Author Topic: Dark Shadows: New Audio Dramas from Big Finish  (Read 80083 times)

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows: New Audio Dramas from Big Finish
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2006, 05:17:49 AM »
I agree, no one can replace Jonathan as Barnabas!!! Jerry Lacey is a good actor, but he has too distinguished a voice as Trask to do Barnabas.

[spoiler]So who did they get to play Barnabas on the audio tapes?? I agree, rather against DS canon!!
I suggest that those of us who are mainly JF fans rather than of the show in general not buy the audio tapes[/spoiler]--I myself am very picky about the DS stuff I will buy.....

Offline DSReborn

• Junior Poster
  • Dark Shadows from Big Finish Productions
    • View Profile
    • Big Finish Productions: Dark Shadows Reborn
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2006, 10:21:49 AM »
Hey, I just thought of something. Are the audio dramas going to be official? What I mean is, if something happens to a character in one of the stories, say for instance Quentin, does that mean that's now part of the DS story line?

The audio dramas are an officially sanctioned continuation, fully licensed and approved by Dan Curtis Productions.
Dark Shadows Reborn: Official Audio Dramas from Big Finish Productions | http://www.darkshadowsreborn.com

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2006, 02:52:38 PM »
Hey, I just thought of something. Are the audio dramas going to be official? What I mean is, if something happens to a character in one of the stories, say for instance Quentin, does that mean that's now part of the DS story line?

We had a conversation about this a few months back.  I think most fans were in agreement that there are several 'canons' to DS (i.e. original series, NBC revival, both movies, Ross novels etc...).  So I don't think that what happens in these dramas will be part of any of those canons, rather it will have it's own canon.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2006, 11:40:35 PM »
I agree, no one can replace Jonathan as Barnabas!!! Jerry Lacey is a good actor, but he has too distinguished a voice as Trask to do Barnabas.

My thoughts exactly! Every time I hear Jerry Lacey, I automatically think of Trask. The same could be said for any other DS actor who tried to portray a different character on the show.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2006, 04:29:21 PM »
I hear a booming, overdone (in a great way) voice from Lacy and I think Trask.    Parallel 1970 Trask never qualified to me.    So if JL manages a good Barnabas voice, I could be won over.    Great acting for the character would win me over completely.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2006, 04:58:54 PM »
I hear a booming, overdone (in a great way) voice from Lacy and I think Trask.    Parallel 1970 Trask never qualified to me.    So if JL manages a good Barnabas voice, I could be won over.    Great acting for the character would win me over completely.

Very true!  PT Trask was [spoiler]a more timid Tony Peterson, not at all like the other Trasks.  I only wish a PT Trask had appeared in 1841 PT.  Flora & Julia had said there were Trask's there, they owned the bakery on Front Street![/spoiler]

I thought JL was great as Bramwell in the re-inactments on Sunday, so I could see him playing Barnabas too.  I'd rather have him than Ben Cross play Barny any old day!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2006, 03:01:16 PM »
[spoiler]I only wish a PT Trask had appeared in 1841 PT.  Flora & Julia had said there were Trasks there, they owned the bakery on Front Street![/spoiler]

I always want a Trask.   And I always want him to die in as tiny a space as possible.   A bakery?    Suddenly I am imagining a partnership with a lady barber who supplies him with all the pie fillings he needs, cheap.    They never did plagiaristic homage to Sweeney Todd... I wonder if it was on Dan Curtis's famous rip-off rolodex?

Unrelated really, but [spoiler]I enjoy Lamar dying in utter obscurity after struggling to draw attention to himself and become the hero of the story for months.   And of course, his getting shot then having to deal with that simultaneously with "Huh?  Where the hell am I?   Wait, no time to figure it out, I'm..."  Dead.[/spoiler]

I wonder if the trade of baker was passed on through the PT generations.    In PT 1795, maybe Witch Non-Pursuivant Trask delivered fresh-baked cookies to PT Victoria Winters if she existed.    Mmmmmmm! says Vicki, right before making him her slave.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2006, 03:32:08 PM »
A bakery?    Suddenly I am imagining a partnership with a lady barber who supplies him with all the pie fillings he needs, cheap.    They never did plagiaristic homage to Sweeney Todd... I wonder if it was on Dan Curtis's famous rip-off rolodex?

LOL Magnus!  I actually saw Sweeney when I was in NY for the Fest, it was FABULOUS!  I highly recommend everyone seeing it!  Anyway, you're right, that would have been a great rip-off for DC, but somehow I think Standards & Practices at ABC would have put the kabosh on cannibalism, LOL!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2006, 03:53:01 PM »
LOL Magnus!  I actually saw Sweeney when I was in NY for the Fest, it was FABULOUS!  I highly recommend everyone seeing it!  Anyway, you're right, that would have been a great rip-off for DC, but somehow I think Standards & Practices at ABC would have put the kabosh on cannibalism, LOL!  ;)

"And when I say that there is no cannibalism WHATSOEVER on the ABC network, I do mean that there is a certain amount..."

I almost saw Sondheim's ST 24 or 25 years ago.  My sister had the album and I was listening to it relentlessly except for side four, because I was saving the climax.   At the last moment, my sister's boyfriend called me requesting that I not go with them, so that he and she would have a chance to use the evening to fix their relationship.   I'm such a nice guy, I agreed.    It fell apart, I got poor, and no ST.

That's my kind of musical, the oddball and/or unsettling ones.   Cabaret, Paint Your Wagon, Phantom of the Paradise, Rocky Horror...

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2006, 04:04:26 PM »
I actually saw Sweeney when I was in NY for the Fest, it was FABULOUS!  I highly recommend everyone seeing it!
They'd better move quickly. The last performance is tomorrow.  ;D Supposedly, there will be a national tour of the show beginning next summer, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Tim Burton is doing a film version starring Johnny Depp. Dreamworks confirmed it was on their slate just this past week. It's supposed to start filming early next year and be released in late 2007 or early 2008.

Apologies if this is getting a little too far off topic.  :)

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2006, 04:19:48 PM »
A film version of Sondheim, or a film of the story that predates the musical?   Apparently a movie was made long before Sondheim made a musical out of it.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2006, 04:55:37 PM »
A film version of Sondheim, or a film of the story that predates the musical?
Of Sondheim. Depp has said in recent interviews that he will obviously have to take voice lessons for the role.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2006, 05:48:39 PM »
Was just discussing this with my daughter who's mad crazy for Johnny Depp....but loves musical theatre even more.  Her take on it: "He'd damn well better be able to SING the role!!"  >:(
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2006, 07:29:16 PM »
Apologies if this is getting a little too far off topic.  :)

No problem because there are actually several topics of late on this board that need to be split up into separate topics because discussions have cropped up that have little or nothing to do with the topic's original title/premise. I haven't gotten around to doing the splitting and retitling yet. But once I do, your post will be much more on topic than it might appear at the moment.  [b003]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2006, 09:58:50 PM »
They'd better move quickly. The last performance is tomorrow.  ;D

REALLY??!  I didn't realize we were seeing one of the final performances!  Well now I'm doubly glad we went. ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"