Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 107518 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #1260 on: September 30, 2023, 12:04:16 AM »
Revisiting how the first half of Scene 59 is scripted:

59     INT - JENKINS'S COTTAGE - DAY

Alex, Claire and Quentin are having a drink.

And that's when yesterday's quote -

Page 22/Scene 59 - Alex: 'Imagine! Running down the Master of Collinwood.'

comes up, followed by today's quote -

Page 22/Scene 59 - Quentin: 'On his first day, too...before he's even put out the rules of the manor.'

coming up.

And as far as differences in the dialogue go, because Scene 58 was completely reworked in the film, Scene 59 begins differently. For one, those two quoted lines were completely dropped. For two, two lines from a bit later in the scene become the first two lines delivered. And for three, the dropped lines are then replaced by two completely new lines. But I'm not going to get into any of that just yet because the actual first line of the scene in the film is tomorrow's quote in the slideshow...

And so far as any differences in the descriptions and directions go, as can be seen in the following capture -

- in the film there's actually an exterior scene establishing the Jenkins' cottage before Scene 59 begins - and when Scene 59 begins, before anyone says anything, Alex, Quentin and Claire are seen having a good laugh, as can be seen -

- in the above capture.

And while there are no differences at this point between the ways Scene 59 appears in DC's and Grayson Hall's scripts, DC's script does have two notations at the outset of the scene. He writes that a typewriter, etc. should be there in the cottage (and as can be seen in the following capture -

- there is indeed one located under the painting and on a desk behind where Quentin is sitting), and then he mentions something that will come into play later in the rewoked section of Scene 59, so I'll hold off mentioning it until then...

Continuing with Scene 59 as scripted:

Quentin is looking at a painting over the mantel.
       It is one he gave them for a wedding present.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 22/Scene 59 - Quentin: 'I see you still have that.'

comes up.

And as far as what's different with that bit of dialogue, Quentin actually says "I see you've still got that crazy eye of mine" - and as mentioned yesterday, it's actually the first line of dialogue in the scene.

And so far as any differences in the descriptions and directions go, as can be seen in today's capture -

- (as well as several others that have been posted recently), the painting is not over the mantel but is actually on the wall behind Quentin so, in actuality, as can be seen in the following capture -

- Quentin has to turn around to look at it before he can comment about it to Alex.

And it's an interesting bit of trivia that Quentin gave them the painting as a wedding present. Too bad that's not actually brought in any of the dialogue.

And continuing with more of Scene 59 as scripted we have today's quote -

Page 22/Scene 59 - Alex: 'A place of honor, old buddy -- wherever we go -- so how's life in the castle? Have you seen Miss Drake smile yet?'

- however, it doesn't play at all like that in the film.

So, as far as the differences with that bit of dialogue go, at first Alex actually says "Yes sir, buddy -- wherever we go, that goes" - to which Quentin replies with an unscripted "Oh" - and then the first scripted line of dialogue for the scene is reworked for Claire when she says "Imagine finding the Master of Collinwood roaming around a cemetery" - and then Quentin's dropped dialogue is reworked when he says "Hey, Alex - they've got tombstones in that place that are over 300 years old" - and it's not until after that that Alex actually asks "Tell me, how's life at the old castle? Uh - have you seen Miss Drake smile yet?" - to which Quentin replies with an unscripted "Once."

And considering there aren't any descriptions or directions in Alex' quote, nothing could possibly be different from the script with regard to descriptions and directions. However, as can be seen in the following capture -

- Claire puts her hand on Quentin's knee when she remarks about finding him in the cemetery - but then, considering it's an unscripted remark, that action couldn't have been scripted, now could it?  [snow_wink]

And catching up with more of Scene 59 we have Sunday's quote -

Page 22/Scene 59 - Claire: 'She had no reason to smile at you, Alex. (turning to Quentin) The first time he meets her he asks if the place is haunted.'

- followed by yesterday's first quote -

Page 22/Scene 59 - Quentin (smiling): 'Is it?'

- followed by yesterday's second quote -

Page 22/Scene 59 - Claire: 'Not according to her.'

- followed by the first part of today's quote -

Pages 22/Scene 59 - Alex: (having fun with it) 'We'll go to the Blue Whale Bar some night. There's a Cap'n Russel that will tell you a (MORE)'

59     CONTD                                               CONTD       59

- followed by the second part of today's quote -

Pages 23/Scene 59 - Alex (Contd): 'different story. Seems there's a beautiful young servant girl who roams the halls of Collinwood.'

