Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 104307 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2021, 03:32:19 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of Saturday's quote -

Page 11/Scene 33 - Quentin: 'Is this one of the family?'

- and/or today's quote -

Page 11/Scene 33 - Carlotta: 'That's Angelique Collins. She died in 1810.'

- check out -

And more of Scene 33:

- this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2021, 06:16:46 PM »
Before continuing with the 25th, I want to jump ahead briefly to today because 50 years ago today was the last time I saw NoDS is a theater.

It's a bit odd that we chose a Sunday to go because, as you may have noticed, there was no discount at the Durfee Theatre on Sundays, tickets were $2. And while $2 would be a pittance to see a film today, it was a bit pricey back in the '70s - especially for kids who still only had an allowance. (For example, I saw literally hundreds of films at the local mall back in the '70s and I never paid more than $1.25 a showing.) Not to mention we'd only paid $2 a car when we went to the Ponta Drive-in.

But price was actually the smaller part of the oddness of the decision because buses didn't run on Sundays where I lived, and our parents all had commitments that Sunday and couldn't give us a ride, so we had to walk. And the funny thing is I remember that walk as if it was just yesterday - but then I've already said that I remember all the circumstances surrounding the three different days I went to see NoDS.  [wink2]

Though the good thing is we weren't going to have to walk home because my mother said she would pick us up at the theater around 9pm on her way home from the party she was going to, and that timing was perfectly fine with us because it meant we'd be able to see NoDS three more times that day.

And it probably won't surprise anyone that I still have the ticket stubs from all three trips to see NoDS:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2021, 01:48:19 AM »
And now, what awaited discovery in the outer lobby of the Durfee Theatre:

You may wonder why the outer lobby was so big or why there even was an outer lobby. Well, that was because the Durfee Theatre wasn't just a movie theater, it was also a stage theater. In between films, traveling stock plays and musicals sometimes played the theater, more often than not featuring big name stars. (Though sadly none of the plays Joan Bennett did on tour during her times away from DS ever played there. It would have been a huge hoot if one had.) And it wasn't just plays/musicals because in 1969 Lillian Gish hosted a retrospective of her silent films at the Durfee. The outer lobby was so big because that's where audiences gathered to wait before being allowed into the box office lobby to present their tickets for plays/musicals or to purchase tickets for plays/musicals/films.

But we're more interested in what the outer lobby's purpose was with regard to films, and that use was as a place to display lobby cards for the current film and to advertise posters for upcoming attractions. And something that dawned on me as I was preparing material for this post but foolishly never dawned on me back in '71 was that rather than sitting around wondering when NoDS was going to open, we could have simply checked out the outer lobby to see if NoDS was being advertised.  [6184]  During business hours the outer lobby was always opened to the public regardless of whether or not you intended to see a film or you didn't. And if you check out the photo, you'll notice a glass case in the middle of the wall on the left side. that's where the coming attractions posters were displayed.

But for the purposes of this post, we're more concerned with the case on the far right of the photo because that's where a film's lobby cards were displayed. And that's where I first saw the eight NoDS lobby cards. Most of you have probably also seen them. But I'm going to share them for those who may not have. But I'm going to post them in the order the scenes they feature come up in the film rather than in the order they're numbered. Here are the first four:

(Click here for a 930X738 version)
(Ever since reading Grayson Hall's NoDS script, I've often wondered if, rather than a photo that oddly seems to have been taken in the foyer when Carlotta actually greets Quentin and Tracy in the entry, this lobby card is actually from
this line of dropped dialogue
and DC decided they would move into the foyer before Carlotta delivered it?)

(The other color version I referred to in Reply #53.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2021, 01:52:30 AM »
The last four:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2021, 02:10:26 AM »
And in their numbered ordered they were displayed in the glass case in Durfee's outer lobby very similarly to like this (along with the 28 X 22 lobby card poster):

(Click here for a 1972X1189 version)

And from the minute I saw them I wanted to own my own copies, though I had no idea how that was going to happen. But lo and behold soon after I got an after school job I discovered Cinema Attic. They were a Philadelphia-based business that specialized in movie memorabilia and they advertised in the backs of '70s' TV and movie magazines (I'm sure most of you remember all those ads  [wink2]). You sent away for their catalogue and before long you knew if they carried merchandise from your favorite films. Their inventory was hugely extensive, so chances are they did - and they definitely carried loads of material from both DS films. But the very first thing I ordered was the NoDS Lobby Card set. And in September of '73 my hope of owning my own copies of the set became a reality!  [happy2]

(BTW, though, the copies I'm sharing here are not scans of my cards. Mine are in mint condition. These came from scans provided by the Heritage Auctions Web site, and I shared their scans because, despite a few imperfections, they're the best I've seen on the Internet when it comes to size and quality. I couldn't even scan my copies if I wanted to because, considering each card is 14 X 11, my scanner wouldn't scan the whole card...)

And just what is it that awaits in the box office lobby...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2021, 01:16:29 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 11/Scene 33 - Tracy: 'Every room I've been in, I've kept thinking - oh, this is where I'll spend most of my time. But this is it! The view's incredible.'

- check out -

And yet more of Scene 33, picking up where we left Quentin staring at Angelique's portrait:

- this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2021, 08:00:05 PM »
Briefly switching back to newspaper ads, this version of the A poster is the ad the Durfee Theatre ran throughout most of NoDS' run:

And the version I put together from the NoDS/hoDS Pressbooks:

And considering we've already seen the Durfee display three different versions of the A poster in various places, it's probably not a surprise they went with the A poster most days - and that bucked the trend that most other theaters in the area had set for their newspaper ads during the premiere run. But what might we see in the box office lobby? Only time will tell...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2021, 02:16:08 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 12/Scene 33 - Quentin: 'You know...I have a felling that I'll do better work here than I've ever done before...look at the color of that sunset!'

- check out -

And concluding Scene 33 and moving beyond within the sequence:

- this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2021, 08:48:50 PM »
And on this 50th anniversary of the last day NoDS played at the Durfee Theatre, we finally reach the box office lobby and what happened other and I discovered on the 25th. Here's a photo of that inner lobby:

The counter on the far right is where you purchased your tickets for the show. It's also where my friend asked if they had any of the souvenirs that had been handed out earlier in the month. I'm pretty sure the manager's wording was that the distributor no longer had any left for our area as they had all already been handed out. He didn't say only drive-ins and not indoor theaters had handed them out - but there was also no mention of indoor theaters having handed them out. And as I've said, none of the indoor theaters' newspaper ads in this area had advertised anything about handing out the souvenirs, so I suppose we can derive from all that what we will.

Another thing about this lobby that's worthy of note is also on the right side of the photo. You may have noticed the arch on the wall with a wooden structure that might look like it's a bench. Well, it was of sorts, but what it really was might surprise you because it was the frame to a fish pond. Yup, actual living fish swam around in their own little pond. It was a feature I suspect very few theaters ever had.

But what we're most interested in is the display case under the stairs to the balcony because that's where the next and final NoDS materials were displayed. On the right and left sections of the case some things that we'd already seen displayed out on the street were again displayed, the 14 X 36 A poster Insert Cards. However, the poster that was displayed in the center section was not the A poster but the B poster. The Durfee actually went with both, and it was very interesting to see color images of what we'd so often seen in the B&W newspaper ads, especially how really red the blood running from Collinwood was. It also struck as interesting that there seemed to be more blood in the NoDS B poster than there was in the hoDS B poster even though one might think it would have been the opposite given that hoDS was about vampires. But then, who were we to question the poster artists' visions?  [b003]

And here's a close interpretation of what the display looked like:

(Click here for a 1806X1202 version)

So, after taking in that display case, it was time to go inside the theater, pick out our seats, and look forward to seeing NoDS multiple more times...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2021, 02:32:19 PM »

Page 12/Scene 35 - Tracy (O.S.): 'It's almost like living in a museum, isn't it?'

- check out -

Oops - I just realized I jumped the gun and already discussed tomorrow's quote!  [snow_strange]

- this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2021, 02:28:23 PM »

Page 13/Scene 38 - Tracy: 'Darling, what's wrong? What are you thinking about?'

- check out -

Moving on to Scene 36 and beyond within the sequence:

- this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2021, 09:26:22 PM »
And BTW, lest anyone think that there won't be any more things posted in this topic except for quotes from the slideshow, I can assure there's plenty more to come. It's just that this week I've been busy with other things and haven't had the time to prepare anything more for posting. But definitely look for things next week...

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2021, 12:35:14 AM »
And BTW, lest anyone think that there won't be any more things posted in this topic except for quotes from the slideshow, I can assure there's plenty more to come. It's just that this week I've been busy with other things and haven't had the time to prepare anything more for posting. But definitely look for things next week...
Fantastic! Thank you!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2021, 10:16:22 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of Friday's quote -

Page 13/Scene 38 - Quentin: 'What? (turns to her) Oh, I don't know. Just ... daydreaming I guess.'

- and/or today's quote -

Page 13/Scene 39 - Tracy (O.S.): 'Come on, darling ... it looks delicious.'

- check out -

Continuing with Scene 38 and up to the end of the sequence:

- this post...

I can certainly understand Darren's point that the things that aren't in the film shouldn't be on the DVD/Blu-ray. But a part of me wishes the start of Carlotta's line when she comes back with the salad was still a part of it like is is a part of the version that's on Amazon Video.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2021, 02:20:16 PM »

Page 13/Scene 40 - Tracy: 'We're very naughty. We should have at least called the Jenkins'.'

- check out -

Setting up the new scene, which is part of a sequence in the script that is very different from the way it appears in the current version of the film:

- this post...