Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 173432 times)

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
Re:WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #780 on: May 30, 2004, 11:42:31 PM »
It does seem rather odd that Joss Whedon would want to take on someone else's vision instead of his own.  Clearly, this author is not familar with DS history or concepts the nature of the show or even understands Whedon very well.  Perhaps, they feel that the two worlds are interchangeable and that there are no significant differences between them.  [size=-2]*sigh :-  [/size][/FONT]

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #781 on: June 01, 2004, 08:11:35 AM »
Our paper had an article today entitled "Networks dump high-profile pilots" and mentioned in general that lots of reasons cause pilots to be scrapped and that there were 120 of them.  They then have a little blurb about several prominent ones.  As to DS, it says:

"Dark Shadows (WB, drama):  Maybe The WB didn't want to put another vampire show on the air right after canceling "Angel."  Or maybe it was too expensive.  Whatever the reason, it's a bit of a surprise that this show, produced by "ER" maven John Wells and starring Martin Donovan, Marley Shelton and Blair Brown, didn't make the schedule."

However, since we know that they were presumably behind the show from the start, and they certainly knew they were canceling "Angel," that theory doesn't hold up.

Josette

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: June 01, 2004, 12:15:02 PM »
I just do not understand why members of the media have this desire to say bad things about the DS pilot in a public forum. Case in point, in this Buffy/Slayage Conference, the TV Critic for the NY Daily News allegedly stated that he heard that the pilot was awful and alluded to his willingness to prove this to be the case by going out of his way to obtain a copy of the pilot. I am sick and tired of the bad publicity this pilot has received without it first being screened by these critics. I have sent this writer an email asking for a clarification. 
www.livejournal.com/users/redsrule1/
 article re-posted at whedonesque site

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 01, 2004, 12:42:48 PM »
He's at a "Buffy/Angel" event........he admits he hasn't seen the pilot.......he writes for the Daily News, for pete's sake.....what ELSE was he going to say?

Be pissed at the WB suits who said no to the pilot, if you like, .....but don't waste your time being annoyed by a hack who writes for the 2nd worst rag in New York.....

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: June 01, 2004, 01:05:23 PM »
Annoyed in the context of it not being fair to all of the individuals and their hard work who generated the pilot. This writer is well known and respected in the TV industry and outside of the Daily News.  You ask, "what else is he going to say"? how about the truth or nothing at all?
BTW I do not think you are in a position to tell me how to "waste my time" or how I should feel about a specific topic. So I would appreciate you not making personal judgments on my posts. Thanks.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #785 on: June 01, 2004, 05:57:06 PM »
Once again, people not a part of the WB are saying that Angel was cancelled because of DS.  It just doesn't make any logical sense that you cancel something that is doing reasonably well for something that you don't even have in your hand at the time.  I think there is more to the Angel cancellation then we are being told.

I will believe that statement when Jordon Levin says it.

Further, there is no journalistic integrity in criticizing something you haven't even seen.  You did the right thing Jimbo by calling him on it.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: June 01, 2004, 07:59:41 PM »
However, since we know that they were presumably behind the show from the start, and they certainly knew they were canceling "Angel," that theory doesn't hold up.

True, the first theory doesn't really hold up, but the second might. And why I say that is because the cheif reason cited for the '91 series not finding another network willing to produce it was that the series was too expensive and no one else could afford it. One can say, "Well, the WB knew what they were getting into when they greenlit the pilot," and that is true. But greenlighting a pilot and working out the network budget to encompass every series for an entire season are two very different things. We have to remember that TV networks aren't merely in it to entertain - they're primarily in it to make money. So, it's a no-brainer to assume that the WB felt they would get a better return on their investments with the schedule they've gone with that doesn't include DS. And if financial reasons really do figure into the pilot being passed on, no amount of persuading from DS fans is likely to change their minds.  :(

