Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 115959 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #1920 on: April 06, 2024, 11:24:06 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #980 (1970) - Julia - 'Oh Barnabas, there MUST be something we can do, some way of controlling your need for blood.'

From  "#0980/0981: Robservations 06/13/03: Farewell, Leviathans, Hello, 1970PT!"
Collinwood - Barnabas paces the drawing room. Julia returns, medical bag in hand. I came from the cottage where I examined a very weak Sabrina, reveals Julia. Barnabas apologizes. "Why did you do it?" demands Julia--you gave Quentin your word that you wouldn't go to her again. I stayed at the Old House and fought the urge to leave, says Barnabas--Sabrina came to me. And you couldn't help yourself, accuses Julia. Ashamed, defensive, Barnabas asks, do you think I do this by choice? No, she assures him, I am aware of that--I know what you're going through, and that the injections are responsible. Don't blame yourself, he urges.  Until the effects wear off, you're in danger of exposure, warns Julia--people in the town are worried about the attacks now. And you're afraid I'll kill Sabrina before the effects wear off, says Barnabas, I'm quite aware of that. There must be something we can do, says Julia desperately--some way to control your urge for blood.

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: April 07, 2024, 03:16:00 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #879 (1897) - Gregory - 'No, first we MUST put my plan into operation, then you will be able to get away.'

From  "Robservations 4/4/03 - #878-879 - Tim and Judith Plot Together"
Aristede describes how he saw Blackwood strangle Evan with the chain. Why would he would kill Evan? Asks Trask.  The man will kill anyone, everyone, insists Aristede--you must hide me! Put my plan into operation, orders Trask, then you will get away. He'll come after me! protests Aristede. Did he follow you? asks Trask, frightened. No, says Aristede. Then you're safe for the moment, says Trask. No, says Aristede, never, he always knows where I am--he's a monster from hell!  That is often said, but seldom true, says Trask I'll hide you where you'll be safe until you are needed. They exit the drawing room.

The Robservations paraphrases the quote and it addresses the circumstances under which it's delivered...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: April 08, 2024, 12:18:02 AM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #697 (1969) - Barnabas - 'Somewhere in this house. Somewhere, there MUST be a room I haven't searched.'

From  "Robservations 10/21/02 - #696/697 - Quentin Claims David"

Once again a Robservations doesn't summarize the teaser. It's a restaging of the ending scene of Ep #696. So, here's the summary of that scene:

From  "Robservations 10/21/02 - #696/697 - Quentin Claims David"
2 AM - Barnabas stands on the landing at Collinwood, perplexed--somewhere in the house must be a room I haven't searched, haven't found.

The Robservations does a bit of paraphrasing but comes quite close to the actual quote...

And the staging for both eps is similar, so there's really no reason to compare camera shots as we have in the past. However, interestingly some wording of the dialogue from Ep #696 is changed here and there in Ep #697's teaser. But we'll get into that in the future because some of it is directly related to other "must" quotes in both eps.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: April 08, 2024, 02:30:06 PM »
... The first example could possibly show up for the 7th, or perhaps the 10th, or perhaps not. ...

I'm afraid it's a perhaps not because it won't be on the 10th either because I just found a quote for that day that fulfills my new criteria...

Well, it may not have been the 7th or the 10, but it did turn out to be the 8th, today. As I'm sure you've noticed, the entry in the slideshow for today is from hoDS. And why is that? Well, you may have also noticed that the actual hoDS quote is partly preceded by "(-1968: Ep #659)". That means that a quote from 1968's "Vicki/Jeff-Cassandra/The Dream Curse-Adam/Eve/Nicholas" storyline would have been used if Ep #659 actually featured a "must" quote. But that's right, there are no "must" lines at all in Ep #659! Shocking, I know.  [easter_shocked] [easter_wink]  And why didn't I just pick a "must" quote from some other ep from that storyline? Well, that's because after Midnite sent me her final quotes for March, I decided that before I picked my quotes for April, I wanted to make a chart of all the eps we've picked quotes from over the past four years of the slideshow and what ones we haven't so that this time around I could only pick quotes from eps we haven't already featured "must" quotes from, and if I discovered that there actually aren't any in a given ep, rather than jump to a different ep, a "must" quote from a version of DS other than the original series would be featured in that must-less ep's place. So that means that this time around quotes from hoDS, NoDS, DS 1991, DS 2004 Pilot, and DS 2012 will be popping up whenever that situation exists. And today marks the first time it's happened.

