Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 173435 times)

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
Re:WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #660 on: May 13, 2004, 05:11:34 PM »
The WB should air the pilot to see if it gets good ratings. This way they could get feedback on how people like the show and then they can decide if they should air the show as a mid-season replacement.

If they do decide to pass on the show I would like to see the show on any network; even NBC. I want to see this show; I want to know if it is good.

Misa

Offline BarnabasUndead

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 13, 2004, 06:37:13 PM »
Here's a thought that just crossed my mind. I still doubt it but hey, worth a try...

IF the WB is planning on saving DS for midseason, maybe that was the idea all along. Jordan Levin said a while back at the Winter TCA's that they're considering running a series for 11 weeks, then another for 11, etc., etc. and having shared timeslots. Maybe this is part of the plan for Dark Shadows. Guess we'll know soon enough. Unfortunately, most of what I'm hearing so far is doom and gloom, but who knows.

If they're saving it for midseason, that might not be a bad thing at all. More episodes would be completed, and the competition may be less (unless they put it opposite American Idol or something). And sometimes midseason shows are brought to the plate early in case something else fails (like One Tree Hill did this season when Fearless wasn't airable).

And I dunno. I think Jack and Bobby could do well (though I'm not watching) but The Mountain sounds like a mountain of crap.

I'm disappointed in hearing how some of the Angel fans feel about New DS, and how they're reveling in it, because if it were up to me, I'd think we should all work together. I understand the business reasoning behind canning Angel, but still, I do understand how they feel, because we're sort of feeling a betrayal now too (or at least I am) if New DS doesn't hit the air.

Hm... guess we'll know more soon...

-- Craig

Offline BarnabasUndead

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 13, 2004, 06:41:56 PM »
Also forgot to add... maybe these Angel fans are just bitter, because you know that in 30 years there won't be Buffy/Angel Festivals in the way DS has endured  ;)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 13, 2004, 07:12:19 PM »
If there aren't, the Buffy and Angel fans will have no one but themselves to blame, because those sorts of things are always fan driven.....and I'm not sure why you think they won't be just as driven as any DS or Star Trek fan might......?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline BarnabasUndead

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 13, 2004, 07:30:26 PM »
I just don't think Buffy and Angel will be as timeless 30 years from now as DS has been. All of the pop culture jokes, etc., while highly amusing now, might totally fall flat in the future.

I could be totally wrong. That's just my impression :)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 13, 2004, 07:56:21 PM »
But really enthusiastic fandom is created by ORIGINAL fans first....and they'll always remember what was so funny about the humor in the first place.

Just by way of example....my daughter's school play this past Fall was a theatrical version of "Laugh In"....because much of the dialogue was from the original, the parents in the audience were hysterical, because we remembered the 60's.

I think a show like "Buffy" (don't know much about "Angel" frankly) will always resonate with teenagers because issues of self-esteem, friendship, loyalty and loss are very real.....and while the now-grown up original fans are watching, their kids will pick up on it as well.  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 13, 2004, 10:16:21 PM »
Since we are on the topic of Angel, today's article discusses the future of the show and a DS WB reference.
www.sunherald.com/
Sorry. Page must have moved already. To find article type in Angel at site's search articles engine. Article:"Angel ends with Vampire fans in mourning for the Undead".

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 13, 2004, 10:22:54 PM »
Got a 404 URL on that, Jim.  I looked around on the Entertainment page but could find no sign of the article.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 13, 2004, 10:51:24 PM »

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 13, 2004, 11:01:35 PM »
Thanks for that, darling.

[spoiler]I thought that at this point in the game, the journo was being exceptionally kind in describing Boreanaz' character as a "youthful-looking 250-year-old vampire."  Tuning in occasionally this past year, I've been shocked at how worn-out DB has looked.  I hope everything is OK with his life and health.  I well remember the first time he showed on on BtVS and how charming and beautiful he was.  sigh.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 15, 2004, 10:22:51 PM »
Given that we've seen time and again that reporters' phrasings can often be maddeningly misleading, it probably wouldn't be wise to read too much into this report from Variety, but it is intriguing:

Posted: Thurs., May 13, 2004, 5:01pm PT

Kazuaki Kiriya, Alec Newman

By JILL FEIWELL

Japanese filmmaker, photographer and musicvid helmer Kazuaki Kiriya has signed with Endeavor.

Also inking with Endeavor is Scottish actor Alec Newman, who toplines the forthcoming WB series "Dark Shadows."

Newman is managed by Acronym Management.[/b]

Date in print: Fri., May 14, 2004

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 15, 2004, 10:53:23 PM »
it probably wouldn't be wise to read too much into this report from Variety, but it is intriguing

Well MB it seems to me that this story compliments or gives credence to that earlier article referring to the future sale of the DS series to the German channel. Of course the latter news was before the WB's screening of the DS pilot. I tell you one thing, the WB would make great poker players.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 15, 2004, 11:08:16 PM »
I tell you one thing, the WB would make great poker players.

:D  Agreed.

It's also yet one more example of why we shouldn't be over analyzing every report that comes out regarding the DS pilot or any of the decisions the WB is making. The best thing has always been to just wait until the 18th when we'll learn what's actually going on from the WB themselves because they're the only source that counts...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 15, 2004, 11:34:48 PM »
Here's an article from sun-sentinel.com about the upcoming networks upfronts that mentions DS in two spots: Networks face upfront battle

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 16, 2004, 12:04:15 AM »
Well! That was interesting. Could he know something?  How will The WB announce the schedule on the 18th? Will announcements be made on the shows like EOnline, ET or Access Hollywood? Since two drama hours have already been allocated on The WB for Jack & Jill(?) and Mountain it doesn't look like there is an open slot for DS. 
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf