Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 103527 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #270 on: December 07, 2021, 01:46:09 AM »
And before we move on beyond Scene 87, here's a still not used for the slideshow. It was shared by the 2012 Fest Program and it's also a second solo still of Quentin for Scene 87:

(Click here for a 693X700 version)

One would presume solo stills of Alex, Claire and Tracy from Scene 87 might also exist - however, if they do exist, it seems as if those solo stills have yet to surface...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 07, 2021, 03:10:19 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 38/Scene 88 - Alex (gesturing to Claire): 'Will you look at that dress? Gregory strikes again! He must think we're the manor folk -- honey, remember, we're broke.'

- check out -

There are two slightly different ways that Scene 88 is setup, depending on whose script one is reading. Grayson's sets things up thusly, beginning at the bottom of page 37:

- this post to learn about the different setups along with a great deal of improvised dialogue before the scripted dialogue even comes up in the scene as well as after - and of course there's Carlotta's reaction to Alex after she enters the room...

And as I said earlier, it's a shame that as the film stands, regardless of the version, the audience has no idea who Gregory even is...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 07, 2021, 08:54:58 PM »
I haven't forgotten about this:

Before we move on the today's Scene 86, I want to go back to how I teased there may be a quiz about Scene 85 that the stills I shared may help with. I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that there are continuity errors in Scene 85 that I never noticed until I watched it this time around. Yet another example of no matter how many times one watches something, there can still be things to notice for the first time. (Though again, I use the excuse that most times I watch something, much of my attention is focused on faces and not other things.) And so much for the remark I made:
Quite obviously whoever they hired to handle continuity for the film was much better than anyone who might have worked on the daytime show!
They were better but, obviously, not perfect because they really screwed up when it came to Scene 85!

So, has anyone else noticed the continuity errors? The screw up is a really big problem when it comes to a subsequent scene...
Once you learn what the problem is, you're going to feel foolish that you didn't notice what's wrong with Scene 85. I certainly do. And it would be one thing if it was simply something in Scene 85 and had no bearing on anything else, but as I said, it's a really big problem when it comes to a subsequent scene...

And to further provide clues, I'm reposting this -

And fair warning to pay close attention to the publicity stills because they may come in handy because there may be a quiz down the line...  [hall2_wink]

- and this particularly -

And another behind the scenes still featuring David Selby and Lara Parker to preview Scene 85:

(Click here for a 700X476 version)

- because it provides one of the biggest clues among the publicity stills...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 08, 2021, 04:08:36 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 38/Scene 88 - Quentin: 'What's that?'

- check out -

Continuing with Scene 88:

- this post...

And while your at it, be sure to check out -

Let's see. I read it as...

- to read Uncle Roger's expert deciphering of Grayson Hall's writing down her intended subtext for the scene...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 10, 2021, 02:38:23 AM »

Page 38/Scene 88 - Tracy: 'Something you can't be without?'

- check out -

And continuing with more of Scene 88, starting off with today's quote -

- this post for, among other things, seemingly more improvised dialogue...

A second reference to the never seen Gregory.  [santa_sad]

And something that's interesting about Scene 88 (and 89) for me is that I have never (and perhaps no one has ever) seen one still from the scene/sequence. Not that I've seen stills from every scene. Off the top of my head, I've never seen any stills from Scenes 30 through 32 (Carlotta leads Tracy and Quentin to the stairs and up to the second floor), but at least those scenes are part of the whole sequence of Carlotta introducing Quentin and Tracy to Collinwood and those scenes are probably the least important in the sequence. But other than those scenes I would be hard pressed to come up with a scene/sequence, particularly a mostly stand alone scene like Scene 88's dining room scene, where there isn't at least one still of it that's been circulated. Just an observation.

And speaking of observations, does it strike anyone else as odd that Alex claims that he and Claire "are broke"? Apparently they've written at least a few successful novels, one of which we learn at the end of the film is being made into a "major motion picture." Either they must have a terrible agent who negotiates terrible contracts for them or they must spend money like water. Or both. Who knows?  [santa_undecided]  But if they are broke, no wonder they need to live rent free.  [santa_wink]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 10, 2021, 01:55:38 PM »
The most obvious answer, at least to me, is that, Alex probably feels that, compared to Quentin, who has just inherited an estate, they are broke. They do seem to be doing a lot better than Will and Carolyn Loomis, the closest to counterparts they have on the series. Alex claims that they're broke but at least they're not having to take in boarders, vampires or otherwise. And it's only Alex who makes that statement. Claire doesn't put up an argument. She just remains quiet. Claire may be making enough trips to Gregory's boutique to be recognized as a regular customer but, outside of that, what expenses do she and Alex actually have at Collinwood? Rent is apparently not one of them. Food seems to be minimal. From what I can see, Alex seems to be the more impulsive of the two.
And, while I'm thinking about it, why did he and Quentin hit it off so well when they first met? By his own definition, starving artist Quentin was mean and surly. Claire couldn't figure him out. So what made the two of them bond?
Or perhaps The Jenkins are simply bad with money. Or maybe they just had the same literary agent as Lara Parker.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 10, 2021, 04:50:04 PM »
The most obvious answer, at least to me, is that, Alex probably feels that, compared to Quentin, who has just inherited an estate, they are broke.