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: June 01, 2004, 08:43:29 PM »
I do understand how the high cost of producing DS might be a factor with the 2004 pilot finding a home on another network. But I am with Josette on how the networks are well aware how much the production costs are when they considered DS for its schedule. For example, when Fox ordered the DS pilot script I think three years ago, they were well aware how much DS would cost if it made it to series. My recollection of the discussion here was that Fox passed on it because the story was too similar to that of the 1991 pilot. The WB too knew how much it would cost them to produce the pilot and series. In addition the network would have saved a substantial cost because it was produced in-house. In both instances I do not think the budget was the major reason why the networks passed on DS. However, selling the 2004 DS pilot to another network will be a problem for the DS producers because of its high costs. I think a network like Fox can afford the costs and still might be interested in DS.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: June 01, 2004, 10:00:41 PM »
A show's actual budget is only half of its financial equation. As I said, it's expense versus return. And it's a bigger picture issue than only one show. The WB obviously felt the schedule they've picked will potentially bring in bigger ratings and thus generate higher revenue for them versus the expense they'll put out to produce it than a schedule that might have included DS. A shocking concept for us to accept - and they might be dead wrong (I suspect most of us think so) - but that's the hand we were dealt...

As for DS being produced in-house, that might not have even been a factor. Both The Mountain and Jack and Bobby are WBTV productions - as are the mid-season pickups Global Frequency and Rocky Point. (The only WB dramatic pilot that was produced by an "outside" studio was LIS, which was done by FOX.)

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #789 on: June 01, 2004, 11:33:53 PM »
The budget is a crucial aspect in all this, and one that seriously mitigates against DS.  Obviously the WB could afford to spend that money on the series, but being able to afford something doesn't mean it represents value for money, which is the real argument when creating a network schedule.

DS was never going to be a cheap show - there's a big cast, established high-profile actors attached, expensive locations and production values, along with heavy artistic demands.  If you're looking to cut costs on the show, there really aren't too many areas you can easily save cash.

At a time when drama is increasingly expensive to produce, plus increasingly difficult to get audiences behind, DS on paper represents a big financial risk on an "oddball" show that doesn't scream mainstream appeal.

The show was always something that would require a leap of faith from a network to have a chance in today's market.  Sad though it is, within that situation, and bearing in mind the current constraints networks face to survive, I can totally understand the WB verdict, even if I disagree with it.

And sadly, the same arguments will apply to any other network that considers the show.  Which is why I'm convinced that until the marketplace changes, the show has a near impossible fight from the word go.

No conspiracy, no dark secrets...  Never forget that it's called showbusiness.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 02, 2004, 01:21:04 AM »
I never disputed the fact that DS' high production costs is a factor in whether or a not a network will pick the pilot up. Just speculating here, if WB Television Productions is aware of this financial concern, how will they then market DS to the other networks and overcome this issue in order to sell the DS pilot?

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 02, 2004, 01:32:14 AM »
Just speculating here, if WB Television Productions is aware of this financial concern, how will they then market DS to the other networks and overcome this issue in order to sell the DS pilot?

To quote my favorite renegade space pilot, 'That's the real trick, isn't it?'

;D

These are first classes sales and pitchmen- I'm sure they have ways.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 02, 2004, 01:37:40 AM »
To quote my favorite renegade space pilot, 'That's the real trick, isn't it?'

;D

These are first classes sales and pitchmen- I'm sure they have ways.

LOL!!! Thanks.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 07, 2004, 10:04:14 PM »
Last week's chat with CEO of the Horror Channel at the creaturecorner's website, indicates that "We have been evaluating the original DS as a potential staple for our launch lineup". (Oct./2004)

He does not know too much about the new DS and the WB's plans on the pilot.
www.creature-corner.com/columns/chatnickpsaltos.php3

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 07, 2004, 10:25:26 PM »
It's certainly encouraging that the Horror Channel is actively pursuing the idea of picking up the original DS. If so, let's hope cable companies decide to carry it a lot quicker than they did Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi had a fairly low clearance level when it launched in September of '92, it was over two years before my cable provider picked it up - and even at that, it remained unavailable in many parts of the country until well into DS' second run.

As for the DS pilot, even an established cable channel might have a hard time coming up with the finances necessary to produce the show, so, sadly, it's not likely that a new cable channel like the Horror Channel that's just getting on its feet could manage it.  :(

Thanks for the link!  :)