Author Topic: Dark Shadows: New Audio Dramas from Big Finish  (Read 80054 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows: New Audio Dramas from Big Finish
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2006, 07:36:00 PM »
[spoiler]...i will say that mangus trask's fears came true as they did do a re-cast for barnabas.

that is so pointless and unecessary!i know that he is supposed to be the set piece character for this whole thing but if they couldn't get frid they should have omitted him as a character.with quentin and angelique on board they could have come up with an interesting story without him(although some reference was an inevitability).to me this re-cast did a tremendous discredit to the four original actors who participated.why not just say "you guys aren't good enough".i suppose this is just a set-up to this actor playing barnabas in the next three installments of this series.but like i said so unecessary.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I appeciated that the different voice is explained by a plot twist-- as Angelique says, Barnabas "walks in another's footsteps."  So the different voice for him wasn't at all jarring to me when I first heard it.

While I certainly feel Frid's absence <sigh>, I understand the necessity to include Barnabas in these stories.  Tremendous efforts were made to recreate the voiceovers, music, character dynamics (I got goosebumps when Quentin and Maggie were reunited), the timeless and Gothic feel of the show, the cliffhangers and the feeling of dread over Collinwood, so why not the main character, too-- the one most identified with the show?[/spoiler]

Anyway, "The House of Despair" is EXCELLENT (I've played it twice) and I'm looking forward to listening to the next one.  And I am so tickled to have our DS back!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2006, 08:35:35 PM »
I'm not putting my responses in spoiler boxes because, well, they're not, but please be aware that you risk having the stories spoiled for you if you read the hidden text in this thread.

[spoiler]So who did they get to play Barnabas on the audio tapes?? I agree, rather against DS canon!![/spoiler]

Miranda, iif you listen to the first CD, you'll find that there is nothing in there that is against DS canon.

[spoiler]I suggest that those of us who are mainly JF fans rather than of the show in general not buy the audio tapes[/spoiler]

You're entitled to feel as you do about them, but I think it's a mistake to suggest that any group of fans not buy the audio CDs.  Oh, where to begin?

First off, if the primary attraction that DS holds for you is Jonathan Frid, then yes, his absence could detract from your enjoyment of the stories.  But I know for a fact that you're a huge Angelique fan, so I would bet the stories will hold some appeal for you.

Secondly, the topic about the WB pilot is by far the most visited topic on these Forums.  Whether we loved or hated the idea, or had an opinion that fell somewhere in between, we were hungry for news about a possible new DS.  And unless it's one of the best kept secrets in fandom, there are no plans to film a new DS.  But we have these audio CDs that offer what fans have been clamoring for-- new stories (not rehashes!) with some of the original cast that are well-written and well-acted.  They make use of original music, are presented as episodes with voiceovers, and they respect the show's history.  An individual with a basic knowledge of DS can follow them, yet a die-hard fan can find many events within the story that will feel comfortably familiar.  Quentin is still droll, Maggie is still traumatized, Willie is still anxious, and Angelique is still unpredictable!

So I'm in the camp that asks fans to give the CDs a try before making pronouncements about them and to support the project if possible.

--I myself am very picky about the DS stuff I will buy.....

I think you should be picky.  But the quality of this is good and it's professional and sanctioned, and therefore I think it is so worth it.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2006, 09:30:17 PM »
I wasn't aware that they were able to get Cobert's music for the project.  That certainly adds to the attractiveness of the recordings in my book.

Thanks for the reviews, Midnite!

G.