And as far as the differences with the dialogue go, Claire gives an unscripted laugh before she tells Alex that Carlotta had no reason to smile at him - and when it comes to today's quote, Alex actually says "Yeah, well, one these nights, uh, we're gonna to go to the Blue Whale and I'm gonna introduce you to a Captain Russel who'll tell you a different story. Seems there's a young beautiful servant girl who roams the halls of Collinwood."

And considering that once again there aren't any descriptions or directions, nothing could possibly be different from the script with regard to descriptions and directions.

But before we close this post, two points about what's said. Quentin is quite serious when he asks if Collinwood is haunted. And, of course, the audience knows why that is even if Alex and Claire don't. And more interestingly, is it that the young beautiful servant girl seen roaming Collinwood is Sarah Castle? It seems unlikely anyone would refer to Angelique as a 'servant girl, beautiful or otherwise. So, if it is Sarah, in what capacity is she seen?[spoiler]One would presume it can't be Sarah's ghost because she has been reincarnated as Carlotta. And while Quentin will soon have a memory of seeing Sarah in the window of her 1810 bedroom when it was also Carlotta who was in the window at the same time, Quentin, as the reincarnation of Charles, was also a part of the events that Sarah lived through. But presumably the people who might have seen Sarah at Collinwood would have no such connection to Sarah or Carlotta, so how would they come to see Sarah?[/spoiler]Some interesting points to ponder...

Picking up Scene 59 where we left off ... with ... Quentin's reply to Alex' remark about Collinwood supposedly being haunted by "a young beautiful servant girl":

Page 23/Scene 59 - Quentin: 'If she cleans well, we'll hire her.'

And that's followed by the script continuing with:

CLAIRE
                 It's time for lunch.

She gets up and starts for the kitchen.

What do you want - ham or tuna-
                 fish?

ALEX
                 Both.

QUENTIN
                 The same.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 23/Scene 59 - Claire (kissing Quentin): 'Lovely having you here ... despite my welcome.'

- comes up, followed by the script explaining:

She EXITS into the kitchen.

And as far as the differences in the dialogue go, before bringing up lunch, Claire laughs at Quentin's remark about hiring the girl if she cleans well - and Claire's quoted line from today is dropped from the scene - and obviously it was dropped for the same reason that the beginning of Scene 59 was reworked: because Scene 58 was reworked - and in DC's version of the script, Claire's dropped line actually has a box drawn around it and a big X drawn in the box - however, DC's script does not replace it with what Claire actually does do and say before she leaves the room, and that's to sigh and say "Right" as if she should have known they'd want both.

And when it comes to the differences in the descriptions and directions, Claire just simply stands up before she asks if they want ham or tuna - and we might presume she's going to the kitchen when she exits, but we don't actually see her go there because she simply leaves the room.

And after tomorrow's quote comes up, we'll get into the section of Scene 59 that's different in DC's script from the way it's written in Grayson's script. But more on that tomorrow...

Well, it may have been "tomorrow" when it was gotten into originally, but it won't be until about October 4th before it's gotten into this time around...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: September 30, 2023, 06:40:12 PM »
When it comes to the subtitles and closed captioning for Scene 59, right from the outset they're both missing something because, unlike how both acknowledge Laura's laughter in Scene 56, neither acknowledges that Scene 59 actually begins with Alex, Quentin and Claire laughing -

- and after Quentin brings up the "crazy eye of mine" painting, neither the closed captioning nor the subtitles get Alex' response completely correct because what Alex actually says is "Yes sir, buddy -- wherever we go, that goes," but the closed captioning -

- doesn't even acknowledge the "Yes sir, buddy" part, and the subtitles -

- get that part wrong, which is yet another example that perhaps the person who did the subtitles needed to have their hearing checked - and in a bit of unscripted dialogue, Quentin responds with an ... "Oh." ... which neither the closed captioning nor the subtitles acknowledge...

[nods]

(ADMIN: Reply #809 has been edited to replace a TV video screen capture)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: October 01, 2023, 12:26:30 AM »
Despite the fact that today's quote in the slideshow goes from Alex talking about Quentin's painting to Alex asking if he's seen Carlotta smile, in the film those two subjects are actually separated by other dialogue - what comes up first is a reworking of what was actually scripted to be the first line of dialogue in the scene, with Claire musing, "Imagine finding the Master of Collinwood roaming around a cemetery." - and the subtitles get that correct, but the closed captioning has -

- with "the" instead of "a" - and with regard to that subject Quentin says an unscripted, "Hey, Alex - they've got tombstones in that place that are over 300 years old." - and when it comes to the subtitles they get it correct -

- however, the closed captioning has -

- with the "Hey, Alex" part dropped.

