Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 107525 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #1560 on: February 27, 2024, 04:22:30 PM »
Revisiting more of how Scene 117 is scripted:

And when it comes to today's quote from Scene 117, Carlotta's response to Quentin's belief that she knows about his dreams -

Page 57/Scene 117 - Carlotta: 'I don't know what you're referring to --'

- there is no difference in the film because it's delivered exactly as scripted.

And when it comes to any differences in the directions and the descriptions, there aren't any of either in the script for this section. However, next to today's quote in Grayson's script she has what seems to me to be a somewhat odd note that reads "to painting".  [ghost_huh]  But another note on the other side of the quote makes perfect sense because Grayson has that Carlotta is thinking "Shall I tell him? Shall I tell him?"

And things really start getting good with tomorrow's quote and actions...

[pointing-up]  And as far as the reference to "today's quote" goes, it is indeed today's, February 27th's, this time around.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: February 28, 2024, 04:22:12 PM »
Moving along with revisiting how Scene 117 is scripted:

And when it comes to today's quote from Scene 117, Quentin's reaction to Carlotta's claim that she doesn't know what he's referring to -

Page 57/Scene 117 - Quentin: 'You know damn well what I'm referring to. [He points at the portrait --] Her. [Carlotta just stands there.] Am I dreaming it, Carlotta? Or is she real?'

- the one difference in what's quoted is that Quentin doesn't use Carlotta's name, as in he actually says "Am I dreaming it? Or is she real?" - but after delivering that in the film Quentin also pleads an unscripted "Now tell me" and then repeats for a second time "Is she real?" - though interestingly enough, in DC's script "it, Carlotta" is crosses out and replaced with "her", but obviously that's not what Quentin says.

And when it comes to any differences in the directions and the descriptions, for one, and as can be seen in today's capture -

- Quentin grabs Carlotta's upper arms while he pleads with her - for two, when he refers to "Her" he doesn't point at the portrait - and for three, Carlotta doesn't simply stand there because she's uncomfortable being in Quentin's grasp, or as DC's script notes put it, being "nose to nose" with Quentin. And speaking of DC's notes, it's interesting that he indicates that when Quentin refers to "Her", the camera was supposed to pan to the portrait and then up to a close-up of Carlotta. That doesn't happen. Nor do we see Carlotta smile when Quentin refers to "Her", which is a note that Grayson made in her script. However, Carlotta does indeed get a great close-up -

- after Quentin first asks if Angelique is real - and then David Selby gets to do his always amazing anguished plea -

- when he asks a second time if Angelique is real - and then the look on Carlotta's face after that -

- is absolutely priceless because she knows that everything that she's been dying to see come out is finally going to come out.  [nodassent]

And as an aside, as can also be seen in today's capture, the sun was out when that bit was shot - though observant viewers will notice that the sunlight and position change a few times in the scene. But more on that as things progress...

[pointing-up]  As far as "today's quote" goes, it is indeed today's, February 28th's, this time around.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: February 28, 2024, 09:30:20 PM »
And then there's this post that's worth revisiting because it features a rare still related to Scene 117:

And the last of what I'm sharing that relates to today's quote from Scene 117 is a rare version of Quentin confronting Carlotta -

(Click here for a 700X650 version)
The Daytime TV caption for it reads: "Quentin goes into frenzy when Carlotta
(Grayson Hall) tells him that Gerard (James
Storm) is on his way to murder Tracy.
(Not exactly what's actually happening, and who knows where they got the idea that is was - someone definitely gave them crap
info for that one, whereas they did give good info for all the others, which makes one wonder if they didn't plan to share what the
caption says but switched and forgot to change the caption?)

- something that was also published as part of that same Daytime TV article that I've shared portions of in Reply #124 (Angelique on the stairs), Reply #286 (Gerard wielding his club) and Reply #287 (Angelique scratching Gabriel). (More from that article is yet to come, some fairly soon, one not so soon...)

