Author Topic: Dark Shadows: New Audio Dramas from Big Finish  (Read 80072 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows: New Audio Dramas from Big Finish
« Reply #225 on: January 03, 2008, 07:41:04 PM »
what's the difference? I mean i'm a bit confused. i want the entire story NOT just part of it. ya know?

I think I'm a little confused by your question, but hopefully this will help.  The audio dramas are what was originally referred to as DS Reborn.  Season 1, which consists of 4 separate stories, is available at www.darkshadowsreborn.com (which is well represented here on the Forums) as well as www.bigfinish.com.  If you're going to begin purchasing them, I think the first story in the series, "The House of Despair," is a must (besides being the most nostalgic). The 5th CD, The Legend Reborn, is a behind the scenes documentary about the continuation series.  I believe Season 2 is currently in production.

The audio books are 2-part abridged recordings of Lara Parker's "Angelique's Descent." which is no longer in print.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 05, 2008, 05:15:04 AM »
what? that's out of print? that like JUST came out NOT long ago! i NEVER saw it in ANY store when & i did look!  [8311]

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #227 on: January 05, 2008, 05:58:30 AM »
what's the difference? I mean i'm a bit confused. i want the entire story NOT just part of it. ya know?

I'm not exactly sure what type of answer you're looking for, but I'll take a whack at it.

As the others have mentioned, the CDs that are produced by Big Finish are not a "continuation" of the show, after the last episode, per se, but they are supposed to be considered canon, or so I was led to believe. I mean, everyone can take or leave whether or not they are, but I think they work well with the series. These CD episodes are supposed to take place somewhere between the last episode of the show, and "Return to Collinwood" which is supposed to be a continuation of the show, set in 2003 or 2004, with the residents of Collinwood older. "Return to Collinwood" was NOT produced by Big Finish, it was instead written and produced by Jamison Selby, son of David Selby, and includes many of the original actors in their original roles and new roles.

Anywho, each CD put out by Big Finish contains 3 episodes. So, after a total of 4 discs, which comprise the first season, you have 12 complete episodes that time in at about 20-25 minutes, the length of the original show episodes minus commercials. The first season, or the first 4 discs, had a minute overarching storyline, but were largely stand alone episodes, with each disc starting a storyline at the beginning of the disc, then wrapping that story up at the end of the disc. There are subtle clues throughout the first 3 discs which hints at what's coming on the 4th disc, the last three episodes.

So, in summary, the first 12 episodes, contained on 4 separated CDs, are basically stand alone stories on each disc with a small overarching theme. The second season, which I'm going to guess is going to be comprised of 4 discs as well, equalling 12 episodes once again, has been said to have a more intertwined story that continues from disc to disc, instead of being so stand alone-ish.

If you want to think about it this way: The first 4 discs released were the first season. And just like a television show, the season had stand alone episodes with an overall theme, but that theme was wrapped up at the end of the season, but still left small questions for a cliff hanger. So, now you're stuck waiting all summer (or winter as the case may be) for the second season to start, so that the series will continue and you can get the answers you want.

Basically--the discs are released every few months when the new season is ready to be shipped out, so there will be some waiting inbetween the discs. But now that the entire first season is released, you can order all 4 discs at the same time, and get all the story for that first set in one sitting.

Hopefully I haven't confused you entirely and haven't repeated myself too much. I've been up since early, so my brain isn't what it once was. :D
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 05, 2008, 07:24:56 AM »
what? that's out of print? that like JUST came out NOT long ago! i NEVER saw it in ANY store when & i did look!  [8311]

B.Collins, perhaps you're thinking of the book's sequel, The Salem Branch, which debuted last year.  I've seen this one at Borders stores before and you can buy it online at amazon.com.

It's Lara's first book, Angelique's Descent, that is out of print (it was published in 1998).  The audiobook was recently released to make the story available again; these CDs are in print. 

ProfStokes

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 05, 2008, 10:17:06 AM »
can you get "Return To Collinwood" on disc in stores? or just onilne? & i forgot that she did that sequel! i havent' seen that one in stores either. buut it HAS been QUITE awhile since i was last in "Borders"

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #230 on: January 06, 2008, 03:16:49 AM »
"Return to Collinwood" may be offered through MPI, I'm not 100 percent sure though. I picked up my copy at the festival in 2006 when I went, and I belive they had some for sale there last year, so MPI may offer it on their website.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 06, 2008, 05:25:05 AM »
MPI may offer it on their website.

It's an MPI release [click here], but it's on various sites that sell audio CDs (Amazon, cdUniverse, etc.).  Besides Googling it, you could try asking your local Best Buy to order it for you.

Offline ZackGolem

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 31, 2008, 08:43:50 PM »
So is "the second season" on or isn't it? Guys should update their website.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #233 on: February 01, 2008, 11:01:35 PM »
As far as  I know it's still happening...any word when the other radio shows will be downloadable? They are just now implementing Doctor Who.

Offline DSReborn

• Junior Poster
  • Dark Shadows from Big Finish Productions
    • View Profile
    • Big Finish Productions: Dark Shadows Reborn
« Reply #234 on: February 03, 2008, 03:20:01 PM »
The second series of audio dramas is being written at the moment, and Big Finish will be releasing full information once recording is completed.

The Big Finish download service is a new online facility allowing listeners to purchase our plays as high-quality downloads, as an alternative to buying them on CD.  All of the existing Dark Shadows catalogue will be offered here, starting in the next few weeks.  We'll update here and on our websites once this is live.
Dark Shadows Reborn: Official Audio Dramas from Big Finish Productions | http://www.darkshadowsreborn.com

RachelDrummand

« Reply #235 on: April 01, 2008, 08:04:21 AM »
I wonder what the hold up is for the DS downloads---I'm also waiting for Sapphire and Steel! *getting impatiant*

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 07, 2008, 02:03:22 PM »
I'll feel more at ease when I hear that the second season has been recorded.  I just noticed that the DS Reborn website is down. 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 07, 2008, 10:06:55 PM »
I just noticed that the DS Reborn website is down.

It's back now. It may have just been down for maintenance - either of the site itself or its host.

Offline DSReborn

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 29, 2008, 03:39:50 AM »
I wonder what the hold up is for the DS downloads---I'm also waiting for Sapphire and Steel! *getting impatiant*

At the moment, the contracts for downloads are being sorted.  The downloads project has involved re-visiting the rights for Big Finish's entire back catalogue - some several hundred unique productions - and we hope to roll out the Dark Shadows titles in the near future, plus announcing some new productions for the summer. Thanks for bearing with us.
Dark Shadows Reborn: Official Audio Dramas from Big Finish Productions | http://www.darkshadowsreborn.com

Offline DSReborn

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 17, 2008, 10:40:04 PM »
Big Finish's range of Dark Shadows audio dramas are now available as online downloads, offering a reduced price from the CD versions. At the moment, the first three plays are available, and more titles should be added soon. For more information, visit http://www.bigfinish.com/Dark-Shadows