Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 173598 times)

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re:WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #300 on: April 06, 2004, 07:53:13 AM »
Uh oh, I just realized that my last post makes it sound like I didn't like the '91 DS, which I actually did -- ack!  (Not that it matters -- LOL!)  I was just referring to the fact that it started out with the HODS script -- even though it did go in cool new directions later.  Anyway, the point that I was trying to make (and probably failed --  ha!) was that, like, for example, a friend of mine who was a fan of the original DS tuned into the first episode of the '91 DS for a few minutes, didn't like it, turned it off and never checked it out again after that.  So I'm hoping that the new WB DS will be different (re-imagined) right from the start so that long-time DS fans will see something new to catch their interest right away and won't be inclined to turn it off never to tune in again and give it another chance.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 06, 2004, 08:02:31 AM »
So I'm hoping that the new WB DS will be different (re-imagined) right from the start so that long-time DS fans will see something new to catch their interest right away and won't be inclined to turn it off never to tune in again and give it another chance.

I think that can go both ways.  I'm sure there's a large group who would feel lthat way and be more likely to give it a chance if they see something new.  But, there's probably another big group that would have a fit over anything different and quit watching for that reason!
Josette

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 06, 2004, 11:06:24 AM »
These new casting announcements should appeal to WB's demographics.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 06, 2004, 08:23:38 PM »
Regarding Kelly Greer and Sophia, I only glanced over the original spoilers on barnabasundead, and it dawns on me that I think I was wrong when I posted:

[spoiler]supposedly there is no Mrs. Johnson - she's been replaced by a young female servant named Kelly Greer[/spoiler]

I'm now thinking that what was actually said was that [spoiler]MrsJ has been replaced by the Sophia character. Other than being somehow involved with Willie, I don't recall much of anything else that was said about Kelly - which is more than fine with me.[/spoiler] And now that Jenna Dewan has been cast as Sophia, who knows - maybe they'll incorporate her dance background into the character and she'll be holding [spoiler]dance classes down in a room in Collinwood's basement, and that could lead to the discovery of some heretofore unknown horror.[/spoiler]
[lghy]     [lol2]     [lghy]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 06, 2004, 09:19:10 PM »
Good call, Most Mysterious Seer.

Laughing is more fun than crying, after all.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 06, 2004, 09:37:10 PM »
Well, what do you know, a news service has finally reported that Alec Newman has been cast as Barn. Check out this article on Reuters.
(Although, who knew Barn was played in the "original" by an actor who was only 19 in April 1967?!  :-   Hopefully that bit didn't originate in the Hollywood Reporter because it's amazingly sloppy reporting...)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 06, 2004, 10:10:25 PM »
Hahaha, glad it's not *my* desk that the hate mail is going to come flying across over THAT little goof!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 07, 2004, 12:40:45 AM »
No kidding, G.!  ::)

But I think it *might* have been a Reuters-only slip because I just discovered that Zap2it.com's version of the article reads:

"Over on The WB, the remake of "Dark Shadows" has found its Barnabas Collins. The 200-year-old vampire will be played by Scottish thespian Alec Newman. A veteran of The WB's soon-to-depart vampire drama "Angel" (he played Drogyn in the episode "A Hole in the World"), Newman's other credits include the recent miniseries adaptations of "Dune" and "Children of Dune."

(Just what are they paying researchers at the news outlets these day? Whatever it is, it might be too much if that Reuters bit is any indication...)

Something that I find interesting is that several of the recent casting reports are treating the news as if DS being on the WB's schedule next season is already a done deal. For example, Sci-Fi Wire's report of Newman's casting says:

"Alec Newman will play Barnabas Collins in The WB's upcoming Dark Shadows remake, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Newman starred as Paul Atreides in the SCI FI Channel minseries Dune and its sequel, Children of Dune.

Not that he's playing Barn in the pilot for a potential WB series, but that he will play Barnabas Collins in The WB's upcoming Dark Shadows remake. An example of more sloppy reporting? Or...

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 07, 2004, 02:29:08 AM »
Now that we have a male underwear model onboard, can Paris Hilton being cast as Julia be far behind?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 07, 2004, 02:45:40 AM »
Sadly (he said facetiously  ;)), Paris is probably too young to play Julia opposite Alec Newman's Barn. (OK, everyone - let's hear a collective "Aw, darn it!!"  :D)

But to be fair to Jason Shaw, unlike some of Calvin Klein's models, apparently he's modeled much more than underwear for Tommy Hilfiger and Versace, and he's appeared in ad campaigns where the clothes he wore weren't the focus of what was being sold (i.e. Karl Lagerfield fragrances).

