Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 105569 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #285 on: December 16, 2021, 04:00:07 PM »
Be sure to read -

The next quote in the slideshow will be from Scene 97, so there are a lot of scenes to deal with before we get there:

- as soon as possible because stills from Scene 96 will be forthcoming, plus there are many screen caps in the post from the scenes leading up to Scene 96 and beyond...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 16, 2021, 04:54:48 PM »
Here are the first batch of stills for Scene 96. First up, a rare still I've never seen shared anywhere:

(Click here for a 700X908 version)

Next, another rare one, though it was published as part of an article in Daytime TV (along with several other rare ones that have only been published as part of that article):

The caption for it reads: "Jealous that Angelique is spending too much time with Quentin, Gerard goes after Quentin."

And another rare one that I find a bit funny because to me it looks more like David Selby wearing a wig and pretending to be James Storm as Gerard -

- but then, it could be James. Who knows? But it was published in the Dec. '71 issue of 16 Magazine, hence the drawing of scratches on the face where there shouldn't even be any yet...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 16, 2021, 10:30:09 PM »
Here are a second batch of stills for Scene 96. First up, a rare still that was also published as part of the article that appeared in the Dec. '71 issue of 16 Magazine:

The caption for it reads: "Even in the present day, Quentin fights to defend himself
from one of Angelique's lovers. This time it is Gerard (James
Storm), who, madly in love with the ghost of Angelique, succeeds
in his attack against Quentin -- alias Charles."

(It's interesting that the caption explicitly states Gerard's relationship to Angelique prior to Quentin's arrival when, as the film stands, the audience has to piece things together for themselves, and that's made harder by the fact that even in the 129 minute version Scenes 41 through 44 in which Quentin goes to the tower room on his first night at Collinwood and a Gerard who reacts with "eyes blazing with hatred" sees that Quentin goes there are not included. The only things in any version of the film that give any idea Gerard is somehow angered by Quentin's arrival is when he asks Carlotta in Scene 51, "Do you know what happened last night? Do you?!" - Carlotta explains, "Everything has changed now. You must accept that" - he replies, "I was good enough until he came around. Now..." - and she insists, "Now listen! I want you to go to the stables. He'll be there soon to ride. I've told you that everything was different now." The audience doesn't really have any clue to be able to piece things together to understand what Gerard meant until Scenes 92 through 97 take place - and only if they remember that exchange with Carlotta.)

Next, a still that pops up seemingly all over the place (including that same 16 Magazine article, which is why -

(Click here for a 700X564 version)
The 16 Magazine caption for it reads: "In one of his grotesque visions of a time long gone, Quentin
"sees" Angelique (Lara Parker) trying to stop her husband
Gabriel (Christopher Pennock) as he's about to attack Charles
Collins (who Quentin realizes is himself) in a fit of jealous rage!"

- the caption for the first still says "Even in the present day, Quentin fights to defend himself
from one of Angelique's lovers."

But here's a rare version of Angelique's attack on Gabriel -

The caption for it reads: "A busy spirit, Angelique scratches the face
of Christopher Pennock (Gabriel) as he pre-
pares to launch an assault of his own."
Though shouldn't that have been "Lara Parker scratches the face
of Christopher Pennock (Gabriel)"  or "Angelique scratches the face
of Gabriel (Christopher Pennock)" - not what it is because it
associates a character with an actor...

- something that was also published as part of that same Daytime TV article the second Gerard still came from...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 17, 2021, 06:36:06 PM »
Before we get to today's quote, I want to mention that after I reread Reply #210 in "And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of) [**Now featuring alternate versions...", which I linked to back in Reply #285 of this topic, I realized that back in May of 2016 I should have not only pointed out that Quentin didn't fall onto the floor after Gerard's attack, but that he fell backward onto the couch. So, I've added a screen capture of that and altered the text:

- but when Gerard attacks him, Quentin doesn't fall onto the floor, he falls backward onto the couch -

- and he already sees -

- Gerard as Gabriel - and we see Angelique rush to scratch both the faces of Gabriel -

(You'll probably need to clear your browser's cache in order to see the correct screen captures.  [santa_smiley])

And interestingly enough, you may not have noticed because it goes by so fast, but the shot of Quentin falling backward onto the couch appears in the 30 second TV spot that I shared back in Reply #43. It appears after we see Charles' horse trampling (while killing Strack) and before Tracy screams (when Angelique moves in to attack her). It also appears in both the 1 minute and 2 minute trailers.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 17, 2021, 07:54:48 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 41/Scene 97 - Tracy: 'Quentin!...stop it! You'll kill him! Stop it!'