However, there is one caveat to all that because I've exempted 4 original DS storylines from using alternate DS versions because at this point I have no idea just how many original DS eps don't feature "must" lines and I don't want to run out before this year's version of the slideshow ends. Those exempted storylines will feature "must" lines from other original storylines, just as we have been occasionally doing for a while now with 1967's "Blackmailing Liz-Intro to Barnabas-Kidnapping Maggie-Intro to Julia" storyline.

Of course, it might turn out that there aren't many non-"must" eps among the eps we haven't quoted from - but I've already selected all the quotes for April and I came across 6 eps already. Yes, also shocking, I know!  [easter_shocked] [easter_wink]  So given that, the way things are going to play out whenever I come across any eps without any "must" lines are as follows in the chart below:

ORIGINAL SERIES STORYLINE          |
| ALTERNATE DS OR ORIGINAL
===================================|
|===================================
Vicki's Arrival-Burke's Revenge    |
-Matthew Morgan                    |
-Introducing Josette               |

| hoDS, NoDS, DS 1991,
| DS 2004 Pilot, DS 2012
|

The Return of Laura                |
                                   |

| hoDS, NoDS, DS 1991,
| DS 2004 Pilot, DS 2012

Blackmailing Liz-Intro to Barnabas |
-Kidnapping Maggie-Intro to Julia  |

| 1841PT
|

1795/1796                          |
                                   |

| hoDS, NoDS, DS 1991,
| DS 2004 Pilot, DS 2012

Vicki/Jeff-Cassandra/The Dream     |
Curse-Adam/Eve/Nicholas            |

| hoDS, NoDS, DS 1991,
| DS 2004 Pilot, DS 2012

The Werewolf-Quentin's Ghost       |

| 1841PT

1897                               |
                                   |

| hoDS, NoDS, DS 1991,
| DS 2004 Pilot, DS 2012

Leviathans                         |
                                   |

| hoDS, NoDS, DS 1991,
| DS 2004 Pilot, DS 2012

1970 Parallel Time                 |

1995-Gerard and Daphne             |
-Summer of '70                     |

| hoDS, NoDS, DS 1991,
| DS 2004 Pilot, DS 2012

1840/1841                          |
                                   |

| hoDS, NoDS, DS 1991,
| DS 2004 Pilot, DS 2012

1841 Parallel Time                 |

Actually, I think it's going to be fun to change things up and see "must" quotes pop up from hods, NoDS, DS 1991, DS 2004 Pilot and DS 2012.  [easter_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: April 09, 2024, 01:38:31 AM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
hoDS: Scene #86 (-1968: Ep #659) - Carolyn - 'Mother, you MUST wear them.'

From DC's hoDS script:
       He crosses to a portrait on the other side of the room. 

BARNABAS
                       Naomi Collins, isn't it?

LIZ
                       Yes. The first Barnabas's mother.

From his pocket, he takes a small velvet box.

BARNABAS
                       I so hoped there would be someone
                       like you to wear this.

He hands it to Liz.

LIZ
                       Why, thank you.

CAROLYN
                       What is it, Mother?

She opens it, is astonished.

LIZ
                       Look at this. Isn't it beautiful?

She holds up the necklace.  It is the same one that Naomi
        wears in the portrait.

CAROLYN
                       I've never seen anything like it.

