Author Topic: Dark Shadows: New Audio Dramas from Big Finish  (Read 80069 times)

RachelDrummand

Re: Dark Shadows: New Audio Dramas from Big Finish
« Reply #165 on: February 09, 2007, 07:09:21 PM »
Hmmm...well that concerns me. I'm going to have to see what's going on then. Our mail person isn't the most reliable.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #166 on: February 09, 2007, 07:57:58 PM »
As of yesterday I still haven't received mine yet. Hopefully when I go out to the mailbox today they'll be waiting for me.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #167 on: February 10, 2007, 07:07:56 PM »
*sighs* Still nothing...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 10, 2007, 07:19:39 PM »
RachelDrummand, mine arrived last Saturday, so it seems unusual for you to have not received them yet.  You may want to contact BigFinish to find out if they've shipped, or when.  mailorderenquiries@bigfinish.com

RachelDrummand

« Reply #169 on: February 10, 2007, 10:35:29 PM »
Just sent them an email. Thanks

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2007, 09:08:45 PM »

I received the CDs this weekend and am really looking forward to listening to them.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

RachelDrummand

« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2007, 11:35:54 PM »
Received an email from Big Finish today saying they shipped them around the 25th of January and should arrive any day now. I'm hoping by tomorrow or Wednesday. This is a bit disappointing. I don't remember the first two cds taking this long to get here.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2007, 03:43:33 PM »
I've had much experience with packages from the UK.  The wait time varies greatly.  I've had packages come in less then a week, while others have taken as long as a few weeks.  My experience comes from ordering from Big Finish, other companies, and presents from in-laws.  We had two packages sent to us ON THE SAME DAY, with similar contents, sent the same way, by the same person.  They arrived ten days apart.  She was very concerned when the twin packages did ot arrive together, as it was a gift for my daughter.  This was not a case where we mistrusted the word of someone we ordered from.  I know it's hard, but the only remedy is patience.  We're dealing with two postal services interacting.   The system usually works fairly well, but quite often there are disappointments.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2007, 06:05:51 AM »
Anyone finish the new releases yet? I thought they were utterly fantastic! I can't wait until the second series is released. Honestly, if you are a Dark Shadows fan, and who here isn't, I think you are doing yourself a disservice in not getting your hands on these. In my opinion they are extremely well done. I don't think there will ever be an "official" progression of the series beyond the original's end that all fans will accept, but these are a real fun way to revisit the series.

SPOILERS FOR REAL!! Do not read unless you know the ending to The Rage Beneath!

[spoiler]I can't believe the cliffhanger at the end. I mean seriously! Quentin can't die, he's got the portrait, Barnabas should have been able to will himself off the ship. Either way I'm now dying for the second series!
It did take a bit to swallow the idea that Barnabas would burn his father's rival's shipyard to the ground as a youth, but who knows.[/spoiler]

RachelDrummand

« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2007, 07:04:25 AM »
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive! :(

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2007, 07:08:50 AM »
No way! Have you contacted anyone about it?

RachelDrummand

« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2007, 07:11:05 AM »
*sighs* I contacted a rep from Big Finish on the 12th and she said they should arrive any day since they were shipped on or shortly after the 25th of Jan. I'm wondering if just my copies fell off of Widows Hill....

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 27, 2007, 10:16:03 PM »
I don't think there will ever be an "official" progression of the series beyond the original's end that all fans will accept, but these are a real fun way to revisit the series.

I personally consider these to be official.  These are original dramas, sanctioned by Dan Curtis Productions, using the original cast in their familiar roles.  So far, I've seen nothing that does not fit the continuity set by the TV series.  One might argue that books might also be part of the continuity.  In the case of DS, none could really be counted.  Each book is inconsiistent with what was shown on TV.  The only book that would have claim to a canonical status would be Rainey's Labyrinth of Souls.  Unfortunately, it was never published.  Had it been, there would have been a discrepency between the audio series and the novel (assuming Big Finish hadn't taken care to avoid contradicting it).   In that event, I'd favor the audio series.  Dark Shadows was a drama.  The audio series is closer in form to the series in that it tells stories using actors to tell the story.  I see no reason to disregard these stories simply because they don't have video. 

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 27, 2007, 10:45:09 PM »
Just a comment on Arashi's post, giving my own views on the subject of a "continuation" of Dark Shadows:

I'm sure the Big Finish shows are wonderful in their own right, but by the established rules of fan culture, they cannot be considered "canon."  Canon ONLY consists of material aired on an original episode of Dark Shadows, 1966-1971.

Incidentally, I suppose I am rather strict in what I consider to be canon.  I definitely do not take information contained in either of the feature films (hoDS/NoDS) as canon (only logical since the narrative of hoDS blatantly contradicts established canon).  I also do not regard material in the 1991 remake as canon for original DS.  It is its own canon for the DS/91 universe.

G.

jase

« Reply #179 on: March 05, 2007, 03:06:17 PM »
I just wanted to drop in from my endless slumber of the ages to comment on how shocked and pleased I was to discover, while looking into some Doctor Who stuff, that Big Finish was now doing DS audios as well.  I think this can only be a great boon for the franchise and any future it may have, as BF did a lot for Who in a long dry spell.  They also have some insanely creative people at work there.  While I don't know how good these first DS audios or if they broke much new ground the way BF seemed to for Who, it has stirred my own creative bone about the show for the first time in a very long time and I hope it brings great things.  I will have to consider purchasing them, not that I have money for anything these days.