Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 107198 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #225 on: November 16, 2021, 05:36:10 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 33/Scene 83 - Tracy: 'It's very me ... but it's completely un-Quentin.'

- check out -

Wrapping up Scene 83, ...

- up to the third quote in this post...

And I wonder if that "insane dress" Gregory "whips out" and is "so perfect" for and "very" Tracy but "completely un-Quentin" would have been the same dress that Tracy wears in upcoming Scene 88 (as well as the deleted upcoming Scene 87)?

(Click here for a 452X700 version)

True, the script doesn't reference Tracy actually buying it. But then the script doesn't reference Claire buying the dress she wears in Scene 88 (and Scene 87), but Alex reacts to it as if it is new. So...

But if it is the dress, even though it doesn't seem outlandish, it is formal. And yes, formal would definitely seem to be "un-Quentin" because, if we can judge by much of what he wears throughout most of the film, the man has never come across a denim shirt he hasn't fallen in love with and bought.  [hall2_grin]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 16, 2021, 07:42:16 PM »
I guess that it could be considered outlandish, compared to some of the off the rack stuff from Ohrbach's. Maybe it's just me but I felt that Claire and Alex seemed a lot more hip than Tracy and Quentin.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2021, 01:46:07 AM »
And for these final three days things are switching to Angelique publicity stills that were taken in the tower room. First up:

And to my memory the only place that still has appeared is in the NoDS Pressbook as part of the following article -

- and that article might explain the body language Lara Parker exhibits in the stills in Reply #222 and especially Reply #216.

And fair warning to pay close attention to the publicity stills because they may come in handy because there may be a quiz down the line...  [hall2_wink]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 17, 2021, 02:13:24 AM »
That shot of Lara is one of the first things that I purchased for my collection back in 1971. I don't know how I discovered it but MGM had a still department that you could buy stuff from. They were very nice to deal with. If you asked for an image from a particular scene, they would do their best to accommodate you. I bought about eight or nine pictures from them before the NYC office shut down in 1972 or so, probably due to MGM's financial problems. I might have bought more, except that the price was high for the time. A huge $1.25 apiece!
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 17, 2021, 04:32:02 PM »
I guess that it could be considered outlandish, compared to some of the off the rack stuff from Ohrbach's.

So true. Although there is that yellow dress that Liz even wears in hoDS...

Maybe it's just me but I felt that Claire and Alex seemed a lot more hip than Tracy and Quentin.

You have a point. As the film stands, because Scene 82 was never shot, we have no idea that the Jenkins, or at least Claire, met Quentin in Paris, and because Scene 83 was never shot, we have no idea that Tracy seemingly lived in New York City. For all we know as far as Quentin goes, all of his life he remained "around" and "mean and surly" wherever he was born until some point before he met and married Tracy. But at least with Tracy we do learn that she presumably has some exceptional knowledge about Early American artists to the point that Alex seeks her advice about seeing a gallery owner in New York who's an expert on the subject.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2021, 06:34:48 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote (Gregory's response to Tracy mentioning Quentin) -

Page 33/Scene 83 - Gregory: 'The husband, darling?'

- check out -

Wrapping up Scene 83, ...

- up to the fourth quote in this post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 18, 2021, 01:18:00 AM »
Two Angelique publicity stills that were taken in the tower room:

(Click here for a 807X1000 version)

(Click here for a 700X487 version)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 18, 2021, 03:34:31 PM »
That shot of Lara is one of the first things that I purchased for my collection back in 1971.

I can certainly understand why you would want it because I love it too. I also love the top still in Reply #231 above. In fact, I had Lara autograph an 8X10 of it at the 1989 DS Fest and ever since it's been proudly displayed on a shelf in the bookcase in my home office.  [hall2_wink]

I don't know how I discovered it but MGM had a still department that you could buy stuff from. They were very nice to deal with. If you asked for an image from a particular scene, they would do their best to accommodate you. I bought about eight or nine pictures from them before the NYC office shut down in 1972 or so, probably due to MGM's financial problems.

That sounds similar to how Cinema Attic operated. As I've mentioned, I bought a lot of NoDS stuff from them back in the '70s. And as far as stills were concerned, you could write to ask how many stills they had featuring certain actors from a certain film and they would not only provide a number but a mimeo page or mimeo pages of thumbnails of the actual stills so that you'd know exactly what you'd be purchasing.

I might have bought more, except that the price was high for the time. A huge $1.25 apiece!

LOL!