Also, keep in mind, Vlad, that you yourself have said that the WB DS casting director is no slouch. So, chances are that he must have seen more than the obvious in Shaw...

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 07, 2004, 05:48:38 AM »
I think that can go both ways.  I'm sure there's a large group who would feel lthat way and be more likely to give it a chance if they see something new.  But, there's probably another big group that would have a fit over anything different and quit watching for that reason!

Yeah, you've got a point.  I think I've posted myself into a corner -- LOL!

jase

« Reply #311 on: April 07, 2004, 08:15:10 AM »
he played Drogyn in the episode "A Hole in the World"

That's him?  Say no more.  I'm onboard with that.

Kelly Greer, to my understanding, is [spoiler]due to get vamped.  Which would fit Alexis Thorpe, who's played her share of villainnesses.  Hopefully we will not get another rehash of the "cops with crosses" scene.[/spoiler]

The trick to the new DS, IMHO, will be to strike a finer balance than, say, Smallville, between episodic and serial.  I think you can, and probably have to, make DS episodic in primetime.  It can be done, and could help in establishing Barnabas as more than a complete psychopath.  But it has also got to keep a serialized feel, and cannot rely on 'freaks of the week.'  Something like Angel's second and third year would work for them.

Blair Brown, Martin Donovan, and Drogyn.  Yum.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 07, 2004, 01:42:01 PM »

But to be fair to Jason Shaw, unlike some of Calvin Klein's models, apparently he's modeled much more than underwear for Tommy Hilfiger and Versace, and he's appeared in ad campaigns where the clothes he wore weren't the focus of what was being sold (i.e. Karl Lagerfield fragrances).

Hmm, I'm not sure just how far you have your tongue in your cheek ...

Also, keep in mind, Vlad, that you yourself have said that the WB DS casting director is no slouch. So, chances are that he must have seen more than the obvious in Shaw...

ditto ...

Seriously, though, I just figure that given this is the WB network, the casting director is obligated to make a few non-acting choices and must keep the target audience in mind ...

Blair Brown is probably going to feel like everyone's mother on this set ...

P.S.  In case anyone wondered, I really wasn't logged in to the forum for 12 straight hours yesterday ... must have forgotten to log out ...   :-[

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 07, 2004, 02:45:29 PM »

Hmm, I'm not sure just how far you have your tongue in your cheek ...

ditto ...

In both these instances, no tongue anywhere near cheek. Those were serious comments. (If I'd intended any of it to be tongue in cheek, at least one smiley would have been in each of those two sections to convey that.  ;))

Seriously, though, I just figure that given this is the WB network, the casting director is obligated to make a few non-acting choices and must keep the target audience in mind ...

That may very well be - but why should one simply assume it?  ???  For a moment, let's imagine the notion that just possibly Jason Shaw can actually act. (Hey, it could happen.  ;)) If they'd wanted to hire a mannequin for the part of Joe, it might have been extremely easy to have done that at the outset rather than wait until so close to the start of shooting. One doesn't even need to assume that there are plenty of "actors" around who more than fit the "mannequin" bill... And if we're to hold the fact that he's worked as a model against Shaw, then should we do the same with regard to Ivana Milicevic because she's worked as a model as well? She's probably even modeled lingerie.  [haironend]
OHMYGOD - where will the madness end?!  [shockeyes]

Now, those last bits were definitely meant with tongue firmly planted in cheek.  [b003]  But I think my exaggerated exercise may have made my point. Former, current, or even future model doesn't necessarily equal, simply by its very nature, a talentless individual, now does it?  :)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 07, 2004, 05:00:19 PM »

Vlad, you seem to think that there are insufficiant numbers of stunningly beautiful people out there who also happen to be talented, well trained, professional actors.  I hardly think that can be true, considering how many young people today are enrolled in serious Film and Theatre programs.

That being the case, why on earth would  a business enterprise like a film studio stoop to hiring untrained talentless  models to be performers in TV pilots....which surely must be among the most expensive new "products" produced  by any business in America?

In other words...who in their right minds would risk the money it takes to make a pilot, by hiring a kid who can't act, just because they're cute......when cute kids who CAN act are lined up around the block?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas