Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 173199 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #615 on: May 11, 2004, 09:09:38 AM »
A lightish brown.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: May 11, 2004, 09:18:42 AM »
Thanks, Darren, I've been dying to know the answer ever since it was announced that there was a picture of it in Shadowgram. Of course, now all I'll think of is the painting of Blue Boy when I think of Newman as Barnabas, lol. ;)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 11, 2004, 09:27:40 AM »
The style is totally inspired by Gainsborough's 'Blue Boy' but the color is not. His outfit is brown  & tan with black boots. The portrait is a huge 7 feet or so potrait. Quite imposing over the fireplace...

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 11, 2004, 10:08:18 AM »
Over the fireplace and seven feet tall!? Hmm, sounds like this Barnabas was in better standing with his parents and ancestors than the original incarnation.

I hope the pilot and the portrait both show up at the Fest, especially if it is not picked up by the WB. Fat chance I guess if the pilot is picked up though. Or even some "clips" of the pilot (picked up or not) would be nice. But even if it is picked up, the portrait debuting at the Fest would be a fabulous "teaser", along with the clips. It would be fabulous to have some of the new actors there too, but if it is not picked up, I guess that would be pointless.

PS - How many times can you use "picked up" in a paragraph, lol... ::)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 11, 2004, 10:58:21 AM »
The websites www.collinwood.net and www.barnabasundead.com have both posted a summary of a Variety article published today indicating that the DS pilot is now a "long shot" to make the WB's fall schedule.

In light of the fact that apparently most, if not all of the supposed insider info that's been posted on the WB's General board would certainly appear to be wrong, it's probably worth noting that the Variety piece is basing it's opinion on the belief that the WB is going with both Jack and Bobby and The Mountain and seemingly only those two dramas.

Now, they may very well have actual sources to confirm that, and I'll grant that I greatly respect Variety's reporting, but let's also keep in mind that they may have no way of knowing at this point that those are in fact the only two dramas the WB may be picking up. The view that DS is a longshot *may* simply be this Variety reporter's opinion. An educated one, certainly - but an opinion nonetheless. And let's also still keep in mind that just a few days ago Variety's very same reporter issued 'a very strong caveat that what's "dead" today could be "the next 'Friends' " a week from now,' which may very well still be in effect.  [wink2]

So, with all that in mind, and so that we can check his opinions after the facts of the network schedules are in, here's the text of the entire article:

Posted: Sun., May 9, 2004, 10:00pm PT

Inside Move: 'Joey' pleasing Peacock

Screening rooms abuzz with pilots

By JOSEF ADALIAN

With a week to go before the Big Six begin their upfront presentations, webheads find themselves facing facts about pet projects.

In some cases, the operative emotion is relief.

NBC's "Joey," for example, was going on the schedule no matter what. But with the finished product drawing raves from screening rooms -- and solid reviews from independent sources -- Peacock brass can rest a little easier.

Likewise, ABC's "Desperate Housewives" has been a favorite child since it was bought as a spec script and then-Touchstone prexy Steve McPherson -- who now runs ABC -- said the sudsy hour about suburban schemers boasts "such a point of view, it just jumps off the page" (Daily Variety, Oct. 22). Now that it's done, Alphabet insiders continue to gush about the Marc Cherry/Chuck Pratt creation.

Then there are reversals of fortune.

Once considered a strong contender for the WB's fall schedule, the Frog's new take on "Dark Shadows" has turned into a longshot. Odds have also grown longer for "The Robinsons: Lost in Space," which the WB won after a heated bidding war among several nets.

Instead of franchises, it seems the Frog is going back to its four-hanky roots, ordering the coming-of-age drama "Jack & Bobby" to series and preparing to do the same with the sudsy "The Mountain."

On the comedy side, heat-seekers at the WB include the Fran Drescher vehicle "Shacking Up" and the Mark Burnett-produced nanny laffer "Miles to Go." Net's laffer based on the "Blue Collar Comedy Tour" is expected to start in summer and could stay on through the fall.

