Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 103239 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #210 on: November 11, 2021, 01:16:06 AM »
Apparently Charles Collins was a man who believed in equal opportunity manhandling [9341] -

(Click here for a 1000X781 version)

- as this seventh as well as rare still to preview Scene 85 shows...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 11, 2021, 05:16:19 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote (the first part of which relates to Alex' claim that if he had wanted to live with an 1890 newsboy, he'd have found one, and the second part of which relates to the knickers Gregory wants to sell Claire) -

Page 33/Scene 83 - Gregory: 'God knows where. Obviously he has no sense of style ... Chic. Come to my house next week for a drink and wear them. He'll adore them --''

- check out -

Continuing with Scene 83, ...

- up to the second quote in this post...

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 11, 2021, 05:38:14 PM »
It's a fun scene. It really shows a genuine friendship between Tracy and Claire. And Gregory, well, is like no other character in the DS pantheon. Unfortunately, it doesn't add all that much to the film as a whole. It might have worked better if it had been intercut with bits of Carlotta or Gerard doing something nefarious back at Collinwood. I can see why DC chose not to shoot the scene. Which leads me to wonder if Gregory had even been cast. It wouldn't be like DC to cast an actor then have to pay him for doing nothing
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 12, 2021, 02:40:57 PM »
 [pointing-up]  From the way the sequence has been talked about, I doubt things ever got to the point where Gregory was actually cast. It seems like before production began some actors' names were bandied about, but before any might have been cast, DC decided to scrap the whole sequence. As far as even the 129 minute version of the finished film goes, the audience would be left forever wondering who Gregory was when Tracy told Quentin that "Gregory said I could take them back" after Quentin discovered she'd bought him a pair of riding breeches...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 12, 2021, 02:52:41 PM »
More join the fray in the eighth still to preview Scene 85:

(Click here for a 1203X925 version)

And so far as I can recall this still has only been published twice: a very small version is on page 224 of the DS Movie Book and a much better version was shared by Cinefantastique with its review, which The Doctor and K9 generously shared back in Reply #131.

(And speaking of the Cinefantastique review, I keep meaning to get back to make some comments on it - but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But one day - perhaps when some of what I have to say relates to what we're covering in the slideshow...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 13, 2021, 01:12:08 AM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote (the first part of which relates to Gregory inviting Claire and Alex for drinks at his house where she could wear the knickers Gregory wants to sell Claire) -

Page 33/Scene 83 - Claire: 'He'll adore the drinks. This is Tracy Collins.'

- check out -

- up to the third quote in this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 13, 2021, 03:08:18 PM »
And now we move from stills depicting the scene to stills from behind the scenes to preview Scene 85:

(Click here for a 1000X779 version)
(Keep the fruit bowl in mind...)

This still first showed up in a Nov. '71 16 Magazine article and a Daytime TV article to promote the movie. And then in later years it showed up on page 111 of the DS Companion. Though all of those versions range from greatly cropped to slightly cropped...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 14, 2021, 04:20:16 PM »
Here's a still of DC directing to preview Scene 85:

This still first showed up on page 34 of the DS Almanac 30th Anniversary Tribute. But something that's really weird is there's a scan of it that shows up in a few places on the Internet and it's backwards. And even if people didn't realize which side the fabric should be on and which side the window should be on, one might think that in the backward version they'd noticed that the unfinished Angelique painting is oriented wrong...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 14, 2021, 06:02:58 PM »
[pointing-up]  From the way the sequence has been talked about, I doubt things ever got to the point where Gregory was actually cast. It seems like before production began some actors' names were bandied about, but before any might have been cast, DC decided to scrap the whole sequence. As far as even the 129 minute version of the finished film goes, the audience would be left forever wondering who Gregory was when Tracy told Quentin that "Gregory said I could take them back" after Quentin discovered she'd bought him a pair of riding breeches...

I have a feeling the shopping sequence was dropped primarily for budgetary reasons. Since they apparently decided to shoot the entire film on the Lyndhurst estate, it may have been difficult to find somewhere on site that didn't need a lot of set design/dressing work to make it convincing. Going into Tarrytown or Irvington would have probably added a lot of extra expense they didn't feel was warranted for a sequence that doesn't really advance the plot (even if it does enrich the characterizations).

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 14, 2021, 06:04:10 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of yesterday's quote (Gregory's reaction to being introduced to Tracy) -

Page 33/Scene 83 - Gregory: 'The lady of the manor? (he bows) Welcome.'

- check out -

- through the end in this post...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 14, 2021, 06:11:11 PM »
Another thought regarding the shopping sequence. As much as I'd like to be able to see it on screen, I think it would feel quite out of place in the film that we have. It would be the ONLY interjection of a bit of the outside world, in what is otherwise a very weird, creepy, other-worldly bubble (which is one of the things I really love about the film).

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 15, 2021, 01:10:26 AM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 33/Scene 83 - Tracy: 'Hi. This makes me feel like I'm back in New York.'

- check out -

Wrapping up Scene 83, beginning with Tracy's comments about Gregory's shop:

- up to the first quote in this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 15, 2021, 04:34:00 AM »
And another behind the scenes still featuring David Selby and Lara Parker to preview Scene 85:

(Click here for a 700X476 version)

This one is fairly rare - and it is something to keep in mind along with the still shared in Reply #216 because they will relate to something coming up in a couple days...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 15, 2021, 03:30:22 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 33/Scene 83 - Gregory: 'Oh, do I have something for you ... it's madness it's so perfect. [He whips out an insane dress.] Could it be more you?'

- check out -

Wrapping up Scene 83, ...

- up to the second quote in this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 15, 2021, 09:18:26 PM »
Now, this next rare still is definitely behind the scenes - and it could very easily be behind the scenes preparing for Scene 85. But it could also be behind the scenes preparing for Scenes 102 or 124 because Charles and Gabriel are wearing the same clothes.

(Click here for a 1400X1557 version)

And, although Charles is also wearing a black vest in Scene 102, Selby could have easily put that on after getting his sideburns attended to. But I chose to go with Scene 85 because it's the longest. And who knows, all those scenes might have been shot on the same day...

Also, it's amusing that in the still there's a copy of Bram Stoker's Dracula on the table near Selby -

- though, of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it was his or he was reading it. It could have been left on the table by anyone...