Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 106617 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #510 on: April 16, 2022, 08:08:12 PM »
Four more stills, not directly related to Scene 146, but featuring Angelique at the cemetery:

(Click here for a 987X1500 version)

(Click here for a 887X620 version)

And so far as I'm aware, none of these have been officially published anywhere...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 17, 2022, 03:08:29 AM »
And even though these have nothing to do with the cemetery set and were taken outside Lyndhurst, I've often wonder if these three stills were taken on the same day as the Lobby Card:

(Click here for a 800X1053 version)

(Click here for a 800X1235 version)

(Click here for a 800X1189 version)

A somewhat longer version of the top still was shared on page 190 of the Return To Collinwood book. I'm pretty sure I've never seen the other two officially published anywhere...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 17, 2022, 04:48:19 AM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's first quote -

Page 70/Scene 149 - Tracy: 'Quentin!'

- and/or today's second quote -

Page 70/Scene 149 - Tracy: 'I...I thought you weren't coming back here...'

- check out -

And picking things up with the next scene in the script:

- this post and to learn about the differences in the dialogue, the descriptions and the directions and about how things were actually shot...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 17, 2022, 05:58:08 PM »
And even though we've already moved beyond Scene 146, I have two more things I want to share:

For a change it's not Nancy Barrett posing around a set/location that Claire didn't appear in, it's Grayson Hall posing at the cemetery set, where Carlotta never appeared, -

- and wearing one of two dresses she appears in stills wearing but she never wore as Carlotta in the film (but more on that at a later time). A somewhat cropped version of this still appears on page 172 of DS Memories.

And a candid of Thayer David in nearly full (he's missing the gloves and hat) Strack regalia that -

(Click here for a 678X700 version)

- may have been taken on the day Strack's trampling was shot or Angelique's hanging. I'm not sure which, so I held off sharing it until now. As far as I know, it's never been officially published anywhere...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 18, 2022, 12:22:32 AM »
Until I was going through a pile of stills looking for ones to post for upcoming scenes, I'd completely forgotten that I have the still of the Angelique/Charles Lobby Card. And like the still I shared of Carlotta/Gerard in Reply #294, the still is much better quality than the Lobby Card -

(Click here for a 700X476 version)

- or at least much better quality than the Heritage Auctions Web site's scan I've shared of the Lobby Card - plus it shows a bit more... 

And as a side note, notice how you can barely tell Charles is supposed to have a scar on his cheek. Apparently they went much more pronounced with the make-up once they shot his scenes...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 18, 2022, 10:24:07 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of yesterday's quote -

Page 70/Scene 149 - Tracy: 'Quentin, what's happened to you? What's wrong? There's...there's someone in that room with you, isn't there?'

- and/or today's quote -

Page 70/Scene 149 - Quentin: 'Tracy, why don't you go back to bed.'

- check out -

Continuing with Scene 149:

- this post and to learn about the differences in the dialogue, the descriptions and the directions and once again about how things were actually shot...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 19, 2022, 04:04:02 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's first quote -

Page 71/Scene 149 - Tracy: 'I know someone's in there!'

Page 71/Scene 149 - Quentin (mimicking her): '"I know someone's in there"...You make me sick! I can't even stand the sight of you anymore.'

- and/or today's third quote -

Page 71/Scene 149 - Quentin (O.S.): 'Now get out of here!'

- check out -

Moving on with Scene 149:

- this post and to learn about the differences with the dialogue, the descriptions and the directions, about how I love a certain smile Quentin displays, and about how things play a bit differently from how they're scripted...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 19, 2022, 08:52:44 PM »
And today I have a behind the scenes candid still to share that's associated with Scene 149:

(Click here for a 1400X1067 version)

David Selby and Kate Jackson are in a decidedly different mood than their characters are in the scene...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 21, 2022, 02:00:09 AM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 71/Scene 149 - Quentin: 'And don't ever let me catch you up here again!'

- check out -

Wrapping up Scene 149:

- this post and to learn what's different with the dialogue, the descriptions and the directions...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 21, 2022, 04:22:48 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 71/Scene 150 - Quentin: 'How could I have ever thought you were a dream?'

