Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 107508 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #1425 on: December 13, 2023, 02:44:02 PM »
Continuing to revisit how Scene 88 is scripted:

And continuing with more of Scene 88, starting off with today's quote -

Page 38/Scene 88 - Tracy: 'Something you can't be without?'

- coming up in response to Quentin asking what his surprise is, followed by the script continuing with:

He draws out a riding habit.

QUENTIN
               You've got to be kidding.

Alex ROARS with laughter.

TRACY
               Gregory said I can return it.

Quentin starts to laugh and gets up crossing to
       Tracy.

And when it comes to what is different in the dialogue, what Tracy actually says is "Well, it's something that you can't be without", and until it comes to the second syllable of the word "something", it's delivered off screen - and in the film it isn't Quentin who says "You've got to be kidding" but Alex, who actually says "You gotta be kidding" after he bursts out laughing - and in a bit more of unscripted dialogue, Claire replies with "Why, I think he'll look marvelous in them" (and I love the look she gives -

- Alex after she says it, as well as her dismissive hand gesture) - and then Tracy actually says "Gregory said I could take them back if..." before she gets cut off by Quentin, but more on that tomorrow...

And when it comes to what is different with the descriptions and directions, Quentin doesn't take out a full riding habit but simply a pair of riding breeches, and he stands after he does so - and he has a big smile on his face as he moves toward Tracy -

- as she says she can take them back, which means that he doesn't laugh nor get up after she's said it - and in the middle of Tracy saying she can take them back there's a notation in DC's script indicating that there was supposed to be a 2 shot of Alex and Claire, but obviously it's not in the film if it was shot.

And poor Gregory: he gets mentioned twice in this scene, yet as the film stands, no one in the audience has the vaguest idea who he is because his scene was never shot...

[pointing-up]  As far as "today's quote" goes, it was December 9th this time around.

And more of Scene 88, picking up with today's quote -

Page 38/Scene 88 - Quentin: 'No...NO... [He kisses Tracy lightly] I'll get around to wearing it sooner or later --'

- coming up.

And so far as what's different in the dialogue, Quentin cuts Tracy off by actually saying "Promise you I'll wear 'em" (the riding breeches, not the full riding habit, as scripted) - and then after he kisses her, he adds "Someday" - and in another bit of unscripted dialogue, Tracy repeats "Someday" with a laugh.

And so far as what's different with the descriptions and directions, there's nothing to get into here.

[pointing-up]  And as far as that post goes, obviously "today's quote" was December 10th this time around.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: December 13, 2023, 10:54:14 PM »
Returning to the subtitles and closed captioning for Scene 88, after Quentin asks what the wrapped package Carlotta gives him is and Tracy says it's his surprise and something he can't be without, Quentin opens it and pulls out a pair of riding breechers, which causes Alex to erupt into unscripted and off screen laughter, which is acknowledged by both the subtitles and the closed captioning -

- after which it's actually Alex who has the "You've got to be kidding," the line scripted for Quentin, though he delivers it off svreen as "You gotta be kidding" - but the subtitles have -

- with "You've" rather than the simple "You" - and the closed captioning has -

- also with "You've" rather than "You," but of course with "got to" rather than "gotta" because apparently they always insust on being grammatically correct - and that's followed in both the subtitles and the closed captioning by Claire delivering an unscripted -

More to come...

[nods]

(ADMIN: Reply #866 has been edited to replace TV video screen captures)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: December 14, 2023, 12:42:42 AM »
Continuing with the subtitles and the closed captioning, Quentin then makes his way over to Tracy as she says, "Gregory said I could take them back if..." - and the subtitles get that correctly - but the closed captioning has -

- without the "if" - and she gets cut off by Quentin when he says, "Promise you I'll wear 'em" - but the closed captioning has -

- with both an "I" preceding it and the full "them" instead of "'em" - and the subtitles have -

- it also with both an "I" preceding it and the full "them" instead of "'em" - and they also have how Quentin adds, "Someday" rather than the scripted "Sooner or later" - and after that they also have how Tracy repeats with an unscripted "Someday" - though they doesn't acknowledge the laugh she gives afterward - and the closed captioning also acknowledges Tracy's "Someday" -

- and also doesn't acknowledge her laugh.

More to come...

