Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 105618 times)

Uncle Roger and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #345 on: January 17, 2022, 04:02:01 AM »
Before we move on to tomorrow's quote I'd like to share a still of Angelique outside the greenhouse. But first here's something I posted last time around -

...I have to say that one of my favorite candid stills of Parker as Angelique is the one that appears on the back of the VHS box:

And that box may be the only place it's ever been published. Or if there has been another place, I don't honestly remember where...

- however, I've since come across the actual still -

(Click here for a 700X476 version)

- which is much better quality...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 17, 2022, 04:46:25 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of the first part of today's quote -

Page 49/Scene 109 - Tracy: 'Alex! Are you all right?'

- and/or the second part of today's quote -

Page 49/Scene 109 - Tracy: 'What happened?'

- and/or today's second quote -

Page 49/Scene 109 - Alex: (taking a beat) 'I was exploring and I guess I shouldn't have been. The whole place fell down.'

- check out -

Continuing with Scene 109 and moving beyond to wrap up the sequence:

- this post but don't read beyond the script's end of Scene 109 and into its beginning of Scene 110...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 17, 2022, 07:50:37 PM »
Today I'm going to share four stills that are related in various degrees to Scene 109:

Here's the first -

(Click here for a 700X466 version)

- a version of which (that shows more on the left and less on the right) has been shared as November's photo in the Fest's 1999 Movie Calendar - and here's the second -

- which I don't believe has been officially published anywhere...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 17, 2022, 11:48:36 PM »
And here are the final two for today:

Here's an alternate print of the second one above -

(Click here for a 700X844 version)

- quite possibly printed because the other barely showed Tracy - and here's the last -

(Click here for a 1333X1000 version)

- which as far as I'm aware has only been shared as part of the Fest's 2012 NY Weekend Program.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 18, 2022, 02:34:43 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's first quote -

Page 49/Scene 110 - Alex: 'What's new, Trace?'

Page 49/Scene 110 - Tracy: 'Something...very strange happened last night and I'm worried about it.'

- check out -

... to wrap up the sequence:

- this post to learn about the differences in the dialogue as well as its shifted placement in the scenes, and to also learn differences in the way things were shot...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 18, 2022, 08:54:05 PM »
Today I'm going to share six stills. Three that are related in various degrees to Scene 109. Three that aren't really, but are connected to what I've been recently sharing in another way.

Here's the first -

(Click here for a 700X1028 version)

- a copy of which was shared on page 177 of the DS Movie Book (that horse seemed to love to have his photo taken) - and the second was first shared in the NoDS Pressbook as part of the following article -

- obviously she never did emigrate there - and here's the actual still -

- which I suspect may have been taken during the same photo session as the still I reshared in Reply #342 - and here's the last one -

- which was shared on page 131 of the Millennium Edition of the DS Almanac and was obviously taken outside the Lyndhurst mansion and not the greenhouse...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 19, 2022, 01:46:07 AM »
And I'm sharing the next three stills simply because they were shot at the greenhouse. On the same day as the others? Who knows? But perhaps...

Here's the first -

- and the second has been shared as September's photo in the Fest's 1999 Movie Calendar -

(Click here for a 915X620 version)

- and here's an alternate version with just Nancy and Chris -

- was the greenhouse simply cropped out? Who knows? However, a version that shows Nancy's entire hand appears on page 179 of the DS Movies Book...

And as an aside, a still of Nancy reclining in the grass in front of Lyndhurst and wearing the same outfit (my copy of the still) appears on page 181 of the DS Movies Book - can you even imagine if she had worn the outfit as Claire when she and Tracy go to Gregory's store?!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 19, 2022, 03:18:51 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 50/Scene 111 - Quentin: 'You were a fool ever to go in there...'

- check out -

Setting up the new scene (and once again the version in Grayson's script is different from the one in DC's (for one, in Grayson's version the scene takes place in Collinwood's library) - but we're going to wait until all of DC's version has been presented before we go back to Grayson's version):

- this post to learn not only the setup for this new scene, but also how the beginning of it may have been shot...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 21, 2022, 09:44:14 PM »
And I still haven't forgotten about this -

I haven't forgotten about this:

Before we move on the today's Scene 86, I want to go back to how I teased there may be a quiz about Scene 85 that the stills I shared may help with. I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that there are continuity errors in Scene 85 that I never noticed until I watched it this time around. Yet another example of no matter how many times one watches something, there can still be things to notice for the first time. (Though again, I use the excuse that most times I watch something, much of my attention is focused on faces and not other things.) And so much for the remark I made:
Quite obviously whoever they hired to handle continuity for the film was much better than anyone who might have worked on the daytime show!
They were better but, obviously, not perfect because they really screwed up when it came to Scene 85!

So, has anyone else noticed the continuity errors? The screw up is a really big problem when it comes to a subsequent scene...
Once you learn what the problem is, you're going to feel foolish that you didn't notice what's wrong with Scene 85. I certainly do. And it would be one thing if it was simply something in Scene 85 and had no bearing on anything else, but as I said, it's a really big problem when it comes to a subsequent scene...

And I still can't believe no one has picked up on the problem. But I'm reposting this to provide one last clue -

And the last of the stills to preview Scene 85, two more Angelique publicity stills that were taken in the tower room:

(Click here for a 1481X1000 version)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 22, 2022, 04:58:19 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of Thursday's quote -

Page 50/Scene 111 - Alex: 'I told you. I saw someone in a long white dress.'

- and/or Friday's quote -

Page 50/Scene 111 - Quentin: 'Your imagination is getting the best of you.'

- and/or today's quote -

Page 50/Scene 111 - Alex: 'No it didn't. I saw Angelique and she tried to kill me.'

- check out -

Continuing Scene 111...

- this post to learn about DC's intended differences in the dialogue and how he planned to shoot this section...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 24, 2022, 05:38:10 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of Sunday's quote -

Page 50/Scene 111 - Quentin: 'God damn it! That's impossible.'

- and/or today's quote -

Page 50/Scene 111 - Alex: 'Quentin, she had a reason to stop me. I found out alot about your family. You already know about Charles Collins. But do the name's Gabriel and Laura mean anything to you?'

- check out -

Continuing Scene 111, beginning with yesterday's quote, Quentin's reaction to Alex insisting Angelique tried to kill him -

- this post to learn about how DC planned to shoot this section, as well as misspellings in the script...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 24, 2022, 09:34:48 PM »
The latest different graphics -

- have all been made using various portions of this still -

(Click here for a 700X599 version)

- which to my memory hasn't been officially published anywhere - rarely, though, it does pop up for sale on places like Heritage Auctions...

A couple other different graphics using the still will be showing up in the next 10 days (yes Scene 111 is a long scene)...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 26, 2022, 05:08:08 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of yesterday's first quote -

Page 50/Scene 111 - Quentin: 'Why should they?'

- and/or yesterday's second quote -

Page 50/Scene 111 - Alex: 'Because of those little...day dreams of yours.'

- and/or today's first quote -

Page 50/Scene 111 - Quentin: 'Those daydreams don't mean a thing.'

Page 50/Scene 111 - Alex: 'Yesterday, you said you wanted to talk about them.'

- check out -

Continuing Scene 111, beginning with yesterday's first quote, Quentin's reaction to Alex asking if the names Gabriel and Laura mean anything to him -

- this post - and to also learn that, yes, in the script daydreams is incorrectly spelled as "day dreams" in Alex' line...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 27, 2022, 04:20:05 PM »
Before we move on to today's quote I want to revisit somethings that came up in regards to Scene 84:

From Reply #245:

So, without further teasing, here's a screen cap from the Blu-ray that shows the proof -

(Click here for a 1000X532 version)

- and don't feel bad if you don't immediately see it - but here's a frame taken from a video I just shot of the VHS with my phone off of a TV (remember, I currently have no way to play the VHS on my computer) that shows the proof much better -

(Click here for a 900X661 version)

- so as you can see it's a sketch of Angelique wearing the same dress and necklace that she wears in the portrait -

- and even though it's not the same pose, it would certainly seem to be ample proof that Charles painted her portrait...

And from Reply 157 in the "And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of) [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies..." topic:

...(though given there's an obvious cut in the background music, it would definitely seem as if something was cut from the scene that took place between the time Quentin discovers the hidden paintings and the time he takes out the unfinished one)...

Well, once again I've been reminded of something I'd also completely forgotten back in 2016:

Reply #269 in the "And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of) [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies..." topic:

Doing a bit more digging through older '04 topics, thanks to a post from ProfStokes, I think I may have discovered an answer to this:

A portion of Scene 84 in the script:

He starts to look for something
       and, moving a trunk to a better position, discovers
       that it was concealing a built-in wall cupboard.
       Obviously, it hasn't been opened in years.  Opening
       it, he sees a stack of canvases.  He takes one out.
       It is a portrait of Angelique and is signed:  "Charles
       Collins, 1800."  Quentin is amazed.  He takes out
       others.  They are all of Angelique.  Then he comes
       to an unfinished one.

And my comments:

... And when he discovers the cupboard and opens it, he doesn't take out any paintings other than the unfinished one, which he carries over to his easel so as, as can be seen in the following capture -

- to get a better look (though given there's an obvious cut in the background music, it would definitely seem as if something was cut from the scene that took place between the time Quentin discovers the hidden paintings and the time he takes out the unfinished one) ...

And ProfStokes' post relates because here's a portion of her listing of the recovered footage that was shown:

..., Quentin discovering a sketch that Charles had made of Angelique, ...

Maybe now that I've been reminded twice I'll actually remember that during that obvious cut in Scene 84 one thing Quentin definitely discovers is the drawing of Angelique that only very briefly makes an appearance in the film as it currently stands...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 27, 2022, 08:36:50 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of the first part of today's quote -

Page 51/Scene 111 - Alex: 'That's all, huh? Then why were you screaming, "She's mine, brother, she's mine."'

- and/or the second part of today's quote -

Page 51/Scene 111 - Alex: 'I think you were living out one of those day dreams...You were Charles, and Gerard was brother Gabriel...and you were fighting over...Angelique.'

- check out -

Picking up Scene 111 after Alex' remark that the day before Quentin wanted to talk about his daydreams:

- this post to learn about the way things in this section may be shot - and to learn about more misspelling, all of which in this scene seem to only occur in Alex' lines...