Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 107186 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #1485 on: January 13, 2024, 10:56:12 PM »
 [pointing-up]  Two follow up posts to the previous revisited one:

I'll bet that horse didn't take direction well.

Look at that face:

How could he not take direction well - or at least a lot better than the supposedly vicious dogs did?!  [ghost_grin]

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: January 14, 2024, 05:52:36 PM »
Continuing with how Scene 106A is scripted in DC'd script:

Continuing Scene 106A with yesterday's quote -

Page 47/Scene 106A - Tracy: 'The Mill...is it on the property?'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

106A   CONTD                                         CONTD       106A

And that's when the first part of today's quote -

Page 47A/Scene 106A - Gerard: 'Oh, yeah...the Mill. It's over by that ravine down near the river road.'

- comes up, followed by the script explaining:

Tracy nods, gets on her horse and starts out.

And that's when the second part of today's quote -

Page 47A/Scene 106A - Gerard: 'I wouldn't bother going over there if I were you.'

- comes up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, there's nothing to comment about with comparison to the film because none of this sequence appears in any version of the film. But it's very interesting that in this new version of Tracy and Gerard's discussion about the Mill he's done a 180 and not only acknowledges there is a Mill, but he knows exactly where it is.

[pointing-up]  As far as "yesterday's quote" goes, it was indeed yesterday's, January 13th's, this time around. And so far as "today's quote" goes, it's today's, January 14th's, this time around.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: January 15, 2024, 03:16:02 PM »
And yet another post worth revisiting regarding Scenes 105, 106 & 106A:

And this time the latest four graphics -

(No need to share the second because the image and the logo simply switch sides.)

- have all been made using various portions of this still -

(Click here for a 700X900 version)

- which I also bought on the same day in 1996 that I bought the still I've shared in Reply #330. But unlike how I had no idea that that still even existed, I did know that this one did because it had been shared in the NoDS Pressbook -

- as well as on the cover and inside the NoDS Editor's Portfolio (though I don't own that) -

- and a somewhat cropped version on page 141 of the 30 Anniversary Tribute version of the DS Almanac.

And obviously I didn't realize when the post was originally made that there's simply a circle cut out in the cover of the NoDS Editor's Portfolio and any still that's a part of the it can show through that circle.

And of course you may recall that the still is #38 in the portfolio.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: January 16, 2024, 12:22:44 AM »
Concluding how Scene 106A is scripted in DC's script:

Wrapping up Scene 106A and moving beyond, first by picking up the script from where we left off:

Tracy looks back.

And that's when today's first quote -

Page 47A/Scene 106A - Tracy: 'Why not?'

- comes up, followed by today's second quote -

Page 47A/Scene 106A - Gerard: 'You won't see very much...it burned down -- over one hundred years ago.'

- coming up, followed by the scene concluding in DC's script with:

She looks at him then rides out.

However, it was DC's intent that Tracy not listen to Gerard and to ride out to the location of the former mill because at the top of page 48 in his script he's handwritten:

106A  EXT - RAVINE - BURNED MILL
        As Tracy rides in and looks
         it over

And chances are the reason it's also indicted to be Scene 106A is most probably because DC added it to his script before Scene 106 was split into two scenes with the rewrite being Scene 106A.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, there's nothing to comment about with comparison to the film because none of this sequence appears in any version of the film. What is a shame, though, even though ultimately we were never going to see it, is that they dropped how Tracy was going to be unable to bear Gerard's presence any longer...

And supposedly the reason why Scenes 105 through the second 106A don't appear in the film is because DC was quite unhappy with the performances of the two dogs playing Brutus and Tar. According to Richard Shore, who was the Director of Photography on the film, the dogs looked "absolutely savage" and "everybody was terrified of them" - however, when it came time to shoot them terrorizing Tracy, "the dogs turned out to be extremely friendly and would not growl or bark menacingly." And Shore goes on to say that "It took forever for the trainer to goad them into looking mean." But apparently DC still wasn't satisfied with the result and decided to cut the entire sequence. And that's quite unfortunate because the 106A scenes definitely show that Tracy has good reason to be worried about Quentin because at least half of what he told her earlier in Scene 104 was a delusion, not to mention it clued in the audience to the fact that Charles' personality was somehow encroaching in on Quentin's personality.

