Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 173634 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #375 on: April 11, 2004, 02:20:32 AM »
Having never heard of Robia LaMorte, I figured I better look her up.  Unfortunately, the imdb didn't have a photo.  Also, between the TV guest appearances and movies, there's nothing listed more recent than 2001.
Josette, you won't find anything more recent than in victoriawinters' writeup (URL), top right photo. [wink2]

Thank you, Midnite - I figured she was probably one of the ones on that page!  I don't think I see her as a  Julia, though!

As to the more recent comment, I was referring to the fact that they don't list anything for her after 2001; it's as though her career ended 3 years ago.

-----
I don't remember much about the house from 1991, but I'm sure I was satisfied at the time, and the pictures look good!!  :)
Josette

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #376 on: April 11, 2004, 02:29:56 AM »
A lot of it is down to dressing, grading, lenses.  Looking at the 1991 series, there's a lot of times when just framing to avoid the sky would have helped...

Also, the episodes are graded with very high saturation - very typical for the time - but it doesn't help with the sunny vibe.  Colour grading is one area which has become a lot more expressive and adventurous in recent years, and that NY Post article suggested that they were going to be very dynamic with colour, etc.

Grade it to look stormy and matte in some ominous skies and it can easily look authentic and very atmospheric.

And add a tower! [clutching at straws]
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 11, 2004, 07:45:38 AM »
Count me in among those of you who hope they make Greystone look less California-ish, more New Englandy (yes, I'm aware those aren't really words -- lol!), more atmospheric, and hoping they add a (realistic-looking!) tower!

Now I have a few questions for any of you who might have an idea.  Does anyone know if they will be filming inside of the house as well as outside?  If I remember correctly, the interior of the house wasn't in very good shape or something and was not used in the 1991 DS?  That was also the reason why the fans weren't allowed inside on Fest bus trips to Greystone?  Have repairs been made since then?  Hasn't the interior been used for some other (non DS) events in recent years if I remember correctly?  Just trying to get straight in my mind what's going on.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #378 on: April 11, 2004, 09:23:40 AM »
Have repairs been made since then?  Hasn't the interior been used for some other (non DS) events in recent years if I remember correctly?  Just trying to get straight in my mind what's going on.

Generally speaking, the public is not allowed in the interiors of the mansion.  There have been exceptions with the murder mystery plays.

And yes, they did do some renovations in and around the property last year.  Our club is scheduled to make a visit in May for our annual picnic.   I'll have more up to date photos at that time.  I'll also be on the hunt for any stray palm trees.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 11, 2004, 09:51:03 PM »
The mansion also hosts afternoon concerts that include a tour of the entire first floor.  The last one was a few weeks ago.

Anyway, were the "Old House" interiors that were seen in the '91 series a set?  I will be so disappointed if the gorgeous black and white flooring was a portable job, ugh.

Thank you, Midnite -

As to the more recent comment, I was referring to the fact that they don't list anything for her after 2001; it's as though her career ended 3 years ago.

You're welcome.

Ah.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I think it's conjecture to judge a career based on an IMDb listing, but regardless of that, no, hers hasn't ended.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 11, 2004, 10:23:55 PM »
The only Collinwood/Old House sets used in the '91 series were Collinwood's foyer/great hall/drawing room and Barnabas' bedroom. Everything else was shot inside Greystone. That would include all the other bedrooms in both houses, Collinwood's dining room, breakfast room, kitchen, second floor corridor, servant's wing and closed off wing/library, and the Old House's foyer, drawing room, and even the basement. (The basement also doubled as the sheriff's office.)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 11, 2004, 10:33:26 PM »
.........and Barnabas' bedroom..)

Bedroom?  Barnabas had a bedroom?  What, pray tell, took place there?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 11, 2004, 10:36:47 PM »
Bedroom?  Barnabas had a bedroom?  What, pray tell, took place there?

ALL SORTS of things!  [wink2]
(But Barnabas had a bedroom in the original DS' 1795 story. It's just that we never saw it at any other time...)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 11, 2004, 10:49:15 PM »
So the '91 series also went back in time to the 18th Century....before he was a vampire.......

Got it.  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 11, 2004, 11:00:07 PM »
Ah.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I think it's conjecture to judge a career based on an IMDb listing, but regardless of that, no, hers hasn't ended.

I assumed it hadn't - especially since part of this thread was her hoping to land a particular part.  It just seemed strange how they had all of these listings and then absolutely nothing for more than 2 years.  :)
Josette

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 12, 2004, 04:35:24 AM »
That's the brutal, unpredictable world of show biz!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 12, 2004, 05:00:12 AM »
So the '91 series also went back in time to the 18th Century

Oh, yes. And unlike in the original series, the '91 series' Barn and Ang did, shall we say, give in to their passions (in Barnabas' bedroom) soon after Ang arrived in 1790 Collinsport - which added a layer of depth to what came later because the audience had something concrete to base their relationship on, as opposed to the original's 1795 storyline where everything between them had only taken place in a Martinique backstory in which events were up for interpretation depending on whose account of events one wanted to believe.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 12, 2004, 05:49:55 AM »
Well, I must say this is interesting:

Posted: Tue., Mar. 30, 2004, 5:36pm PT

Warners' Teuton pic pact

Tube deal includes upcoming 'Batman,' 'Potter' releases

By ED MEZA, ELIZABETH GUIDER

HOLLYWOOD -- In a sure sign that the German TV market is starting to percolate again, Herbert Kloiber's Tele Munchen will plunk down as much as $220 million over two years for upcoming Warner Bros. movies as well as TV series, animation and library product.[/b]

An interesting follow-up to this article was posted on Variety's Web site today. Basically it questions whether or not Kloiber's bit off more than he might be able to chew by making the deal for hit WB films for TV broadcast in light of Germany's booming DVD market, and for up to a dozen of WB's new and untested shows like DS and the Friend's spinoff, Joey, because most of Germany's TV outlets "cherry pick" the US shows they want to carry.

(I would have posted the article in its entirety, as I had with the previous one. However, I've become fairly disillusioned with posting such articles here only to see them reprinted, word for word, on other DS sites, without any credit being given to the forum. So, from now on, I'll be posting such stuff with greater discretion - and anyone who wants to post the entire article will simply have to pay $259/year for their own subscriptions to the Variety Web site. It's truly unfortunate when the few have to ruin things for the rest - and I'm sorry about that  :( - but...)

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 12, 2004, 06:15:07 AM »
Thank you, victoriawinters, Midnite, and MB for all the Greystone info!  I didn't know they had filmed so much of the '91 series inside the mansion -- how cool!!  Does anyone know if they will be doing the same for the WB DS?

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 13, 2004, 12:31:27 AM »
Article at zap2it.com  "WB Picks Up Everwood..." takes the position that dramas will have a hard time making the WB's fall season schedule due to the limited available time slots. I think DS will make it!