Author Topic: Dark Shadows: New Audio Dramas from Big Finish  (Read 80086 times)

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
Re: Dark Shadows: New Audio Dramas from Big Finish
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2006, 06:47:54 PM »
I was looking at (I thought) Dr. Who CD titles and came across a writer's cred in your name.  Oops?
You might be thinking of Scott Alan Woodard, who wrote the fourth DS CD, "The Rage Beneath"...  He's contributed to the "Doctor Who" range.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2006, 10:05:53 PM »
You might be thinking of Scott Alan Woodard, who wrote the fourth DS CD, "The Rage Beneath"...  He's contributed to the "Doctor Who" range.

Well, this isn't where I saw it before, but I do recognize the title ("Oracle Of Delphi")--  http://www.androzani.com/bfbscds.shtml

Offline Scott H

• Dark Shadows Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Big Finish Productions
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2006, 10:40:38 PM »
Well, this isn't where I saw it before, but I do recognize the title ("Oracle Of Delphi")--  http://www.androzani.com/bfbscds.shtml

Oh, that would seem to be one of mine after all! It's one of Big Finish's upcoming "Bernice Summerfield" CDs, which I guess is a sort of "Doctor Who" spin-off range... So, um, yeah: that's me!

Glad we finally got to the bottom of that confusion! And now, back to "Dark Shadows"... probably :)

Cheers again,

Scott
Dark Shadows: a legend reborn on audio
http://www.darkshadowsreborn.com/

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2006, 06:43:44 AM »
I just posted my review of 'The House of Despair' in 'Current Talk.'  I am also going to post it over on my 'Shilling Shockers' message board.

- Penny
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2006, 03:00:43 PM »
Listened to part of House of Despair on the way into work this morning. I can't get over how much John Karlen sounds like Willie. I feel as though I have stepped back to 1967. Can't wait to listen to more. I hope Jerry Lacy will be brought in as Trask on a future CD.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2006, 04:44:30 PM »
I agreed whole-heartedly with your review of "House of Despair".  I thought the follow-up was equally good.

I just posted my review of 'The House of Despair' in 'Current Talk.'  I am also going to post it over on my 'Shilling Shockers' message board.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2006, 04:48:37 PM »
The website says the secret scene was recorded at the Fest.  I'm hoping the castmember is Nancy Barrett.  A cameo from Carolyn would certainly fit the promise that it will toy with our emotions.

My first guess, as the most likely person would be Nancy Barrett.  I also thought it might be Betsy Durking.  BUT it occurs to me that the person might be someone who was not at the Festival.  Alexandra Isles (Moltke) comes to mind.  She is based in New York.  While she's not attended the Festivals, she has agreed to be interviewed.  Perhaps after all this time, she's consented to give some closure to her character.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows: New Audio Dramas from Big Finish- Man on Train
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2006, 04:51:32 PM »
Did anyone catch the cameo of the "Man on the Train"? I would never have caught it myself, but I got a clue at the Festival.  I got confirmation from Stuart and Scott.  I will respect their wishes and not reveal who it is, but thought I'd post the hint to spark some discussion.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows: New Audio Dramas from Big Finish-Review of "House of Despair"
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2006, 04:57:39 PM »
Here's the review I posted on Amazon.com
Big Finish scores huge with their continuation of the "Dark Shadows" mythos. David Selby, Lara Parker, John Karlen, and Kathryn Leigh Scott reprise their famiiliar roles in this all new audio drama. The opening parallels the first episode of the TV show as Quentin returns home (listen for a surprise cameo by another DS actor in the opening scene). He returns to find his ancestral home of Collinwood deserted, the property of a demonic presence. He decides to join forces with Angelique to fight it.

The plot moves briskly through the 3 episodes. Each character is adeptly but succinctly re-introduced. The stories were designed to be accessible to the unitiated; newcomers to the town of Collinsport should have no trouble keeping track of who is who.

The mood is enhanced by a mixture of familiar and new music. The new pieces graft themselves seamlessly to the Robert Cobert classics. Fans will no doubt remember "I'll be With You Always", the Blue Whale music, and of course, "Quentin Theme".

The sound effects are also chilling. Most effective are the flock of birds [spoiler]that attack Willie and Quentin.[/spoiler]

Of course, the acting is top-notch. The play opens with the hauntingly familiar "Angelique laugh". The actors step into their roles as if no time had passed since the show wrapped.

I thought I knew what to expect from this play. The ending throws a curve that I would never have anticipated. In the end, I wound up enjoying the series more than I would have thought possible when I opened the wrapper. Believe me, I was eagerly anticipating the release of this story all summer long.

If you are a fan of the original show, you must own this disk. If you love gothic horror, you'll probably find many thrills and chills. Look for the next three stories in this series. The second, "Book of Temptation is immediately available.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2006, 05:12:40 PM »
Welcome, The Doctor and K9!

Enjoyable review.  [thumbleft]  A spoiler box was added to the mention of a particular (tense) scene.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2006, 05:13:33 PM »
Just idle curiosity here - so feel free to ignore this - but dare I ask which one...? I'm ever so slightly intrigued!

I know the feeling.   Sword of Orion with McGann (eighth Doctor).    I've decided he's great for audio.     Honored to have you here!

M Rainey.... thanks very much for that.   Before I saw the caption, that was exactly what I was thinking.    He's not getting better at those short hops at all!

Buzz... the moment you're thinking of may be something vaguely like: "Certainty?  Everyone does that ad nauseum.  I just sort of hope!"  I've always liked that line.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2006, 05:41:24 PM »
Did anyone catch the cameo of the "Man on the Train"? I would never have caught it myself, but I got a clue at the Festival.  I got confirmation from Stuart and Scott.  I will respect their wishes and not reveal who it is, but thought I'd post the hint to spark some discussion.

Now you've got me wondering!  I went back and listened to it and altho the voice sounds vaguely familliar, I can't tell who it is.  My guess is that they did something to change the actor's voice?

Oh I'm dying to know.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline Scott H

• Dark Shadows Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Big Finish Productions
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2006, 05:51:46 PM »
Now you've got me wondering!  I went back and listened to it and altho the voice sounds vaguely familliar, I can't tell who it is.  My guess is that they did something to change the actor's voice?

Oh I'm dying to know.

That's his actual voice - no treatment at all... and I'm not saying who it is, even though it was openly revealed in the recent ShadowGram update! ;)
Dark Shadows: a legend reborn on audio
http://www.darkshadowsreborn.com/

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2006, 06:33:43 PM »
That's his actual voice - no treatment at all... and I'm not saying who it is, even though it was openly revealed in the recent ShadowGram update! ;)

LOL Just went back to read the ShadowGram and I see who it might be.     [banana2]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2006, 06:34:36 PM »
BUT it occurs to me that the person might be someone who was not at the Festival. 

The cameo was recorded at the Festival hotel with one of the weekend's guests.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online