An interesting aside is that the dog trainer was given an extras role in the film. And IF I'm remembering things correctly, I believe it was as one of the men who was involved in the hanging of Angelique. It's funny how he made it into the released film in a significant way but his dogs didn't. (However, they do appear more significantly in the 129 minute version of the film in Scene 48 -

- and they're talked about in Scene 50.)

And tomorrow we will begin a new sequence that is actually in the film - however, it's also the only sequence from this month's slideshow that actually does appear in the film...

[pointing-up]  As far as "today's" quotes go, they are indeed today's, January 15th's, this time around.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: January 16, 2024, 05:58:30 AM »
Revisiting how Scene 107 is scripted:

A scene that appears in the script before the one that contains tomorrow's quote:

107    EXT - GROUNDS - COLLINWOOD - DAY - WIDE ANGLE     107

It is a beautiful sunny afternoon.  Alex is riding
       a bicycle TOWARD CAMERA.  There are a number of
       books in the front basket.  In the B.G. the ram-
       bling greenhouse can be seen.

ALEX - TRUCKING SHOT

CAMERA TRUCKS IN FRONT OF ALEX HOLDING HIM IN
       CLOSE-UP.  Suddenly he catches something out of
       the corner of his eye, O.S.  He stops.

End of scene - but just the beginning of the next sequence...

And so far as any differences in the dialogue go, well, there obviously aren't any differences because there isn't any dialogue.

And so far as any differences in the directions and descriptions go, the greenhouse isn't actually seen in the background as Alex rides his bicycle - and Alex is never actually seen in close-up, only medium or wide shots such as these:

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: January 16, 2024, 03:42:12 PM »
Oops. Backtracking briefly to Scenes 105, 106 & 106A, I forgot to mention that Darren Gross posted on his Restoration Web site:

The following is a list of scenes that are still lost and which are not present in the 129 min version recovered in 1999.

EXT.STABLE. Tracy enters stable while Gerard watches from scaffold. INT.STABLE. Dogs attack Tracy. Gerard molests Tracy. INT.HORSE PART OF STABLE. Tracy leaves on horse.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: January 16, 2024, 11:18:04 PM »
Revisiting how Scene 108 and the beginning of Scene 109 are scripted:

Moving through the next two scenes in the sequence:

108    THE GREENHOUSE - WIDE ANGLE - ALEX' P.O.V.        108

The greenhouse is at least a thousand yards away.
       However, there is unmistakenly a girl in a long
       period dress strolling leisurely toward its
       entrance.  She is too far away to identify.  She
       moves so smoothly, it almost looks like she is
       floating.

ALEX - CLOSE-UP

as he calls to her.

Page 48/Scene 108 - Alex: 'Hey! You!'

- comes up, followed by the script continuing with:

THE FIGURE - ALEX' P.O.V.

as it disappears into the structure.

109    ALEX FROM INSIDE THE GREENHOUSE                   109

as he peddles his bike TOWARD CAMERA.  He dismounts
       at the door and looks inside.

And that's when today's second quote -

Page 48/Scene 109 - Alex: 'Hello!'

He gets no answer so he crosses in, coming to
       CAMERA and a LOW ANGLE CLOSE-UP.  He looks around
       -- sees no one.

And that's when today's third quote -

Page 48/Scene 109 - Alex: 'Is anybody here?'

When he still gets no answer, he finally turns and
       starts toward the door, as the wind, which had been
       nothing but a gentle breeze, suddenly increases in
       volume.  Then there is the SOUND OF SPLINTERING
       WOOD directly above his head.  He looks up.

109    CONTD                                     CONTD   109

THE ROOF - ALEX' P.O.V.

An entire section of the glass roof suddenly gives
       way and comes crashing down.

ALEX - HIGH ANGLE

as falling backward, he is just able to avoid
       disaster.

