Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 107453 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #870 on: December 30, 2022, 01:04:34 AM »
When it comes to what DC considered to be Scene 100B, after Tracy points out that the important thing is to try to figure out why Quentin's attack on Gerard and herself happened, Quentin responds with "I know...how we gonna do that?" - now, both get the "I know" part perfectly correct - but, perhaps to make it more grammatically correct, the subtitles inserts the word "are" -

- and the closed captioning makes it even more grammatically correct by having -

Who knows why both are suddenly such sticklers for grammar when the actual dialogue isn't?  [santa_huh] [santa_rolleyes]

And one other thing when it comes to Scene 100B is that Tracy starts off replying to Quentin's question by saying, "Well, let's go to sleep," which the subtitles completely acknowledges, but the closed captioning has -

[nods]

(ADMIN: Edited to replace TV video screen captures)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: December 31, 2022, 07:24:10 PM »
And when it comes to Scene 102, the closed captioning acknowledges that Gabriel bursts out in unscripted hysterical laughter as the door is closed on Charles -

- however, the subtitles do not - and once again there's a rather strange interpretation in both the closed captioning and the subtitles when it comes to the end of the scene because Gabriel actually shouts an unscripted "Kill Dubloon," and that's Charles horse (and we've discussed how insanely vindictive Gabriel is to have ordered that!), but the closed captioning has -

- which does sound somewhat like what's actually said, but the really strange interpretation comes with the subtitles, which also sounds somewhat like what's actually said -

- but both? Who in heaven's name would "both" refer to?! But I suppose whoever did the subtitles didn't ask themselves that question.  [santa_rolleyes]

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: January 03, 2023, 04:46:43 PM »
And a belated reminder that when it comes to Scenes 101 & 102, be sure to reacquaint yourself when these two posts:

Before we get into DC's script's version of Scenes 101 & 102, this is what Grayson's script's version is like: ...

Also before we get into DC's script's version of Scenes 101 & 102, we should reacquaint ourselves with Scene 67 in Grayson's script: ...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: January 25, 2023, 09:04:38 PM »
I've finally gotten back to pointing out issues with the closed captioning and the subtitles. (The contractor finally finished with my new ceiling, so I've been spending a lot of time putting my home office back together - plus, I came down with a cold during which time I wasn't in the mood to do much of anything that wasn't absolutely necessary. Though it could have been worse, it could have been COVID...)

Interestingly, when it comes to Scene 103, the subtitles barely acknowledge anything that takes place during the scene, but the closed captioning acknowledges nearly everything - first up in the closed captioning , Quentin gasping for air -

- then the script indicates that Quentin is supposed to be mumbling, "I can't breathe...I can't...breathe...", but to me it's always sounded like, "Help me. ...  Help me.", and the closed captioning would seem to confirm that -

- and then while trying to wake Quentin, Tracy is scripted to say, "Quentin...Quentin? What's wrong?", but she actually says, "Quentin...sweetheart?", and strangely enough the subtitles only acknowledge Tracy saying -

- so the closed captioning is the only one that acknowledges her saying -

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: January 26, 2023, 06:30:02 PM »
And here's a reminder about Scene 103:

And here we have the Blu-ray to represent every other version:

Now, the really interesting thing here is that the scene of Tracy in bed trying to comfort Quentin comes up in the 94 and 97 minute versions of the film at the end of Quentin's dream on his first night at Collinwood, however, no such sequence is scripted because the dream is put together from various scenes that should appear at other times in the film. The dream takes place between scripted Scenes 40 and 51, and that scene with Quentin and Tracy is scripted to be Scene 103 - and it tales place in the 129 minute version of the film in its rightful place. So that means that in that version of the film, it's followed by Scene 104, which is the scene in the Dining Room the next morning with Tracy having her coffee and -

(Click here for a 700X1028 version)

- Quentin enters wearing the riding outfit that Tracy gave him. So of course that means that the music cue heard on all but the VHS version of the film plays as Scene 103 transitions to Scene 104...

And the music cue that plays isn't included in the NoDS section of the Movie Soundtracks CD because it's already a part of the hoDS section where it's entitled "Another Victim" - and here's that selection to get a better idea how in the 129 minute version it helps to transition from Scene 103 to Scene 104:

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: January 27, 2023, 06:22:10 PM »
 [pointing-up]  I forgot to mention yesterday that that music cue was originally written and used for Dead of Night: A Darkness at Blaisedon. Those who remember the show may recall it plays over the opening scene...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: January 28, 2023, 10:40:00 PM »
When it comes to Scene 108, after Alex spots a figure walking toward the Greenhouse and he calls out, "Hey, you!", he follows that up by calling out an unscripted, "Hello there!", and both the subtitles -

- and the closed captioning -

- acknowledge that.