CONTINUED

Rev. 4/14                                                                    Rve. 4/14/70

86     CONTD

ROGER                            PAN TO
                   The missing jewels.  Naomi's necklace.      CU Rog
                   Barnabas, where did you find them.          SLOW PAN
                                                               PAST  JULIA
                             LIZ                                TO   CU
                   It's absolutely magnificent.                  PROFILE BARN

ROGER
                   Legend had it they were buried in
                   the revolutionary War and never
                   found again.

BARNABAS
                   Legend is so much more romantic than
                   reality.  Naomi gave them to my ancestor when
                   he left Collinwood.  They were his share of the
                   estate.

CAROLYN
                   Mother, you must wear them .

ROGER
                   I remember reading she gave him the
                   Old House too.

BARNABAS
                   I'm so looking forward to seeing it.
                   The first Barnabas wrote a fascinating
                   memoir about his life there.  I've always
                   dreamed of living in that house.

And the script references what Carolyn actually says in the film perfectly...

And another bit of business is that I used a screen capture from the VHS -

- so that it would be in keeping with the dimensions of the screen captures from the original show, but this is what the Blu-ray looks like -

And Ep #659 is our first one without any "must" lines - and it'll be several days before we see the second one.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: April 09, 2024, 03:22:12 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #460 (1796) - Barnabas - 'You MUST or I will go on destroying.'

From  "#0459/0460: Robservations 04/26/02: Finale"
Barnabas observes his father is trembling. He asks if Joshua has the gun and silver bullets, and when he nods, tells him to use it. Joshua can't, not here or now, but Barnabas says he must, or he'll go on destroying.

And once again a Robservations paraphrases the quote as it addresses the circumstances under which it's delivered...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: April 10, 2024, 03:20:14 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #361 (1967) - Julia - 'Wait. The caretaker, he MUST live somewhere nearby.'

From  "#0361/0362: Robservations 02/19/02: Barnabas Gaslights Julia"
After realizing she's been deserted by Sarah, Julia finds herself locked in the Collins mausoleum (although she could have probably crawled underneath that gate, it looks like enough space).

Another Robservations during the period where there's little detail. So, how the quote comes about is that after the mausoleum's gate slams shut and she can't open it, Julia says to herself that she can't be locked in, but then she realizes the quote. Julia cries out for help several times, but to no avail...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: April 11, 2024, 06:54:26 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #192 (1967) - Carolyn - 'And something MUST have happened to you there.'

From  "#0192/0193: Robservations 10/04/01: End of Flames; Portia Faces Sam"
In the hospital, Liz tells Carolyn she's beginning to remember, she knows she is. Carolyn says please, don't even try, the doctor says she must rest. Liz says she must remember what happened, or she can't rest. Carolyn reminds her that just before she got sick, she was at Aunt Laura's cottage, and something must have happened to you there, but please try to sleep--she'll be right here. I was asleep, and dreaming, says Liz, Dreaming about Laura at the cottage. You called to us, encourages Carolyn, and said you remembered. I woke up, continues Liz, I called, yes, I remembered about the choir, I got up out of bed, there was a storm someone in my room, I couldn't see who it was. Seeing her mother is getting upset, Carolyn tells her to rest, just a little while, then she'll help her remember. Liz promises to rest, but first she must remember---please help? All right, if you promise to stay very calm, says Carolyn, who then says she, Roger and Vicki heard Liz calling, saying she'd remembered what had happened; but by the time they got to her room... Liz remembers--she got up--there was something in the corner, she could see it, it was so dark, a shadow, a shrouded fog, she couldn't see who or what it was, at first she thought it Vicki, Carolyn or Uncle Roger. It was Aunt Laura, wasn't it? asks Carolyn. Not the Laura they think they know, says Liz, she can't describe her face, it was distorted with hate, eyes blazing, Laura in some other form, almost some other being, horrible, you can't imagine what she looked like.