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: October 02, 2023, 12:04:16 AM »
When we left off with the subtitles and closed captioning for Scene 59, Quentin had just mentioned the over 300-year-old tombstones in the cemetery -

- and after that Alex asks, "Tell me, how's life at the old castle? Uh - have you seen Miss Drake smile yet?" - though for some reason the closed captioning drops the "Tell me" part -

- and instead of "have you seen Miss Drake smile yet?" the closed captioning reads -

- (but interestingly, the subtitles has everything correct) - and to Alex' question Quentin replies with an unscripted -

- which both the subtitles and the closed captioning get correctly...

[nods]

(ADMIN: Reply #810 has been edited to replace the TV video screen captures)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: October 02, 2023, 05:40:10 PM »
Revisiting a rare still related to the beginning of Scene 59 -

... I want to share this still that relates to how Scene 59 actually opens:

(Click here for a 700X514 version)

In fact, it looks practically exactly like how the scene opens -

... and when Scene 59 begins, before anyone says anything, Alex, Quentin and Claire are seen having a good laugh, as can be seen -

- in the above capture.

- except from a different angle...

- and one thing that makes it a bit rarer than most is that fact that it's so close to how the moment is depicted on screen because there are so many stills that are different from what's actually depicted on screen.

... I forgot to mention that I first saw the still of Alex, Quentin and Claire that I posted in Reply #145 when it appeared as part of the '95 NYC Fest Program (in its announcement of the 30th Anniversary Celebration in LA in '96). Though that version was a bit cropped - what I shared was the actual still, which I came across a few years later...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: October 04, 2023, 10:16:42 PM »
When we left off with the subtitles and closed captioning for Scene 59, Quentin had just said he saw Carlotta smile once - and to that Claire laughs - but once again it's a laugh that neither the subtitles nor the closed captioning acknowledges - and right after that Claire points out,  "She had no reason to smile at you, Alex. The first time he meets her, he asks if the place is haunted." - and the subtitles acknowledge that correctly - however, the closed captioning goes from -

- to -

- without including "The first time he meets her" and changing "asks" to "asked."

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: October 05, 2023, 02:50:28 PM »
Continuing with the subtitles and the closed captioning, after Quentin asks if Collinwood is haunted and Claire replies not according to Carlotta (apparently the woman lies well), first up Alex says,  "Yeah, well, one these nights, uh, we're gonna to go to the Blue Whale and I'm gonna introduce you to a Captain Russel who'll tell you a different story." - but the subtitles have -

- with the "Yeah, well" missing, "I'll" substituted for "I'm gonna," and simply "tell" rather than "tell you" - and the close captioning has -

- similarly with the "Yeah, well" missing - but with this -

- instead of "I'm gonna introduce you to a Captain Russel," and, of course, with "gonna" changed to "going to," and with "Russet" instead of "Russel" - and with this -

- instead of "who'll tell you a different story." - though at least that version does include "you" [hall2_wink] - and then Alex follows up with, "Seems there's a young beautiful servant girl who roams the halls of Collinwood." - and the subtitles actually do get that correct - however, the closed captioning has the first part as -

- though the closed captioning does get "who roams the halls of Collinwood" right.

More to come...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: October 06, 2023, 08:04:54 PM »
And continuing with more of the subtitles and the closed captioning, after Quentin remarks that if the supposed ghost of the servant girl cleans well, they'll hire her, Claire laughs - though while both get Quentin's remark correct, once again Claire's laugh is one that neither the subtitles nor the closed captioning acknowledges - and as she starts to get up she points out, "It's time for lunch," and then stops to ask, "Oh, what do you want, ham or tuna fish?" - and the subtitles get all that right - but the closed captioning deals with all of it as -

- and after both Alex and Quentin say they'll have both, Claire responds -

- with an unscripted sigh followed by "Right." as she leaves the room - however the subtitles simply have it as -

- whereas the closed captioning has -

- with "Oh" instead of a sigh.

More to come...

[nods]

(ADMIN: Reply #811 has been edited to replace the TV video screen captures)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: October 08, 2023, 12:10:00 AM »
Revisiting how the second half of Scene 59 is scripted:

And now the next section of Scene 59 as it appears in DC's script, starting off with today's quote:

Page 23/Scene 59 - Alex: 'My rich landlord who doesn't charge rent, how do you like the estate?'

And that's followed by the script continuing with:

Quentin looks at him.

