Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 173196 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #180 on: March 27, 2004, 07:05:47 PM »
Never mind, now it worked! sorry ...

???

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2004, 10:51:09 PM »

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2004, 11:44:52 PM »
Martin Donovan (Roger) at a Premiere event in 2002

Okay.  I can picture him as Roger.  Appears to be over 25 at least  >:D

I guess only blondes need apply for jobs in the new series. ::)
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2004, 11:53:53 PM »
Just wondering which mansion they have selected as Collinwood. I hope its not Greystone again.

I hear ya on that one! Please, please let it have a New England feel for it. It would be hard to stomach a palm tree blowing in the breeze.  ;D
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2004, 12:16:51 AM »
I can picture him as Roger.  Appears to be over 25 at least

Trust me - according to the IMDb, he's going to turn 47 on August 19, and that's definitely over 25 - I know - I'm 47.  ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2004, 12:22:12 AM »
Please, please let it have a New England feel for it.

Well, as I said in the Dream Collinwood thread, I'm hoping for the house-moved-from-England backstory that they used in the '91 series. But time will tell...

At any rate, we may not hear about any of the locations until after the pilot completes its production, lest curious west coast fans (and you all know who you are [wave]) show up and disrupt shooting.  ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2004, 01:40:04 AM »
Regarding Vlad's post about 91's Angelique:

This is about the only thing I can remember, without prodding, from the 91 series. And I probably just happened upon it while channel surfing one night. This was probably the proverbial last straw for me. Way over the top, but I was probably and unfairly (if not, subconciously) comparing it to the more subdued style of the original.

I was going to mention in an earlier post that I hoped they would avoid these types of (what I consider) perposterous special effects in the WB version.

MB, I know you liked the 91 series. How did you feel about this particular scene?

I honestly thought it was used quite effectively. It was far more interesting than simply having Angelique's head appear in the flames, as was the case when she was summoned to 1897 by Quentin and Evan. (Though, that being said, that effect was quite good for its day.)

And if I may ask, did they use a lot of up to date special effects in the series?

Not really. And mostly everything involved Angelique and was a reworking of the same effect.

There was that scene in Episode #4. One spectacular scene in Episode #6 in which Angelique's ghost appeared to Barnabas, Julia, Willie and Sarah at the Old House:

In Episode #9 when the "bat" attacked Barnabas in 1790 (which I thought was a brilliant reworking of the way it occurred in the original) and Ang's ghost taunted him:

And in Episode #10 when Ang's ghost explained the curse:

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2004, 02:08:29 AM »
     Thanks so much for posting the links to pictures of the new cast.  I watch only a little television and none of them seemed familiar.
     Vlad, I thought the new Barnabas reminded me of the actor on Forever Night, too.  This young man seems very handsome and I am looking forward to seeing him.  However, the cast seems so young even the ones that are in there forties look young.  I hope they hire a character actor to play Prof. Stokes.  You know, just to add some realism because in real life not everyone is buff and handsome.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2004, 02:47:18 AM »
Thanks for the special effects captures, MB. It's the "blue-ish" one I remember. Pretty sure it was when they were on the staircase. Still seems a bit over the top to me, but until I see it in context, I really shouldn't be judging it.

I must admit that the first capture is pretty awesome.

Maybe I can convince an "old friend" who I lent a bunch of my tapes to a few years ago to return the favor by lending me his 91 series tapes. Though goodness knows when I'd have the time to watch them. I wonder if he bought the DVDs?  Heheheh.

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2004, 02:57:22 AM »
I loved the Angie's ghost effect - it still looks perfectly respectable after 13 years, which isn't bad going...  She's meant to be a terrifying apparition, it's a great image and a wonderful florid set piece.

DS frequently isn't a subtle show - the characters and stories are painted in big, broad strokes and I thought it fitted in perfectly.

http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

LorraineAAB

« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2004, 03:54:05 AM »
I loved the Angie's ghost effect - it still looks perfectly respectable after 13 years, which isn't bad going...  She's meant to be a terrifying apparition, it's a great image and a wonderful florid set piece.
DS frequently isn't a subtle show - the characters and stories are painted in big, broad strokes and I thought it fitted in perfectly.

Why do these remind me of the dream sequence number from "Fiddler on the Roof"? (especially Cap#5?)

"What woman is this, her righteous anger shaken,
Could it be---? Sure! Why not? Who could be mistaken?
It's a spirit who's come back from the afterlife,
It's Barnabas's 'darling' departed wife,
Fruma Angelique...."

L.
(Well, at least I didn't make the Peter Pan "I can fly" comparison....)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 28, 2004, 07:29:58 AM »
I wish I could find a photo of Czuchry when he was sporting a grunge look in the Jake 2.0 premiere. ;)

I did a bit of hunting through some magazines and, unfortunately, this is the best I could come up with on that. The original photo (from Entertainment Weekly) is small, so I tried to blow it up a bit:

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 28, 2004, 09:15:52 AM »
Darn it!  I watched Jake while it was on, but I don't remember much about that character, just that he existed!
Josette

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2004, 05:05:51 PM »
I absolutely loved Angelique's emergence from the fire in the 91 DS. It was actually quite frightening, made all the more intense by Willie's panicked reaction to it -- I think it was the first moment in the show where I decided Jim Fyfe wasn't so bad after all. ;)

--Mark

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2004, 07:45:11 PM »
I did a bit of hunting through some magazines and, unfortunately, this is the best I could come up with on that. The original photo (from Entertainment Weekly) is small, so I tried to blow it up a bit:

MB, you are a doll!

Josette, he was Jake's roommate in the premiere ep-- sort of a horney slacker IT guy.  When you think about it, it's an unusual type-- I mean the slacker IT part.

His performance is what allows me to picture him as Willie in my mind (the horney slacker part, that is ;)).

Rambling now.  :-X