Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 105270 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #450 on: March 22, 2022, 12:48:05 AM »
If you haven't already, be sure to use the link in Reply #359 to read Scene 122.

So, if you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's first quote -

Page 61/Scene 123 - Carlotta's Voice: 'I don't know how long I stood there. It seemed like hours...'

- and/or today's second quote -

Page 61/Scene 124 - Carlotta's Voice (Contd): 'Finally, my mother joined Laura and the two of them waited...suddenly the silence was shattered by the terrifying sounds from above and it was then that I saw her.'

- check out -

Moving to the next two scenes in the current sequence (using Grayson's script):

- this post and to wonder whether or not Scene 123 and the beginning of Scene 124 may have even been shot...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 22, 2022, 04:58:09 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 62/Scene 124 - Sarah: 'No! No! I won't let you take her! She is good! She is good!'

- check out -

Continuing Scene 124 (using Grayson's script):

- this post and to learn about the differences in the dialogue (including an unscripted Carlotta voiceover - one that doesn't even appear in Grayson's script - and she wrote/added everything - so who knows when it was decided to add it to the film?), about the way the delivery of the quote is shot, about differences in the directions and the descriptions, about the priceless exchange of looks between Laura and Angelique, and the reference to August 22, 2016's installment will take place on March 25th this time around...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 22, 2022, 08:28:03 PM »
Here's the first of what I'm sharing that's associated with Scene 124 -

(Click here for a 556X1208 version)
The Flip caption for it reads: "Monica Rich plays Sarah, the 19th
century daughter of the Collins'
housekeeper. She is Angelique's only
friend in the 19th century, just as
Sarah's reincarnation, Carlotta
Drake (Grayson Hall) is Angelique's
only friend in the 20th century."
(I suppose they don't consider Charles as Angelique's "friend," given he's, uh, much more than her friend.  [easter_wink] [easter_cheesy]
And it's amazing how many plot points this and other articles gave away long before the film had even opened.
But then, I've bitched about that quite often with regard to both this film and hoDS.

- it's part of Flip Magazine's Curse of Dark Shadows article, and to my knowledge it's the only place it's officially been published. But then that article, like the one from Daytime TV, is another that contains material that's exclusive to it. And interestingly enough, when it comes to Flip's article, I've never come across any of the still versions of any of its photos...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 24, 2022, 12:38:06 AM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's first quote -

Page 62/Scene 124 - Mrs. Castle: 'Please, Sarah.'

- and/or today's second quote -

Page 62/Scene 124 - Sarah: 'Don't let them do it, mama! I love her so.'

- check out -

Continuing Scene 124:

- this post and to learn about the differences in the dialogue, the directions and the descriptions, and about more cuts when it comes to Sarah's material...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 24, 2022, 03:20:18 AM »
Here's the second of what I'm sharing that's associated with Scene 124 -

(Click here for a 660X666 version)

- a rare still of Charles that I'm not aware of being shared - and apparently David Selby perfected his expression for Scene 124 by having photos taken because, as can be seen in today's first screen capture, his expression in the actual scene is extremely similar to that in the still:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 24, 2022, 08:48:09 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 62/Scene 124 - Angelique: 'My darling, don't cry. Sarah, dear, don't cry, please. It will be just as if I'm away for a little while.'

- check out -

Continuing Scene 124:

- this post and to learn about the differences in the dialogue and editing during it, and about differences in the directions and the descriptions...

And many people might say, "Well, duh!" and roll their eyes [easter_rolleyes] but I have to confess that it wasn't until this time around that it hit me that the hair seen behind Angelique's head in the photo I shared in Reply #452 belongs to either Stack's henchman or Charles. Though, to be truthful, I don't even know if I paid much attention that that was a glimpse of a head of hair behind Angelique's head - and the question of who it might be is due to the fact that the one standing behind Angelique in the early part of the scene is Strack's henchmen -

- before Charles joins him -

- as can be seen in today's screen capture. If the still was in color, perhaps the ID would be clearer if there was a glimpse of the henchman's green jacket...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 24, 2022, 10:21:40 PM »
It's never quite clear to me precisely what the relationship between Angelique and Sarah is all about. Sarah seems to adore Angelique and she seems to be the only one in the house other than Quentin that Angelique demonstrates any kind of tolerance let alone affection for. Is this another DS example of a young child being bewitched? Or is there more to it than that? Is Angelique doing the prep work for the 1970's?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 25, 2022, 05:06:09 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of the first part of today's quote -

Page 62/Scene 124 - Angelique: 'You'll remember all the time we spent together. All the love we've shared...'

