Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 104154 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #300 on: December 25, 2021, 06:00:00 AM »
The decaying skull of Angelique wishes you a Merry Ghostly Christmas!!

(And if you're wondering what the tree casting its glow on the poster really looks like, here it is, my home office tree, decorated with red [hence the red glow] and white lights and red and silver ornaments.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 25, 2021, 03:14:08 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 43/Scene 100B - Tracy (hugging him): 'No...darling...no...'

- check out -

... followed by today's quote -

- this post to learn all the things that are different between the script and how things actually play in the film...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 25, 2021, 04:56:39 PM »
Before we move beyond Scene 100 I have a rare still to share. I've often wondered if it should be associated with the end of Scene 99 -

- or Scene 100 -

- and while I've leaned more toward Scene 100, as can be seen in today's screen capture, Tracy actually comes across as being more lighthearted -

- or at least being that way to console Quentin, than she is in the still because in it she seems quite concerned -

- and Quentin seems to be consoling her - but still, it does seem closer to what we get at the end of Scene 100 - and I strongly suspect that most of the stills were taken before the actual footage of the scenes was shot, perhaps even during rehearsals when they were trying out things that didn't actually make it into the film, which would explain why some stills are quite different from what we get in the film - though there's also the possibility that footage more similar to those stills was shot, but it just wasn't used in the film - and in the case of the still here, perhaps after Tracy put on a good front for Quentin, she did take on a more concerned demeanor but that footage, if it was shot, wasn't used - something that might even point to that concern could be upcoming Scene 104 - but more on that once we reach that scene...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 26, 2021, 01:34:46 AM »
Before we deal with tomorrow's quote, it would probably be a good idea to read this post -

Before we get into DC's script's version of Scenes 101 & 102, this is what Grayson's script's version is like:

- as well as this post -

Also before we get into DC's script's version of Scenes 101 & 102, we should reacquaint ourselves with Scene 67 in Grayson's script:

Why is that? Well, as we'll soon see, and you might have already picked up on your own, when the original versions of Scenes 67 & 68 were replaced with Scenes 66A, 67, 67A(the "Piano Scene" Flashback), & 68 in DC's script, bits of dialogue from original Scene 67 were incorporated into DC's script's rewritten version of Scene 101 - and an entirely new Scene 101A was added:

- to familiarize yourself with what's mentioned in the two links...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 26, 2021, 02:44:35 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 44/Scene 102 - Gabriel: 'You will have her ... for eternity.'

- check out -

With the exception of also being set in the Master Bedroom and its opening set up, Scene 101 is totally different in DC's script from the way it originally appeared in Grayson's. And furthermore, as we know only too well, in the film as it stands DC's versions of Scenes 101 & 102 (& the upcoming 103) are all incorporated into the unscripted dream Quentin has on his first night at Collinwood rather than standing alone as they do in the script.

- this post to learn all the things that are very different in the film from how they appear in Grayson's and DC's scripts...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 27, 2021, 03:00:54 AM »
A still for Scene 102:

(Click here for a 700X542 version)

And an interesting thing about it is that Gabriel's henchman on the right in the still doesn't seem to be either of the two men who play his henchmen in the film in Scene 101A:

Actually, the mustached henchmen in the film certainly seems to be wearing the shirt that the henchman in the still is wearing - the second henchman in the film is wearing a completely different type of shirt with a collar. Also, unlike the film, nowhere in the still is a flaming torch seen. (Though if you look really closely at the still, you'll notice that the mustached henchmen does actually but just barely make an appearance in the still behind Charles and to his front side...)

And when it comes to this still, the only place I'm aware that it's been shared is on page 233 of the DS Movie Book - though this still is a much better version...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 27, 2021, 04:36:31 AM »
I may have mentioned this before but the henchman on the right really reminds me of Micky Dolenz.

[8_2_76] [8_2_76] [8_2_76]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 27, 2021, 04:02:05 PM »
 [pointing-up]  Yes, now that you mention it, the henchman in the still does look like Mickey Dolenz.