It's interesting that every single still that I've shared equally features Quentin and Carlotta but in the film the moment focuses on Quentin much more than Carlotta, who is basically only seen from behind, as is apparent in today's screen capture (which is a part of the 2016 post I've linked to in Reply #413 above).

...it shares something in common with the next still I'll be sharing, something that's more than the obvious that it's also to promote the same moment from Scene 117...

And that is that in both versions Carlotta's nose is shadowed - quite possibly why we don't see them being shared all that much or not at all...

[pointing-up] Two things:

The entire Daytime TV article is shared back in Reply #1352.

The post that's referred to as as being linked to in Reply #413 is revisited above as Reply #1562.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: February 29, 2024, 07:06:10 PM »
Revisiting the subtitles/closed captioning for Scene 117:

When it comes to Quentin insisting to Carlotta, "'You know damn well what I'm referring to. Her," in Scene 117, the closed captioning refers to what Quentin says in its entirety, but the subtitles -

- drops the "damn well" for some reason...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: March 01, 2024, 04:48:14 PM »
You may have wondered why yesterday's entry in this slideshow, unlike every other entry, didn't have a page number for the quote?

Scene 117 - Quentin: 'Now tell me, is she real?'

Well, if you'd read the "Current Talk Error" topic on the "Testing 1,2,3..." board, you already knew. But for those who may not have read that topic, the error on the "Current Talk" board came up because there was no entry for February 29th in the database for this slideshow, so one need to be inserted. Unfortunately, though, there wasn't any skipped dialogue in the script between the quotes for February 28th and March 1st so what I did was insert Quentin's line above, which he delivers in the film, but which wasn't scripted, thus no page number. Though technically I suppose I could have used a page number because a version of the line (just the "Is she real?" part) was handwritten into DC's copy of the script...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: March 01, 2024, 09:02:12 PM »
Continuing to revisit how Scene 117 is scripted:

The script continues Scene 117 with reference to Carlotta:

TRUCK IN ON HER as she finally makes her decision.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 57/Scene 117 - Carlotta: 'Do you remember the little girl you saw at the window the other day?'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

CARLOTTA - QUENTIN

QUENTIN
          Yes, of course I do.

And when it comes to the differences in the dialogue, what Carlotta actually asks is "Do you remember that little girl you thought you saw at the window the other day?", and the addition of "thought you" is indicated in both DC's and Grayson's scripts - and to Carlotta's question, Quentin actually responds with a simple "Yes."

And when it comes to any differences in the directions and the descriptions, and as can be seen in today's capture -

- the camera does indeed truck in on Carlotta as Quentin leans back up and out of frame. However, unlike what the script itself indicates and how DC's notes indicate that after Carlotta asks her question and before Quentin responds, the camera switches to a 2 shot of Carlotta and Quentin in profile, the shot actually continues to slowly truck in closer and closer on Carlotta (as we'll see in the two upcoming captures for tomorrow's and Sunday's quotes).

And when it comes to Grayson's notes for this section of the scene, she writes that before Carlotta asks her question she will again look to the painting and then to Quentin, but, again, that doesn't happen because Carlotta actually keeps her gaze completely on Quentin throughout. And it does seem odd that there are all these references in the script and in personal notes to looking at the portrait when the portrait is simply leaning on its side on the floor, so looking at it would be awkward at best. But perhaps at some point the intent was for the portrait to be hung on the wall again, even though no such indication appears in the script or in DC's or Grayson's notes...

[pointing-up]  As far as "today's quote" goes, it is indeed today's, March 1st's, this time around, and the reference to "Sunday" will actually be Sunday this time around as well.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: March 02, 2024, 06:38:32 PM »
Revisiting more of the subtitles/closed captioning for Scene 117:

In Scene 117, when it comes to Carlotta's explanation, she begins by asking Quentin, "Do you remember that little girl you thought you saw at the window the other day?" - and the closed captioning has exactly that - but the subtitles has -

- dropping the opening "Do." Now, yes, one can still put a question mark at the end of the sentence and say "You remember that little girl you thought you saw at the window the other day?" as a question. But starting off the sentence with "Do" definitely makes it a question. So to drop that particular word is definitely the oddest word to drop. And only the person who did the subtitles knows why they made that questionable choice...

