Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 105584 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #330 on: January 09, 2022, 09:00:14 PM »
The latest four graphics -

- have all been made using various portions of this still -

(Click here for a 700X885 version)

- which to my memory has only been officially published on page 238 of the DS Movie Book - and an interesting thing is that whenever NoDS stills come up for sale on places like Heritage Auctions, it's very rarely ever included in the batches being auctioned off - I was lucky enough to buy my copy in 1996 at Jerry Ohlinger's Movie Materials Store in NYC.

Various portions of a more widely available still will be showing up in the slideshow soon - though you may not recognize it at first...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 10, 2022, 04:14:33 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 47/Scene 106 - Tracy (lowly): 'Don't you ever touch me again!'

- check out -

And concluding Scene 106 (in DC's script):

- this post to learn the how scene ends in DC's script, but it's not where Scene 106 ends in Grayson's script - to discover how things originally played out check out -

As you'll see as Scene 106A unfolds in the slideshow and the posts following this one, some of it is very much the same as Grayson's script's continuation of Scene 106 - but things will change radically before too long. But here's how things were originally supposed to play:

- this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 11, 2022, 01:44:45 AM »
Before we move on from graphics made using the still that I shared in Reply #330, I want to mention that after I posted it I noticed that the wound on the right side of Gerard's mouth is different from the way it looks in the still I'd posted in Reply #327:

For the color still the top of the wound -

- sticks straight up and away from the corner of Gerard's lip, whereas in the B&W still the top of wound -

- curves down onto the top of the corner of Gerard's lip. Perhaps this is because the stills weren't taken on the same day, or perhaps the makeup had to be reapplied for some reason and it wasn't done exactly the same. Sadly, we'll never know which way, if even either, it looked in the film...

And something I've never really thought about before is just how many days are supposed to pass between the time Quentin attacks Gerard and we see him again in Scene 190. Quite obviously a wound like that would not heal completely in just a few days. Though as the film currently stands, the passage of time for the wound to heal isn't even a consideration because the audience never sees the wound in the 94 minute version of the film, nor did we see it in the 97 minute version. And actually, it's not on view in the 129 minute version either because this sequence doesn't appear in any version of the film...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 11, 2022, 05:20:15 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 47/Scene 106A - Tracy: 'That isn't Dubloon, is it? The horse my husband rode this morning --'

- check out -

With the exception of one written addition to the descriptions and directions, DC's script's version of Scene 106A begins exactly like Grayson's script's continuation of Scene 106:

- this post to learn how this part of the scene might have been shot...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 12, 2022, 03:20:29 PM »
I still feel the same as I did back then:

And am I the only one who thinks it's a shame that none of the horses received a credit in the film? I mean, quite often when it comes to dogs in TV and films you see things like "And Trixie as Scruffy". So why no something like "Featuring Max as Ulysses and Fred as Dubloon"?!  [ghost_nowink]  [ghost_sad]  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 13, 2022, 01:20:45 AM »

Page 47/Scene 106A - Gerard: 'We don't have a Dubloon. He rode Ulysses, like he always does.'
(Cue the Twilight Zone music...)

- check out -

After today's quote -

- this post to learn about the changes in dialogue from Grayson's script and how this part of the scene might have been shot...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 13, 2022, 04:20:50 PM »

Page 47/Scene 106A - Tracy: 'The Mill...is it on the property?'

- check out -

Continuing Scene 106A with yesterday's quote -

- this post.

And even though the link refers to the quote as "yesterday's," while it was in 2016, it's today's quote this time around - and only read as far as it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 14, 2022, 05:12:29 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of the first part of today's quote -

Page 47A/Scene 106A - Gerard: 'Oh, yeah...the Mill. It's over by that ravine down near the river road.'

- and/or the second part of today's quote -

Page 47A/Scene 106A - Gerard: 'I wouldn't bother going over there if I were you.'

- check out -

Continuing Scene 106A ...

- this post for the major changes from Grayson's script's version of the scene...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 14, 2022, 09:30:11 PM »
And this time the latest four graphics -

(No need to share the second because the image and the logo simply switch sides.)

- have all been made using various portions of this still -

(Click here for a 700X900 version)

- which I also bought on the same day in 1996 that I bought the still I've shared in Reply #330. But unlike how I had no idea that that still even existed, I did know that this one did because it had been shared in the NoDS Pressbook -

- as well as on the cover and inside the NoDS Editor's Portfolio (though I don't own that) -

- and a somewhat cropped version on page 141 of the 30 Anniversary Tribute version of the DS Almanac.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 15, 2022, 06:18:02 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's first quote -

Page 47A/Scene 106A - Tracy: 'Why not?'

- and/or today's second quote -

Page 47A/Scene 106A - Gerard: 'You won't see very much...it burned down -- over one hundred years ago.'
(Cue the Twilight Zone music again...)

- check out -

Wrapping up Scene 106A and moving beyond, first by picking up the script from where we left off:

- this post - and also to learn why Scenes 105 through 106A aren't in any version of the film, as well as a bit of behind the scenes trivia...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 16, 2022, 04:10:15 AM »
Before we wave a fond farewell to Scenes 105 through 106A I'd like to reshare the following:

Today I thought I'd share a rare production still of DC directing Scene 106A:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 16, 2022, 05:00:06 AM »
Before moving on to tomorrow's quote, you'll want to check out -

A scene that appears in the script before the one that contains tomorrow's quote:

- this post to read about Scene 107 and to see screen captures from it that show differences between the script and the film...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 16, 2022, 05:08:06 PM »
Before we move on to today's quotes I'd like to reshare something else - it has bearing on Scene 107 as well as today's Scene 108 and especially Scene 109:

And before we get back to the script, I want to share the following candid production still that I made reference to back when we were dealing with Scene 69(the picnic). It's of David Selby, Kate Jackson and John Karlen taking a break from shooting the scenes at the greenhouse:

And one of the interesting things about what Karlen is doing is that he had never ridden a bicycle before he did so for the scenes for NoDS, so he practiced a lot before shooting so he wouldn't look ridiculous. Of course, if the film had been shot today, they could have just put training wheels on the bike and then taken them out in post.  [ghost_wink]  But that sort of technology wasn't available back in 1971.  [ghost_nowink]

That still appears on page 211 of the DS Memories.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 16, 2022, 06:34:08 PM »
Two things I forgot:

Page 155 of the DS Almanac Millennium Edition features a still of Gerard at the stable -

- leading out Tracy's horse - and page 154 of the same book features a still of Alex at the greenhouse -

- riding his bicycle - and I'm actually surprised they scanned as well as they did because each one is only about 2 inches by 1 3/8 inches on the page...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 16, 2022, 08:54:38 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's first quote -

Page 48/Scene 108 - Alex: 'Hey! You!'

- and/or today's second quote -

Page 48/Scene 109 - Alex: 'Hello!'

- and/or today's third quote -

Page 48/Scene 109 - Alex: 'Is anybody here?'

- check out -

Moving through the next two scenes in the sequence:

- this post to learn the differences between the script and the film...