Author Topic: Dark Shadows: New Audio Dramas from Big Finish  (Read 80028 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: Dark Shadows: New Audio Dramas from Big Finish
« Reply #450 on: February 11, 2012, 11:33:10 PM »
Listened to The Blind Painter last night, was okay. RD did pretty good, though in the beginning he talked a little too fast at points and I really had to concentrate to listen to what he was saying.

[spoiler]
By the time Eloise showed up though, he had mellowed out his performance a little. The whole beginning half I was listening, I was getting frustrated about the bestower of Charles' gifts, but they ironed that out later. I must say that when Petofi finally did show up, the actor's performance went off the rails CRAZY and I was almost laughing at it. Petofi never sounded that manic. I did laugh though at the gypsies. Oh man, I hope whomever did that voice had listened to Grayson and Thayer to catch their speech patterns, because it was spot on. The end was a little.... yeah, okay.
[/spoiler]

Interested in some of the ones being released this year, it seems #23 The House by the Sea doesn't feature any of the original or 90s cast. (But does feature Colin Baker of Dr. Who fame.) Could be an interesting way to branch out the series and characters, but also hangs on the fact that not having the actual cast of DS may make some people uninterested.

I must also say that I hope they fill in some of the missing years with Alec Newman because I totally love his performance.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 28, 2012, 09:39:33 PM »
Colin Baker has done some amazing audio workwith BF, so I trust that this story will be good, but I do think that an original cast member shouldn't been the second voice to anchor the story. Perhaps this will help bring in more Who listeners to checking out DS.
They announced today that April's release, Dress Me in Black, will star Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Amber Benson (Tara) as young Judith, with Terry Crawford as Edith. I am SO stoked for this. Love both actresses, and Judith and Edith are both really interesting characters that have lots of potential to be explored.
This also would seem to open up the possibilites of Amber playing young Liz or Naomi in future audios as well.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #452 on: February 29, 2012, 05:39:04 AM »
Ooo sweet! Terry Crawford returning as Edith? Definitely count me in for that!

David

« Reply #453 on: February 29, 2012, 07:13:03 AM »
RE: Edith: they REALLY need to do a drama that explains how she died in 1840 but was seen in 1897.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #454 on: May 17, 2012, 08:40:07 PM »
Sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it. Has Big Finish stopped releasing their dramas as download files because #25 The Eternal Actress is out with no link to purchase the files as themselves.

Also I just wanted to mention that The House by the Sea was excellent and probably one of my top 3 in the series so far.

Offline MikeS

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 17, 2012, 10:26:38 PM »
Arashi - I purchased the CD earlier today, and the free download has not yet appeared in my list.  Not sure how long it takes for the download to become available after the CD is released.  I haven't heard anything about no longer being able to purchase the dramas as downloads.

Totally agree about "The House By the Sea" - although "The Night Whispers" remains my favorite!

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #456 on: May 18, 2012, 09:30:16 PM »
Thanks Mike! Checking back today it's still not up. I wonder if they're going to stagger releases?

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 18, 2012, 09:34:42 PM »
My guess is that the delay is a temporary one. They had some problems with downloads when they switched over to their new website. I think there're probably some growing pains there. I expect it will be fixed soon and probably glitch free by next month.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #458 on: May 25, 2012, 06:44:15 AM »
I reckon this is as good a place as any to pop in with this — a little piece on my blog about the music from the Big Finish audio dramas.

The Blog Where Horror Dwells: Music From the Shadows

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 05, 2012, 06:52:23 AM »
Looks like several new audios have been released over the last 6 months or so. Anyone picked any of them up yet? Any recommendations?

And has anyone heard any news about upcoming releases for 2013?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 05, 2012, 04:36:31 PM »
"Operation Victor" is a Quentin story that is kind of like a comic book in tone. It's set during WWII and involves a mad scientist who has plans for world domination. I found it to be very entertaining. It's hokey in the same way the Adam story was with Nicholas and his plans.

In "Speak No Evil", a carnival comes to town. Tad Collins becomes involved in a plot that's both sad and sadistic. It does not have any familiar DS actors. If you are a Doctor Who fan, the guy who plays Rory is Tad. I had forgotten this and thought he was an American! 

"The Last Stop" is a Tony Peterson story about a train that gets detoured. It's chilling.  Lara has a cameo.

"Dreaming of the Water" is a story starring KLS in a dual role and Christopher Pennock as Sebastian Shaw. It attempts to bridge the gap between where we see Sebastion in 1970 and where he windes up in "Return to Collinwood".

I enjoyed them all. The last one is obviously the best for people who are not a fan of the idea of bringing in new actors to the DS universe. I got caught up in the story of "Speak No Evil" and forgot that none of the actors had never been on DS before, but then I always loved fanfic that dealt with filling in the gaps between time periods. These stories often featured new characters and situations.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 06, 2012, 04:12:57 AM »
Operation Victor was fun in a hokey way, I agree, but it wasn't one of my favorites.
Speak No Evil is great. Arthur Darvill was excellent as the complicated bad boy Tad, and the creepy carnival backdrop worked really well. I hope we hear more from Darvill in DS, as Tad and possibly other characters.
The Last Stop was really spooky and dark. I wish there had been more Angelique, but admit the story was strong without her.
Dreaming of the Water was good. It lacked a surprise twist I felt the story needed, but did succeed in giving us the backstory for Sebastian and developing him as a dangerous man that I'd like to hear more from.
Next release involves a married couple in possesion of a gramaphone that Quentin speaks thru - perhaps when he was a ghost?
December's release is A Collins Christmas, and features Jameson Selby as Jameson Collins, soon after the death of his wife, with Ivanka Omaov and other supporting guest sars.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #463 on: January 21, 2013, 07:45:01 AM »
I'm downloading my purchase of The Haunted Refrain as I type this. I scanned through upcoming releases and didn't see any DS stories listed from now through June 2014. This can always change, but does anyone know if they have any plans for further releases? It would be a damn shame to leave us with that excellent cliffhanger in Kingdom of the Dead. I think we were spoiled this year with a new release every month.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 21, 2013, 10:36:24 AM »
Yup.