Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 105145 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #465 on: March 26, 2022, 10:14:08 PM »
And I've shared these as part of Flip Magazine's Curse of Dark Shadows article, but not on their own:

(Click here for a 989X1201 version)

(Click here for a 569X1201 version)
The Flip caption for it reads: "Chris Pennock plays Gabriel Collins,
19th century brother of Charles
and husband of Angelique."

And just as with the Angelique/Sarah photo shared in Reply #452, to my knowledge it's the only place these two have officially been published.

And I'd shared this -

- but I didn't share the actual still:

(Click here for a 590X700 version)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 27, 2022, 12:49:23 AM »
These are all great shots, MB!!!
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 27, 2022, 07:48:37 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 63/Scene 126 - Angelique: 'As I die, so shall all of you. For that will be my legacy --'

- check out -

Given today's graphic, it's probably obvious that today's quote -

- this post and to read some observations about the quote...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 28, 2022, 12:28:07 AM »
And here's something that's fairly rare, because it had only been published in the Nov. '71 edition of 16 Magazine -

- as part of an article entitled Sneak Peak at NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS until it showed up in 2012 on page 186 of the DS Return To Collinwood book. And here's a still of it:

(Click here for a 700X693 version)

Interestingly, Charles, Strack and Strack's henchman were never seen in the film standing in front of Collinwood like they're posing - but then, so many stills are posed for in ways that don't directly correlate to the film. And who knows who told 16 Magazine that the flashback takes place in the 1880s (well, unless that's a typo)? Maybe they should have stuck to referring to the time frame as the "19th century."  [easter_wink]

And just when you might think there couldn't possibly be another head shot of Charles from this sequence, here comes this very rare one:

(Click here for a 718X900 version)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 28, 2022, 06:12:11 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 63/Scene 126 - Strack: 'I ask the good Lord to forgive your blasphemy. Prepare yourself for eternity, witch.'

- check out -

A reworked version of today's quote from the script -

- this post and to learn that it's actually delivered later in the film, in Scene 129 - and the reference to August 27, 2016 takes place on March 30 th this time around...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 29, 2022, 12:44:36 AM »
Here are the next two. First up, a still -

(Click here for a 700X479 version)

- that I first saw a (cropped) B&W version on page 26 of the movies soundtrack's booklet, and then a cropped color version showed up on page 183 of the The DS Movie Book.

And then, getting back into rare stuff, there's this -

(Click here for a 782X526 version)

- which is part of the NoDS Herald, a four page booklet that was made available to theaters via the NoDS Pressbook for them to distribute in various locations to promote the film...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 29, 2022, 06:22:12 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's first quote -

Page 64/Scene 127 - Angelique's Voice: 'I have lost him, but I will have him again...you will help me, Sarah...'

- and/or today's second quote -

Page 64/Scene 128 - Angelique's Voice: 'You will know when the time comes...for it is your love that will keep me alive...'

- check out -

Moving along with Scene 126 and beyond (this time using DC's script):

- this post and to learn how things are very different when it comes to the directions and descriptions...

Also, if this part of the sequence proves one thing, it's that, whether or not Angelique is a witch, she definitely is some sort of telepath to be able to communicate with Sarah to the point that Sarah seemingly understands everything that Angelique is communicating to her.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 30, 2022, 01:00:46 AM »
Next up is something that appeared in Flip Magazine's Curse of Dark Shadows article (and you can see that version
here
in that post), but in this post I'm sharing the version that appeared in the Daytime TV article:

(Click here for a 702X924 version)
The Flip caption for it reads: "Angelique is executed in the 19th
century for her adultery with
Charles Collins."
And the Daytime TV caption reads: "Flashback segment of film shows Angelique was
hung as adulteress and witch in 19th century."

And you'll note that the henchmen who share the platform with Angelique in the photo are the same two who share it with her in the film, as today's first scrren capture shows:

However, they are not the same two who share the platform with her in this still:

(Click here for a 467X700 version)

And what's most fascinating about the two sets of men is that footage of both sets exists. As I've shown, the first set appears in the film in several three shots atop the platform, but if you're observant, you'll notice that the second set also appears in the film as well as in footage that appear in some of the NoDS trailers -

- here's the footage from the trailers -

- but note that there's a jump cut in the film -

- more than likely so as not to show the henchman on the left's face, which no doubt would have had people in the audience saying, "Hey, how did he get up there when it was a different guy earlier?"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 30, 2022, 03:58:28 PM »
Something I forgot to mention last night is that when it comes to the Flip and Daytime TV articles, I've sometimes theorized that, because many of the photos shared in them have never been shared elsewhere, perhaps those photos might have been taken by the magazines' own photographers. However, I didn't notice until going through things this time around that at least when it comes to the Daytime TV article there's a small, easy to miss credit that says "Photos by MGM, New York". So, considering the photo of the henchmen preparing Angelique for hanging is also shared in the Flip article, at the very least that photo was provided to Flip by MGM. However, I still wonder about the others, and that's mostly because when it comes to Flip's 1970 article similarly announcing the production of hoDS, most, if not all of the photos it shared have never shown up anywhere else as well. Who knows?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 30, 2022, 05:28:56 PM »

Page 64/Scene 129 - Strack: 'May the devil take his own!'