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

On the other hand, Carolyn does not use the word "must" when she says the doctor says Liz has to rest, and Liz does not use the word "must" when she says she's got to remember. And "I remembered about the choir." What?! Liz actually says, "I remembered about the quarrel." Choir, quarrel - not exactly, or even slightly the same thing - sometimes I really begin to wonder about some of these Robservations. I like to think fingers played tricks when they were being typed up, which is something that can easily happen if one is distracted. But who knows...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: April 12, 2024, 05:32:00 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #126 (1966) - Vicki's Voice - 'No, Matthew, it's wrong, you MUSTN'T, please!'

From  "#0125/0126: Robservations 08/16/01: How to Kill Vicki?"
you won't feel a thing--I told ya it would be an easy death--did you ever see an animal led to the slaughter--they don't know what him 'em. I'm not an animal! Says Vicki, gazing up at him, I'm a human being--do you want to have my blood on your conscience for the rest of your life? The widows are out for blood tonight! insists Matthew. There are no such things as widows, says Vicki (yes there are, but not ghostly ones, I guess she means)--they don't exist! I didn't think so before, but now I do, he says--it's all around us--tellin' me I have to kill ya--and I gotta obey! You don't know what you're doing! cries Vicki as he leaves the secret room. Matthew, please! she begs. I gotta obey! he says. No, you don't! she wails. He goes to the stairs and grabs the banister. I've gotta obey! he repeats. No, Matthew, it's wrong, you mustn't, please, Matthew, please, Matthew, please! He leaves the house. Vicki begins to cry. Somebody, please help me! she begs, somebody, please!

And no doubt you've noticed that Vicki doesn't appear in the screen capture -

- only Matthew. And normally I wouldn't use a "must" line like that for the slideshow. However, that's the only "must" line in the ep. So, considering my criteria is to quote from eps we haven't quoted from and to only choose alternate quotes from other eps or other versions of DS if there aren't any "must" lines at all in an ep, I went with it anyway. And there will be slightly different situations coming up before long. But more on that when the first example comes up.

(And it's funny that the use of only Vicki's voice coincides with an entry for this same day using Josette's voice.

Ep #884 (1897) - Josette's Voice - 'Kitty Soames...it is
Kitty Soames you MUST forget.'

Though that one is a totally different situation because with it Josette is speaking through her portrait, which is onscreen while she speaks.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: April 13, 2024, 04:50:10 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
NoDS: Scene #80 (-1966: Ep #1) - Quentin - 'Yes, it MUST have been.'

From DC's NoDS script:
80     INT - SARAH'S ROOM                                          80

It is obviously a child's room.  Carlotta stands on
       the other side of the four poster bed.  She is
       straightening the stuffed animals that are propped
       there.

80     CONTD                                             CONTD     80

QUENTIN
                 I saw a little girl in that window.

CARLOTTA
                 Little girl?

Quentin crosses to the window and looks out.

QUENTIN
                 I was outside --

CARLOTTA
                 I know. I saw you from the window.

QUENTIN
                 But I didn't see you. I saw a
                 child...holding a teddy bear...

He looks around the room.

CARLOTTA
                 Yes, this is a little girl's room.
                 It was Mrs. Stoddard's when she
                 was a child. It must have been a
                 trick of light.

FLASH CUT - LITTLE GIRL IN THE WINDOW

as he remember's what he saw.

QUENTIN - CLOSE-UP

QUENTIN
                 Yes , it must have been.

Then not knowing what else to do

QUENTIN
                 Well  I'd better get to work.

He EXITS toward the tower as she stands there watching
       him go.

And the script references what Quentin actually says in the film perfectly. Other things are a bit different...

And similar to hoDS, I used a screen capture from the Laser Disc for NoDS -

- so that it would be in keeping with the dimensions of the screen captures from the original show, but this is what the Blu-ray looks like -

(It's interesting that even on the Laser Disc you can't see what's outside the window because it's washed out.)

And Ep #1 is our second one without any "must" lines - not a long wait at all for the next one.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: April 14, 2024, 07:30:12 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
DS 1991 Ep #1 (-1966: Ep #124) - Mrs. Johnson - 'All I can say is Barnabas Collins MUST be a wonderful man.'

