Author Topic: Dark Shadows: New Audio Dramas from Big Finish  (Read 80061 times)

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows: New Audio Dramas from Big Finish
« Reply #420 on: February 22, 2011, 10:27:15 PM »
Matthew Waterhouse, aka Adric, wow! That takes me way, way back!

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #421 on: March 09, 2011, 04:26:52 AM »
Chris Pennock just announce he will be in the next BF audio drama!

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 09, 2011, 08:17:48 AM »
Really?  Where?

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #423 on: March 09, 2011, 01:08:18 PM »
Yes, I'm pleased to say that Chris will be appearing in an audio drama later this year; We'll update with more information as we gear up for recording.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #424 on: March 11, 2011, 12:22:40 AM »
thanks Stuart we are all looking forward to his recording
beth

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #425 on: January 29, 2012, 04:04:01 AM »
5 New Audio dramas for 2012, starting next month:
http://www.bigfinish.com/Dark-Shadows?Page=2

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #426 on: January 29, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
Actually, scratch that, there are gonna be a total of 11 released this year!
http://www.bigfinish.com/news/Dark-Shadows-11-New-Tales-This-Year

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 29, 2012, 03:13:19 PM »
Yes!  11 and that's not counting at least one music release, if they follow their past pattern. I love classic themes interwoven with new music.  No word on The Time Petoffi yet, either....

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 29, 2012, 05:32:29 PM »
Is there a blog somewhere where a fan, or fans, review these recordings?  I see that there was a story last year where Cassandra and Tony Peterson reunited and Lara and Jerry reprised their roles.  Sounds interesting.  Of course, I still haven't caught up with the Barbara Steele and Jonathan Frid Barnabas story...

I ask about a blog because nobody here is reviewing the discs and it would be interesting to at least read about them.  Thanks.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 29, 2012, 05:59:25 PM »
the timeline on that reunion would be strange indeed...

since "cassandra" was just angelique in a disguise to trick barnabas, and not an actual person, i can't really see how/when a "reprisal" would ever make sense. since barnabas knows who she really is there would really be no reason for her to revive that guise ever again.

then again these recordings seem to exist in some parallel DS universe so perhaps continuity isn't a concern.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 29, 2012, 08:14:18 PM »
michael, this is the episode premise as given on the site...it sounds a lot like Strange Paradise (which I don't think you've seen)--the first 13 weeks of Strange Paradise when everyone was trapped on the island of Maljardin and began to die strangely, one by one...

quote:
Moments after welcoming his guests to a party, millionaire Harrison Pierce is murdered. But his death is only the first of many as, trapped on an isolated island, his guests start to die in increasingly bizarre ways.

Attorney Tony Peterson must join forces with a woman who destroyed his life years before, the beautiful but deadly Cassandra Collins. But can she be trusted? And what really is the secret of the mysterious Death Mask? (end quote)

The author is someone named Mark David Passmore and our own Darren Gross was the director!

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 29, 2012, 09:10:04 PM »
as ever the timeline of these alternate DS universes has me mystified...

since angelique's modus operandi is to drive barnabas bananas what the heck does she want with tony peterson? and since nicholas blair destroyed "cassandra", then brought her back as a vampire, who then became model/housewife extraordinaire mrs.shyler rumson, when/how is ang brought back again? and again since the whole "cassandra" disguise was to fool barnabas and vicki there's really no need to ever revive it.

and is this taking place in the 70's? the 80's? none of it makes any sense. it just sounds like a very flimsy pretext to get parker and lacey together in this series. [snow_silly]

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 29, 2012, 11:12:09 PM »
Actually I think these audio dramas fit into DS continuity fairly well. Yes there are the occasional problems and contradictions, but these were evident on the show itself. It's hard to keep track of EVERYTHING that's established in 1225 episodes. The 8 full cast dramas take place a decade or so afte the series ended. I'm guessing, but that seems about right. They also take place before Return to Collinwood. The "dramatic readings are like puzzle pieces that fit in whereever the author wants them to. Some take place during Quentin's wanderings, one is set during the later life of Charles Delaware Tate, etc. In terms of the "Cassandra" and Tony one that's already been released (Death Mask), it concerns a chance encounter between Tony and "Cassandra". He happens to see her and remembers her. As I recall she was using the guise because being the former wife of Roger Collins could give her opportunities that other women could not have access to. There's no contradiction between the Rumson moniker she was using .She's like many shady people. She has many aliases she can use and picks the one that best fits the moment.  I'm sure if she wanted to infiltrate a modeling studio, she'd go back to being "Mrs. Rumson".  I think if you give them a listen, you'll see that they are a valid continuation of DS. In fact, with the exception of the new comic, they are the only licensing that's ever been a valid continuation of the original show. I'm lumping Return to Collinwood in with them because it serves as a sort of "backdoor pilot".

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 31, 2012, 03:40:50 AM »
ITA that the audios work very well as a continuation of the DS story, the continuity between the tv series and the audios works really well imo. They're spooky stories with the original cast reprising beloved roles, I am mystified why so many fans are opposed to checking these out.
Return to Collinwood is intended as being the future of the full cast and dramatic readings, and one of the new characters from RtC has been brought into the audios.
The time placement for the Cassandra/Tony story is unclear, but I thought it worked best as being how Angelique of 1971 kept herself entertained while Barnabas was in the past. She just used to Cassandra Collins identity for the society connections the name carried. It's worth mentioning that Angelique again used the Cassandra identity in RtC.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 31, 2012, 04:32:31 AM »
i've checked them out. i just don't like them.

and frankly including actors from the 1991 series and the unsuccessful 2004 pilot muddy the situation for me even more.

having a different actor playing barnabas, then dragging frid in at some later point. it just seems messy and ill thought out. and having actors in their 70's trying to sound like people in their 30's doesn't work.

the whole thing just feels off to me.