[nods]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: December 14, 2023, 12:51:14 AM »
MB, I took another look at that portion of the script and I am completely stumped on the first word. But whatever Carlotta is doing or saying, she is doing it with great tolerance.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: December 14, 2023, 06:36:06 PM »
 [pointing-up]  Hey, you did your best and that's all anyone can ask.  [santa_smiley]  Plus, some of Grayson's writing is the hardest writing to decipher that I've ever seen. If she wrote handwritten letters to people, I shudder to think how long it took the recipients to fully read/understand them!  [santa_wink] [santa_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: December 14, 2023, 09:42:42 PM »
A post to revisit regarding the subtitles and closed captioning for Scene 88:

More with Scene 88.

After the subject of Quentin's "surprise" gift of riding breeches is dealt with, Quentin mentions to Carlotta that he's found some of Charles Collins' old paintings in the tower room (and the interesting thing is that in the script this is the first time Quentin and Carlotta have shared a scene since he found them, but in the film as it stands the scene in Sarah's room after Quentin has seen Sarah screaming in the window takes place in between) and Quentin asks Carlotta, "Do you know anything about his history?", and the subtitles reflect that, but for some reason the closed captioning drops the "do" -

- and after Carlotta replies that she does and that he was a "marvelous man" and "a brilliant artist," Alex remarks, "Oh, you almost sound like you know him, Carlotta," and the subtitles also reflects that, but the closed captioning has -

- and to that Carlotta reacts with a sly smile and an unscripted titter, which the closed captioning acknowledges -

- but the subtitles ignores.

And from there things briefly go back as scripted, but more issues are to come...

(ADMIN: Edited to replace TV video screen captures)

More to come...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: December 14, 2023, 11:36:40 PM »
So lets revisit how the above is actually scripted:

And yet more of Scene 88, picking up with today's first quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Quentin: 'Oh, Carlotta, Charles Collins --'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

She turns and looks at him.

And that's where today's second quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Carlotta: 'Yes, sir?'

- comes up, followed by today's third quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Quentin: 'I found some of his work in the tower room.'

-coming up, followed by today's fourth quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Carlotta: 'Oh?'

- coming up - followed by today's fifth quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Quentin: 'Do you know anything about his history?'

- coming up.

And as for what's different in the dialogue, rather than the first quote, Quentin actually and simply says "Carlotta" - and Carlotta actually and simply responds "Yes" - after which Quentin actually says "I found some old painting of Charles Collins in the tower room" - to which Carlotta does indeed respond with "Oh?", like it's a surprise to her (but we know she was just waiting for that to happen) - and then Quentin does indeed ask about Charles' history as written.

And when it comes to what is different with the descriptions and directions, there's nothing to get into so far as what's scripted, but I do have to say that as often as I've watched the film, I'd never really noticed until I was picking the captures for today that after Quentin puts the riding breeches down on the dining table, just like the typical wife, Tracy picks them up and neatly folds them into her lap so that they don't get wrinkled. I suppose in all the other viewing I was too focused on Quentin and Carlotta's exchange.  [ghost_wink]

And oddly again DC's script has a notation for a 2 shot of Alex and Claire (after Carlotta turns to look at Quentin) that isn't in the film.

[pointing-up]  As far as "today's quote" goes, it was December 11th this time around.

And continuing with more of Scene 88, picking up with Carlotta's answer as today's quote:

Page 39/Scene 88 - Carlotta: 'He was a marvelous man, a brilliant artist.'

And so far as what's different in the dialogue in the film, Carlotta actually says "Yes, I do. He was a marvelous man, a brilliant artist."

And so far as what's different with the descriptions and directions, there's nothing to get into because there aren't any descriptions or directions in this portion of the script. However, DC has a notation for this line in his script that says it would be shot over Carlotta's shoulder and showing Alex, Quentin and Tracy. But being shot over her shoulder is obviously not the way it was done because in the film Carlotta is seen in close-up, which is much more effective. There really isn't a true over the shoulder shot in the entire scene.

[pointing-up]  As far as "today's quote" goes, it was December 12th this time around. And the underlining of "marvelous" in Carlotta's  line is what I was referring to in a precious post as coming up in the scene and which isn't given any special treatment in the closed captioning or subtitles.  [santa_undecided]

The interesting thing about the notation in DC's script about doing a shot of Alex, Quentin and Tracy over Carlotta's shoulder is that after Carlotta says Charles was marvelous and brilliant, the next shot in Scene 88 is one of those three, though as can be seen in this capture -

- it isn't shot over Carlotta's shoulder. And as soon as Alex begins to deliver today's quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Alex: 'You sound as if you know him.'

- (though he actually says "You almost sound like you know him, Carlotta" in the film), the camera pans to show Carlotta, as can be seen in -

- today's capture.