You do have a point because part of Alex' line is, "Gregory strikes again! He must think we're the manor folk --"

And it's only Alex who makes that statement. Claire doesn't put up an argument. She just remains quiet.

True, Claire doesn't put up an argument - but she doesn't remain completely silent either - she replies with a sigh which might seem to put her in agreement that they're broke. Plus, while in the script the line is "we're broke" and in the film John Karlen delivers it as "we are broke" the "we're" in the script is underlined for emphasis:

Page 38/Scene 88 - Alex (gesturing to Claire): 'Will you look at that dress? Gregory strikes again! He must think we're the manor folk -- honey, remember, we're broke.'

And I think changing it to "we are" gives it even more emphasis. So -

Or perhaps The Jenkins are simply bad with money. Or maybe they just had the same literary agent as Lara Parker.

- you may have some good points there, too.  [santa_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 10, 2021, 09:06:25 PM »

Page 38/Scene 88 - Quentin: 'No...NO... [He kisses Tracy lightly] I'll get around to wearing it sooner or later --'

- check out -

And more of Scene 88, picking up with today's quote -

- this post for more differences with the dialogue...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 11, 2021, 04:12:08 PM »
And this installment of this slideshow sets a record for the most quotes on one day of a slideshow. And if you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's first quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Quentin: 'Oh, Carlotta, Charles Collins --'

- and/or today's second quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Carlotta: 'Yes, sir?'

- and/or today's third quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Quentin: 'I found some of his work in the tower room.'

-and/or today's fourth quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Carlotta: 'Oh?'

- and/or today's fifth quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Quentin: 'Do you know anything about his history?'

- check out -

And yet more of Scene 88, picking up with today's first quote -

- this post for a few more differences with the dialogue...

And we reach the real point of the scene...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 11, 2021, 05:32:09 PM »
And something that's interesting about Scene 88 (and 89) for me is that I have never (and perhaps no one has ever) seen one still from the scene/sequence.

OMG - How could I have said such foolishness?! I (and apparently everyone else reading this topic, because no one corrected me  [santa_sad]) completely forgot about this still:

And as if it wasn't bad enough that I forgot about my own copy of the still (which I just came across while looking for stills for upcoming Scenes 96 & 97), but it also appears on page 24 of the booklet for the movies' soundtrack CD (though that version is somewhat cropped).

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 12, 2021, 04:28:50 PM »

Page 39/Scene 88 - Carlotta: 'He was a marvelous man, a brilliant artist.'

- check out -

And continuing with more of Scene 88, picking up with Carlotta's answer as today's quote:

- this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 13, 2021, 04:32:55 PM »

Page 39/Scene 88 - Alex: 'You sound as if you know him.'

- check out -

The interesting thing about the notation in DC's script about doing a shot of Alex, Quentin and Tracy over Carlotta's shoulder is that after Carlotta says Charles was marvelous and brilliant, the next shot in Scene 88 is one of those three, though as can be seen in this capture -

- this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 14, 2021, 04:12:22 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's first quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Carlotta: 'I've read a lot about him, Mr. Jenkins. Will you be having brandy in the gallery?'

- and/or today's second quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Alex: 'Never. We're up with the sun these days.'

- check out -

And picking up Scene 88 with today's first quote -

- this post for more differences from what's scripted, more improvising, plus a great screen capture of Carlotta...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 15, 2021, 05:08:02 PM »

Page 39/Scene 89 - Quentin: 'Listen, I've had more of those crazy daydreams.'

- check out -

Setting up Scene 89:

- this post for the differences in the dialogue and the descriptions and directions...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 16, 2021, 03:16:08 PM »

Page 40/Scene 89 - Quentin: 'Not now. Why don't you come over tomorrow.'

- check out -

Wrapping up Scene 89, beginning with Alex's response to Quentin bringing up his "daydreams":

- this post for yet more differences in the dialogue and the descriptions and directions...