QUENTIN
                 When did you and Claire get here?

ALEX
                 About two weeks ago.  I thought you'd
                 never get here.

Quentin looks a little concerned.

ALEX
                      (noticing it)
                 Hey -- what's the matter?
                 Is something wrong?

And that's it for now.

And when it comes to the differences in the descriptions and directions, Alex actually gets up from the chair across the room that he's been sitting in and moves to sit next to Quentin on the couch as he asks Quentin how life is in the old estate - and in response to Alex, Quentin simply gives a little nod and smile rather than just looking at him.

And getting back to a notation that I'd mentioned that DC made in his script but I was holding off on getting into, that was because the notation says that Alex should have a "line about him being here for 2 weeks", which is no doubt why that was added later in this reworked section that we've just gotten into. But who knows why DC felt it was needed because, unless I'm forgetting something down the road, I don't think it ever pays off in any way in the script/film...

And in my next post we'll see how this section was written in Grayson's script...

This section of Scene 59 as it appears in Grayson's script:

ALEX
                 So how do you feel, my rich
                 landlord who doesn't charge rent?

QUENTIN
                 I don't know.

Alex looks at him.

ALEX
                      (serious)
                 Why?  Is something wrong?

Then kidding again, he pulls down Quentin's eyelid,
       goes into his doctor bit.

And there you have it. And I've gone just a little bit further in the script than I did with DC's so that next time you can see how that last bit is written somewhat differently in DC's script...

Picking up where we left off in DC's script:

Quentin shakes his head trying to laugh it off.  Then Alex
       kiddingly pulls down Quentin's eyelid, goes into his doctor bit.

And that when today's quote -

Page 23/Scene 59 - Alex: 'Blood-shot eyes. Unsuitable pallor.'

- comes up.

And as far as the differences in the descriptions and directions go, Quentin doesn't shake his head trying to laugh it off or otherwise - and Alex doesn't kiddingly pull down Quentin's eyelid because he simply leans closer sounding a bit like a doctor, and about all he does to Quentin is partly, as can just barely be seen in today's capture -

- is touch Quentin's shoulder, and then he briefly touches Quentin's face when comments on its "pallor".

And the differences between DC's and Grayson's scripts have already been dealt with.

And wrapping up Scene 59:

59     CONTD (2)                             (2) CONTD   59

Page 24/Scene 59 - Quentin: 'I didn't sleep well last night. It's a funny thing about this place. I keep imagining things...'

comes up, followed in the script by:

ALEX
                 What do you mean imagining things?

QUENTIN
                      (hesitates for a moment)
                 Oh, it's nothing.  Forget it.

ALEX
                      (laughing)
                 No -- man.
                      (joking)
                 Maybe I can use it.  You know,
                 we're starting a new gothic ...

QUENTIN
                 Oh, yeah.  That reminds me ...
                 we've got a library over there
                 that's got to be loaded with
                 material.  Be my guest.

As Claire ENTERS with a tray of sandwiches.

End of scene.

And when it comes to the differences in the descriptions and directions, Quentin actually laughs after Alex comments on his bloodshot eyes and unsuitable pallor and before he delivers his version of today's quote - and though Quentin does indeed hesitate before he tells Alex to forget his comment about imaging things, he also smiles to further discourage Alex - and after Alex says he appreciates access to the library, he slaps Quentin on the arm - and as I already mentioned, Quentin clears room on the coffee table when Claire returns.

And when we get to the next scene, there are all sorts of notations in Grayson's script that we'll deal with next time...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: October 08, 2023, 03:16:00 AM »
Yet more unscripted bits and omissions/changes in the subtitles and closed captioning for Scene 59:

First up, after Alex asks Quentin how life is "in the old castle," the script says simply that -

Quentin looks at him.

- however, Quentin actually replies with an unscripted nod and a smile -

- and after Quentin asks Alex when he and Claire got there, Alex replies with, "About two weeks ago. Man, I thought you were never gonna show up." - but when it comes to the first part of that, both the subtitles and the closed captioning -

- drops "About" -

- and when it comes to the closed captioning, the "Man" part is dropped and the rest is presented as -

- after which Quentin gives another smile and nod -

- which the script describes as -

Quentin looks a little concerned.

