Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 105156 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #360 on: January 28, 2022, 02:40:39 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's first quote -

Page 51/Scene 111 - Alex: 'Quentin, what were you doing in the tower at two in the morning?'

- and/or today's second quote -

Page 51/Scene 111 - Quentin: 'Working.'

- check out -

Picking up Scene 111 after Alex states his belief that the night before Quentin was Charles, Gerard was Gabriel, and they were fighting over Angelique:

- this post to also learn about how this section of the scene may have been shot...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 30, 2022, 03:10:53 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of yesterday's quote -

Page 51/Scene 111 - Alex: 'Quentin, you're going to laugh at this. I think you're drawn to that room. I think you're being taken over by Angelique.'

- and/or today's quote -

Page 51/Scene 111 - Quentin: 'You're right. I'm laughing.'

- check out -

Continuing with Scene 111, first with yesterday's quote -

- this post to also learn how DC may have shot this part of the scene...

Though wouldn't Quentin be being taken over by Charles? Presumably it's Quentin's memories of his life as Charles that are influencing him. But who knows what Sam and DC intended...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 31, 2022, 05:00:51 PM »
Today I decided to share a candid still from behind the scenes of the shooting of Scene 111:

(Click here for a 868X600 version)

This still is shared on page 100 of the DS Companion.

And thanks to that '04 post by ProfStokes I was recently reminded again that Scene 111 doesn't just take place on the railroad bridge, as the script indicates, but features -

..., Quentin and Alex walking and talking about the recent bizarre events, ...

- though I have no memory of that. It's funny that some of the recovered footage is burned into my memory (like the seance sequence), whereas I have really little memory of some of the other stuff...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 31, 2022, 10:16:07 PM »
Also, even though they have no relationship to Scene 111, here are two candid stills taken on the railroad bridge of Lara Parker as Angelique:

(Click here for a 700X1050 version)

(Click here for a 700X1486 version)

Though it certainly seems as if there are very few spots on the Lyndhurst estate where she didn't take stills.  [snow_wink]

The second still above was shared on page 23 of the movies soundtrack's booklet...

(ADMIN: Edited to replace the second still with a better quality scan)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 01, 2022, 04:08:30 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of yesterday's quote -

Page 52/Scene 111 - Alex: 'Well don't. Look. The same year Angelique died, Laura drowned and Charles disappeared. The drowning was recorded as an accident. But suppose Charles killed Laura?'

- and/or today's quote -

Page 52/Scene 111 - Alex: 'Quentin, I think Tracy's in danger.'

- check out -

Picking up Scene 111 after Quentin says he's laughing at Alex' theory about the possibility of him being taken over by Angelique:

- this post to also learn how DC may have shot this part of the scene - though as we were reminded in Reply #362, Quentin and Alex are walking and talking during Scene 111, so who remembers if they're even still on the railroad bridge...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 02, 2022, 04:02:05 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 52/Scene 111 - Quentin: 'Are you trying to tell me I could drown Tracy? I'm not going to listen to anymore of this. I am in complete control of myself. Have you mentioned any of this to Tracy?'

- check out -

After Alex warns Quentin that he thinks Tracy is in danger, Scene 111 continues with today's quote -

- this post to learn how the quote may have been shot and to continue a bit beyond it...

"I am in complete control of myself." Talk about being in denial. But then, even though they're dead on true, who would believe the things Alex is theorizing?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 03, 2022, 04:08:07 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 52/Scene 111 - Quentin: 'All right. I'll make a deal with you. You keep your crazy theories to yourself and I'll think about it.'

- check out -

Wrapping up Scene 111, beginning with today's quote -

- this post to also learn how parts of the quote are changed in DC's script as well as the change to Alex' reply...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 03, 2022, 10:42:24 PM »
Before moving on to Scene 112, be sure to read -

It's interesting how Grayson's script's version of Scene 111 is at times very similar to DC's script's version but also different. And in certain instances I actually like bits of the dialogue in the original better than the rewrite. But I'm sure they had their reasons. For one thing, the sections about Tracy being in danger are more heavy handed in the original and, to me, telegraph too much of what's to come, so it was good that those aspects were softened.