As for buzz from other nets:

* Fox: "Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane's animated laffer "American Dad" is getting big laughs in screening rooms. On the drama tip, the supernatural sudser "Point Pleasant" has scared up positive reactions, while medical mystery drama "House" has some big fans (even if its serious tone and older lead make it a tough fit for Fox).

There's also buzz around "On the Inside," the high school-based undercover cop show from Glenn and Todd Kessler.

* CBS: The Eye keeps a tight lid on its screening process, making early speculation risky. That said, the Ricki Lake/Kirstie Alley laffer from Dan Staley and Rob Long is an early fave, while comedies toplined by Chris O'Donnell, Jason Alexander and John Goodman are all in the mix.

On the drama side, "CSI: New York" is already a go, leaving little room on the Eye's sked for new hours.

Both cop shows from Sarah Timberman and Carl Beverly's 25C Prods. -- "Wanted" and "The Webster Report" -- screened well, sources said. Supernatural-tinged "Sudberry" also has its fans, as does Mel Gibson's "The Clubhouse" -- and neither show is a crime franchise!

* ABC: As previously reported, Rodney Carrington's half-hour is hot, as is the Jessica Simpson half-hour (the latter because of its star, rather than the substance of the pilot). John Stamos' serialized romantic comedy is being called "cute" by many who've seen it, while Joel Stein's autobiographical comedy about his days as a Time columnist is on several shortlists.

Drama-wise, Steven Bochco's cop hour "Blind Justice" is generating buzz, as is Shonda Rhimes' medical drama "Under the Knife." The first hour of J.J. Abrams' "Lost" will be screened this week. "Housewives" and "Eyes" are also major players (Daily Variety, May 7).

* NBC: Comedy and drama faves remain the same as reported Friday, though the Heather Locklear-led "HUB" could be making it back on to the buzz radar.

* UPN: Two drama players include the fashion industry hour "Beck and Call" (can you say "Top Model" companion?) and the Taye Diggs daddy drama "Kevin Hill." Crime-themed "Veronica Mars" and "Silver Lake" also have fans, though it's hard to imagine UPN launching four dramas.

Comedy-wise, "One on One" spinoff "Splitting Hairs" is buzz-friendly, as is Jenny McCarthy's "Bad Girls Guide."[/b]

Date in print: Mon., May 10, 2004, Los Angeles

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 11, 2004, 11:05:46 AM »
PS - How many times can you use "picked up" in a paragraph, lol... ::)

[lghy]  But honestly, all of your uses of "picked up" weren't in the least bit extraneous, so don't be so hard on yourself. And besides, it's the appropriate entertainment business term - how many other terms are actually available with the exact same meaning?  [b003]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 11, 2004, 11:46:18 AM »
The Old House was not filmed at a manor location.

The interiors were shot at a the LA Theater with some clever production design work and set dressings added.

Speaking of the LA Theater, I came across two interesting photos of the interior on this site. Scroll down about halfway to the "Elegance of Another Era" section..

If this is at all representative of the entire building, it seems like the Old House will be quite different from any version we've ever seen before - and quite spectacular. Another Web site describes the interiors thusly:

"Built in 1931, the lavish Los Angeles Theatre recalls the glories of the French Baroque and France's "Sun King," Louis XIV. Its majestic six-story main lobby overwhelms audiences with a three-tiered fountain in a hall of mirrors, crystal chandeliers, a grand sweeping stairway, and gold-gilt sunbursts. And that's just the lobby. The Baroque auditorium teems with golden angels, cherubs, and flowery swags. From the rich restaurant space to the glass-ceiling ballroom, from the marble-lined ladies room to the circus-motif playroom, the amenities of the Los Angeles give theatergoers a full entertainment experience.

The theater is available for filming, live performance and entertainment, weddings, business meetings, religious services, graduations, fashion shows and special events. It has not been comprehensively renovated. Users will want the support of a rental technical package and creativity in adapting events to the space."

