her, ignoring the question.

104    CONTD (2)                             (2) CONTD   104

QUENTIN
                 Do you still love me?

TRACY
                 I  still love you, yes.

They look at each other.

Page 46/Scene 104 - Tracy: 'Quentin, maybe it's this house. Maybe we don't belong here. You know, we don't have to stay.'

- comes up.

And there's still absolutely nothing to get into when it comes to the differences with the dialogue, the descriptions, or the directions because this scene only appears in the 129 minute version of the film.

[pointing-up]  As far as "today's quote" goes, it is indeed today's quote, January 5th's, this time around.

And wrapping up Scene 104, beginning with today's first quote -

Page 46/Scene 104 - Quentin: 'Look, in the light of day the whole thing seems completely ridiculous. [He sits next to her.] Why don't we at least give it the day and we'll talk about it this afternoon.'

- coming up, followed by the script explaining:

She thinks for a moment and then sees the sense
in what he is saying.  She nods.

And that's when today's second quote -

Page 46/Scene 104 - Quentin: 'And -- I'll think about that doctor.'

- comes up.

And there's still absolutely nothing to get into when it comes to the differences with the dialogue, the descriptions, or the directions because this scene only appears in the 129 minute version of the film. And as far as the notations in DC's script go, the camera starts with a medium shot of Quentin and then trucks to a close-up of Tracy. But of course, we can't necessarily expect that's the way things actually play because the camera shots in the film don't always follow DC's notes.

And tomorrow's slideshow begins a sequence that doesn't appear in any version of the film...

[pointing-up]  As far as "today's" first and second quotes go, they will appear as tomorrow's, January 6th's, this time around.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: January 06, 2024, 03:38:04 PM »
Another post worth revisiting regarding Scene 104:

When it comes to yesterday's and today's graphics -

- they were made using crops from this still -

(Click here for a 532X700 version)

- which, so far as I can remember, has never been officially published anywhere.

But what you may recall, especially given the numbering on my copy, is that the still is #19 in the NoDS Editor's Portfolio.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: January 07, 2024, 06:44:34 PM »
With regard to Scene 104, Darren Gross posted on his Restoration Web site -

A selection of scenes cut from the 129-minute version that have been recovered:

Quentin enters the dining room limping and wearing the riding clothes given to him as a present. When Quentin attacks distracted and trancelike, Tracy recommends he see a doctor.

- and I wonder if Darren really meant to write "When Quentin acts distracted and trancelike" instead of "When Quentin attacks distracted and trancelike"? Although, I don't actually recall what Scene 104 was like when Darren showed the footage. But then I believe there was no dialogue, so it may actually be that Quentin is more belligerent in his delivery than the script may indicate...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: January 07, 2024, 09:20:30 PM »
Revisiting how Scene 105 and the beginning of Scene 106 is scripted:

105    EXT - STABLES - DAY                              105

Gerard is up on a scaffold fixing the roof as Tracy
       crosses the courtyard, walks under the scaffolding
       and ENTERS the stable without seeing him.

CUT TO:

106    INT - STABLES - DAY                              106

as she ENTERS there is a sudden snarling as the two
       black dogs appear and start menacingly toward her.

Page 46/Scene 106 - Tracy: 'Stay away now...stay away...'

- comes up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, there's nothing to comment about because none of this sequence appears in any version of the film (and in a later post we'll get into the reason that's most likely). And while there are some notations in DC's script for Scene 106, they don't come up until later in the scene. But what is interesting is that you may recall that when it came to Scene 52, what's scripted is:

52     EXT - STABLES - DAY                               52

The two dogs are playing in the stable yard as
       Quentin ENTERS under the archway.  Suddenly the
       dogs become hostile.  Quentin stops, frowns,
       then keeps walking.  The dogs wait for a moment
       and then start slowly for him.  They are snarling
       viciously as Gerard appears in the doorway.

But what actually happens in the film is that:

unlike how the script says that we see the dogs playing and when Quentin arrives, they become vicious and slowly make a move toward Quentin before Gerard stops them, as can be seen in the following capture, in the film Scene 52 starts off with shots of Gerard repairing brickwork -

- and as Gerard does this, off camera we hear Quentin call out "Stiles" and then introduce himself with "I'm Mr. Collins - and it isn't until the next camera shot that we see that Gerard is up on some scaffolding repairing brickwork near the roof of a part of the stable building, the dogs are quietly standing near the base of the ladder, and Quentin has just entered the stable yard, as can all be seen in the next capture -

