Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 173582 times)

Nancy

Re:WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #630 on: May 11, 2004, 11:35:41 PM »
It's not much guesswork at this point to say that the WB has not picked up DS.  The buzz certainly has not suggested it.   VARIETY's guess (and that of the trades in general) seems like a valid one at this point.

Nancy

In light of the fact that apparently most, if not all of the supposed insider info that's been posted on the WB's General board would certainly appear to be wrong, it's probably worth noting that the Variety piece is basing it's opinion on the belief that the WB is going with both Jack and Bobby and The Mountain and seemingly only those two dramas.

Now, they may very well have actual sources to confirm that, and I'll grant that I greatly respect Variety's reporting, but let's also keep in mind that they may have no way of knowing at this point that those are in fact the only two dramas the WB may be picking up. The view that DS is a longshot *may* simply be this Variety reporter's opinion. An educated one, certainly - but an opinion nonetheless. And let's also still keep in mind that just a few days ago Variety's very same reporter issued 'a very strong caveat that what's "dead" today could be "the next 'Friends' " a week from now,' which may very well still be in effect.  [wink2]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 11, 2004, 11:43:11 PM »
VARIETY's guess (and that of the trades in general) seems like a valid one at this point.

And it may very well be absolutely correct. But as their article from last year clearly shows, the trades aren't perfect forcasters by any means. And though it may actually be the case, no one appears willing to go on public or even private record to state flatly and in as many words that the pilot/series is dead so far as the WB is concerned. (Which in and of itself is a bit odd because, if indeed it is, what's the point of prolonging the agony? Well, unless they're sadistic.  :- )

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #632 on: May 12, 2004, 05:10:50 AM »
Thanks for last year's article and analysis from Variety.  That was helpful at least to me and I appreciated your effort.

Also, if it were literally dead, I would think we'd get an e-mail Shadowgram.  Historically, they have been pretty good about getting out the "big" things right away.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 12, 2004, 05:15:09 AM »
Earlier today it was confirmed that the WB has picked up The Mountain for 13 episodes, but this report on zap2it.com is the first to mention DS and LIS:

The future isn't looking bright for high profile franchise pilots for "Lost in Space" and "Dark Shadows."

Nancy

« Reply #634 on: May 12, 2004, 05:26:11 AM »
And it may very well be absolutely correct. But as their article from last year clearly shows, the trades aren't perfect forcasters by any means. And though it may actually be the case, no one appears willing to go on public or even private record to state flatly and in as many words that the pilot/series is dead so far as the WB is concerned. (Which in and of itself is a bit odd because, if indeed it is, what's the point of prolonging the agony? Well, unless they're sadistic.  :- )

I think it's more along the lines of not thinking anyone is absolutely sitting on the edge of their seats waiting to find out.  The production executives have an intellectual understanding fandoms and the devotion involved since they are the recipients of mail campaigns and monitor fan boards.  What they don't really have is a fundamental respect for that devotion while it may be annoying at times (the extreme fans who will call non-stop to pester for information), that base is what keeps shows running for a long time and then going into syndication after it's initial run. It's the same kind of devotion whereby fans who have the series on tape or DVD will still turn on the television and watch the broadcast.

There is not a fundamental respect or understanding of that devotion and this is why I believe information that could be released is not right away to, as you said, just end the speculation.

Nancy 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 12, 2004, 05:54:01 AM »
The WBTV/John Wells Productions/DCP execs involved aren't quite the people I was referring to when I mentioned someone going on record. There are certainly members within DS fandom who would indeed know if the pilot is dead or not. And I think you and I both know that those same people have been contacted and that they have not confirmed the status of the pilot one way or another in as many words. I doubt anyone would argue against the idea that they're well aware of the fact that fans are indeed sitting on the edges of their seats waiting for news. And in their cases, the intellectual understanding and fundemental respect, or lack thereof, that you are probably right about in terms of at least some of the execs isn't quite at play.