From SHADOWS IN THE '90s: The Dark Shadows Concordance 1991 - PLOT SUMMARIES - MINISERIES PART ONE (EPISODE ONE):
KITCHEN: A dismayed Mrs. Johnson watches as the
Sheriff questions Willie: Where did he go after he dropped off
Miss Winters? Willie protests he went back to the stables and
got drunk. Patterson asks, why is he nervous? Where has he
been for the last three days? Willie claims he was 'working'.
Neither the Sheriff nor Roger believe him, but Victoria comes
to his defense. Patterson asks Willie where he was working.
Willie, by this time, has dissolved into tears, protesting he
"doesn't feel too good". Barnabas arrives and is introduced.
Barnabas confirms Willie's story - he heard in town that Willie
knew the property and was available for work. He apologizes
if he's caused any problem. Roger comments it would have
been nice if they'd been told. Willie apologizes to all: he knows
he hasn't been a good worker; he knew Roger was about to
fire him, and that's why he took this job. Roger warns Barnabas,
''You don't know what you're taking on." Barnabas, "I
somehow feel Willie wants to make a true start - don't you,
Willie?" Willie agrees. Mrs. Johnson is pleased by this turn of
events. Barnabas, warningly to Willie, ''We have much work to
do." Patterson agrees that Willie can go with Barnabas. As
they're leaving, Barnabas announces they're making splendid
progress. He's already moved in. He invites them all to visit.
He takes his leave. Mrs. Johnson admiringly, "Barnabas Collins
must be a wonderful man."

And the summary references quite well almost all of what Mrs. Johnson says...

Though I don't know why the summary says: Barnabas, "I somehow feel Willie wants to make a true start" when what Barnabas actually says is, "But I somehow feel that Willie truly wants to make a new start."

And similar to hoDS and NoDS, I used a screen capture that's the same dimensions as the ones from the original series. In this case one from the from the TGG Direct DVD release -

- because even though that release also doesn't have the correct color timing like the VHS release does -

- also like the VHS release, it has the correct aspect ratio, plus it even tends to show a bit more of the frame and it's clearer than the VHS.

I definitely wasn't going to go with the MGM DVD release. Even though, like the TGG Direct release it's clearer than the VHS, frustratingly, the aspect ratio is cropped from 4X3 to 16X9 -

And Ep #124 now joins Eps #1 and #659 as ones without any "must" lines - and another will show up very shortly.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: April 15, 2024, 03:14:02 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1204 (1841PT[-1967: Ep #198]) - Melanie - 'But after the funeral, you MUST set her free.'

From  "#1203/1204: Robservations 12/11/03: Naive Fiancee"
Parlor - Flora explains to Melanie--we didn't want to lock the girl up, but if we hadn't come in at just the right minute, Justin would have killer her--he wasn't being himself--we had to lock her up, or she'd have gone to the police--don't you understand?--they would have taken Justin from us--we didn't tell you about it because we knew how much you loved Justin.  You shouldn't have locked Stella up! cries Melanie.  What were we to do? asks Flora--we were so frightened--try to understand.  I do, says Melanie--but it's wrong.  We know that, Julia assures her.
But you just put the gag back in her mouth, locked her in there again! protests Melanie.  Do you want the police to be here tomorrow, the day of her father's burial? asks Julia.  They can do nothing to Papa now! says Melanie.  They can to Flora, and to me, Julia reminds her (busy ladies--burying the dead Trask, kidnapping Stella).  Yes, says Flora, we're guilty of holding her captive.  Her brother will never accept our actions, says Julia.  They shouldn't, says Flora, we both know that--and she begins to cry, upsetting Melanie, who puts an arm around her, assuring her, I do understand, except you knew you couldn't go on keeping Stella in the tower room.  We've tried to think of what to do, says Julia.  You must do something now, says Melanie--her brother was here yesterday, and I promised I would help--please do something now--let her go, ask her not to tell.  We will do something, vows Flora, after the funeral.  You will let her go? queries Julia.  Somehow, some way, says Flora--I don't know how, but we will--all I can think of now is poor Justin--she wipes her nose with a handkerchief.  I know, Mother, says Melanie, but after the funeral, you must set her free!  Flora looks at Julia, who regards her solemnly.