- check out -

Picking up with Scene 97:

- this post for differences as well as to conclude Scene 97 and move to Scene 98...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 18, 2021, 01:38:06 AM »
Here's a rare still from Scene 97 (before Scene 99 begins in the slideshow tomorrow):

(Click here for a 700X544 version)

It's funny that Gerard is the only one whose face you can't see in the screen capture for Tracy's quote -

- yet his is the only face you can see in the still...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 18, 2021, 02:42:08 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 42/Scene 99 - Quentin: 'Tracy! Tracy!'

- check out -

Continuing with the current sequence:

- this post as things move to Scene 99...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 19, 2021, 05:32:01 PM »

Page 42/Scene 99 - Carlotta: 'Mr. Collins! What happened?'

- check out -

Wrapping up Scene 99, first by picking up after Quentin realizes what he was doing to Tracy:

- this post, which also features Carlotta's reaction to what Quentin has done, along with the many differences between the way things are scripted and how they actually play in the film...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 19, 2021, 09:50:00 PM »
As you may recall, I posted publicity stills for Scene 99 back in August in Reply #53:

(Click here for a 1088X838 version)

- and like the Charles still, there's an alternate (and rare) version -

- but unlike anything I've shared so far, there's also an alternate (and rarer still) color version -

(Click here for a 700X476 version)

Although, in the time since I first made that post, I discovered I had a better version of the color still (the one I'd originally shared ended at Gerard's chin but the better one goes down further), so I replaced the original version with its better version. However, depending on how long it's been since you've cleared your browser's cache, you may need to do so the see the newer version.  [santa_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 20, 2021, 01:40:07 AM »
... There's also a color version as part of the NoDS Lobby Cards set ...

And here that is from back when I posted it in Reply #77:

(Click here for a 930X738 version)

Although, I have to say that I honestly prefer the still version:

(Click here for a 700X476 version)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 20, 2021, 05:46:50 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's first quote -

Page 42/Scene 100 - Quentin: 'I don't remember anything until I saw Gerard. I didn't recognize him. He shouldn't have been in the house.'

- and/or today's second quote -

Page 42/Scene 100 - Tracy: 'He simply thought he saw a light.'

- check out -

Setting up the next scene:

- this post for the differences from the script...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 21, 2021, 04:32:02 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's first quote -

Page 42/Scene 100B - Quentin: 'And what was I about to do to you?'

Page 42/Scene 100B - Tracy: 'You stopped when you realized what you were doing.'

- check out -

Continuing Scene 100, or rather Scene 100B because DC's script has a notation that Scene 100B begins after Tracy tells Quentin that Gerard simply thought he saw a light. And the first thing to come up after that is today's first quote -

- this post to also learn about some notations that didn't pan out...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 22, 2021, 04:16:20 PM »

Page 43/Scene 100B - Tracy (gets up, crosses to him): 'Don't worry about me...the important thing now is to figure out why it happened.'

- check out -

Continuing on with DC's B portion of Scene 100:

- this post for the many differences between the script and the actual scene...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 23, 2021, 03:42:18 PM »

Page 43/Scene 100B - Quentin: 'I know...and how are we going to do that?'

Page 43/Scene 100B - Tracy: 'Let's go to bed. I'm sure it'll seem easier tomorrow.'

- check out -

Wrapping up DC's B portion of Scene 100, beginning with Sunday's first quote, Quentin's response to Tracy saying the important thing is to figure out why what happened with Gerard actually happened -

- this post - and though today is not a Sunday, it was back in 2016 when the two quotes first ran - and please only read up to those first two quotes even though comments about them will be coming up later in the post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 24, 2021, 02:46:06 PM »

Page 43/Scene 100B - Quentin: 'Aren't you...afraid to sleep in the same room with me?'

- check out -

... followed by Monday's quote -

- this post - and though today is not a Monday, it was back in 2016 when that quote first ran - and please only read up to the first three quotes even though comments about them will be coming up later in the post...