More to come...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: October 08, 2023, 05:24:18 PM »
Continuing with the subtitles and closed captioning for Scene 59:

After Alex realizes something is off with Quentin, he asks what's wrong, and observes that Quentin has bloodshot eyes and an unsuitable pallor, and Quentin gives an unscripted giggle to that - however, neither the subtitles nor the closed captioning acknowledges the giggle - but Quentin then verbally replies with, "Well, doc, I didn't sleep well last night. It's a funny thing about this place. I keep imagining things." - and the subtitles get all that correct - but when it comes to the middle part the closed captioning has -

- and to that Alex asks, "Whaddaya mean, imagining things?" - but of course the closed captioning can't have grammar like that, and even the subtitles changed it to -

More to come...

[nods]

(ADMIN: Reply #813 has been edited to replace the TV video screen captures)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: October 09, 2023, 12:14:42 AM »
Continuing with the subtitles and closed captioning for Scene 59:

So, after Alex questions what Quentin means by "imagining things," Quentin tells him, "Nothing. Forget it." - and both the subtitles and closed captioning get that correct - but then Alex says, "Oh, man, maybe I can use it." - and the subtitles get that correct, but the closed captioning has -

- with the Oh, man" part dropped - and Alex follows that up with, "You know, Claire and I are starting a new Gothic novel." - and once again the subtitles get that correct - but the closed captioning has -

- with both "You know" and "new" dropped - and that reminder prompts Quentin to say, "That reminds me. I got a library over there that's got to be full of material." - but when it comes to that part, the subtitles have -

- with "over there" dropped - but the closed captioning simply has -

- but at least it does have "there."  [hall2_wink] [hall2_grin]

More to come...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: October 09, 2023, 05:34:44 PM »
Wrapping up the subtitles and closed captioning for Scene 59:

After Quentin tells Alex to be his guest with regards to Collinwood's library, Alex replies with an unscripted -

- which obviously both the subtitles and the closed captioning acknowledge correctly - and after Claire returns with a tray of sandwiches/drinks, and as Quentin makes room on a table, Claire responds with an unscripted "Hmm - thank you." - but both the subtitles and the closed captioning simply has as -

- with the "Hmm" missing.

[nods]

(ADMIN: Reply #814 has been edited to replace the TV video screen captures)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: October 09, 2023, 08:52:08 PM »
Revisiting how Scene 60 is scripted:

Setting up and wrapping the current scene as it appears in DC's script - but just beginning the current sequence, which doesn't play in the script the way it is in the film:

OFFICE
60     INT - FOYER - DAY                                 60

As Quentin ENTERS he sees Carlotta coming from the
       direction of the kitchen.

And that's when yesterday's quote -

Page 24/Scene 60 - Quentin: 'Oh, Carlotta, I'm going to start work today. Could you suggest a good room?'

- comes up, followed by today's quote -

Page 24/Scene 60 - Carlotta: 'Oh, yes, sir. I know just the place.'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

They start down the hall.

End of scene.

And when it comes to the differences in the descriptions and directions, as we can see above, DC crossed out FOYER as the setting for Scene 60 and decided it would take place in the office (Grayson's script still has it set in the foyer) - however, even though the setting was changed, DC's script, like Grayson's unchanged script, has the original directions, which are not at all how things play in the film because, as can be seen in the following capture -

- the scene begins with Carlotta doing work at the desk in the office, whereupon she in interrupted by a knock, and when she turns around to see who it is, as can be seen in yesterday's capture posted in the above post, it's Quentin. But from there things play out pretty much as scripted because the dialogue is similar, and after Carlotta tells Quentin she has a place in mind, she gets up, joins Quentin, and they head off down the hall.

And as for the notations in Grayson's script, some (like how she planned to have Carlotta carrying a fresh vase full of flowers for Angelique) no longer apply because of how the setting for the scene was changed, but things like how Quentin would soon be entering Carlotta's world and how he would be making one more step toward recognition do still apply.

And when it comes to the open folder on the desk -

- it almost looks like it could be Grayson's script. And it would be funny if they used it as a prop in Carlotta's work. But who knows?

And when it comes to the next scene in the sequence, the setting will again be changed in DC's script and things will be dropped. But more on that as that scene unfolds...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: October 10, 2023, 03:18:08 PM »
Dealing with the subtitles and closed captioning for Scene 60:

Carlotta is working at the desk in the office when a knock is heard - and for a change both the subtitles and the closed captioning acknowledge the sound -

- and after Carlotta turns to look she sees that it's Quentin and he says, "Carlotta. I wana start work today." - and the subtitles get that correctly - but the closed captioning has the second sentence as -

- of course changing "wanna" to "want to," and dropping "today" - and then Quentin asks, "Could you suggest a good room?" - and the subtitles also get that correct - but the closed captioning has -

- leaving out "good."

[nods]