[nods]

(ADMIN: Edited to replace a TV video screen capture)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 30, 2023, 06:54:51 PM »
When it comes to Scene 109, rather than the scripted "Hello!", Alex calls out another "Hello there!" as he approches the Greenhouse, and both the subtitles -

- reflect that.

And interestingly the closed captioning acknowledges the sound the portion of the glass ceiling that's about to fall makes before it does so -

- yet the subtitles don't.

And after Tracy arrives on the scene after the ceiling glass has come crashing down, she calls out to Alex to ask if he's all right, and she begins to enter the Greenhouse, Alex warns her with an unscripted "Stay out of here, honey," though the "honey" part isn't included in either the subtitles -

- or the closed captioning -

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 03, 2023, 01:22:07 AM »
Here are two behind the scenes stills that I believe are related to the shooting of Scene 109. And I say that because there are several stories about how everyone had to wear hard hats while the scene was shot. Well, everyone except for Kate Jackson and, more significantly, John Karlen because they had to be inside the Greenhouse during the scene. Karlen's part of the scene made him especially vulnerable because he had to be inside for an extended period of time and inside while glass came crashing down from the roof. But apparently he was a real trooper. In fact the was a real trooper throughout the whole sequence because not only did he enter a dangerous glass building to shoot a scene, but as has been mentioned before, he rode a bicycle when he'd never done so before.

But be all that as it were, here are the two stills -

- they were among the stills I rediscovered not that long ago, and so far as I know, I don't believe they've ever been officially published...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 03, 2023, 04:34:00 PM »
 [pointing-up]  I forgot to mention yesterday that another reason I believe the stills are from NoDS is that I'm pretty sure that's NoDS' Director of Photography Richard Shore in the cherry picker with DC.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 08, 2023, 06:38:19 PM »
When it comes to Scene 110, rather than the "What happened?" that's scripted for Tracy to ask near the end of Scene 109, the line is held for the beginning of Scene 110 and Tracy actually delivers it as -

- as both the subtitles and the closed captioning -

- reflect, and to which Alex replies at first with an unscripted -

- and the closed captioning has Alex stating an unscripted "I don't know" before he begins to deliver the scripted "I was exploring. I guess I shouldn't have been. Then the whole place fell down.", which is also transplanted to Scene 110 from the end of Scene 109 -

- but the subtitles don't acknowledge that unscripted bit beforehand -

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 14, 2023, 07:58:37 PM »
And continuing with Scene 110, after Alex asks Tracy what's new and she tells him she's a little worried about something sort of funny that happened the previous night, Alex responds with an unscripted "Come on, tell me about it," which is acknowledged by both the subtitles -

- and Tracy begins an unscripted explanation with "Well, I don't know exactly. I woke up late and I looked for Quentin. He wasn't there. So I, I went to the tower room..." -

- which the subtitles basically gets correct with just a missing word or two here and there, which is the same case as with the closed captioning -

[nods]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 17, 2023, 02:27:53 AM »
Can't remember if I said this before, but those closed captions look like they're made from a Dymo label maker.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 17, 2023, 04:32:20 PM »
Can't remember if I said this before, but those closed captions look like they're made from a Dymo label maker.

You know, that's exactly what they look like. Excellent observation.  [snow_wink] [snow_cheesy]

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 20, 2023, 12:00:02 AM »
When it comes to Scene 115, Tracy and Quentin exchange unscripted greetings after Tracy enters the Gallery and both the subtitles -

- reflect that - and something that's interesting is that DC's script has notations about those additions and more - first it has that when Tracy enters the room she says "Hello" to Quentin, and second Quentin's first scripted line, "You didn't tell Alex about...my attacking you last night," is completely crossed out and replaced with Quentin replying "Hi. I want to thank you for not telling Alex everything." - and later in the scene after arrangements have been made for Quentin to move his painting from the Tower Room to the Gallery, and after a huffy Carlotta has left the room to start proceedings to do so, what Tracy actually says is "Oh, Quentin, I won't bother you down here. I swear I won't. I always felt you were so far away when you were in the tower." - and when it comes to her last sentence the subtitles have all but her use of "always" - but the closed captioning has -

- and to that Quentin actually replys "Well, I won't be anymore. So I want you to stop worrying about it. Everything's gonna be all right." - though when it comes to the first two sentences the subtitles have -

- and the closed captioning drops even more because it has -

- completely dropping "So I want you to stop worrying about it" and rephrasing "Everything's gonna be all right."

[nods]