And so far as any differences in the dialogue go, in Scene 108 Alex actually calls out an unscripted "Hello there!" as the figure disappears into the greenhouse - and in Scene 109 as he is seen from inside the greenhouse as he peddles his bike, Alex calls out another "Hello there!" rather than the simply scripted "Hello!" - and Alex calling out "Is anybody here?" after he looks around inside the greenhouse is dropped in the film.

And so far as any differences in the directions and descriptions go, as can be seen in the following capture -

- Scene 109 actually begins with a wide high angle long shot of Alex peddling his bike toward the greenhouse before he's seen shot from inside the greenhouse -

- as can be seen in today's second capture in the slideshow - and when Alex enters the greenhouse to look around, he isn't seen in a low angle close-up but rather a normal medium shot as well as a wide angle long shot, as can be seen in the following two captures -

- and it isn't until the point where he might have asked if anybody is there, as can be seen in today's Cut/trimmed sequence graphic -

- that Alex is seen in close-up, though it's not shot from a low angle - and we don't see Alex shot from a high angle and he actually runs from -

- rather than falls backward to escape the falling glass of the roof.

[pointing-up]  As far as "today's" quotes go, they are indeed today's, January 16th's, this time around.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: January 17, 2024, 03:54:00 PM »
Two stills related to Scenes 107 & 108 that are worth revisiting:

And before we get back to the script, I want to share the following candid production still that I made reference to back when we were dealing with Scene 69(the picnic). It's of David Selby, Kate Jackson and John Karlen taking a break from shooting the scenes at the greenhouse:

And one of the interesting things about what Karlen is doing is that he had never ridden a bicycle before he did so for the scenes for NoDS, so he practiced a lot before shooting so he wouldn't look ridiculous. Of course, if the film had been shot today, they could have just put training wheels on the bike and then taken them out in post.  [ghost_wink]  But that sort of technology wasn't available back in 1971.  [ghost_nowink]

That still appears on page 211 of the DS Memories.

... DS Almanac Millennium Edition ... - and page 154 of the same book features a still of Alex at the greenhouse -

- riding his bicycle - and I'm actually surprised (it) scanned as well as (it) did because (it) is only about 2 inches by 1 3/8 inches on the page...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: January 17, 2024, 07:36:08 PM »
Two versions of another still related to Scene 108 that's worth revisiting:

Before we move on to tomorrow's quote I'd like to share a still of Angelique outside the greenhouse. But first here's something I posted last time around -

...I have to say that one of my favorite candid stills of Parker as Angelique is the one that appears on the back of the VHS box:

And that box may be the only place it's ever been published. Or if there has been another place, I don't honestly remember where...

- however, I've since come across the actual still -

(Click here for a 700X476 version)

- which is much better quality...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: January 17, 2024, 11:50:26 PM »
Revisiting the subtitles and closed captioning (with a new screen capture) for Scene 108:

When it comes to Scene 108, after Alex spots a figure walking toward the Greenhouse and he calls out, "Hey, you!", he follows that up by calling out an unscripted, "Hello there!", and both the subtitles -

- and the closed captioning -

- acknowledge that.

(ADMIN: Edited to replace a TV video screen capture)

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: January 18, 2024, 03:54:00 PM »
Revisiting the subtitles and closed captioning (with new screen captures) for the first part of Scene 109:

When it comes to Scene 109, rather than the scripted "Hello!", Alex calls out another "Hello there!" as he approches the Greenhouse, and both the subtitles -

- and the closed captioning -

- reflect that.

And interestingly the closed captioning acknowledges the sound the portion of the glass ceiling that's about to fall makes before it does so -

- yet the subtitles don't.

(ADMIN: Edited to replace TV video screen captures)

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: January 18, 2024, 07:50:02 PM »
Revisiting how the rest of Scene 109 and Scene 110 are scripted:

Continuing with Scene 109 and moving beyond to wrap up the sequence:

ALEX - CLOSE-UP

as he gets to his feet, brushing himself off, he
       knows he was a lucky man.  In the B.G., Tracy has
       seen it happen and now rides her horse toward him,
       dismounting by the door.

And that's when the first part of yesterday's first quote -

Page 49/Scene 109 - Tracy: 'Alex! Are you all right?'