[pointing-up]  And as far as "today's quote" and "today's capture" go, it was December 13th this time around.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: December 15, 2023, 03:12:24 PM »
A few posts worth revisiting that are related to the above post:

Today's shot might be my favorite image of Grayson in the movie.  I used a version of the shot in a collage I did of Grayson in various roles a few years ago.

Yes, I love the shot too.

Thank heavens DC changed his mind and didn't shoot those moments from over Carlotta's shoulder!!

And Carlotta has her cat that copped the cream look.

As if she's thinking, "oh if you only knew... you poor fool!"

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: December 15, 2023, 07:20:32 PM »
And another post to revisit regarding the subtitles and closed captioning for Scene 88:

And even more with Scene 88.

First up:

After Carlotta asks if they'll be having brandy in the Gallery, Quentin defers with a possibly improvised "Alex?", which the closed captioning reflects -

- but for some odd reason the subtitles has -

- and Alex replies to Quentin with "Uh, not me, pal. I'm up with the sun these days," which is a reworking of what's scripted, and for the most part the subtitles has most of it -

- but the closed captioning only has -

- and that's followed by an unscripted exchange between Quentin and Alex with Quentin asking, "Sure?" and Alex replying, "Positive," which both the subtitles and the closed captioning acknowledge -

And there's yet more to come...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: December 16, 2023, 01:08:12 AM »
Revisiting how Scene 88 wraps as scripted:

And picking up Scene 88 with today's first quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Carlotta: 'I've read a lot about him, Mr. Jenkins. Will you be having brandy in the gallery?'

- coming up in response to Alex's remark about her knowledge of Charles Collins, and followed by today's second quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Alex: 'Never. We're up with the sun these days.'

coming up, followed in the script by:

The girls rise, start out.  Carlotta starts to
       clear the table as Quentin and Alex start down the
       hall.

End of scene - though not quite the end of the sequence...

And when it comes to what is different in the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, Carlotta drops the "I've read a lot about him, Mr. Jenkins" in favor of a sly smile, as can be seen in the following capture -

- and that smile actually says volumes more than any dialogue could possibly (especially if one already knows the subtext) - and in the script it could seem as if Carlotta is asking Alex if he will be having brandy, but in the film it's clear that Carlotta asks the question of Quentin because she turns to him - and as Tracy takes a sip of her wine, in another bit of unscripted dialogue, Quentin asks "Alex?", after which Alex delivers a version of today's second quote by actually replying "Uh, not me, pal. I'm up with the sun these days", in the middle of which Tracy laughs as she puts down her wine glass - and that's followed by an unscripted exchange of Quentin asking "Sure?", Alex replying "Positive" and then asking Claire "Ready, baby?", to which Claire replies "Hmm, ready", and Alex repeats "Ready" - and after Tracy takes the riding breeches from her lap and throws her napkin on the table as Claire comes to her side, the two women leave the room with unintelligible conversation between them, while behind them, after having a couple more sips of wine before getting up, Alex raises his glass as if in a toast and delivers another unscripted "A little more wine", to which Quentin mouths "A little more wine" under his breath as he walks to Alex - and after getting up Alex slaps his right hand on Quentin's back as they leave the room and Carlotta does indeed start to clear the table.

Also, Grayson has notations in her script about how Carlotta is "Always in control" and simply the word "Locket" - and in her script something like the later always seems to refer to Grayson's intention that Carlotta be seen foundling the locket while she's also doing something else - but in this case Carlotta doesn't actually touch the locket at all, or at least not in the take that was used as she reacts to Alex's remark about her almost sounding like she knows Charles Collins. And Grayson also has "I've read a lot about him, Mr. Jenkins" crossed out in her script.

[pointing-up]  As far as "today's quote" goes, it was December 14th this time around.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: December 16, 2023, 02:46:00 PM »
Posts related to the above post that are worth revisiting:

Carlotta's evil smiles... my role model... wonderful capture!

[pointing-up]  It's definitely one of Carlotta's best moments! Though you don't realize it is until after the first viewing of the film...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: December 16, 2023, 08:22:02 PM »
And the last posts to revisit regarding the subtitles and closed captioning for Scene 88:

And yet more with Scene 88.

First up:

After it's decided not to have brandy, in a possibly improvised bit Alex asks Claire, "Ready, baby?", she replies, "Ready," and he repeats, "Ready," all of which is acknowledged in the subtitles -

- and the closed captioning -

- and after that, once they've gotten up and joined each other, Claire and Tracy possibly improvise some indecipherable chatter -

And there's even yet more to come as you may have gathered by the preview of part of it in the above clip...

Wrapping up Scene 88 ...

First up:

After having a couple more sips of wine before getting up, Alex raises his glass as if in a toast and delivers another unscripted "A little more wine", to which Quentin mouths "A little more wine" under his breath as he walks to Alex and Alex' line is acknowledged in the subtitles -

- but not in the closed captioning - and Quentin mouthing the words can be seen in the video in Reply #869 - and that concludes Scene 88.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: December 17, 2023, 12:26:46 AM »
Revisiting how Scene 89 is scripted:

Setting up Scene 89:

89     INT - CORRIDOR - NIGHT                           89

About half-way down, Quentin stops Alex, obviously
       not wanting the girls to hear him.  The girls
       continue on.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 39/Scene 89 - Quentin: 'Listen, I've had more of those crazy daydreams.'

- comes up.

And so far as anything being different with the dialogue, what Quentin actually says is "I'm having more of those crazy daydreams."

And so far as anything being different with the descriptions and directions, Quentin and Alex get barely past the dining room doorway when Quentin actually stops Alex - and we don't actually see Tracy and Claire continue down the corridor.

[pointing-up]  As far as "today's quote" goes, it was December 15th this time around.

Wrapping up Scene 89, beginning with Alex's response to Quentin bringing up his "daydreams":

ALEX
               Want to talk about them?

89     CONTD                                   CONTD    89

QUENTIN

as he looks in the direction of Tracy.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 40/Scene 89 - Quentin: 'Not now. Why don't you come over tomorrow.'

- comes up.

End of scene and sequence.

And so far as anything being different with the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, Alex slaps Quentin on the back before he asks if Quentin wants to talk about his "daydreams" - and after Quentin presumably looks in the direction of Tracy (we don't see her), he turns to Alex, the "Not now" is dropped, and what Quentin actually asks him is "Can you come over tomorrow?" - and then, in yet more unscripted dialogue, Alex answers "Sure", and after Quentin smiles, Alex says "Okay" and slaps Quentin on the back again before the two start down the corridor.

[pointing-up]  As far as "today's quote" in that post goes, it's today's quote this time around.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: December 17, 2023, 02:54:10 PM »
Revisitng the subtitles and closed captioning for Scene 89:

... dealing with Scene 89.

And when it comes to Scene 89, as they're exiting the Dining Room, Quentin stops Alex and says, "I'm having more of those crazy daydreams," which the subtitles gets exactly, but the closed captioning has -

- and Alex replies with, "Wanna talk about it?" but the subtitles and the closed captioning each has their our variation of that -

- and to that Quentin asks, "Can you come over tomorrow?", which is reflected correctly in both the subtitles and the closed captioning - and at first Alex replies with an unscripted "Sure," which is acknowledged in both the subtitles and the closed captioning -

- and for some strange reason the closed captioning has Quentin responding with -

- which he doesn't say - but what does happen is Alex replies a second time and adds an unscripted "Okay," which both the subtitles and the closed captioning acknowledges -

And that's the end of what we need to deal with when it comes to Scene 89.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: December 17, 2023, 06:04:10 PM »
Revisiting how the several scenes comprising much of the next sequence are scripted:

The next quote in the slideshow will be from Scene 97, so there are a lot of scenes to deal with before we get there:

90     INT - MASTER BEDROOM - NIGHT                     90

Tracy and Quentin are asleep in the B.G.  Through
       the window, the Tower Room is visible.  As we watch,
       a faint glow begins to appear.  Quentin begins to
       stir.  Finally, he opens his eyes and looks up at
       the tower.  Then getting out of bed, he puts on his
       robe and EXITS the room.

91     INT - SECOND FLOOR - CORRIDOR                    91

as Quentin comes TOWARD CAMERA and goes up the
       stairs toward the third floor.

92     INT - TOWER ROOM - NIGHT                         92

The room glows with a strange iridescent light.
       Slowly, the door begins to open by itself revealing
       Quentin coming up the stairs,  As he ENTERS the
       room he stops at the doorway - a look of great
       anticipation on his face.  TRUCK IN ON HIS CLOSE-UP.

ANGELIQUE - QUENTIN'S P.O.V.

A strangely opalescent Angelique lies there holding
       her arms out to him.  HOLD ON THIS as he goes to
       her ghostly embrace.

93     INT - FOYER - NIGHT

The foyer is dark as the door opens and an angry
       Gerard quietly ENTERS.  He carries a vicious-
       looking club.

94     INT - FIRST FLOOR CORRIDOR - NIGHT               94

CAMERA TRUCKS IN FRONT OF HIM as he comes toward
       the stairs.