Offline dsgal1979

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2006, 09:32:51 PM »
The Big Finish audios are a superb continuation of the show we all love.  I agree with another poster who described the goose bumps feeling.  I couldn't get enough of them and can't wait for the next round.  If we want new Dark Shadows, we need to support it.  Stuart Manning and the group have lovingly produced these discs.  [spoiler]Andrew Collins as Barnabas sounds eerily like Ben Cross (so much so that I asked Stuart if it was a pseudonym for him--it's not)[/spoiler]

Buy them and give them a chance.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2006, 01:41:45 AM »
I wasn't aware that they were able to get Cobert's music for the project.  That certainly adds to the attractiveness of the recordings in my book.

gothick,

having the cobert themes really did enhance this production.it wouldn't have been "d.s." to me without this.they even included a couple of the early "blue whale" tunes.

midnite,

[spoiler]like you i got goosebumps when maggie and quentin were reunited.i wasn't trying to be negative because i did enjoy this audiodrama.but i just felt that with selby,parker and scott on board they could have come up with something interesting without re-casting the big "B".they did it once before when these three basically carried the 1970 parallel-time storyline when frid was often absent.[/spoiler]

these new audiodramas rekindle that old debate about what is official "canon" and what is not.especially with the go-ahead from dan curtis productions.i haven't read lara parker's new book yet but since it is being released simultaneously i wonder if there is some cross over between the two mediums or if they function as self-contained worlds?i thought about asking lara that during the fest but i'm a horrible public speaker so i chickened out.

that said i will be purchasing the second installment of this series.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2006, 06:29:55 AM »
its not all coberts music but there is plenty of it. one mistake i noticed, they were playing blue whale music in maggies coffee shop? i guess maggie jazzed up the place and installed a juke box and loaded it with the same popular tunes that the blue whale had!

Offline DSReborn

• Junior Poster
  • Dark Shadows from Big Finish Productions
    • View Profile
    • Big Finish Productions: Dark Shadows Reborn
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2006, 12:07:22 PM »
http://www.darkshadowsreborn.com has been updated with a special offer for the remaining two CDs in the series, plus news about an upcoming surprise on the CDs.
Dark Shadows Reborn: Official Audio Dramas from Big Finish Productions | http://www.darkshadowsreborn.com

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2006, 05:14:06 PM »
news about an upcoming surprise on the CDs.

That's cool!

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2006, 05:48:06 PM »
How many CDs are there in each story? Is it a single CD? Just curious...
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2006, 11:00:46 PM »
Each CD contains one 3-episode story.

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2006, 03:24:52 AM »
http://www.darkshadowsreborn.com has been updated with a special offer for the remaining two CDs in the series, plus news about an upcoming surprise on the CDs.
The site says it is a cameo of a former cast member--perhaps JF? (hope hope hope...!  :D)
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2006, 07:48:19 AM »
yeah maybe he phoned it in! lol
The site says it is a cameo of a former cast member--perhaps JF? (hope hope hope...! :D)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2006, 02:25:01 PM »

You know, I know you meant that as a joke, but that's actually NOT a bad idea!  I mean, I know the guy's retired and all, BUT, if they could go to him and he could record up there in Canada, and of course pay him, why not?  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2006, 04:55:48 PM »
LOL!! Now there's an idea.

No,JF was asked to do a cameo awhile back but turned it down.  If he records anything it will be material he has been working with for the past few years.

Nancy

The site says it is a cameo of a former cast member--perhaps JF? (hope hope hope...! :D)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2006, 05:24:51 PM »
I want to clarify something regarding Jonathan and also Big Finish Productions.

Big Finish Productions contacted me many months ago asking me to forward a proposal to JF about doing a cameo in the new audio dramas.  I did.  JF declined citing wanting to remain retired.  If he does anything at all, it will be working on his website.  He gets other non-DS offers to work too but chooses to remain retired.  He doesn't care if the studio is down the street or in his backyard - he doesn't want to work, period.  His website and readings are pleasurable for him to do and that's how he wants to spend his retirement and remain in contact with fans.  Fans have been very supportive of his ventures on the website. :D

[spoiler]By the way, the role of Barnabas in the audio dramas has been cast - the actor's name is Andrew Collins. No kidding, that's his last name - Collins. ::)  So there is no reason for Jonathan to even be involved at this point.[/spoiler]

Jonathan did not do a surprise cameo and is not going to be involved in the audio dramas.  Sorry to disappoint but wanted to make this clear so no one is further disappointed  :-

Nancy