Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 104306 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #165 on: October 20, 2021, 03:38:15 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of Monday's first quote -

Page 27/Scene 67A - Charles: 'Did you enjoy watching us, my dearest wife?'

- and/or Monday's second quote -

Page 28/Scene 67A - Angelique: 'She must have...she didn't leave...'

- check out -

Continuing with Scene 67A:

- this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 21, 2021, 07:22:02 PM »
If you had a feeling that something about the photo used in yesterday's graphics for the slideshow looked -

- different from the cover of the DS Music Book (aside from a somewhat different tint in some of the colors) -

- when seeing them together the difference is obviously that candles in the candelabra were airbrushed out for the cover. Why? I suppose whoever did it felt the book's title would look better. A style choice to be sure (but more on that to come). And an interesting thing is that after the DS Music Book became available, the airbrushed version of the photo, minus the title/text, -

- became circulated, leading some, including myself, to believe that was the way the still from NoDS' piano scene should have appeared, and you'll also note that without the text it becomes clear that between the two frames in the background the wallpaper that's actually on the wall in that room was replaced during the airbrushing with, well, replaced with I don't know what to call it - it wasn't until after the DS Movies Book was published in 1998 and this appeared on page 215 to help to illustrate a portion of the script featuring part of Scene 67A -

- that I realized the candles had been airbrushed out (though I should have had I remembered something that I'll get into shortly) - and since that time various versions of the original still have appeared online - unfortunately, though, like this one -

(Click here for a 1280X1560 version)

- they've been cropped versions of the still...

But what is really fascinating is that back in May of 1996 when ShadowGram #76 shared an advance look at the cover of the DS Music Book, the candles -

- weren't airbrushed out, the wallpaper hadn't been altered, and, to me anyway, even given the title/text were placed in slightly different spots, it looks like the title was perfectly readable without the alterations to the still - but quite obviously someone thought otherwise at some point before the book was actually published...

(I wonder what the original cover markup with candles and correct wallpaper would go for if it ever surfaced?!)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2021, 05:00:58 PM »
Before we get back into the slideshow's quotes from Scene 67A and actually wrap up that scene, I want to get into something else members and long-time visitors to the forum may have noticed and that's that back in 2009 when we were doing a slideshow of the quotes from the Fest's 1999 Movies Calendar and then again in 2016 when we did a  slideshow devoted exclusively to NoDS, I'd used these graphics -

- for 2009 and 2016, respectively, to illustrate what was used of Laura's lines from Scene 67A. However, this time around I replaced the version of the still that I'd originally used with a much better version -

Interestingly enough, the version of the still that I originally used was published in the DS Movie Book but, oddly, its coloring was not correct. In the ensuing years since 2016 I've come across two different versions of varying quality that were shared online that feature the correct coloring, and after correcting for the angle in which the photo of the still was taken -

- when it was used so long ago on worthpoint.com to sell an autographed photo of Diana Millay that the details of the sale are no longer indicated, I went with that one...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2021, 12:18:08 AM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of Tuesday's quote -

Scene 67A - Laura: 'How...how incredible you are...the two of you...what you do...in this house...'

- and/or Wednesday's first quote -

Page 28/Scene 67A - Charles: 'In front of the family.'

- and/or Wednesday's second quote -

Page 28/Scene 67A - Angelique: (laughing) 'Who knows who sees us...think of the servants...'

- and/or yesterday's quote -

Page 28/Scene 67A - Laura: 'You are a witch! Charles, can't you see? Are you so mesmerized that you don't even know what's happening to you?'

- and/or today's quote -

Page 28/Scene 67A - Angelique: 'Oh, he knows what's happening, Laura my darling, and for the first time in his life he's really enjoying it...'

- check out -

Wrapping up Scene 67A, beginning with Friday's quote -

- this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2021, 12:12:06 AM »
Just a reminder:

And as I mentioned the other day, I'm going to hold off getting into how things are very different in Grayson's script until after we deal with Scene 68 in DC's script...

And if you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 28/Scene 68 - Tracy (O.S.): 'Darling, are you all right?'

- check out -

And setting up DC's script's version of Scene 68:

- this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 25, 2021, 04:20:02 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of Sunday's quote -

Page 28/Scene 68 - Quentin: 'Yes. Of course. Why wouldn't I be? I was just waiting for you.'

- check out -

And wrapping up DC's script's version of Scene 68, beginning with today's quote -

- this post...

And be sure to read -

As I mentioned back in reply #103, DC's script drops the last directions/descriptions line from Scene 66 (which as one will recall deals with Tracy and Quentin waking up), so we're going to pick up things in Grayson's script with that entire last paragraph:

- which deals with the original versions of Scenes 67 and 68...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 25, 2021, 08:36:00 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 28A/Scene 69 - Tracy: 'Come on. I don't care if it is dangerous. I want to look inside.'

- check out -

Today's scene:

- this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2021, 09:54:30 PM »
Before we move on to today's quote in the slideshow, I'd like to share the full still that I used for yesterday's graphic:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 27, 2021, 12:34:04 AM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 29/Scene 70 - Quentin (O.S.): (putting on airs, kidding) 'I'm getting bored. Shall we have drinks on the veranda?'

- check out -

And today's scene:

- this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 27, 2021, 11:40:15 PM »
And before we move on to today's quote in the slideshow, I'd like to share the full and unretouched still that I used for yesterday's and today's graphic:

(Click here for a 478X700 version)

As you've probably guessed, the reason I'd retouched it was because the script describes:

HOLD FOR a
       moment until in the distance, seen through the
       distortion of the greenhouse glass, the figure of
       a girl in a long period dress stands watching them.

The real effect probably isn't like the one I used - but without the actual footage to work with, it's an approximation...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 28, 2021, 04:26:02 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of yesterday's quote -

Page 29/Scene 70 - Tracy (O.S.): (joyfully laughing) 'Oh! I can't stand it! What a way to live!'

- check out -

Wrapping up Scene 70 and moving beyond it, beginning with today's quote -

- this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2021, 09:44:40 PM »
Because today and tomorrow's graphics in the slideshow are for a scene that was most likely never shot and, therefore, has no still/screen capture featured in them, I'm going to be sharing some stills associated with Scene 69. So, before we move on to today's quote in the slideshow, here are two:

First up, a not exactly rare still, but definitely a very nice one:

(Click here for a 1630X1157 version)

But then, here's a fairly rare one:

(Click here for a 700X548 version)

I have to confess that ever since seeing that book entitled Mayfair being used as a prop, I've wonder why it was used? Was it being implied that Quentin was simply interested in the Mayfair section of London, or was there an artist named Mayfair whose work the prop department or even Selby himself felt Quentin might be interested in and/or influenced by? However, if the latter was the case, I've never been able to come across an artist named Mayfair, one who painted abstract art or otherwise. I suppose it may forever remain a mystery...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 28, 2021, 09:56:52 PM »

Page 29/Scene 73 - Claire: 'We're going to town. It's about time I showed her the shops.'

- check out -

Starting off Scene 73:

- this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 29, 2021, 08:34:15 PM »
Before we move on to today's quote in the slideshow, here are some more stills related to Scene #69:

First up, from page 34 of the 30th Anniversary Tribute version of the DS Almanac, here's a still of DC directing the scene:

The lady wearing the kerchief is DC's assistant Debbie Smith.

And here's a rarely seen still of DC directing:

As I've mentioned before, I love Selby just lying there eating an apple!  [hall_wink]

And finally here's a very rare still:

(Click here for a 700X476 version)

It's interesting that the script says Quentin is seen "busily sketching Tracy" yet he's not seen doing so in any of the stills I've ever come across. Though we do see his sketch pad in the second still I shared yesterday - and we do see Tracy fiddling with one of his paint brushes in the still above...

And there are some more stills related to shooting at the greenhouse, but I'm going to hold off sharing those until we reach Scenes 107-110...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2021, 12:14:44 AM »

Page 29/Scene 73 - Quentin: 'I've got to start doing some work. Do you realize we've been here over a week now?'

- check out -

Wrapping up Scene 73:

- this post...