Author Topic: Dark Shadows: New Audio Dramas from Big Finish  (Read 80076 times)

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows: New Audio Dramas from Big Finish
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2006, 06:40:43 PM »
Welcome, The Doctor and K9!

Enjoyable review.  [thumbleft]  A spoiler box was added to the mention of a particular (tense) scene.

Ok, thank you!  I'll be more aware of that in the future!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2006, 07:46:41 PM »
It's one of Big Finish's upcoming "Bernice Summerfield" CDs, which I guess is a sort of "Doctor Who" spin-off range... So, um, yeah: that's me!

I"m especially looking forward to the DAVROS miniseries!  One thing I like about Big Finish is their willingness to dig deeply into characters like Davros, the creator of the Daleks.  If Book of Temptation is any indiction of your writing ability, I'm sure I'll love the Davros CDs.  I'll get to the Benny story eventually.  I bought Seasons 1-4 during the summer sale.  I'm currently in the middle of Season 4.

I'll post a review of Book of Temptation as soon as I figure out how to handle the spoiler box.

Offline Scott H

• Dark Shadows Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Big Finish Productions
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2006, 08:01:07 PM »
I"m especially looking forward to the DAVROS miniseries!  One thing I like about Big Finish is their willingness to dig deeply into characters like Davros, the creator of the Daleks.  If Book of Temptation is any indiction of your writing ability, I'm sure I'll love the Davros CDs.  I'll get to the Benny story eventually.  I bought Seasons 1-4 during the summer sale.  I'm currently in the middle of Season 4.

Nice to know you've been bitten by the Big Finish bug... I should probably point out that I've not actually written for the "I, Davros" miniseries, although all three Dark Shadows Reborn writers have been involved in some way: Stuart Manning's doing yet more splendid covers for the range; Scott Alan Woodard - writer of the final Dark Shadows story, "The Rage Beneath" - has written the fourth instalment; and I'm actually in a few. And it's all just one massive coincidence!  :D
Dark Shadows: a legend reborn on audio
http://www.darkshadowsreborn.com/

Offline DSReborn

• Junior Poster
  • Dark Shadows from Big Finish Productions
    • View Profile
    • Big Finish Productions: Dark Shadows Reborn
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2006, 03:29:50 AM »
UK science fiction magazine SFX reviews the first two CDs in their latest issue (149: November 2006):

"This new series doesn't play off [the original's] legend - firmly avoiding the temptation to camp it up, and providing all the polish you'd expect from a Big Finish release. The original cast is back on voiceover duties, with layers of music and atmospheric effects doing a sterling job on the gothic soundscape. It's creepy, but not frightening, in no small part because the main characters are every bit as dangerous as the enemies they face... Not knowing the past history might make a few elements confusing, but overall it's highly enjoyable, regardless of your past exposure to the series." Richard Cobbett - 4/5 Stars
Dark Shadows Reborn: Official Audio Dramas from Big Finish Productions | http://www.darkshadowsreborn.com

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2006, 10:13:10 PM »
 The newish US horror magazine PENNY BLOOD has a lengthy piece on the audios with some nice pix as well in Issue # 6.

www.pennyblood.com

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2006, 02:21:15 AM »
its not all coberts music but there is plenty of it. one mistake i noticed, they were playing blue whale music in maggies coffee shop? i guess maggie jazzed up the place and installed a juke box and loaded it with the same popular tunes that the blue whale had!

Sorry if someone else addressed this...just started reading the thread as I just received the first two CDs.  RE Coberts music in the Inn, I noted it was a Blue Whale theme, but also thought the title of the piece used was a very appropriate comment on the characters' relationships and history.  Will be finishing CD 1 tomorrow, then on to # 2.  So far, it's very enjoyable.  Also, what a great idea!  Audio dramas like old-time radio soaps on CD--perfect for commutes to and from work, etc.  I may have to write and produce some of my own (not-DS) stuff.   [hall2_grin]

Brian

Offline DSReborn

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2006, 05:40:23 PM »
www.darkshadowsreborn.com has been updated with guest star news for November's CD, The Rage Beneath, plus author's notes for the first two stories.  Visit the site to read more!
Dark Shadows Reborn: Official Audio Dramas from Big Finish Productions | http://www.darkshadowsreborn.com

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2006, 01:05:16 AM »
Great news!  Can't wait to listen to the exploits of this mysterious new character played by this classic DS actor!

By the way, I love how in Stuart's Author's Notes he tells new listeners to "beware..."   [bonny_hand]

-Penny
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2006, 04:12:43 AM »
Just a question--at the risk of sounding incredibly dumb--what does a "sticky topic" mean?I've seen several subjects labeled with that icon, but it's still a mystery to me? [hall2_huh] [hall2_embarrassed] [hall_huh] [hall_embarrassed]
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2006, 04:22:39 AM »
Sticky topics are "stuck" to the top of a board so that they always appear at the top of any given board's first page.

And it's not a dumb question at all. And please don't ever feel embarrassed to ask about anything.  [hall2_smiley]

Interestingly, in SMF 1.1 the sticky topic icon has been changed to a stick pin which should hopefully help to make it clearer to more people.  [hall2_wink]

Offline DSReborn

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2006, 01:14:26 PM »
Christmas is coming...  www.darkshadowsreborn.com has been updated with the cover artwork for the third CD, The Christmas Presence.

Offline Scott H

• Dark Shadows Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Big Finish Productions
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2006, 02:29:23 PM »
You missed a trick with that tagline, methinks... In keeping with the rest of the series, it really should have been Christmas draws near...  :)
Dark Shadows: a legend reborn on audio
http://www.darkshadowsreborn.com/

RachelDrummand

« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2006, 01:36:39 AM »
Is there a delay in production? I thought the next two cds would be released in Nov.

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2006, 05:25:02 AM »
I'm with you RachelDrummand.  Where are my cds?
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2006, 02:22:20 PM »
Yes, the site does say it will be released in November 2006---no info on the site as to why the delay, either... [santa_huh]
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."