Now, of course, it could be a simple case that these people within fandom have their hands tied and they're not actually allowed, for whatever reason, to reveal that the pilot is dead. Perhaps for some reason that we're not aware, that news can't come out until the 18th or after. But there is also that slim chance that the reason they don't comment is because the ultimate fate of the pilot is still in flux.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 12, 2004, 05:55:25 AM »
Possibly good news. This article states that Dark Shadows and Lost In Space are still in contention for mid-season replacements.
www.tvweek.com/news/web051104.html#WB

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 12, 2004, 06:01:19 AM »
Thanks for the link, jimbo. The possibility that DS appears to still be in contention for a mid-season berth (or should that be birth? - as in the WB would be giving "birth" to it  ;)) would definitely explain why the people I just referred to are not commenting on DS status just yet.

Apparently that slim chance is still alive...

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 12, 2004, 07:37:10 AM »
And, it could be that the decision-maker(s) haven't made the decision yet!  Those who would be in the know don't have anything to "know."  The fact that they've confirmed a couple of their new shows for next season would seem to indicate that they've definitely decided on those, but perhaps haven't finalized which other ones will join them.
Josette

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: May 12, 2004, 08:15:23 AM »
You may be right, Nelson, though I'm still not 100%...

I can see how I came up with Phineas Frog since its kind of a play on Jules Verne's AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS character..It's one of those things where its not actual mentioned in the cartoon, but is on plush toy tags and referred to in articles and such.

Thanks folks- a poster sent me a scan of the blue boy portrait from Shadowgram- thanks to all that emailed me about it..

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: May 12, 2004, 09:10:28 AM »
Thanks folks- a poster sent me a scan of the blue boy portrait from Shadowgram- thanks to all that emailed me about it..

Would the poster who sent the scan possibly consider submitting it to one of the forum moderators with a request to upload the image here?

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 12, 2004, 12:15:06 PM »
Why would a network make a final decision NOT to go with a show....and then say "...but don't tell anybody!"

And having been told by said network that their show is not making the schedule, why would the production company keep it a secret either?  Wouldn't it be in their interest to let any other potential outlet know that the show is available?

If no one makes an official announcement, isn't that a clear indication that no absolutely final decision has been made?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 12, 2004, 04:12:23 PM »
And having been told by said network that their show is not making the schedule, why would the production company keep it a secret either?  Wouldn't it be in their interest to let any other potential outlet know that the show is available?

Well, the production company could still let other potential outlets know without goling public - that's common practice. That way, if they make a deal with another outlet, they can publicly play up that deal and downplay the initial pass.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 12, 2004, 04:21:51 PM »
Would the poster who sent the scan possibly consider submitting it to one of the forum moderators with a request to upload the image here?

Well, unfortunately for people who haven't seen the picture, we wouldn't actually post any photos from the current batches of SGs because the issues are still available for purchase from Marcy Robin.  ;)

The only way we'd consider posting something would be if it came from an SG issue that's out of print...

Nancy

« Reply #644 on: May 12, 2004, 05:42:00 PM »
The WBTV/John Wells Productions/DCP execs involved aren't quite the people I was referring to when I mentioned someone going on record. There are certainly members within DS fandom who would indeed know if the pilot is dead or not. And I think you and I both know that those same people have been contacted and that they have not confirmed the status of the pilot one way or another in as many words. I doubt anyone would argue against the idea that they're well aware of the fact that fans are indeed sitting on the edges of their seats waiting for news. And in their cases, the intellectual understanding and fundemental respect, or lack thereof, that you are probably right about in terms of at least some of the execs isn't quite at play.

Now, of course, it could be a simple case that these people within fandom have their hands tied and they're not actually allowed, for whatever reason, to reveal that the pilot is dead. Perhaps for some reason that we're not aware, that news can't come out until the 18th or after. But there is also that slim chance that the reason they don't comment is because the ultimate fate of the pilot is still in flux.

That's always possible, MB, but my feeling is that the people in fandom who do know have been told they cannot announce it until such and such a date.  They may not understand the reasoning for that themselves but in order to keep the lines of communications open with these direct sources, as you know, you have to what they ask even if you don't see the point of keeping the news quiet.   If they make the announce before getting the permission to do so, they stand to lose their credibility with the source.   So like it or not, they have to wait even if the reason seems dumb.

Maybe things are in flux.  I doubt it and would love to be proven wrong.

Nancy