So, it would seem as though the altered opening to Scene 52 was done so as to play off the scripted opening to Scene 105. But then, we're never going to know if that's really true because, apart from a few publicity stills and behind the scenes photos, nothing from Scenes 105, 106 & 106A appears to exist, so most likely we'll never know how Scene 105 was actually shot...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: January 08, 2024, 03:24:18 PM »
The first still worth revisiting related to Scenes 105, 106 & 106A:

This next still I'm sharing is an extremely rare one. Not only have I never seen it published anywhere, I've rarely seen it for sale anywhere. And because it would certainly seem to be associated with Scenes 105, 106 & 106A, all of which don't appear in any version of the film, it's hard to know if it's depicting a moment from the sequence or if it's a candid. And if it's a moment from the sequence, if it appears at the beginning or the end of it. There's nothing in the scripted versions (yes, there are more than one, and we'll eventually get into that) to indicate the still depicts a moment from the sequence. But as we well know, how the script might indicate the scenes were shot and how they were actually shot can be very different.

Because it might seem to depict Gerard in a melancholy mood, which would be a departure from his normal angry or lecherous moods, both of which he most often exhibits in the film, I'd like to think the still does indeed depict a moment from the sequence, either from its beginning or end. And because it might be from the beginning rather than the end, I'm sharing the still now instead of later on:

(Click here for a 700X1028 version)

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: January 08, 2024, 09:32:00 PM »
Revisiting more of how Scene 106 is scripted:

The dogs are slowly backing her into a corner when
       Gerard ENTERS THE SHOT.

And that's when the first part of today's quote -

Page 46/Scene 106 - Gerard: 'Don't move.'

- comes up, followed by the script continuing with:

He crosses to her.  She can see the raw scratches
       still on his face.

106    CONTD                                             CONTD   106

And that's when the second part of today's quote -

Page 47/Scene 106 - Gerard: 'Now, Brutus...now, Tar...'

- comes up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, there's nothing to comment about because none of this sequence appears in any version of the film.

[pointing-up]  As far as "today's quote" goes, it is indeed today's quote, January 8th's, this time around.

Continuing along with Scene 106:

The dogs keep up their snarling.

And that's when today's first quote -

Page 47/Scene 106 - Gerard: 'She won't hurt you...no...she's just come down to ride...that's all. She likes Gerard.'

He moves close to her and reaches out, caressing her
       face.  She pulls away but stops as the dogs snarl
       and he rubs her again.

And that's when today's second quote -

Page 47/Scene 106 - Gerard: 'She is a friend. A friend. See?'

- comes up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, there's nothing to comment about because none of this sequence appears in any version of the film.

[pointing-up]  As far as "today's" first and second quotes go, they will appear as tomorrow's, January 9th's, this time around.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: January 09, 2024, 06:22:10 PM »
The second still worth revisiting related to Scenes 105, 106 & 106A:

The latest four graphics -

- have all been made using various portions of this still -

(Click here for a 700X885 version)

- which to my memory has only been officially published on page 238 of the DS Movie Book - and an interesting thing is that whenever NoDS stills come up for sale on places like Heritage Auctions, it's very rarely ever included in the batches being auctioned off - I was lucky enough to buy my copy in 1996 at Jerry Ohlinger's Movie Materials Store in NYC.

Various portions of a more widely available still will be showing up in the slideshow soon - though you may not recognize it at first...

And you may also recall that the still is #27 in the NoDS Editor's Portfolio.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: January 11, 2024, 03:50:28 PM »
Another post related to Scenes 105, 106 & 106A that's worth revisiting:

Before we move on from graphics made using the still that I shared in Reply #330, I want to mention that after I posted it I noticed that the wound on the right side of Gerard's mouth is different from the way it looks in the still I'd posted in Reply #327:

For the color still the top of the wound -

- sticks straight up and away from the corner of Gerard's lip, whereas in the B&W still the top of wound -

- curves down onto the top of the corner of Gerard's lip. Perhaps this is because the stills weren't taken on the same day, or perhaps the makeup had to be reapplied for some reason and it wasn't done exactly the same. Sadly, we'll never know which way, if even either, it looked in the film...

And something I've never really thought about before is just how many days are supposed to pass between the time Quentin attacks Gerard and we see him again in Scene 190. Quite obviously a wound like that would not heal completely in just a few days. Though as the film currently stands, the passage of time for the wound to heal isn't even a consideration because the audience never sees the wound in the 94 minute version of the film, nor did we see it in the 97 minute version. And actually, it's not on view in the 129 minute version either because this sequence doesn't appear in any version of the film...

[pointing-up]  And Reply #330 was revisited in Reply #1480 this time around, and Reply #327 was revisited in Reply #1478.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: January 11, 2024, 10:20:02 PM »
And concluding Scene 106 (in DC's script):

Finally, the dogs turn and walk away.

Page 47/Scene 106 - Tracy (lowly): 'Don't you ever touch me again!'

Gerard stares at her, then quite cooly turns away.

And that's where the scene ends in DC's script. However, it's not where Scene 106 ends in Grayson's script - and we'll get into that continuation in the next post. And what will be interesting is that as the slideshow progresses for the next few days you'll see how that continuation was reworked for DC's script and turned into Scene 106A, even though it's not indicated as a rewrite in his script...

And of course, when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, blah, blah, blah because blag, blah, blah. And yes, the script uses the "cooly" spelling variation of the word "coolly"...

[pointing-up]  As far as "today's quote" goes, it was January 10th this time around.

As you'll see as Scene 106A unfolds in the slideshow and the posts following this one, some of it is very much the same as Grayson's script's continuation of Scene 106 - but things will change radically before too long. But here's how things were originally supposed to play:

GERARD
                 I'll saddle your horse.

He walks to the saddle rack, takes one and throws it
       over a tall gray.

TRACY
                 This isn't Dubloon, is it? The
                 horse my husband rode this morning --

GERARD
                 We don't have a Dubloon.  He rode
                 Ulysses.

Tracy thinks about this.

TRACY
                 Where's the Mill on the property?

GERARD
                 There's no mill.

TRACY
                 Are you sure?

GERARD
                 Yes -- I'm sure.

Tracy mounts her horse as Gerard makes no move to help
       her but just stands staring at her.  Then, unable to
       bear his presence any longer, she rides off.[color]

Gee, I wonder why Tracy could no longer bear Gerard's presence?  [ghost_wink]

With the exception of one written addition to the descriptions and directions, DC's script's version of Scene 106A begins exactly like Grayson's script's continuation of Scene 106:

106A   INT - HORSE PART OF STABLE                                106A

GERARD
                 I'll saddle your horse.
       Takes horse out
       He walks to the saddle rack, takes one and throws it
       over a tall gray.

And just as in Grayson's script, that's when today's quote -

Page 47/Scene 106A - Tracy: 'That isn't Dubloon, is it? The horse my husband rode this morning --'

- comes up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, there's nothing to comment about because none of this sequence appears in any version of the film. But this is the only part of Scene 106A where the dialogue is exactly the same as Grayson's continuation of Scene 106. And this part of DC's script is where his notations finally begin for the sequence as he indicates that Scene 106A begins with a wide shot and then trucks tighter as Tracy walks to Gerard.

[pointing-up]  As far as "today's quote" goes, it is indeed today's quote, January 11h's, this time around.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: January 12, 2024, 02:30:16 AM »
And another post related to Scenes 105, 106 & 106A that's worth revisiting:

I still feel the same as I did back then:

And am I the only one who thinks it's a shame that none of the horses received a credit in the film? I mean, quite often when it comes to dogs in TV and films you see things like "And Trixie as Scruffy". So why no something like "Featuring Max as Ulysses and Fred as Dubloon"?!  [ghost_nowink]  [ghost_sad]  [ghost_wink]

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: January 12, 2024, 05:30:30 PM »
The part of a post worth revisiting that's related to Scenes 105, 106 & 106A:

Page 155 of the DS Almanac Millennium Edition features a still of Gerard at the stable -

- leading out Tracy's horse - ...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: January 13, 2024, 12:12:18 AM »
Continuing with how Scene 106A is scripted in DC's script:

After today's quote -

Page 47/Scene 106A - Gerard: 'We don't have a Dubloon. He rode Ulysses, like he always does.'

- comes up, Scene 106A continues in the script with:

Tracy thinks about this.

TRACY
          Where's the Mill?

GERARD
          What?

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, there's nothing to comment about with comparison to the film because none of this sequence appears in any version of the film. But as we can see with today's quote, "like he always does" was added to Gerard's original line in Grayson's continuation of Scene 106 - and then when it comes to Scene 106A in DC's script "on the property" was dropped from Tracy's initial question. And while those are minor changes, soon their conversation will not only lengthen, it will be going in a totally different direction than it does in Grayson's continuation of Scene 106. And when it comes to this part of DC's script, his notations indicate that the camera changes to a 2 shot when Tracy asks about the Mill.

[pointing-up]  As far as "today's quote" goes, it is indeed today's, January 12th's,  this time around.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: January 13, 2024, 06:24:54 PM »
A behind the scenes still to revisit:

Today I thought I'd share a rare production still of DC directing Scene 106A:

[nods]