Here's a theory: maybe MD was passing through Tarrytown, he was a big DS fan, he heard they were shooting another DS film at Lyndhurst, he dropped by, and they decided to stick him and not the real extra in the still they were shooting that day. Well, not really. But it would have been a real hoot if it did happen.  [santa_cheesy]

The interesting thing is that different henchmen extras appearing in different things related to the film is something that definitely happened when it comes to an upcoming sequence. But we'll get into that once we reach that part of the script...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 27, 2021, 05:07:38 PM »
Speaking of henchmen, Captain Haggerty/Arthur Haggerty, who played the bald henchman and was also the dog handler, popped up as another henchman in the music video for Deborah Harry's Liar Liar. He is accompanied by none other than Al Lewis, the once and forever Grandpa Munster!!
[banana-santa] [banana-santa] [banana-santa]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 28, 2021, 02:40:39 AM »
Before we get into today's quote from Scene 103, I want to revisit something I wrote back in 2016 about the end of Scene 102:

And if we might go back to Scene 102, yesterday I forgot to mention that the subtitles on the Blu-ray indicate that after having sealed Charles in the cellar room, Gabriel orders an unscripted "Kill Dubloon!" - and it does indeed sound like that's what he says. But unless someone has read some version of the NoDS script, they would have no idea that Dubloon is the name of Charles' horse because all the scenes referencing the name of his horse were cut from the film as it stands now (and even from the 97 minute version). And I have to say that, yes, of course a human's life is more valuable than that of a horse - but, whoa, killing one's brother and his horse really shows how insanely vindictive Gabriel is. And one has to wonder just how Gabriel got away without the ghosts of Angelique, Charles, and even Dubloon( [ghost_wink]) taking revenge on Gabriel. But hey, maybe Angelique and Charles were just so happy to be reunited that they didn't care. And obviously the film didn't want to go down that road. But one can only hope that Gabriel's subsequent life is a completely miserable one...

Even over five years later I haven't gotten over how insanely vindictive NoDS Gabriel is, far worse than his TV show counterparts. Sure, Dubloon played a major part in the killing of Strack - but it was Charles who was behind that killing and he was the one who steered and led Dubloon to trample Strack. It wasn't like Dubloon went off and did it on his own to avenge his master's mistress. I joked that it was a wonder that Dubloon's ghost didn't come back to seek revenge against Gabriel, but really, someone should actually do a fanfic like that to give Dubloon some satisfaction against Gabriel's viciousness...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 28, 2021, 04:28:07 AM »

Page 44/Scene 103 - Quentin (mumbling in his sleep): 'I can't breathe...I can't...breathe...'

- check out -

Moving on to today's scene:

- this post to once again learn all the things that are very different in the film from how they appear in Grayson's and DC's scripts - and when it comes to what Quentin actually does mumble, watch the opening section of Scene 103 at the end of the video posted in Reply #305 to see what you think he's saying...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 28, 2021, 04:52:00 PM »

Page 44/Scene 103 - Tracy: 'Quentin...Quentin? What's wrong?'

- check out -

Wrapping up Scene 103:

- this post to yet again learn all the things that are very different in the film from how they appear in the scripts - plus how in its proper place in the script Scene 103 takes on far more significance for Tracy's character than it does as the aftermath of Quentin's dream, as it's used in the 94 and 97 minute versions of the film...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 29, 2021, 04:24:01 PM »

Page 45/Scene 104 - Tracy: 'Oh, you're wearing them.'

- check out -

Setting up the new scene:

- this post to learn how the beginning section of Scene 104 may have been shot (Darren probably did show the recovered footage during his 2004 presentation, but even if he did, having only seen it that one time, I have no memory of how it might have played)...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 29, 2021, 06:44:07 PM »
Given that this slideshow originally played over five years ago, you may not realize that today's graphic -

- is a new and improved version from the one that appeared in 2016 -

- and that's because in the ensuing time I came across the actual still and didn't have to rely on the version that was shared in the DS Movie Book on page 177. It's odd how the color photos in that book tend to scan with a yellowish tint, plus they don't scan completely clearly. And the actual still shows more (though all of its appearances in the slideshow's graphics are cropped)...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 30, 2021, 03:44:25 PM »

Page 45/Scene 104 - Quentin: 'I just came from the stable. I apologized to Gerard.'

- check out -

Continuing with Scene 104, beginning with Quentin's reaction to Tracy noticing that he's wearing the riding breeches:

- this post to learn how this section of Scene 104 may have been shot, as well as the start of Charles making an incursion into Quentin's waking hours...