And something that I didn't notice until this time around (what am I always saying about how no matter how many time we watch, there's possibly still something new to catch?) is that after responding to Carlotta's question about remembering the little girl, she goes on by saying, "That little girl was Sarah Castle," and the closed captioning gets that right - however, the subtitles have -

- for some reason.

[nods]

(ADMIN: Edited to add a new observation.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: March 02, 2024, 09:44:16 PM »
More revisiting of how Scene 117 is scripted:

And Scene 117 begins Carlotta's explanation about the little girl Quentin saw as today's quote -

Page 57/Scene 117 - Carlotta: 'Well, it wasn't your imagination, Mr. Collins.'

QUENTIN
          But you implied it was.

And as far as differences in the dialogue go, Carlotta actually drops the "Mr. Collins" in the film and it's also crossed out in Grayson's script - and Quentin's line is completely dropped in the film and is crossed out in both Grayson's and DC's scripts.

And as far as differences in the directions and the descriptions go, there aren't any of either in the script for this section so obviously there can't be any differences in them in the film. However, next to today's quote in Grayson's script she has a notation that reads "Spell it out carefully, clearly, as to a child".

[pointing-up]  So far as "today's quote" goes, it is indeed today's, March 2nd's, this time around.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: March 03, 2024, 04:28:16 PM »
And more revisiting of how Scene 117 is scripted:

After today's quote from Scene 117 -

Page 57/Scene 117 - Carlotta: 'No...you saw Sarah Castle. She lived in this house over one hundred and fifty years ago.'

- comes up, it's followed in the script by:

QUENTIN
                 But that's impossible!

CARLOTTA
                 You've heard of reincarnation,
                 haven't you?

117    CONTD (2)                             (2) CONTD    117

QUENTIN
                 Of course I have.  But that doesn't
                 mean I believe it.

And as far as differences in the dialogue go, what Carlotta actually says in the film at the start of today's quote is "That little girl was Sarah Castle", with the rest being delivered exactly as scripted - but Quentin's "But that's impossible!" is dropped in the film and it's also crossed out in both DC's and Grayson's scripts - and while Carlotta's question about reincarnation isn't crossed out in either script, it is dropped in the film -and Quentin's scripted reply to that question is also crossed out, and what's interesting is that in Grayson's script it's replaced with a simple "Yes" and in DC's script it's replaced with "What about it?", but no doubt because Carlotta's question was dropped, so was Quentin's various replies. And those aren't the only lines from this scene that were dropped in the film. But more on that when tomorrow's quotes come up...

And as far as differences in the directions and the descriptions go, once again there aren't any of either in the script for this section so obviously there can't be any differences in them in the film. However, when it comes to Grayson's script, she has a notation that reads "Just hear me out" next to her question about reincarnation. And in DC's script he has a notation that after Carlotta mentions Sarah, the camera moves in to a close up of Quentin, but as can be seen in today's capture -

- the camera actually remains on a close-up of Carlotta for her entire lines. And when it comes to the dropped portions dealt with in this post, DC has notations that once Quentin's close-up had been reached as Carlotta reveals how Sarah lived at Collinwood over 150 years ago, the camera switches to a close-up of Carlotta when she asks him about reincarnation, but obviously we don't see any of that.

[pointing-up]  And as far as "today's quote" goes, it is indeed today's, March 3rd's, this time around.