And here's a B&W photo of the lobby, which almost looks like something out of an old Universal Dracula movie.  ;)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 11, 2004, 04:31:56 PM »
What's this term Frog, apparently meaning WB?  ???
Josette

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 11, 2004, 04:45:05 PM »
The WB's logo is a cartoon frog with a top hat.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 11, 2004, 06:59:28 PM »
Thank you, Rainey!  I don't know if I ever noticed that.   :)
Josette

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: May 11, 2004, 11:07:20 PM »
The Frog appeared in a Warner Bros. classic cartoon from the 1950's; it had only one appearance, but the cartoon is one of the most hysterically funniest produced by the studio.  A man finds a box contained within the cornerstone of a building being demolished and discovers inside a frog which is highly talented:  it sings and dances like the male star of a Busby Berkely musical, top hat, cane and all.  The problem is, it'll only do that when the it's alone with the man.  Nevertheless, the man decides this is his golden moment to become wealthy and spends everything he has to put the Frog in a theatrical spectacular.  But - alas - as before, the Frog stops singing and dancing its heart out the moment the curtain opens.  Eventually, the man (with the Frog) is sent to a looney bin, and upon release he has had enough of the Frog and encases it in the cornerstone of the new building going up on the site of the demolished one.  Way in the distant future, that skyscraper is now being destroyed and another man discovers the Frog inside the time capsule, the amphibian again going into song and dance, so the futuristic man sneaks off with it with dreams of becoming wealthy.

Gerard

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 11, 2004, 11:07:49 PM »
That would be one Phineas T. Frog from the classic WB cartoon 'One Froggy Evening' - you know the one where the construction worker finds a frog who occasionally (and very inconveniently) bursts into beautiful songs like 'Ragtime Gal' but when put on stage, just sits there like a frog with a top hat on...

Had to pop in- that's one of my all time faves...

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 11, 2004, 11:14:18 PM »
vlad,what you say is true.while i was looking foreward to a new d.s.,i knew it wasn't a "done deal".i'm disappointed,but in truth i know a remake would never have supplanted o.s. in our hearts.

I feel your pain. I'm incredibly disappointed and could sure use some 'hugs'.  :-  What could have gone wrong? It seemed so promising and likely just a few short weeks ago.  I was prepared to love it no matter what. You're right that the original Dark Shadows will never be supplanted in our hearts.  It was unique and already talked about like  'folk-lore'. It probably had it's best shot going on The WB. From things I've read, The WB is more willing to take a chance on something not so mainstream if you will. Fox has already rejected it. Maybe it's just better to not get hopes and expectations up too high on word of any future DS projects so as to not get slapped down in the long run. I guess I can now fully concertrate on preparing to attend the DS Fest in NY without worry about the new show.  I'm so ready for vacation!
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 11, 2004, 11:18:29 PM »
That would be one Phineas T. Frog from the classic WB cartoon 'One Froggy Evening' - you know the one where the construction worker finds a frog who occasionally (and very inconveniently) bursts into beautiful songs like 'Ragtime Gal' but when put on stage, just sits there like a frog with a top hat on...

Ummm, very sorry, Darren, but it's Michigan J. Frog, isn't it?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 11, 2004, 11:29:00 PM »
The view that DS is a longshot *may* simply be this Variety reporter's opinion. An educated one, certainly - but an opinion nonetheless. And let's also still keep in mind that just a few days ago Variety's very same reporter issued 'a very strong caveat that what's "dead" today could be "the next 'Friends' " a week from now,' which may very well still be in effect.  [wink2]

First off, let me make it clear that I'm still of the opinion that fans should be preparing themselves for the real possibilty that the DS pilot/series might never see the light of day (and keep in mind that I've basically been saying that all along - not just in light of recent reports). But on the other hand  [b003], there's always hope until someone "officially" takes that hope away, and at this point no one has done that. So, with that in mind, for the fun of it I looked up what Variety reported last year prior to the networks' announcements of their schedules. Much of what was opined was quite correct. But much of it was completely dead wrong. Variety is not infallible - and the proof of that follows:

Posted: Sun., May 4, 2003, 10:00pm PT

Nets prep flight plans with pilots on tarmac

NBC getting solid buzz on star vehicles

By JOSEF ADALIAN, MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

With one week left before the Big Six nets begin unveiling their new fall skeds, a clearer picture of which pilots have a shot of snagging a greenlight has started to emerge.