- and/or the second part of today's quote -

Page 62/Scene 124 - Angelique: 'Here. You've always thought this so pretty.'

- and/or the third part of today's quote -

Page 62/Scene 124 - Angelique: 'As long as you wear this, you'll remember me.'

- check out -

Before we conclude Scene 124 as it appears in DC's script, here's how it concludes in Grayson's:

- this post to also learn about the differences in Grayson's and DC's scripts, and about the differences in the dialogue, the directions and the descriptions...

It's quite interesting that Angelique's intention of giving Sarah her locket and her pronouncement that as long as Sarah wears the locket she will "remember" Angelique was not a part of the original script and was added at some later point before production. Apparently originally the script intended the audience to pick up on its own that Angelique and Carlotta had the same locket - but it was much smarter to make that point an expressed part of the plot...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 25, 2022, 08:00:23 PM »
Honestly, I've never suspected anything underhanded on the part of Angelique when it comes to her relationship with Sarah. It just seems that for one reason of another they hit it off. Even though we would presume children had to exist in the Collins family (or else Mrs. Stoddard would have never come to exist a couple generations later), we don't see or hear about them. Perhaps they were off at boarding school (like Gabriel's children on the daytime show)? Who knows? But quite possibly Sarah was the lone child in the house and lonely. Angelique may have noticed that, felt sympathy for her, and befriended Sarah for that reason and they grew close. It's one theory...

My thing has always been to wonder what happened to Angelique after Sarah died and before Carlotta realized she was Sarah's reincarnation? Plus, there had to be some period between Sarah's death and Carlotta's birth when there was presumably no one around to keep Angelique's spirit around. Or was there some other reincarnation around that we're completely unaware of? And another thing, just how did Angelique's locket go from being in Sarah's possession to Carlotta's?

So many questions? So many subjects for fan fiction...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 26, 2022, 12:00:56 AM »
And here's the final of what I'm sharing that's associated with Scene 124 -

(Click here for a 700X730 version)

- a rare still that for years I thought I owned in its entirety, that is until the complete version was shared in the 2004 NY Fest Program:

(Click here for a 941X730 version)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 26, 2022, 01:36:19 AM »
A friend whose involvement in DS fandom precedes mine by several years told me that in the Shadowcon days, this still was pretty common. It gradually disappeared until it was unearthed around the time that you found it.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 26, 2022, 04:04:06 PM »
And many people might say, "Well, duh!" and roll their eyes [easter_rolleyes] but I have to confess that it wasn't until this time around that it hit me that the hair seen behind Angelique's head in the photo I shared in Reply #452 belongs to either Stack's henchman or Charles.

This screen capture that I'd posted in the "And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of) [**Now featuring alternate versions..." topic might complicate matters because -

- for one, it makes it seem as if the photographer took the still from an angle somewhat more to his left and/or David Selby had been slightly higher or the photographer stood higher, the one behind Angelique in the still would have been Charles - but it introduces a third possibility of the person who is partially seen behind Angelique. What's interesting about that person, though, is presumably it's another of Strack's henchmen, but when we saw Scene 85 only two henchmen entered the Tower Room with Strack, so where was the third at that time, just standing outside the room while all the commotion was going on inside?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 26, 2022, 04:10:32 PM »
Before moving from Scene 124 and on to Scene 126 in today's slideshow, be sure to read Scene 125 -

And here's Scene 125:

- more Sarah material that doesn't appear in any version of the film, material that may not have even been shot...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 26, 2022, 07:34:09 PM »

Page 63/Scene 126 - Strack: 'Angelique Collins, you have been condemned as a witch and you must die as a witch. Let your soul be returned to the pits of darkness forever more.'

- check out -

Moving to the next scene in the current sequence (using Grayson's script again because DC didn't changed the names):

- this post and to learn about the differences in the dialogue, the directions and the descriptions...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 26, 2022, 09:12:03 PM »
Before I start to share new material related to the current sequence in the flashback, I want to remind what I've already shared, starting with:

(Click here for a 708X563 version)

(Click here for a 700X540 version)