[nods]

(Attached Page 43 concludes Sarah Castle as well as Kathleen's entire piece.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: March 04, 2024, 03:14:40 PM »
A video from Scene 117 that's worth revisiting:

unlike what the script itself indicates and how DC's notes indicate that after Carlotta asks her question and before Quentin responds, the camera switches to a 2 shot of Carlotta and Quentin in profile, the shot actually continues to slowly truck in closer and closer on Carlotta

And I have to say I love the slow truck:

I think it's much more effective than a 2 shot could have ever been because the focus should be 100% on Carlotta as she delivers key info to the plot...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: March 04, 2024, 07:42:10 PM »
Revisiting a post related to Scene 117 and which needs no explanation because it explains itself:

... the original slideshow for NoDS included this dropped line -

NoDS: Scene #117 - Quentin: 'But that's impossible!'

- because it was quoted in the Fest's 1999 Movie Calendar, upon which the original slideshow is based.

That line originally appeared as October 13th's installment.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: March 05, 2024, 01:04:16 AM »
Moving along with revisiting how Scene 117 is scripted:

With respect to having heard about reincarnation, picking up Scene 117 after Quentin's scripted "Of course I have. But that doesn't mean I believe it", or Grayson's script's replacement for Quentin, "Yes", or DC's script's replacement for him, "What about it?", today's first quote -

Page 58/Scene 117 - Carlotta: 'Then what is your explanation?'

- comes up in the script, followed in the script by today's second quote -

Page 58/Scene 117 - Quentin: 'I don't have any. But there has to be a better one than that.'

- coming up.

But as far as differences in that dialogue might go, there's not likely to have been any in the film because each quote is crossed out in both Grayson's and DC's scripts and there's nothing written in either script to replace them. And as we'll see as the scene progresses, there's yet more dialogue that was completely crossed out/dropped...

And as far as differences in the directions and the descriptions go, once again there aren't any of either in the script for this section so obviously there can't be any differences in them in the film. And there also aren't any notations in either Grayson's or DC's scripts.

[pointing-up]  And as far as "today's" quotes go, they are indeed today's, March 4th's, this time around.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: March 06, 2024, 08:18:16 PM »
Vontinuing to revisit how Scene 117 is scripted:

Picking up where we last left Scene 117, Carlotta continues her explanation with yesterday's quote -

Page 58/Scene 117 - Carlotta: 'What you've been seeing are actually memories of a previous life.'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

QUENTIN
                 How can you be so positive about
                 all of this?

And that's when the first part of today's quote -

Page 58/Scene 117 - Carlotta: 'Because I'm the living proof of it. That little girl was me -- I am the reincarnation of Sarah Castle. I was part of everything you are now remembering.'

Quentin is speechless.

And that's when the second part of today's quote -

Page 58/Scene 117 - Carlotta: 'We are rare people, you and I -- for not only have we lived before, but we are fortunate enough to remember.'

- comes up.

And as far as any differences in the dialogue go, aside from switching things up by actually saying "I am the living proof of it. I am the reincarnation of Sarah Castle. That little girl was me. I was part of everything you're now remembering", Carlotta's other dialogue, except for turning some words into contractions, breaking apart contractions, and dropping a preposition here and there, is basically delivered as scripted - but Quentin's line is completely dropped in the film and crossed out in both Grayson's and DC's scripts. And speaking of their scripts, the word "Because" is also crossed out at the beginning of today's first quote and it's replaced with "Yes...", but that's also dropped in the film.

And as far as any differences in the directions and the descriptions go, Quentin is definitely speechless in this section of the scene, particularly because so much of his dialogue was dropped.  [wink2]

And as far the notations in DC's script go, even though one indicates that from the point that Carlotta mentions that Sarah lived at Collinwood over 150 years ago, the camera has been tightening on Quentin, that doesn't actually begin until after Carlotta mentions that what he's been seeing are actually memories of a previous life - and while the tightening of the camera is supposed to reach the point of being an extreme close-up of Quentin, as can be seen in the following capture -

- things never get that close - and while the camera is supposed to remain extremely tight on Quentin as Carlotta mentions what rare people they are, as today's capture clearly shows -

- the camera actually switches back to a tight close-up of Carlotta for those lines.