Much can change between now and May 12, when NBC kicks off the annual upfront presentations to advertisers in New York.

A last-minute thumbs-up from the Bob Wrights and Michael Eisners of the world can send the cast of this week's seemingly ice-cold comedy pilot scrambling to pack for Gotham. Likewise, a batch of negative audience testing can move today's can't-miss contender to the also-ran list faster than you can say "midseason replacement."

Still, a survey of network execs and agency insiders shows a consensus starting to build about which would-be skeins seem to have landed in the finals of this year's pilot derby.

Since NBC goes first, it's no surprise buzz about the Peacock's pilots seems most solid.

Net has settled on about a half-dozen comedy contenders and a quartet of drama possibilities, many of them vehicles for well-known stars.

Execs happy at NBC

And for a change, Peacock suits won't have to force on the fake smiles when telling Madison Ave. buyers that they're pleased with this year's batch of new comedies. This year, that statement might actually prove true.

Leading the buzz parade on the yuks side: The remake of the BBC smash sexcom "Coupling" and the John Larroquette/Christine Baranski starrer "Happy Family." Both seem all but certain of getting series orders.

Peacock execs are also high on a pair of projects from Carsey-Werner-Mandabach starring Tracy Morgan and Whoopi Goldberg.

Morgan laffer -- which also lists NBC Studios, SNL Studios and 3 Arts as producers -- has the "Saturday Night Live" star as a Ralph Kramdenesque mechanic. Goldberg plays an ex-diva turned hotel operator.

Heather Locklear starrer "Once Around the Park" is also on the Peacock hot list, as is the Annie Potts/Timothy Busfield-led family comedy "Stuck in the Middle with You."

NBC execs also like "Come to Papa," a "Seinfeld"-like half-hour starring standup Tom Papa. It seems headed for midseason rather than fall, however.

On the drama side, the Alicia Silverstone romantic dramedy "Miss Match," from exec producers Darren Star and Jeff Rake, seems a sure bet for a series order. Peacock brass are also fond of Rob Lowe starrer "Lyon's Den," producer Gary Scott Thompson's "Las Vegas" and studio head-turned-producer Kerry McCluggages' "Homeland Security." It would be a surprise if NBC picked up more than two dramas for fall.

Over at ABC, there's also good comedy buzz, leading with "Platonically Incorrect."

The sitcom, which stars Tom Everett Scott and A.J. Langer as platonic best friends, has been described as a straight "Will & Grace." Show could potentially work as a strong companion to returning adult-leaning comedies such as "Less than Perfect."

"Hope" has hope

Meanwhile, the grapevine also has good things to say about "Hope & Faith," particularly given its solid leads, Kelly Ripa and Faith Ford. Laffer stars Ripa as a washed-up soap star who moves in with her housewife sister, played by Ford.

Also hot on the trail in comedy is the untitled Dan Finnerty project, also known as the "Dan Band" project, which stars Finnerty as a working class guy who winds up leading a cabaret show.

Also generating laughs: the "Notting Hill"-like Henchy/Pennette project, also known as "I'm with Her," starring Teri Polo; "These Guys," which is narrated by Tim Allen; and Michael J. Fox's "Hench at Home," which stars Craig Bierko and Fox's wife, Tracy Pollan.

On the drama side, buzz seems to be heaviest around "Karen Sisco," based on the female federal marshal character in the feature "Out of Sight." Also creating some noise: "The D.A.," about a district attorney (Steven Weber) who winds up teaming with a private investigator.

And then there's "The Flannerys," about a big-time lawyer who readjusts his life and decides to open a small practice in a shopping mall. "The Partners," from Touchstone, has also received good notice. Drama pilot revolves around a pair of female undercover detectives.

Fox, meanwhile, has already picked up two shows for what the net now refers to as its year-round sked: Sudser "The O.C." and eccentric hour "Wonder Falls."

Other hours generating heat include the Keyser/Lippman drama "No Place like Home," Steven Bochco's "NYPD 2069" and the actioner "True Calling."

On the comedy front, buzz continues to build for Molly Shannon starrer "Cracking Up," boasting an all-star behind the scenes lineup of producers -- including Mike White, the Weitz brothers and Brad Grey. Ditto for scribe Mitch Hurwitz's "Arrested Development"; "Senor White," from scribe Al Higgins and helmer Betty Thomas; and, perhaps for midseason, the Norm Macdonald starrer "A Minute with Stan Hooper."

CBS always keeps a tight lid on its development process, making early speculation something of a crapshoot.

Eye catches "Cold"

Still, Jerry Bruckheimer looks ready to cement his status as the Eye's Dick Wolf with tentatively-titled femme detective skein "Cold Cases." There's also positive talk about out-there hour "Joan of Arcadia"; the Joey Pants crime starrer "Street Boss" and the female buddy cop drama "Partners in Crime."

Comedy-wise, Eye suits seem impressed by the Nicole Sullivan laffer, the Jamie Tarses-produced "Crazylove" and Chuck Lorre's "2 1/2 Men," starring Charlie Sheen.

Over at the WB, the call of the jungle is loud and clear for "Tarzan and Jane," which leads the Frog's list of drama hotties. Basketball-themed hour "One Tree Hill," a new take on "MacGyver" and an Aaron Spelling-produced family drama also have buzz.

Yukking it up on the comedy front, Frogheads seem certain to greenlight a half-hour starring Anthony Anderson ("Barbershop"); Adam Sandler-produced "The Mayor," Holly Robinson Peete starrer "Like Family" and teen laffer "Exit 9" also are looking good.

Buzz was less clear over the weekend at UPN, which was still in the process of screening pilots.

Nonetheless, safe bets include the comedy "All of Us," given its auspices -- Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith. Also on the list, partly because of its big-name star, is "The Opposite Sex." Rapper Eve stars in the romantic comedy as a clothing designer.

On the drama side, the untitled Nanobot project -- now known as "Jake 2.0" -- appears to have the most momentum, perhaps because of its obvious potential behind existing sci-fi entry "Enterprise." Also hot are Aaron Spelling's new take on his "Hotel" franchise, as well as Joel Silver's "Newton."

UPN insiders, however, say everything's still in play at the netlet.[/b]

Date in print: Mon., May 5, 2003, Los Angeles

So, to tally up:

NBC:
Correct:Wrong:Half&Half
Coupling, Happy Family, Whoopi, Miss Match, Lyon's Den, Las VegasOnce Around The Park, Stuck In The Middle With You, Come To Papa, Homeland SecurityTracy Morgan (held for mid-season)

ABC:
Hope & Faith, I'm With Her, Karen SiscoPlatonically Incorrect, "Dan Band," These Guys, Hench at Home, The Flannerys, The PartnersThe D.A. (held until just recently)

FOX:
The OC, Tru CallingNo Place Like Home, NYPD 2069, Senior WhiteWonderfalls (held for mid-season), Cracking Up (held for mid-season), Arrested Development (held for mid-season), A Minute With Stan Hooper (picked up for fall)

CBS:
Cold Case, Joan of Arcadia, Street Boss (which was retitled The Handler), 2 1/2 MenPartners In Crime, Crazylove(none)

The WB:
Tarzan, All About the Andersons, Like FamilyYoung MacGyver, Aaron Spelling drama, The Mayor, Exit 9One Tree Hill (originally held for mid-season but moved to fall after Fearless (which Variety didn't even mention) was pushed back after initially being picked up for fall)

UPN:
Jake 2.0, All of Us, The Opposite Sex (retitled Eve)Hotel, Newton(none)

Quite clearly, nothing is over until it's actually over. And we don't seem to have reached that point just yet...