So, without further ado, the original version of Scene 111:

- for the reasons stated in the link.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 04, 2022, 03:54:42 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's first quote -

Page 53/Scene 112 - Alex: 'You're right. I'm worried about him. He is changing.'

- and/or today's second quote -

Page 53/Scene 112 - Tracy: 'But why?'

- check out -

And now Scene 112 in its entirety:

- this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 04, 2022, 09:52:59 PM »
Given that obviously I don't have any stills to share/discuss with regard to Scene 112, I've decided to provide the answer to this:

And I still haven't forgotten about this -

I haven't forgotten about this:

... I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that there are continuity errors in Scene 85 that I never noticed until I watched it this time around. ...
So, has anyone else noticed the continuity errors? The screw up is a really big problem when it comes to a subsequent scene...
Once you learn what the problem is, you're going to feel foolish that you didn't notice what's wrong with Scene 85. I certainly do. And it would be one thing if it was simply something in Scene 85 and had no bearing on anything else, but as I said, it's a really big problem when it comes to a subsequent scene...

I'm sharing screen captures from both the Blu-Ray and the VHS. See if you can discern the answer without me having to provide an explanation because the answer is going to be staring you in the face:

And from upcoming Scene 124:

(ADMIN: Edited to replace VHS captures with Laser captures)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 05, 2022, 03:20:58 PM »
See if you can discern the answer

A word of advise for those viewing the screen caps on a phone: you may want to enlarge the caps to see things more closely. When I checked the post this morning I noticed that details may not be as visible on a phone as they are for those of us viewing them on a PC monitor. On a phone, if you know what to look for, you'll definitely see it (or not see it, as the case may be) - but if you don't know what to look for, you may not...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 05, 2022, 04:08:08 PM »
I got somewhat distracted by Angelique's big hair but she seems to be missing her pendant in the first few captures. Oops!
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 05, 2022, 05:08:59 PM »
 [pointing-up]  YES!! You've hit on it!!  [thumb]  Or at least a big part of it...

In the opening of Scene 85, Angelique isn't wearing anything around her neck:

Hence why I shared as clues stills taken in the tower in which she was also missing any sort of necklace:

And the last of the stills to preview Scene 85, two more Angelique publicity stills that were taken in the tower room:

(Click here for a 1481X1000 version)

Though...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 05, 2022, 05:08:59 PM »
...mysteriously the heart pendant shows up halfway through the scene:

Hence why I referred back to this:

And to further provide clues, I'm reposting this -

And fair warning to pay close attention to the publicity stills because they may come in handy because there may be a quiz down the line...  [hall2_wink]

But the more odd thing is that the pendant appears only to...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 05, 2022, 05:08:59 PM »
...then disappear at the end of the scene to be replaced by a simple chain necklace:

Hence why I shared as a clue the following still taken in the tower in which she was also simply wearing the chain necklace:

- and this particularly -

And another behind the scenes still featuring David Selby and Lara Parker to preview Scene 85:

(Click here for a 700X476 version)

- because it provides one of the biggest clues among the publicity stills...

It's all enough to make one wonder if parts of Scene 85 were shot on different days? If not, why all the continuity goofs regarding the pendant? (And I can't believe it took me so many decades to finally even notice. But as I've often said, no matter how many times one watches something, there can still be things to notice for the first time, even continuity goofs. And I guessing not many others have noticed it either because, not only has no one ever posted about it here, but no one has ever added it to the film's goofs on IMDb.)

And like I said, it would all be bad enough on its own, but it's a really big problem when it comes to Scene 124 when, in a hugely important plot point, Angelique gives the pendant to Sarah to "remember" her by...