- check out -

Moving on to the next two scenes in the sequence:

- this post and to learn about major differences in the dialogue, the directions and the descriptions...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: March 30, 2022, 11:54:48 PM »
Before I share the next thing that I want to, I should mention that The DS Movie Book is filled with actual stills from both film. So, one would presume all the photos shared are stills. But then there's this first thing that I want to share today, presumably a still that appears on page 254 of The DS Movie Book of Sarah screaming in the window of her bedroom:

And on the Internet there's a color version that purports to be the same still, and it might very well be an actual still:

(Click here for a 853X480 version)

However it comes across much more like a screen capture because one could take a screen capture from the NoDS DVD/Blu-ray that would look exactly like it. But the interesting thing there is the NoDS DVD/Blu-ray wasn't released until 2012, whereas The DS Movie Book was published in 1998. And in 1998 the only readily available version of NoDS was the one with the 4X3 aspect ratio that was released on VHS. There wasn't even any 16X9 version being shown anywhere on television. So, if it was a 16X9 screen capture rather than a still, it's fascinating to wonder where it came from and how it was taken...

But be all that as it may, as I'd posted back in 2016, I'd never realized until getting captures for that year's NoDS slideshow the three versions that we see in the film of Sarah screaming at the window:
  • Quentin's "memory" in Scene 75
  • In Scene 80 when Quentin recalls back what he saw
  • And when Charles sees Sarah in Scene 129
are not only all different in some way or other, but they're actually three completely different takes of Sarah screaming. Check these new video versions:

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 30, 2022, 11:57:29 PM »
MB, is it possible that Flip's crediting the photo to MGM was a mistake? Back then, there were so many teen, soap and horror magazines after DS stuff that a lazy editor might have just credited the pictures to MGM to meet a pressing deadline. And, like Gloria Stavers and 16, accuracy was not a top priority.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 31, 2022, 04:30:12 PM »
Well, when it comes to Flip's hoDS article, it contains a credit that says, "Photos by Charles Moore," but who knows what his connection to Flip was? He could have been a Flip staff photographer. He could have worked for MGM and they simply provided Flip with the photos for the article. Or he could have been freelance and sold the photos to Flip.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 31, 2022, 07:28:29 PM »
Now I want to share a still of the hanging Angelique that has an interesting history in the PomPress books -

(Click here for a 700X476 version)

- because it's appeared in two different books. A fairly cropped B&W version first showed up on page 141 of the DS Almanac 30th Anniversary Tribute, and then 3 years later a somewhat less cropped color version showed up on page 183 of The DS Movie Book. It may actually be the only still to appear in two different PomPress books, though once in B&W and then in color.

And while were on the subject of Angelique's hanging, it's really quite interesting how the action itself appears so briefly in the way the film currently stands. When it comes to her body falling from the platform, all that's seen is:

Whereas, what was intended to be seen and is seen in the 97 and 129 minute versions of the film, as well as one of the trailers is:

And then there's the footage of Angelique body being pulled up, which, again, only appears in the 97 and 129 minute versions of the film, as well as some on the trailers:

One can't help but wonder what Lara Parker thought after she'd been harnessed up for that shot only to have it completely missing from the 94 minute version of the film?

And Angelique's body being pulled up isn't the only thing that's missing because once her body is high up in the tree, the henchmen tie the rope off and her body swings as the tree branch creaks. Shortly Charles turns away and moves toward the house. The other household members and Strack soon follow, which, after Charles turns away from having seen Sarah screaming in her window, is where the 94 minute version picks up as one of the henchmen moves to the bottom of one of the ladders and begins to climb up.

Thankfully, though, a still of Charles having turned away and making his way to the house does exist -

(Click here for a 1000X750 version)

- a somewhat washed out version of which appears on page 186 of DS Return To Collinwood, though at least that version shows more all around than the version I'm sharing here.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 31, 2022, 09:54:34 PM »
A quick internet search didn't come up with any connection between Charles Moore and Flip. But he was a highly respected photojournalist, who took some iconic photos of Martin Luther King and others in the early days of the Civil Rights Movement. It appears that he moved in the same circles as Ben Martin. Perhaps that led to the NODS job.
Fade Away and Radiate