Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 107134 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #435 on: March 13, 2022, 04:46:57 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 60/Scene 119 - Laura: 'Do you want a mob outside this house? A mob with firebrands?'

- check out -

Moving along with Scene 119:

- this post and to learn about the differences in the dialogue and the way the delivery of the quote is shot, and about a note in DC's script...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 14, 2022, 05:34:44 PM »
Here's an alternative version of what I've shared in Replys #430 and #432 -

- it appears on page 141 of the DS Almanac 30th Anniversary Tribute and that's the only place I'm aware of it appearing...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 14, 2022, 09:20:02 PM »
([pointing-up]  Speaking of page 141 of that book, I've been meaning to post about this for years but at least I'm finally getting to it. There's a photo in the second row of photos on that page that may not really be associated with NoDS. And the reason I question it is because that exact same photo of Nancy Barrett is part of a whole series of photos, with her wearing the exact same clothes, that are a part of a February of 1972 TV by Day article: Page141_r2.jpg, MMMO-1.jpg, MMMO-2.jpg, MMMO-3.jpg. Now, that alone wouldn't be enough to question things because the magazine could have easily used already available photos of Nancy, but the thing is she also appears on the cover of that issue with her The Doctors costar Gerald Gordon and she's also wearing the exact same clothes: TVbyDay.jpg. If those photos were taken on the Lyndhurst grounds during the production of NoDS, what would Gerald Gordon have been doing there, particularly when Nancy didn't start on The Doctors until a month after NoDS had wrapped production? And I suppose Nancy could have worn the same clothes for a separate cover shoot so that her look would coordinate (right down to wearing the same locket) with the article's photos - but how likely is that?)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 16, 2022, 02:52:57 AM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of yesterday's quote -

Page 60/Scene 119 - Strack: 'I promise you it will come to that. And soon. The strange death of Reverend Herridge. After his sermon denouncing her --'

- and/or today's quote -

Page 60/Scene 119 - Laura: 'You yourself heard her say she would settle with him for that --'

- check out -

Picking up Scene 119 where we left off, with yesterday's quote, Strack's response to the possibility of mobs with firebrands gathering outside Collinwwod -

- this post to also learn about the differences in the dialogue, as well as an observation about how Diana Millay portray's Laura's, uh, interesting demeanor as Strack delivers his quoted lines...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 16, 2022, 04:20:04 PM »
Before moving on to today's quotes, in case you're only following the posts I'm linking to in the "And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of) [**Now featuring alternate versions..." topic, you may want to check out the following ones which wonder about whether or not Angelique really was a witch

The dialogue in the scene at hand now is interesting because, to me at least, it strongly implies that Angelique Collins (in NoDS) really was a Witch. ...
I was saving this discussion until after we finish the script.  [ghost_smiley]  But...
I think that if Angelique had turned out not to be a witch...
It will be interesting after we get through the whole script. ...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 16, 2022, 08:44:14 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's first quote -

Page 60/Scene 119 - Gabriel: 'But the scandal...'

- and/or today's second quote -

Page 60/Scene 119 - Laura: 'There will be no scandal.'

- check out -

Continuing Scene 119 with today's first quote -

- this post to also learn about the differences in the dialogue, about a note in DC's script, as well as something that is not indicated in the script...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 17, 2022, 04:30:12 PM »
Here's a reminder of a still from Scene 119 that was previously posted in Reply #38:

(Click here for a 540X700 version)

Take note that it's in keeping with the previous stills posted and not with the way the scene is actually shot...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 18, 2022, 12:40:18 AM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 60/Scene 119 - Strack: 'We have selected four men from the estate, all of whom have seen proof of her witchcraft...they have sworn to remain silent forever.'

- check out -

Continuing Scene 119 with today's quote -

- this post and to learn about the differences in the dialogue and about a note in DC's script...

It's also interesting how Strack's quote, even how it's delivered in the film, would certainly seem to provide proof that Angelique is a witch. But...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 18, 2022, 03:24:01 PM »
More witch speculation:

...  It's intriguing to imagine a version of the story where...
It's intriguing to imagine...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 19, 2022, 12:44:54 AM »

Page 60/Scene 119 - Laura: 'Gabriel -- if we must, we'll do it without you.'

- check out -

Continuing Scene 119 with today's quote -

- this post and to read my comments about how I love the way Diana Millay delivers her line and my speculation about Laura's part in all this...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 19, 2022, 02:54:06 PM »
This next still, a somewhat cropped version of which appears on page 110 of the DS Companion, is more in keeping with the way Scene 119 was actually shot:

(Click here for a 700X900 version)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 19, 2022, 11:14:07 PM »

Page 60/Scene 119 - Strack: 'The evil must be driven from the land -- before it destroys us all.'

- check out -

Wrapping up Scene 119 and moving beyond (using Grayson's script), beginning with today's quote -

- this post and to learn the differences in the dialogue and the way this section is shot along with a notation in DC's script.

Also, the original slideshow for NoDS included this line -

NoDS: Scene #119 - Gabriel: 'You're right. There is no
other way.'

- because it was quoted in the Fest's 1999 Movie Calendar, upon which the original slideshow is based...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 20, 2022, 03:52:00 PM »
Before we move completely past Scene 119, here's a rare alternate version of Gabriel and Strack -

The Daytime TV caption for it reads: "Thayer David (Rev. Strack) convinces
Gabriel that his wife Angelique must
be destroyed. Part of flashback segment.

- something that was also published as part of that same Daytime TV article that I've shared portions of in Reply #124 (Angelique on the stairs), Reply #286 (Gerard wielding his club), Reply #287 (Angelique scratching Gabriel), and Reply #414 (Quentin confronting Carlotta). (And even more from that article is yet to come, more fairly soon, and actually it's two that are not so soon...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 20, 2022, 08:32:00 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's first quote -

Page 61/Scene 121 - Gabriel: 'What of my brother Charles?'

- and/or today's second quote -

Page 61/Scene 121 - Strack: 'He must learn the lesson of the damned. He shall watch her die.'

- check out -

Dealing with the next two scenes in the sequence (using Grayson's script):

- this post to also learn about how Scene 121 is actually shot/edited, about Laura's wide-eyed expressions to Angelique's fate being sealed, and about a note in DC's script...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 21, 2022, 07:40:00 PM »
beyond the obvious that in the actual scene at no point do Gabriel, Laura and Strack ever stand in proximity to each other in the way they do in the still, see if you can spot other differences as the actual scene plays out...

Now that the sequence has completely played out, here are three huge hints via three of the screen caps displayed in the slideshow and/or posted in the "And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of) [**Now featuring alternate versions..." topic:

Coming up shortly, the next sequence in the 1810 flashback...