And as far as notations about Carlotta's actions and performance go, DC's script indicates that Carlotta is supposed to be holding her locket as she explains that she's Sarah's reincarnation, but if that is happening, we don't actually see it in the film because the camera is so close on Carlotta - and for that same section of dialogue, Grayson has a notation that reads "Don't lose eye contact", which she certainly doesn't - but Grayson has another notation that says "Get book from somewhere", which she doesn't do (though what would have been the importance of the book will be revealed in a notation we'll deal with next time...).

[pointing-up]  As far as "yesterday's quote" goes, it was March 5th's this time around, and "today's" quotes are indeed today's, March 6th's, this time around.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: March 07, 2024, 04:24:10 PM »
Revisiting the subtitles/closed captioning (with a new screen capture) for Scene 117:

In Scene 117, when Carlotta reveals to Quentin, "I am the reincarnation of Sarah Castle. That little girl was me. I was part of everything you're now remembering," the subtitles acknowledge that perfectly - however, for some odd reason, the closed captioning changes "reincarnation" to -

- and "incarnation" and reincarnation" are not interchangeable, so what's done in the closed captioning is actually very odd...

(ADMIN: Edited to replace TV video screen capture)

And something else that I didn't notice until this time around (another instance of there's possibly still something new to catch) is that after Carlotta says that she and Quentin are rare people, she goes on the say, "Not only have we lived before, but we are fortunate enough to remember." - however, both the subtitles and the closed captioning have -

- for some reason, though you'll note that "we are" is the way the line is scripted.

[nods]

(ADMIN: Edited to add a new observation.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: March 07, 2024, 11:30:00 PM »
Concluding the revisit to how Scene 117 is scripted:

Wrapping up Scene 117, beginning with today's first quote -

Page 58/Scene 117 - Quentin: 'But I didn't remember anything 'til I came here. Why is it happening now?'

coming up, followed by today's second quote -

Page 58/Scene 117 - Carlotta: 'Because she loves us, Mr. Collins. She always has -- she always will. I still remember that last day --'

- coming up.

End of scene - but certainly not the end of the sequence...

And as far as any differences in the dialogue go, we have no way of knowing if there might have been any differences in Quentin's scripted dialogue because it was dropped in the film as well as crossed out in both DC's and Grayson's scripts. However, DC's script has the words "But" and "this", as in "But why is this happening now?", substituted in the last part of Quentin's lines, so apparently it wasn't always the intent that it would be dropped. And what Carlotta actually says is "Angelique loves us. She always has and she always will. I'll always remember that last day --", and "Because she" is crossed out in both DC's and Grayson's scripts with "Angelique" substituted for it in both, and "Mr. Collins" is also crossed out in both.

And as far as any differences in the directions and the descriptions go, once again there aren't any of either in the script for this section so obviously there can't be any differences in them in the film. However, when it comes to notations, both DC's and Grayson's scripts have notes that Carlotta would open her locket as she mentions about remembering the last day, but while Carlotta does clutch the locket, she doesn't actually open it in the film - and Grayson's script also has a notation that further references the book that was brought up as part of yesterday's notes and indicates that Carlotta would open the book and take out a lock of hair, but quite obviously that doesn't actually happen either.

And before I wrap up this post, I do have to say that I absolutely love the expressions on Carlotta's and Quentin's faces as the scene draws to a close. Carlotta is radiant -

- as she tells Quentin that Angelique loves them, whereas, with so much hard to accept information being thrown at him, Quentin looks like -

- his entire world is being shaken to its foundation - and the final shot of the two of them, as can be seen in today's second capture -

- is nothing if not a study in contrasts...

[pointing-up]  And as far as "today's" quotes go, they are indeed today's, March 7th's, this time around.

[nods]