A correction, though, this scene does not take place in the upstairs parlor - it takes place in Melanie's bedroom. One might think the bed in the room may have been a huge clue, but, well...

And of course, we've seen notations like "(1841PT[-1967])" before and know it means that an 1841PT quote has been substituted for what should have been a 1967 quote. But this time around "(1841PT[-1967: Ep #198])" means all that plus that the quote should have come from 1967's Ep #198 but that ep doesn't have any "must" lines to quote from. So, with that in mind, it means that Ep #198 now joins Eps #1, #124 and #659 as ones without any "must" lines - and another will show up before too long.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: April 16, 2024, 03:22:12 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #370 (1795) - Jeremiah - 'She MUST be in the playroom.'

From  "#0370/0371: Robservations 02/25/02: Choking on Her Revenge"
Angelique, having swiped Barnabas' toy soldier, stands in the drawing room. She questions Jeremiah about the toy, which he, amused, identifies as "a member of the Regiment," one of his nephew, Barnabas', favorite toys as a child.

The Robservations is yet another with little detail. However, as the scene starts to lead up to the quote being delivered, Angelique is in the Old House's drawing room examining the toy soldier. She hears Jeremiah coming down the stairs in the foyer and hides the toy in the pocket of her dress. After Jeremiah enters the drawing room, he and Angelique exchange good afternoons, and then Jeremiah asks if she's seen Sarah? Angelique replies that she hasn't seen Sarah since "this morning," and that's when Jeremiah delivers the quote and then turns to begin to leave. But Angelique stops him, takes out the toy, and that's when she starts to question Jeremiah about it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: Yesterday at 08:18:04 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
DS 2004 Pilot (-1968: Ep #478) - Barnabas - 'You MUST be my cousin Elizabeth.'

From the DS 2004 Pilot script:
INT. GREAT HALL - COLLINWOOD - NIGHT

He enters, transfixed, STARING toward the wall over the great
fireplace. There, a magnificent portrait of

BARNABAS COLLINS,

the name etched on a gold nameplate dated 1788, hangs half-
lit by the flickering firelight.

ELIZABETH (0.S.)
          I don't believe it.

VAMPIRE
          My apologies for the hour, but I
          couldn't resist any longer.

The Vampire turns as Roger and Elizabeth comes down the
stairs, gaping at their visitor. He is, in fact, a DEAD
RINGER for the man in the portrait.

BARNABAS
              (taking Elizabeth's hand)
          I'm Barnabas Collins.

ELIZABETH
          Barnabas?  You even have his name?

BARNABAS
          A tragic lack of imagination on the
          part of my parents.
              (kissing her hand)
          You must be my cousin Elizabeth.

While Elizabeth is taken with Barnabas, Roger is suspicious.

BARNABAS (CONT'D)
              (to Roger)
          And you... are staring.

Dark Shadows - M. Verheiden - 1/19/04                 33.

ROGER
          Roger Collins.  You're in from...?

BARNABAS
          England.  I tried to get a message
          through, but I understand there's
          been a family emergency.

ELIZABETH -
          My daughter, Carolyn.  She was...
          injured.  Bitten by some sort of
          animal.

Barnabas tightens with surprise and regret.  He had no idea
Carolyn was a member of the Collins family.

And the script references what Barnabas actually says in the pilot perfectly. Other things are a bit different, including the setting because the scene actually takes pace in the Drawing Room, and Barnabas doesn't take Elizabeth's hand until just before he delivered the quote and he kisses her hand after he delivers it...

And for those who may be interested in such things, I recently noticed that the version of the pilot currently on YouTube has been upgraded from 514X360 to 686X480.

And Ep #478 now joins Eps #1, #124, #198 and #659 as ones without any "must" lines - one more left to come for this month.