- check out -

Moving on to the next three scenes:

- this post and to learn what of the three scenes definitely wasn't recovered as part of the 129 minute version, but what may have been...

And when it comes to one of the scenes that wasn't recovered (Scene 151) it doesn't appear to be a case that DC didn't plan to shot it because not that long ago I came across a call sheet for April 5, 1971 and the scene is listed as one of the ones that were planned to be shot that day...

And speaking of the call sheet, among the titles of the personnel expected to be on set that day was the "stillman" - presumably the photographer who shot the stills. But what's interesting that as far as the scenes expected to be shot that day go, I've only come across stills from upcoming Scenes 190 - Alex forces his way into Collinwood/Carlotta and Gerard attempt to stop him from seeing Quentin/Quentin comes down, 192 - Quentin realizes he did attack Tracy, learns Carlotta sent Gerard to do what has to be done, and confronts Angelique on the stairs, deleted 220 - Quentin, Tracy, Alex and Claire make preparations to search for Carlotta, and already covered 100 - Quentin and Tracy discuss his attack on Gerard and her. Though, of course, that's not to say stills weren't ever taken of Scenes 93 & 94 - Gerard, brandishing a club, enters Collinwood's first floor corridor and looks up the stairs, 137 & 139 & 139A (I knew there was a 139A! ;)) - Tracy's half of her phone call with Alex, Quentin says he's going to stay up to read, 150 - it's revealed that Angelique is in the tower room with Quentin, deleted 151 - Tracy contemplates calling Alex and then does so, deleted 152 - the phone rings in the empty Jenkins cottage (but then, why would there be stills of that?), and upcoming deleted 219 - Quentin, Tracy, Alex and Claire enter Collinwood's foyer and discover there's no electricity...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 22, 2022, 12:34:28 AM »
You may wonder, if I said I've never come across a still from Scene 150, then why did I make a graphic for that scene -

- using this still:

Well, that's because Scene 150 says Angelique "lies on the cot," which indeed she is doing in the still, so even if it's not specifically associated with Scene 150, it comes damn close. And she may not be "holding out her arms" to Quentin, but as we've seen numerous times already, even when it comes to stills definitely known to be associated with specific scenes, they often depict characters in ways other than how the script describes them. Plus, I love that still.

And as a bonus, here's a very rarely seen alternate shot:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 22, 2022, 01:30:05 AM »
And speaking of something that's very rarely seen, I almost forgot to share the color version of the first still from above:

(Click here for a 1600X2000 version)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 22, 2022, 06:18:44 PM »

Page 72/Scene 153 - Tracy: 'Carlotta, where is Mr. Collins?'

Page 72/Scene 153 - Carlotta: 'Oh, didn't he tell you? He's just left for town. He needs some supplies. You do know he's painting in the tower, don't you?'

- check out -

Moving on to the next scene (which is one of my favorite scenes in the entire film):

- this post and to learn about the differences in the dialogue, the descriptions and the directions, about notes in Grayson's script, and about a clue on the DVD/Blu-ray release that chances are very good that Scene 150 does indeed appear in the 129 minute version of the film...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 23, 2022, 04:48:37 PM »

Page 72/Scene 153 - Carlotta: 'Is something wrong, Mrs. Collins?'

Page 72/Scene 153 - Tracy: 'Yes, something is wrong, Carlotta.'

- check out -

Continuing Scene 153, with Tracy's response to Carlotta questioning whether or not she knows Quentin is working in the tower:

- this post and to learn about the differences in the dialogue, and about actions and gestures that I love Kate Jackson and Grayson Hall brought to their performances in this section of the scene...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 24, 2022, 12:16:46 AM »
This line is not quoted in the current version of the slideshow, but it did appear in the original version -

NoDS: Scene #153 - Tracy: 'Yes, I know.'

-  because it was the quote for November 10th on the Fest 1999 Movie Calendar.

And interestingly enough, this still of Carlotta -

(Click here for a 700X1028 version)

- is most closest connected to Scene 153 by how Carlotta can hardly cover her glee that Quentin is painting in the tower again and Tracy doesn't know where Quentin is...

And a cropped version of that still appears on page 179 of the DS Movie Book, and a cropped to just a head shot version appears on the back cover of the movies soundtrack case...