95     INT - TOWER ROOM STAIRS - NIGHT                  95

as Gerard moving noiselessly slowly climbs to the
       closed door.  He pauses to listen.  The SOFT
       SOUNDS OF LOVEMAKING can be heard.  TRUCK IN ON HIS
       FACE.  It is now insane with jealous rage.  Now

95     CONTD                                     CONTD  95

there is the SOUND OF ANGELIQUE'S LAUGHTER and
       finally he explodes.  Throwing the door open, he
       sees Angelique and Quentin locked in a passionate
       embrace.

96     INT - TOWER ROOM - NIGHT - HAND-HELD             96

In one cat-like move Gerard attacks.  He and Quentin
       are on the floor with Gerard about to beat his
       brains out.  All of a sudden he SHRIEKS IN PAIN
       as the ghostly figure of Angelique claws him again
       and again.  Blood shows on his face as he drops his
       club and tries to protect himself,  In an instant
       Quentin is all over him and there is no doubt about
       his intentions.  He is trying to kill him.

Throughout the fight INTERCUT QUICK SHOTS of Gabriel
       in the place of Gerard,  These will look like all
       the other memory cuts and will always be from
       Quentin's P.O.V. so that it looks like he thinks
       he is fighting Gabriel.

97     INT - TOWER STAIRWAY                             97

as the two of them come crashing down the stairs
       INTO CAMERA, Quentin ends up on top, choking the
       life out of Gerard.

QUENTIN
                 She's mine, brother!...She's mine!

And as for what's different when it comes to the dialogue, Quentin's line as he chokes Gerard is dropped in the film. However, it was a part of the original Movies Quotes Slideshow:

NoDS: Scene #97 - Quentin (to Gerard): 'She's mine brother!
...She's mine!'

And as for what's different in the descriptions and directions, at the outset of Scene 90, we do not see Tracy and Quentin asleep in the background because the scene begins immediately with a shot of the Tower Room visible through the window, and it isn't until after we see the glow appear in the Tower Room windows that we see Quentin and Tracy asleep - and almost immediately upon seeing them we see Quentin open his eyes, but he doesn't look at the Tower Room immediately because he simply stares into space for several beats before he begins to sit up in bed and then turn toward the direction of the window - and we do not see Quentin actually get out of bed, or put on his robe, or exit the room. And when it comes to Scene 91, a dressed Quentin is seen walking away from the camera before he turns to begin to go up a set of stairs - and then we see his P.O.V. as he makes his way -

- through a corridor. And when it comes to Scene 92, at first we actually see the unfinished portrait of Angelique and the empty couch as both -

- are bathed in the glow of candles before the camera pans over to show the door to the Tower Room open, and before we see Quentin, we actually see his shadow as -

- he gets closer and closer to the open door - and Quentin does not stop at the doorway or have a look of great anticipation on his face, nor is there a close-up on his face because he simply enters the room and moves toward Angelique -

- whose ghost has suddenly appeared on the couch. And when it comes to Scene 93, DC's script actually crosses out the establishment of the scene taking place in the foyer and draws an arrow up from Scene 94 to indicate that both the events of Scenes 93 & 94 take place in the first floor corridor - also we don't actually see Gerard's face come through the doors on the first floor corridor -

- only his legs - it isn't until he reaches the stairs -

- that we see his face. And we actually see more of Quentin and Angelique -

- making out before Scene 95 comes up and we see Gerard making his way up the Tower Room stairs - and while we once again see Quentin and Angelique making out, we do not hear the sounds of lovemaking as Gerard pauses to listen or the sound of Angelique laughing as Gerard finally explodes - though we also don't see Gerard throw open the door or see Quentin and Angelique locked in a passionate embrace. What actually takes place is that at the outset of Scene 96 we see Quentin and Angelique making out when suddenly Quentin pulls away from Angelique to turn -

- and look behind him to see the irate Gerard -

- brandishing the club - but when Gerard attacks him, Quentin doesn't fall onto the floor, he falls backward onto the couch -

- and he already sees -

- Gerard as Gabriel - and we see Angelique rush to scratch both the faces of Gabriel -

- and Gerard -

- but we don't hear Gerard shriek in pain - and after Gerard has become disoriented by Angelique's attack is when Quentin gets up from the couch and begins to fight Gerard, often seeing him as Gabriel. And when it comes to Scene 97, after Gerard tumbles down the tower stairway, Quentin violently kicks him down even further, and Gerard desperately tries to get away only to be tackled by Quentin, it is Gabriel -

- that Quentin continues to see as he chokes Gerard.

[nods]