- comes up, followed by the script indicating:

He nods and crosses to her.

And that's when the second part of yesterday's first quote -

Page 49/Scene 109 - Tracy: 'What happened?'

- comes up, followed by yesterday's second quote -

Page 49/Scene 109 - Alex: (taking a beat) 'I was exploring and I guess I shouldn't have been. The whole place fell down.'

CUT TO:

110    EXT - GREENHOUSE - DAY                            110

as Alex wheels his bike.  They walk toward her
       horse.

Page 49/Scene 110 - Alex: 'What's new, Trace?'

- comes up, followed by the script explaining:

She hesitates, then decides to tell him.

And that's when today's second quote -

Page 49/Scene 110 - Tracy: 'Something...very strange happened last night and I'm worried about it.'

He looks at her as she begins to tell him

And so far as any differences in the dialogue go, in Scene 109 Tracy's "Alex! Are you all right?" is actually delivered off camera - and to that Alex responds with an unscripted "Stay out of here, honey" - and Scene 110 actually begins with Tracy asking "What happened" - and to that Alex actually responds with an unscripted "What happened?" before he actually adds "I was exploring. I guess I shouldn't have been. Then the whole place fell down" - and after Alex asks her what's new, Tracy actually replies with "Something sort of funny happened last night, Alex. I'm a little worried about it" - to which Alex responds with an unscripted "Come on, tell me about it" - and Tracy begins an unscripted explanation with "Well, I don't know exactly. I woke up late and I looked for Quentin. He wasn't there. So I, I went to the tower room..."

And so far as any differences in the directions and descriptions go, we don't actually get a close-up of Alex after he gets to the ground so much as we get -

- a low angle shot of him on the ground - and we don't actually see Tracy riding her horse in the background because there's a full on shot of Tracy riding across the field toward the greenhouse -

- and after dismounting running toward the direction of the greenhouse -

- and apparently Ulysses is one smart horse because even though Tracy left him just past the field when she ran toward the greenhouse, he knew enough to follow her to the entrance to the greenhouse where he's waiting -

- when Tracy and Alex come out - so, as can be seen in today's first capture, Tracy, Alex and Ulysses don't actually have to go far -

- to retrieve Alex' bike, as opposed to the script having Alex wheel his bike as they walk toward the horse  - and it isn't so much that Alex simply looks at Tracy because Tracy takes Ulysses reins and pulls him behind her as she and Alex walk away from the greenhouse as she -

- begins to explain what happened with Quentin.

[pointing-up]  As far as "yesterday's" quotes go, they was indeed yesterday's, January 17th's, this time around. And so far as "today's" quotes go, they are today's, January 18th's, this time around.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: January 19, 2024, 01:10:00 AM »
Revisiting two stills related to Scene 109:

Today I'm going to share four stills that are related in various degrees to Scene 109:

Here's the first -

(Click here for a 700X466 version)

- a version of which (that shows more on the left and less on the right) has been shared as November's photo in the Fest's 1999 Movie Calendar - and here's the second -

- which I don't believe has been officially published anywhere...

However, you may recall that the second one is #23 in the NoDS Editor's Portfolio.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: January 19, 2024, 03:38:04 PM »
Two more stills worth revisiting and related to Scene 109:

Here's an alternate print of the second one above -

(Click here for a 700X844 version)

- quite possibly printed because the other barely showed Tracy - and here's the last -

(Click here for a 1333X1000 version)

- which as far as I'm aware has only been shared as part of the Fest's 2012 NY Weekend Program.

And the "second one above" refers to the second one in Reply #1499.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: January 20, 2024, 12:32:34 AM »
Concluding revisiting the subtitles/closed captioning (with a new screen capture) for Scene 109:

And after Tracy arrives on the scene after the ceiling glass has come crashing down, she calls out to Alex to ask if he's all right, and she begins to enter the Greenhouse, Alex warns her with an unscripted "Stay out of here, honey," though the "honey" part isn't included in either the subtitles -

- or the closed captioning -

(ADMIN: Edited to replace TV video screen captures)

[nods]