Though what's really funny is that I don't even remember how much I paid Cinema Attic for any of the stuff I bought from them. It was almost 50 years ago, so I'm sure that has something to do with it, however, back in the '90s I also bought quite a bit of stuff from Jerry Ohlinger's Movie Material Store in NYC and I couldn't tell you how much I paid for that stuff either.  [hall2_grin]  In both cases I was just happy that I could afford the things I bought. And in the case of Ohlinger's the things I bought were nice souvenirs from my trips to NYC...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 18, 2021, 05:12:48 PM »
My BFF Helen and I used to make regular trips into NYC just to Jerry Ohlinger's. They had, as I remember, five separate books of DS stills. Original series color. Original series black and white. House. Night. And the NBC show. There were photos of virtually every actor connected with DS. I think that the 8x10's were $5.00 each. I know that I usually dropped at least $100 each time I went, with the DS stuff and a fair amount of Nancy Sinatra and Deborah Harry pictures as well.
My favorite memory involves a vintage shot of TLATKLS. I didn't think that it was that bad a photo but she apparently didn't care for it. There was a Post It note next to the picture with this written in bold: WILL NOT SIGN THIS.  [hall2_rolleyes] [hall2_grin] [hall2_rolleyes]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 18, 2021, 06:36:04 PM »
My BFF Helen and I used to make regular trips into NYC just to Jerry Ohlinger's.

I can certainly understand why because they had some great stuff!  [hall2_wink]

I think that the 8x10's were $5.00 each.

That sounds about right.

I know that I usually dropped at least $100 each time I went

I definitely had to limit myself to $100 because otherwise I could have spent insanely. Some people might think $100 was insane - but most times I was in NY for a DS Fest, so I'd budgeted just how much I could spend on DS memorabilia for the entire trip and no more than $100 would be Ohlinger's share.

My favorite memory involves a vintage shot of TLATKLS. I didn't think that it was that bad a photo but she apparently didn't care for it. There was a Post It note next to the picture with this written in bold: WILL NOT SIGN THIS.  [hall2_rolleyes] [hall2_grin] [hall2_rolleyes]

Why doesn't that surprise me?  [hall2_grin]  But to be fair I think sometimes we all wish certain photos of us didn't exist but no one else seems to see anything wrong with them...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 18, 2021, 08:50:30 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's first quote -

Page 34/Scene 83 - Claire: 'Gregory, wrap it up. We'll take it.'

- and/or today's second quote -

Page 34/Scene 83 - Tracy: 'Alright, but only if we can return it.'

- check out -

Wrapping up Scene 83 ...

- everything after the fourth quote in this post. And that's the end of Scene 83...

However, for reasons that will become obvious in the links to follow, be sure to read these two posts -

We're going to handle things a bit differently for this next sequence because when it comes to the beginning of Scene 85, it's different in the film from the way it appears in both Grayson's and DC's scripts - especially DC's. And the fascinating thing is that DC's script contains a major rewrite, yet none of the rewritten part made it into the film. But to kick things off, this is the way Scene 84 and the beginning of Scene 85 appear in Grayson's script:

When it comes to DC's script, Scene 84 and the setting and first descriptions of Scene 85 are exactly the same as they are in Grayson's script, so I won't repeat them. Things get very different once DC's script reaches its Page 35:

- before getting into tomorrow's first quote from Scene 85...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 19, 2021, 01:36:00 AM »
And the last of the stills to preview Scene 85, two more Angelique publicity stills that were taken in the tower room:

(Click here for a 1481X1000 version)

I forgot to mention yesterday that the bottom still in Reply #231 was published on page 188 of DS: Return to Collinwood. And the bottom still in this post was published as October's photo in the Fest's 1999 Movie Calendar. However, so far as I know, the other two photos haven't been officially published anywhere...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 19, 2021, 01:54:36 AM »
The Ohlinger's store always seemed to be in a state of disorganization and chaos. But if any of the staff needed to locate some arcane piece of memorabilia, Jerry invariably knew where to find it. He passed away in 2018. But I was very pleasantly surprised to see that the store is still in business. Probably one of the last of its kind.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 19, 2021, 07:50:02 PM »
If you've already read the two posts linked to at the end of Reply #235 and you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 35/Scene 85 - Angelique: 'You must finish it because when you do, you will give me the most marvelous gift of all -'

- check out -

The way Scene 85 actually begins in the film isn't with the transition in Scene 84 from Quentin's view of the unfinished painting to a view of it in 1810 because, like several other instances of the subconscious memory scenes, things actually cut to a close-up of Quentin -

- up to the point in this post where I share what Angelique actually says in the film rather than the above quote from DC's script...

Also, if you'd like to watch the opening 29 seconds of Scene 85, here's a link to video of it which I posted back in Reply #12:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 20, 2021, 06:58:00 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 35/Scene 85 - Angelique: 'We are in each other's souls, Charles. We can't escape it.'

- check out -

The way Scene 85 actually begins in the film ...

- up to the point in this post where I share the second instance of what Angelique actually says in the film rather than the above quote from DC's script...